Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:54:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of a pirate.  (Read 31718 times)
sgravina

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 12:02:56 PM

I don't believe any of this.  There is no evidence that pirate even exists yet alone runs a business.

I personally am on the waiting list for a GPUMAX invite and it has both cost me nothing and returned nothing.  It is completely risk free.

My guess is that pirate is an imaginary entity that does nothing and pays out nothing.

I am considering doing this myself.  It is completely risk free, takes a minimal amount of time, and as far as I know is devoid of any legal consequences.  Plus if my wife finds out I don't think she will care in the least.

Sam

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 01:18:40 PM

Sure, I net gross 10.65% per week and payout 5.98% on average and it really depends on how much I want to work.  The process has become pretty automated lately which is nice because I can spend more time on my other projects and with the family. Smiley

So which is it? Is your "business" automated and scalable or does it really depend on "how much [you] want to work"?

pirateat40 is so full of shit and getting away with it (so far), I can actually respect it. Even the irony of his username, as another forum member mentioned in a previous thread.

But, a workable business model for a bitcoin-bank scheme actually occurred to me belatedly, when suckers were daring us nay-sayers in a previous thread, to put our money where our mouth is and bet on a default at betsofbitco.in.

Assume that pirateat40 were to bet his reserves on the bank NOT defaulting, and assume the bank didn't default. If he put enough reserves on there to push the odds to 10:1, or 20:1, with bets week-by-week, then the counter-bets would become the interest gains for depositors. The depositors themselves could place the counter-bets as insurance on their deposits (but that insurance paid would offset their interest gains, obviously). This would be a workable model for a ponzi-bank.

But unfortunately, with only about 40 BTC total in the betsofbitco.in pot and 3:1 odds against default, his claimed reserves are not in the pot so its not a bet worth making.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2012, 02:33:37 PM

So to make it clear, nothing I'm associated with is illegal.

Thus, no market manipulation either?  Wink

If you buy and sell anything with enough volume you are of course going to "manipulate" the market. There is nothing illegal about that.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:07:03 PM

Bitcoin is completely revolutionary and super needed yet its value is only climbing with some 30% a YEAR, that should give you a hint.

What on earth are you talking about? It's been way more than 30% in my world. it's even more than 1000%
As I said that is possible for a short time, but even BTC has slowed its growth now. Its been 30% a few months now.

If pirate is paying 7% a week, saw some article, that's ~44.000%/year.

In short it would have to be way bigger than bitcoin itself, yet no one knows what it even is and its all managed by one dude. Suure totally not a ponzi.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:09:38 PM

How in the world did you get ~44% annually out of 7% a week? 7% a week is 364% annually if it is not compounded or reinvested.

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:11:05 PM

How in the world did you get ~44% annually out of 7% a week? 7% a week is 364% annually if it is not compounded or reinvested.

>>> 1.07**52

or 3300% if it is compounded

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
Realpra

Activity: 815

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:19:05 PM

>>> 1.07**52

or 3300% if it is compounded
Yes, you're right, I was sloppy.

My point remains that it is crazy.

It would be compounded if someone where to reinvest their returns.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 05:35:20 PM

While you guys spend your time commenting on how crazy it is and impossible and blah blah blah, we're banking.

Thank you Pirate, for quadruplicating my initial deposit in the last 6 months! Wink
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 06:56:13 PM

hmm what about all investors on the forum remove their coins for one day. with a ponzi this would be impossible.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:04:47 PM

hmm what about all investors on the forum remove their coins for one day. with a ponzi this would be impossible.

Are you going to pay that day interest at 1%?
And how much will you pay Pirate for all the withdrawals he'll have to process?
How will you deal with those GLBSE bonds?
It's up to you to make it happen.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:05:15 PM

for an investor, its a ponzi as long as it doesnt break while youre in it
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:14:40 PM

Ive been thinking the same. Organize a Pirate withdrawal day. Anyone convinced Pirate is running a legitimate business would have nothing to fear; give pirate a headsup so he can plan a few days of holiday.  Time it to match a betsofbitcoin bet Smiley.

Of course this would only work if you could get a majority to participate, which seems unlikely, and therefore it might end up legitimizing his business regardless of merit.

Perhaps more doable is Pirate posting his wallet addresses; it wouldnt tell us all that much without knowing how much he owns his investors, but at least it might give some reassurance.

phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:17:37 PM

me? yo mad?  Cheesy

though tempting I am not invested with pirate. I keep it with buffet: "Invest in what you understand"

Also as I have pointed out before I could not stand the irony of being scammed by someone called pirate.

1000!
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:32:29 PM

I do not follow this "pirate" thing, nor do I know much about any GLBSE listed "assets".

However, please consider the following hypothetical GLBSE listed company.

Someone places BMMM IPO on GLBSE. The company does not disclose what they do, however they pay rather good dividends. Everyone is happy (for now).

What they do is the following, they convert BTC's into USD's and "invest" it into a piramide scheme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM-2011 run by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Mavrodi that reportedly currently pays up to 50% per month of "dividends". BMMM pockets 30%, pays out 20% to their "investors". They also hope that with such "profitability" they will be able to accumulate enough money to buy out the shares once the "master ponzi" breaks down.

see also (google translate if needed) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77316.0
and read up on to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome it might get applicable.

The above is a ponzi scheme by proxy which BTW is pretty close to what all the investment banks out there are doing with the central banks and ultimately the fed being the "master ponzi".

-
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:47:09 PM

me? yo mad?  Cheesy

though tempting I am not invested with pirate. I keep it with buffet: "Invest in what you understand"

Also as I have pointed out before I could not stand the irony of being scammed by someone called pirate.

1000!

LOL, Irony...

Indecision may or may not be my problem. ~ Buffett

People who think too much before they act don't act too much. ~ Buffett

And I try to give the best bang for the buck. I love performing more than anything else. ~ Buffett

Indecision may or may not be my problem. ~ Buffett

It takes no more time to see the good side of life than it takes to see the bad. ~ Buffett

Older and wiser voices can help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen. ~ Buffett

Quitting doesn't enter my mind. ~ Buffet

I sell escapism. ~ Buffet

Jimmy that is. Smiley

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 07:48:03 PM

Now, on with the show.

Would you consider producing a Bitcoin Savings & Trust branded rum? I think the two would complement each other quite nicely and plenty on these forums would buy it for the novelty value.

Not sure if this was a joke or not... and I haven't read the whole thread yet...

BUT DO THIS!
rdponticelli

Activity: 325

Our highest capital is the Confidence we build.

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:17:07 PM

Can you tell us if your business venture is converting the bitcoin you borrow to fiat or not? I'd like to invest in a PPT type thing but I wouldn't like to invest in a business that uses btc only as a transport mechanism for fiat. I'll understand if you think this would give away to much about your business model.

Well, the only reason Bitcoin is worth anything is due to it's value against fiat currencies.  At this point Bitcoin is a commodity and those that say otherwise have much more to learn.  I hope to be a part of what changes that and look to see Bitcoin as the currency others are based upon.  So to answer your question, I would say Yes, but it really depends on what you think Bitcoin is.

Let's try to bring it back on track a little. What bitcoin variables do you think can affect your operation, and in which way? Inflation, growth index? And how do you believe that your operation will be affected by the halving of subsidy in December?
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:28:56 PM

I do not follow this "pirate" thing, nor do I know much about any GLBSE listed "assets".

However, please consider the following hypothetical GLBSE listed company.

Someone places BMMM IPO on GLBSE. The company does not disclose what they do, however they pay rather good dividends. Everyone is happy (for now).

What they do is the following, they convert BTC's into USD's and "invest" it into a piramide scheme http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMM-2011 run by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Mavrodi that reportedly currently pays up to 50% per month of "dividends". BMMM pockets 30%, pays out 20% to their "investors". They also hope that with such "profitability" they will be able to accumulate enough money to buy out the shares once the "master ponzi" breaks down.

see also (google translate if needed) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77316.0
and read up on to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome it might get applicable.

The above is a ponzi scheme by proxy which BTW is pretty close to what all the investment banks out there are doing with the central banks and ultimately the fed being the "master ponzi".

Wow, a pawn ponzi inside of a master ponzi? This post opens my eye Shocked

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
grubles

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

mistaken for gribble since 2011

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 08:35:11 PM
Last edit: May 23, 2012, 12:01:32 AM by grubles

Now, on with the show.

Would you consider producing a Bitcoin Savings & Trust branded rum? I think the two would complement each other quite nicely and plenty on these forums would buy it for the novelty value.

Not sure if this was a joke or not... and I haven't read the whole thread yet...

BUT DO THIS!
There's already Pirate beer:
Taken at the local booze store  Smiley

BM-NBi5PcH8BBqDVp7WSJe2pNgqEVvTjd6T
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
May 22, 2012, 09:15:22 PM

Now, on with the show.

BUT DO THIS!
There's already Pirate beer:
Sorry for the gigantic image Smiley
Use width= inside the img tag.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: