Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:22:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Pool - vanity address generator pool  (Read 147179 times)
BTCINVESTOR

Activity: 176
Merit: 101

Cryptographic money will be the bedrock in time.

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:09:34 PM

Thanks for the info

Math based currencies will supplant all sovereign currencies over time. Buy them now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bt2084

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 02:55:47 PM

This project has so much potential!

I don't understand why ever aspect of this project is made out to be so complicated. 

You don't see the engine from the drivers seat when driving a car.  Why does the common user need to know 98% of the stuff described on the https://vanitypool.appspot.com page?  It's noise that turns potential miners and buyers off.  Tech people love it.  Great!  Hide it in a section that tech people can find but that takes it away from others.

Both the ordering page and the mining page could really be improved.

Why does it need to be so complicated? 

Sorry if it sounds like I am whining.  I am.  I haven't had much sleep.  Just upsets me that so much work has been done but that this project has been left to the joys of an engineer instead of a marketing person. lol.  Please clean up the pages so that a 7 year old could order!

There is hardly any work to be done because this page is written in a way that it requires a bitcoin software programmer to use it!
https://vanitypool.appspot.com/newWork

Just take the 80/20 rule... make this page so AN AVERAGE BITCOIN USER can order their own vanity address!

Geez... this whole thing could big as big as web address registrars become... please improve it and DUMB IT DOWN.  Smiley

(Sorry if I should have written this when I had more sleep.)
ThePiachu (OP)

Activity: 444
Merit: 307

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2014, 06:23:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The website is long overdue for a frontend overhaul, but I'm not really that good at frontend design. I also am rather busy with my other projects at the moment, so I don't have the time to improve this one. At the moment it's functioning quite well by itself.

1HWbVLhxj7bhewhyapMZpyhqWAeAhJd51E
My Bitcoin Calculator:
http://tpbitcalc.appspot.com/
jorijnsmit

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 07:36:49 PM

So are the prices on the website still current? Are they in BTC?

In other words, do I understand correctly that if I would want to request a search for a pattern with eight characters (1Abcdefg) that that would cost BTC 8.3 or USD 5222?
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2014, 03:49:52 AM

So are the prices on the website still current? Are they in BTC?

In other words, do I understand correctly that if I would want to request a search for a pattern with eight characters (1Abcdefg) that that would cost BTC 8.3 or USD 5222?

Prices are calculated based on the current Bitcoin difficulty. The front page prices are a bit outdated.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
jorijnsmit

View Profile
July 23, 2014, 12:50:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The website is long overdue for a frontend overhaul, but I'm not really that good at frontend design. I also am rather busy with my other projects at the moment, so I don't have the time to improve this one. At the moment it's functioning quite well by itself.

If you allow me I could design a rough template for a new site and share it with you. As already mentioned, this project has great potential and all it really needs to grow is more available work, which can be solved by using different language and terminology on the landing page. I can do that for you.
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2014, 06:28:17 AM

If you allow me I could design a rough template for a new site and share it with you. As already mentioned, this project has great potential and all it really needs to grow is more available work, which can be solved by using different language and terminology on the landing page. I can do that for you.

If you're up for that, sure. Just keep in mind I don't have much of a budget for this, so I wouldn't want you to spend too much work on it Wink.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
jgbreezer

Activity: 5

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:08:30 PM

Jorijnsmit, I think it needs more than that; if you're aiming for average bitcoin-joe-on-the-street to be able to use vanity addresses, even copying and pasting the private key into a website/app key-import text box might be more trouble than they'd be comfortable with. Certainly if they generated the key on a website then had to import it into a phone app (or any other device), or the other way round. The ideal would be a point-and-click interface to "download" the key and apply it. There's no mime-type or file format or filename-type-extension set up for that, and no apps I'm aware of have considered to make it easy enough to do anything like that. Because of the low demand for usage of that kind of feature, I think - bit of a chicken and egg type problem.
jorijnsmit

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 12:21:04 PM

Jorijnsmit, I think it needs more than that; if you're aiming for average bitcoin-joe-on-the-street to be able to use vanity addresses, even copying and pasting the private key into a website/app key-import text box might be more trouble than they'd be comfortable with. Certainly if they generated the key on a website then had to import it into a phone app (or any other device), or the other way round. The ideal would be a point-and-click interface to "download" the key and apply it. There's no mime-type or file format or filename-type-extension set up for that, and no apps I'm aware of have considered to make it easy enough to do anything like that. Because of the low demand for usage of that kind of feature, I think - bit of a chicken and egg type problem.

Are you talking about importing a private key? Because in that what I think you are describing are QR codes. Of course not all smartphone apps would support this, so some people would just have to retype the private key or copy-paste it somehow.

Anyway I do think Vanity Pool lends itself very well for providing keys to bitcoin-joe-on-the-street guys, if the site is presented in a different way that is.

Do you keep (Google) analytics statistics ThePiachu? I wonder what your bounce rate is, e.g. how many people decide to visit the site but close it after seeing the front page. The bounce rate for the "request a vanity address" page would be even more interesting.

I never heard back from you on some text I rewrote for the front page...
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2014, 05:37:30 PM

I do have analytics. It looks like my bounce rate overall is 42.52%. For /newWork, it's 44.44%.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
odotan

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 11:27:37 AM

Hi, I would like to send in some work, but I would like to know several things:

1. Is this project still active?
2. How long can I expect it to take (8 characters including the 1 in the beginning)
3. What if my work is not solved. Do I get the money back?
4. I presume that if my lavishness is the highest, then my work would be first to be solved/worked on?

Thanks
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2014, 09:59:30 PM

2. How long can I expect it to take (8 characters including the 1 in the beginning)
4. I presume that if my lavishness is the highest, then my work would be first to be solved/worked on?

Thanks

The project is active, but there isn't much new development - it's a service that works by itself. 8 characters can take a few days or more, depending on how much money you put down as a reward. I can cancel the work and refund you if you change your mind, but it's not an automated process. In most cases miners should work on highest lavishness work, but some prefer smaller lavishness but also smaller complexity work for more predictable return.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
August 16, 2014, 10:35:58 PM

I believe it would be better if the system was changed to actually pay everybody for their work. Shares etc, no idea how this would work(perhaps from a pattern of 1GoldMoney, valid addresses like 1GoLdMoNeY should be considered like shares?), but right now it's every man for himself so it makes mining addresses a bit useless.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
odotan

View Profile
August 17, 2014, 12:47:20 PM

Thanks

The project is active, but there isn't much new development - it's a service that works by itself. 8 characters can take a few days or more, depending on how much money you put down as a reward. I can cancel the work and refund you if you change your mind, but it's not an automated process. In most cases miners should work on highest lavishness work, but some prefer smaller lavishness but also smaller complexity work for more predictable return.

thanks for your response. Could you please provide a link to a good step-by-step guide on how request an address in a trustless way? Thanks.
ThePiachu (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2014, 01:23:37 AM

thanks for your response. Could you please provide a link to a good step-by-step guide on how request an address in a trustless way? Thanks.

1) Generate a Bitcoin address, save its private key safely, find out its public key - use http://casascius.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/bitcoin-address-utility/ or https://www.bitaddress.org/ for example (you will need those services later anyway)

2) Fill out the details in https://vanitypool.appspot.com/newWork

3) Send the request, send the bitcoins to the specified address

4) Once your work is solved, use the tools from point 1 to combine the key

5) Import the key into your wallet of choice

Best start with a simple and cheap pattern to get the hang of things.

My Bitcoin Calculator:
odotan

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 11:36:04 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 11:48:08 PM by odotan

1) Generate a Bitcoin address, save its private key safely, find out its public key - use http://casascius.wordpress.com/2013/01/26/bitcoin-address-utility/ or https://www.bitaddress.org/ for example (you will need those services later anyway)

2) Fill out the details in https://vanitypool.appspot.com/newWork

3) Send the request, send the bitcoins to the specified address

4) Once your work is solved, use the tools from point 1 to combine the key

5) Import the key into your wallet of choice

Best start with a simple and cheap pattern to get the hang of things.

Hi, thanx for your response. I have just requested a vanity address

3D939B757169ACCA30EFCD9E58D2D2326CC47929C38C9DB2257">https://vanitypool.appspot.com/check?key=1thanxio:047CE55D39162CCCAE7BB04609BCAC133166E6095C2970238C5CF68614664F0893EE6EFF645B723 3D939B757169ACCA30EFCD9E58D2D2326CC47929C38C9DB2257

And paid for it:

https://blockchain.info/tx/a05197b41b5a8e96926b0053d3ed9a84906589c14d7f732115932831d280f744

The pattern I requested is "1thanxio", and it has to be all lower case, does the pool takes that into account?

thanx
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 12:00:12 AM

The pattern I requested is "1thanxio", and it has to be all lower case, does the pool takes that into account?
Yes - when you requested the pattern, you should have read this line:
Your desired pattern (with leading 1 for MainNet, case-sensitive):
( emphasis mine )

As an aside - the correct link for your work request (mangled in your post): 1thanxio @ vanitypool

odotan

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 08:54:23 PM

Yes - when you requested the pattern, you should have read this line:
Your desired pattern (with leading 1 for MainNet, case-sensitive):
( emphasis mine )

As an aside - the correct link for your work request (mangled in your post): 1thanxio @ vanitypool

thanx for your response. regarding the link... it appears that the link gets mangled... I can't get it to appear right (unless you add the URL tag... like you did).
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 09:39:40 PM

regarding the link... it appears that the link gets mangled... I can't get it to appear right (unless you add the URL tag... like you did).
Yeah, that'll be the forum software for ya Smiley

Looks like it'll be a while before you'd get that prefix - but anybody bored or feeling lucky and having a decent graphics card should be able to do it within a month

LtPaxIV

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:01:10 AM

i will give it a try,starting up my 2 cards

i think its better than mining any altcoins atm,plus people will be happy getting there own address
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: