Bitcoin Forum
April 22, 2024, 11:26:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Freicoin: demurrage crypto-currency from the Occupy movement (crowdfund)  (Read 67696 times)
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:02:07 PM

smoothie: I'd be more likely to question the motivation of a cryptocurrency developer who doesn't ask for money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:03:44 PM

smoothie: I'd be more likely to question the motivation of a cryptocurrency developer who doesn't ask for money.

Are you saying Gavin has something to hide Shocked ?

No way dood Wink !

I actually agree with your statement there.

BTW, what happened to RealCoin guy that was working with Intersango guys and that altchain Huh

I am really curious !
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:07:22 PM

Hmm perhaps then you should put your faith into what you wouldnt be more likely to question right?

Oh wait, you wont do that because you dont believe what you just wrote. Please prove me wrong and send the OP your money  Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

galambo

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:33:32 PM

Hmm perhaps then you should put your faith into what you wouldnt be more likely to question right?

Oh wait, you wont do that because you dont believe what you just wrote. Please prove me wrong and send the OP your money  Grin Grin Grin

I already have.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:38:59 PM

I already have.

How much?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

maaku (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:42:42 PM

What he considered to be an appropriate amount. What else matters?

Please, let's try to keep this on topic and without trolling.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
galambo

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:43:33 PM

I already have.

How much?

A matter of perspective: from your perspective, too much. From mine, not nearly enough.
bulanula

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:44:06 PM

By the looks of things he is the only one that donated; donated 0.20115289 BTC Cheesy

http://blockchain.info/address/1HzH4YtFwBQXyF2NCCwyY2qFCCsBsmdN3j
galambo

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 05:46:27 PM

By the looks of things he is the only one that donated; donated 0.20115289 BTC Cheesy

The donation link is here http://www.indiegogo.com/freicoin?a=784965
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 06:54:47 PM

The donation link is here http://www.indiegogo.com/freicoin?a=784965

Wow you donated like a whole 50 cents. BRAVO! You are in such support of this project and its 28k goal LOL! Grin Grin Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:02:41 PM

What I will do is become a miner and sell the coins and buy BTC.
Then you will be doing exactly what the currency is designed for.

Let me reiterate again: the purpose of this *coin is to cleanly separate the dual purposes of money, medium-of-exchange from store-of-value. You trade your mined freicoins for BTC, but the counter-party to that transaction doesn't want to hold on to freicoins any more than you do. So he uses it to buy services he needs, and the service provider gets rid of it by paying an employee, and that employee spends it buying groceries, and that grocer turns a profit and invests it in bitcoins, bringing the Freicoin cash back to the exchange, etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Bitcoin is and always will be an ideal mechanism for storing value, superior to Freicoin in that regard. That is expected, desirable, and by design.

A coin (medium-of-exchange) should be a store of value.  Both workers and grocers would prefer to trade a coin with a store of value.  People only save money to use in the future or to buy a bigger ticket item.
galambo

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:29:13 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 07:49:11 PM by galambo

A coin (medium-of-exchange) should be a store of value.  Both workers and grocers would prefer to trade a coin with a store of value.  People only save money to use in the future or to buy a bigger ticket item.

It's simply not a necessary condition. If you really want to understand more I'd suggest picking up this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Debt-The-First-000-Years/dp/1933633867

Or watch this interview with the author

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnOqanbHZi4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5c5mZhDs4U
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 07:46:58 PM

$795 raised against a $28,000 windfall for the con-men behind this project with 44 days to go. At that burn rate the final result will be in keeping with the nature of the proposal- FAIL.
bulanula

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:16:03 PM

$795 raised against a $28,000 windfall for the con-men behind this project with 44 days to go. At that burn rate the final result will be in keeping with the nature of the proposal- FAIL.

So true ...

maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:46:15 PM

Well that remains to be seen. There's still quite a bit of time left and we've only just started to publicize.

In any case, if we don't make the goal then we'll just scale back some of the non-critical items, with the block chain pruning probably being the first to go--being the longest pole in the tent.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 05:54:47 AM

Here's a thought... why not hop the whole crypto-currency crowd of occupy-lings over to ShortBusCoin/MicroIntellectualPropertyTheftCash and adopt their failure of a currency instead of creating your own. It would really be more in keeping with the philosophy of occupy- leech from others, create a culture of dependency and entitlement by corrupting that which isn't yours, and seize what you want without the effort of actual creation or labor, because , gosh darn it, the 99% should be able to get what they want without all that yucky work stuff, just by taking it from the stupid 1% who actually created it.

An idea about as fucked up as this concept.
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 06:10:16 AM

Or here's a thought: why don't you troll somewhere else?

I'm happy to respond to any reasonable questions about the economics of the proposal. But let's keep the discourse level-headed and rational, okay?

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 06:32:01 AM

Or here's a thought: why don't you troll somewhere else?

I'm happy to respond to any reasonable questions about the economics of the proposal. But let's keep the discourse level-headed and rational, okay?

No Loup is right this idea is not going to work.

Remember the term Open-source and free kind of go hand in hand. Asking people to fund your project goes against that very concept. Grin Grin

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 07:03:13 AM

Remember the term Open-source and free kind of go hand in hand. Asking people to fund your project goes against that very concept. Grin Grin
That couldn't be further from the truth. These days only a small minority of free or open-source software is developed and maintained as weekend/hobby projects.

But anyway, why should the quality of the idea represent a legitimate demand on my personal time and resources? I thought we were mostly libertarians here--what's wrong with seeking even minimal compensation just to cover the cost of production? Is there something inherently unethical about donating specifically to the cause of creating a open-source/free software project? Would you object to someone making a similar donation to the Debian foundation? What about the Google Summer of Code interns? Are they scum for accepting stipends for the work they do? I really don't see the logic of that argument.

We priced the Indiegogo as low as we could make it while still doing a top-notch job, accomplishing all the goals listed in the timeframe specified. You might not believe it, but servers cost money to build and run, marketing artwork takes resources to make, and code takes time to build. $28k is our conservative, at-cost guestimate of how much it would take to complete the proposal and to do it right (no cutting corners), plus the Indiegogo fees and taxes.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
July 01, 2012, 07:05:35 AM

That couldn't be further from the truth. These days only a small minority of free or open-source software is developed and maintained as weekend/hobby projects.

But anyway, why should the quality of the idea represent a legitimate demand on my personal time and resources? I thought we were mostly libertarians here--what's wrong with seeking even minimal compensation just to cover the cost of production? Is there something inherently unethical about donating specifically to the cause of creating a open-source/free software project? Would you object to someone making a similar donation to the Debian foundation? What about the Google Summer of Code interns? Are they scum for accepting stipends for the work they do? I really don't see the logic of that argument.

We priced the Indiegogo as low as we could make it while still doing a top-notch job, accomplishing all the goals listed in the timeframe specified. You might not believe it, but servers cost money to build and run, marketing artwork takes resources to make, and code takes time to build. $28k is our conservative, at-cost guestimate of how much it would take to complete the proposal and to do it right (no cutting corners), plus the Indiegogo fees and taxes.

Okay then why don't YOU fund the entire project yourself???

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: