Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:53:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Freicoin: demurrage crypto-currency from the Occupy movement (crowdfund)  (Read 67696 times)
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 08:38:08 PM

Freakoin
That's so going to stick.

This project is important as it might attract Occupy people to P2P crypto-currency in general.
Once they get the idea, they will have better understanding of the technology and will be able to choose the coin they like.

The initial particular characteristics of the coin are not that relevant, what's more important is that this is the coin designed specifically for them by NASA engineers!
+1. We might even want to create a whole bunch of different inflating/demurring coins, so they can pick whichever rate they think is best. Call me optimistic but I'm hoping for WAY higher than 4.4% annual growth in a few decades.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 09:48:40 PM

I joined occupy to open peoples minds about the financial system but it turns out that is not what occupy is about unfortunately. It ended up being a running battle with local police and council. It got sidetracked by non issues.

What Ive found is that the police and council cant do squat about me trading bitcoins where they can confiscate a tent Cheesy

This is why I want to setup a bitcoin trading desk in Melbourne.

Bitinvestor

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 10:06:32 PM

ARBEIT_MACHT_FREICOIN

Those who cause problems for others also cause problems for themselves.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2012, 10:08:44 PM

I do think the inflation should be 2% or so rather than 5% which seems massively excessive. I mean the reserve bank usually aims for 2-3% so dont make it WORSE than fiat.

maaku (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 28, 2012, 10:11:34 PM

If the goal is price stability or 0% basic interest (read Gesell for why these are linked and why they should be the goal), then you need to account for productivity and population growth as well. Historically, the sum total has been in the 4-5% range.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 04:11:25 PM

Second, choose a new name. Forget about coin being in it and think of the name as your key sales tool. Freicoin is too German-sounding for US users.

What would you propose this coin be called?

I think the name is selected partially out of the vanity of its creator.  Wink For example, the Google "Page"rank did not refer to "webpage."

The first US coin to have a metal value less than its indicated value carried the name "Trime" which seems to me to be a pun. Perhaps this coin could be called the "Trius."
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 07:00:30 PM

Actually that really is a coincidence (besides, Frei/“free, unencumbered, liberal” and Fried/“peace” are related lexicographically more by chance than by etymology).

“Freicoin” was the name given to a hypothetical bitcoin-based demurrage currency promoted by @jtimon on this forum about a year ago. It was through conversations with jtimon that parameters of this proposed alt chain were set. “Freicoin” itself is an nod to “Freigeld”, the hypothetical state-backed demurrage currency used by Gesell in his economic theories. In this context, “Frei” means free, no-cost, or unencumbered, and is a reference to the approx. 0% interest and easy access to credit it would provide.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
galambo

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 10:52:35 PM

Actually that really is a coincidence (besides, Frei/“free, unencumbered, liberal” and Fried/“peace” are related lexicographically more by chance than by etymology).

“Freicoin” was the name given to a hypothetical bitcoin-based demurrage currency promoted by @jtimon on this forum about a year ago. It was through conversations with jtimon that parameters of this proposed alt chain were set. “Freicoin” itself is an nod to “Freigeld”, the hypothetical state-backed demurrage currency used by Gesell in his economic theories. In this context, “Frei” means free, no-cost, or unencumbered, and is a reference to the approx. 0% interest and easy access to credit it would provide.

Sorry, it's a bad idea to make this joke before you explained the origin of the name.
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2012, 11:01:41 PM

No worries; just wanted to make sure there was no confusion  Wink

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 02:55:49 AM

If the goal is price stability or 0% basic interest (read Gesell for why these are linked and why they should be the goal), then you need to account for productivity and population growth as well. Historically, the sum total has been in the 4-5% range.

Understood.

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 06:15:27 AM

The coin is a joke.  Everyone will be a miner, hoping the people that do the real work will earn money for them.  What I will do is become a miner and sell the coins and buy BTC.  Assuming it is worth the electricity to do so.  These Bill Still/Ellen Brown types need to learn a lesson, inflationary coins are not fair.  Yes, the 4.4% might be a good fee to maintain the system, but not as a plan to hurt the rich.
maaku (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 08:02:16 AM

What I will do is become a miner and sell the coins and buy BTC.
Then you will be doing exactly what the currency is designed for.

Let me reiterate again: the purpose of this *coin is to cleanly separate the dual purposes of money, medium-of-exchange from store-of-value. You trade your mined freicoins for BTC, but the counter-party to that transaction doesn't want to hold on to freicoins any more than you do. So he uses it to buy services he needs, and the service provider gets rid of it by paying an employee, and that employee spends it buying groceries, and that grocer turns a profit and invests it in bitcoins, bringing the Freicoin cash back to the exchange, etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Bitcoin is and always will be an ideal mechanism for storing value, superior to Freicoin in that regard. That is expected, desirable, and by design.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 09:35:01 AM

What I will do is become a miner and sell the coins and buy BTC.
Then you will be doing exactly what the currency is designed for.

Let me reiterate again: the purpose of this *coin is to cleanly separate the dual purposes of money, medium-of-exchange from store-of-value. You trade your mined freicoins for BTC, but the counter-party to that transaction doesn't want to hold on to freicoins any more than you do. So he uses it to buy services he needs, and the service provider gets rid of it by paying an employee, and that employee spends it buying groceries, and that grocer turns a profit and invests it in bitcoins, bringing the Freicoin cash back to the exchange, etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Bitcoin is and always will be an ideal mechanism for storing value, superior to Freicoin in that regard. That is expected, desirable, and by design.

This thread is a waste of time seriously. You dont need to raise funds to start a new block chain.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 12:23:16 PM

You trade your mined freicoins for BTC, but the counter-party to that transaction doesn't want to hold on to freicoins any more than you do.

Do you really think that people will spend bitcoins to buy freicoins THAT THEY DO NOT WANT? Really?

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2012, 01:31:36 PM

If no one wants the currency who gets left holding the bag ?

Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 01:37:36 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2012, 03:00:07 PM by Bitinvestor

If no one wants the currency who gets left holding the bag ?

The miners? Galambo!  Cheesy

galambo

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 02:43:13 PM

You trade your mined freicoins for BTC, but the counter-party to that transaction doesn't want to hold on to freicoins any more than you do.

Do you really think that people will spend bitcoins to buy freicoins THAT THEY DO NOT WANT? Really?

Of course they will. The question, as always, is at what price.
Bitinvestor

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 03:03:35 PM

Of course they will. The question, as always, is at what price.

See my previous reply.  Grin

Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:26:52 PM

Merged mining is an important feature. It gives miners a reason to mine something that at first will trade for almost nothing, and if Freicoin ever takes off then Bitcoin can free ride off the high subsidy.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 30, 2012, 04:38:25 PM

Please close this thread it's retarded.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: