Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:04:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450933 times)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 02:53:13 PM

Hmmm, given that the site this 3-wide so-called S5+ is comming from is NOT bitmain's site, I'm even MORE inclined to take this thing as either vaporware or a straight-up scam.

The last end-view pic with no fans just makes me wince - the chips towards the end of the board WILL overheat badly, the airflow through this unit would be a nighmare at best (think SP20/SP20E second row chips run hotter multiplied by about a factor of 10).

I'm starting to think "nuclear meltdown" after all.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
-droid-
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 03:21:23 PM

Picts look fake, Bitmain is quiet...  Huh
i got the pict from bitmain official weibo account
here http://weibo.com/bitmain

thats verified account

there are still many people who do not believe in the truth, hehe ...
Bitmain S5 + coming soon ..  Cheesy

won't matter for home users only will work in places with 2 or 3c kwh elec data halls at best and likely like most bitmain products over priced from the get go
and price drops just behind what it is practical to ever make ROI imho

Yeah these are really meant for data center operations
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

Wow that is a beast... Yes the server PSU's are perfect as they are designed to be connected in parallel and load share well. I hope they ship them with ear defenders.  Smiley

Seeing the construction makes you wonder if they will release a single unit with 3 PCB, would still be an impressive 2574GH
There is no chaining going on on required here, each board is receiving 12V independently of each other board. Its the same as the people powering 3 S5s with 2 PSUs or even how the SP3X operated.

Shocked  3436w is way to much for home mining. But 7th is awesome!  Grin

That 3436W is just perfect for me.Got 230v/16A  Smiley
As above, you can power each board independently so those with smaller circuits can power one miner with multiple circuits. I did the same on my SP35 and generally do on all my larger miners.

alienesb

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 04:22:31 PM

Wow that is a beast... Yes the server PSU's are perfect as they are designed to be connected in parallel and load share well. I hope they ship them with ear defenders.  Smiley

Seeing the construction makes you wonder if they will release a single unit with 3 PCB, would still be an impressive 2574GH

There is no chaining going on on required here, each board is receiving 12V independently of each other board. Its the same as the people powering 3 S5s with 2 PSUs or even how the SP3X operated.

So is this miner real?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 04:24:21 PM

if they are using the s5 chips, those would have to be some pretty high cfm fans to cool it. the s5 has heatsinks twice the size and they run pretty hot.

So, just detailing the photos now i have some comments:

• What happened with the monolithic heatsink design? Why start using off the shelf heatsinks with these? are these a low production run?
  • At 75w max rating per PCI-e connector, those hashboards are bound to consume 225w each. There are 3 boards per unit, reaching 675w per unit. That would make the upper consume bound 2075w!!!! How are you running it on ~3400w? wouldn't this be overspeccing the connectors and probably lead to burnt plastic casings? (not that this hasn't happened before, the S5 is overspecced as well)

The original curved thin fin heatsinks have great efficiency while not costing an arm to manufacture. Thicker but short finned heatsinks aren't quite as good but can be crammed into a much smaller space. Its not going to be a problem.

75W is the official PCI-E spec's max, its not the real world max by a long shot. Most miners have been running 150-200W per PCI-E and still plenty more requiring 250W+. Most people ran the S5 off 2 PCI-E.

The worst thing about the monster is that you need to deploy 28 friggen PCI-e connectors. A 2880w PSU breakout from J4bberwock has at most 20 connectors. Sidehack's 750w PSU breakout has place for 4, and the DPS2000 breakout has 12. You could power this monstruosity with a 2880w PSU + 750w, but then you have to find out if this setup can be used with current sharing... omg... this thing is crazy on all levels
9 boards, 27 PCI-E, 3400W = 380W per board. You could easily use just 2 PCI-E connectors, there are just more than required (like the S3, S5) if you want to use them or want to OC significantly.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 04:25:22 PM

So is this miner real?

Waiting on confirmation (currently midnight and the weekend) but almost certainly.

pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 04:27:01 PM

So is this miner real?

First off, it's an S5+ and not an S7 as insinuated to be the next from bitmain by some pretenders, and it is real.
But like the S3+ prior to the S5, it seems to be thus far, a reserve for the Chnese market.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:36:07 PM

It would be wonderful if Bitmain might consider offering separate controller boards if some of us want to buy one of these upcoming monsters to split into 3 different units for home mining.

Alternately, I wonder if I could repurpose old S3 controllers to drive these things.
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:42:26 PM

I think it would be great if the could offer the S5+ hash boards as an S1 upgrade with new firmware for the controller board?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:54:29 PM

I think it would be great if the could offer the S5+ hash boards as an S1 upgrade with new firmware for the controller board?

Rich

You would most likely need a new controller, the boards, more fans and an enclosure and then just maybe you would be okay for dissipating 1200watts of power.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:58:36 PM

I can see that an additional fan would be needed but why a new enclosure and why could the controller not be upgraded? Surely the interface to and driving any of the BM series of chips cannot not be that different?

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 06:02:49 PM

The worst thing about the monster is that you need to deploy 28 friggen PCI-e connectors. A 2880w PSU breakout from J4bberwock has at most 20 connectors. Sidehack's 750w PSU breakout has place for 4, and the DPS2000 breakout has 12. You could power this monstruosity with a 2880w PSU + 750w, but then you have to find out if this setup can be used with current sharing... omg... this thing is crazy on all levels
9 boards, 27 PCI-E, 3400W = 380W per board. You could easily use just 2 PCI-E connectors, there are just more than required (like the S3, S5) if you want to use them or want to OC significantly.

9 boards -> 27 PCI-e + controller board which clearly has 1 PCI-e connector = 28 PCI-e connectors.

Running with just 2 PCI-e connectors is the irresponsible thing to do, no need to have a fire risk when mining.

pekatete

Activity: 518

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 06:03:06 PM

I can see that an additional fan would be needed but why a new enclosure and why could the controller not be upgraded? Surely the interface to and driving any of the BM series of chips cannot not be that different?

They used different connectors for the S5 boards from those on the S3 (and different from the S1 to S3 which introduced the controller board).
S5 PCB board to controller cables are 2 rows of nine pins, whereas the S3 PCB to controller connectors are 2 rows of 10 pins (and as you may have guessed, different sizes). The connectors on the monster look similar those on the S5 though.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:06:08 PM

Look at the picture, the chips arent being cooled the same was as before, the S1 heatsink would probably not be of use. You now need to put alot of pressure and air flow on the individual aluminium heatsink and there would not be any with the way the S1 is designed.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
RichBC

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:14:08 PM

I was not suggesting that the S1 heatsink would be used, but that the S5+ hash board would be supplied complete with heatsinks. As to the controller an S1 to S3 converter was relatively straightforward, so why not an S1 to S5+ converter? Yes you need a lot of air pressure to cool, but no more than the S5+ requires  Smiley and fans are relatively cheap.

I also realise that this is not going to happen, but I bet technically it could if they wanted to.  Smiley

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 06:16:40 PM

9 boards -> 27 PCI-e + controller board which clearly has 1 PCI-e connector = 28 PCI-e connectors.

Running with just 2 PCI-e connectors is the irresponsible thing to do, no need to have a fire risk when mining.

No, no its not. You're saying 190W PCI-E connectors are a fire risk when pretty much every minor ever has run at that level or higher. The ASICMiner Cube ran 225W when on 4, the SP20 300W at stock, even the S5 runs 300W when on 2.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 06:43:27 PM

The Molex spec on the CONNECTOR commonly used for PCI-E 6-pin connectons states 8 amps per contact. 3 contacts for +12v = 24 amps = 288 watts per connector (the ground connectors carries the SAME current as a different part of the same circuit, so you can't count those into the total).

190 watts per connector is actually fairly conservative based on the CONNECTOR specs.

The PCI-E spec is actually INCREDIBLY conservative on usage of the connectors for both the 6-pin (75 watts) and the 8-pin (150 watts) varients.

The PCI-E 8 pin connectors have the SAME limit as the 6 pin, as they STILL only use 3 pins for +12 - the extra 2 pins are BOTH ground, which IMO is just dumb.

300 watts per connector like SOME miners needed (certain melt stuff fire-hazard KnC designs come immediately to mind) is stupid.

The actual contacts used in those connectors are specified at 11 amps max, but that's an open-air rating and has to be derated when used in a multi-pin connector due to heat retention of the connector itself unless you WANT to melt the connector and end up probably shorting stuff out.

I don't think "most" folks run an S5 on 2 PCI-E connectors - you pushing their limits hard stock clock, and OVERSTRESSING them if you overclock significantly with a SERIOUS risk of failure. You're be seeing a lot more "KnC Neptune / Titan" meltdown type complaints if this idea was common. Also, MOST power supply PCI-E cables aren't designed to handle that load per wire which would be a common issue even if NOT overclocking.

The curved fin heat sinks aren't significantly IF ANY more efficient than a straight blade design with the same fin thickness in the same overall depth. A "tapered fin" design is MORE efficient than either, due to better heat conduction at the base evening out the heat transfer along the length of the fin - that's the design my one "oddball" recent used S5 has, and probably cools better despite the actual fin length being a hair shorter than the older "curved fin" design.

If this thing is real, I'd STILL be worried about the heat dissipation - the airflow through the unit is NOT a good setup, though it appears that the heatsinks on the hashing chips themselves are bigger than most of these pictures suggest.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:17:21 PM

I was not suggesting that the S1 heatsink would be used, but that the S5+ hash board would be supplied complete with heatsinks. As to the controller an S1 to S3 converter was relatively straightforward, so why not an S1 to S5+ converter? Yes you need a lot of air pressure to cool, but no more than the S5+ requires  Smiley and fans are relatively cheap.

I also realise that this is not going to happen, but I bet technically it could if they wanted to.  Smiley

You were suggesting an S1 to S5+ upgrade. If you need to change the frame, the boards, the heatsink and add fans and a controller adapter. In the end the only thing you would be keeping is a single fan and maybe the s1 controller. So what exactly would you be upgrading?

I just bet its not possible even if they technically wanted to, since it would be just a disassembled package of a complete S5+, minus a fan?

The upgrade kit was designed for just shipping the new board, as its light, without having to reship the heatsink, the heavy parts, etc.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 07:28:14 PM

No, no its not. You're saying 190W PCI-E connectors are a fire risk when pretty much every minor ever has run at that level or higher. The ASICMiner Cube ran 225W when on 4, the SP20 300W at stock, even the S5 runs 300W when on 2.

Don't want to quarrel too much about this point, but this monday i'll get into one of my mines, there's one S5 connector that came from the manufacturer with a clearly burnt PCB near the connector, still running fine, but you wouldn't expect that to come when running as the spec says.

190 watts per connector is actually fairly conservative based on the CONNECTOR specs.

The PCI-E spec is actually INCREDIBLY conservative on usage of the connectors for both the 6-pin (75 watts) and the 8-pin (150 watts) varients.

Not all connectors are built equal, there's also the fact that not every manufacturer has certifications.

If this thing is real, I'd STILL be worried about the heat dissipation - the airflow through the unit is NOT a good setup, though it appears that the heatsinks on the hashing chips themselves are bigger than most of these pictures suggest.

Indeed, this is one of the worries i have. Is this meant to have 30ºc+ ambient temp like the S5, or has to have a cooler setting? Also, push-pull was not required on the S5, why does this one needs it? The shroud also was disregarded as unnecesary some time ago, is this new design an acknowledgement of the mistake on the S5? Not trolling, just want some fab. acknowledgement plz, i can build a shroud quickly for my S5 units and enhance cooling, but i lack the skills to determine if it really helps or not (my gut says it is a waste of time, as i generally trust bitmain's engineering).

RichBC

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:33:54 PM

I just bet its not possible even if they technically wanted to, since it would be just a disassembled package of a complete S5+, minus a fan?

The upgrade kit was designed for just shipping the new board, as its light, without having to reship the heatsink, the heavy parts, etc.

Ok have it your way.... But let's just look at this a different way. If S5+ hash boards were made available, as opposed to a complete 3 Bay S5 which is of no use to a Home Miner, then assuming firmware & interfacing to an S1 controller board was possible, which I suspect is straightforward as the interface to all of the BM series of chips is almost identical, then I think there would be a lot of interest.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 [254] 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: