Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 11:36:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH  (Read 450938 times)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 07:44:50 PM

I just bet its not possible even if they technically wanted to, since it would be just a disassembled package of a complete S5+, minus a fan?

The upgrade kit was designed for just shipping the new board, as its light, without having to reship the heatsink, the heavy parts, etc.

Ok have it your way.... But let's just look at this a different way. If S5+ hash boards were made available, as opposed to a complete 3 Bay S5 which is of no use to a Home Miner, then assuming firmware & interfacing to an S1 controller board was possible, which I suspect is straightforward as the interface to all of the BM series of chips is almost identical, then I think there would be a lot of interest.  Smiley

If instead of a form factor of 3 S5 you had a "S5+' with the single form factor, then you would be left with a more expected upgrade to a S5, that still use different frame and heatsinks, enclosure, etc.

The difference would be small, a bit like the S3 and the S3+. It would have pretty much the same efficiency, just more under volted chips. Ultimately more heat crammed into the same space.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:15:16 PM

S5+

432 chips, 7722GH/s, 3436 Wt

Have anyone heard about it?
Tasty... Me likey Grin

It just screams using a pair of the IBM 2kw supplies in load share which is easy-peasy using the breakouts from GekkoScience. Since I still just happen to still a couple  of each sitting idle and a ton of leads I'll be all set for one.

Only problem is will have to retire some S3's though as I'm at my free power limit of 15kw at work Tongue

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:19:01 PM

The one request I have for Bitmain is put the network usage graphing back in like the S1 and S3's had! Since it is pretty much part and parcel with the Pi's and BeagleBone OS/s anyway please bring it back. Would be nice to see what the bw of these will be (mainly for planning G3/G4 WiFi Hotspot usage).

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 08:28:58 PM

The one request I have for Bitmain is put the network usage graphing back in like the S1 and S3's had! Since it is pretty much part and parcel with the Pi's and BeagleBone OS/s anyway please bring it back. Would be nice to see what the bw of these will be (mainly for planning G3/G4 WiFi Hotspot usage).
The S1 and S3 use a slightly modified version of OpenWRT which had that feature built in, the other miners use a heavily customized variant of Angstrom Linux so it would have to be completely rewritten for that. Bandwidth however should be very low so it shouldn't be something you need to worry about.

Mining Software Developer.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:42:54 PM

No, no its not. You're saying 190W PCI-E connectors are a fire risk when pretty much every minor ever has run at that level or higher. The ASICMiner Cube ran 225W when on 4, the SP20 300W at stock, even the S5 runs 300W when on 2.

SP20 limits power to 288 watts - which is identical to the spec for the connectors, probably deliberately.

S5 running 300 on one connector per board is STUPID - that IS overstressing the connector. There's a REASON Bitmain insisted on putting 2 on each board (well, yes, overclocking, but even at stock clock they're pushing the spec on the connector pretty hard). I'd also bet that it's a rare thing to see.
 S5 at stock clock or below is within the spec of the connector (official 590 watts "at the wall" is more like 540ish or a little less DC, so 270ish per connector) but even running a stock clock S5 on one connector per board is pushing your luck a bit. Will probably work most of the time as long as the S5 is in a fairly cool room, don't bet on it in summer heat in most areas without A/C of some sort.

I'll also point out comments and complaints about burnt connectors are fairly COMMON on the higher end KnC machines which run about 300 per connector.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 10:11:30 PM

The S1 and S3 use a slightly modified version of OpenWRT which had that feature built in, the other miners use a heavily customized variant of Angstrom Linux so it would have to be completely rewritten for that. Bandwidth however should be very low so it shouldn't be something you need to worry about.
Dinna know that it was part of OpenWRT. Figured it was open-source bit they tacked on.

As for bandwidth... was thinking more of getting hard data for if I move my 30TH farm at work to using a 4G HotSpot. Being in an industrial park the available internet solutions are limited mainly to Multiple T1 lines and they are pricey as well as shared with VOIP for the phones. That farm puts a sizable dent in the b/w we have at work...

Extrapolating from the S3 data I have I puts total monthly usage at a ballpark value of 8GB/month. How well does bandwidth usage scale with TH/s from the S3's across the S4 & s5 miners?

pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 10:13:50 PM

S5 at stock clock or below is within the spec of the connector (official 590 watts "at the wall" is more like 540ish or a little less DC, so 270ish per connector) but even running a stock clock S5 on one connector per board is pushing your luck a bit. Will probably work most of the time as long as the S5 is in a fairly cool room, don't bet on it in summer heat in most areas without A/C of some sort.

Agreed its pushing the connector even at stock for an S5 (if only 1 is connected per board).
On the other hand, the bolded is actually reverse to what you say. If the ambient is warmer / hotter you'll probably get more HW errors than run the risk of pushing the power draw on the connector(s), but have a cooler ambient and you'll get fewer HW errors and more power draw as the chips do not get reset.

dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 10:28:00 PM

No, no its not. You're saying 190W PCI-E connectors are a fire risk when pretty much every minor ever has run at that level or higher. The ASICMiner Cube ran 225W when on 4, the SP20 300W at stock, even the S5 runs 300W when on 2.

SP20 limits power to 288 watts - which is identical to the spec for the connectors, probably deliberately.  S5 running 300 on one connector per board is STUPID - that IS overstressing the connector.
So you're saying that 288W is fine but 300W is stupid.... There is no such thing as a discrete bound, this is entirely about safety factors and how close do you want to get, not "1 more W and it explodes". Using the evidence we've gathered from 1000s and 1000s of past miners we know the approximate threshold and what is pushing it too far. 300W is still fine.We know that

There's a REASON Bitmain insisted on putting 2 on each board (well, yes, overclocking, but even at stock clock they're pushing the spec on the connector pretty hard). I'd also bet that it's a rare thing to see.
They didn't insist on anything, it was arbitrarily inherited from the rev 3+ S3 board which had 2 PCI-E connectors per 160W board. And its not a rare thing, look back in this thread, plenty of people (including me) running S5s on single PCI-Es.

I feel like you're arbitrarily deciding what will work or not. I've actively tried these things and I've actively measured cable temps so it doesn't really make sense for you to say its all about to explode.

I'll also point out comments and complaints about burnt connectors are fairly COMMON on the higher end KnC machines which run about 300 per connector.
Neptunes are 400W per PCI-E at stock, not 300W. And even then the failure isn't guaranteed.

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 10:59:06 PM

Neptunes are 400W per PCI-E at stock, not 300W. And even then the failure isn't guaranteed.

How many times must you explain that,
Neptune Cubes PCI-E plug connector is air-cooled by Cube fan itself.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4536
Merit: 1847

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:54:30 AM

SP20 limits power to 288 watts - which is identical to the spec for the connectors, probably deliberately.  S5 running 300 on one connector per board is STUPID - that IS overstressing the connector.
So you're saying that 288W is fine but 300W is stupid.... There is no such thing as a discrete bound, this is entirely about safety factors and how close do you want to get, not "1 more W and it explodes". Using the evidence we've gathered from 1000s and 1000s of past miners we know the approximate threshold and what is pushing it too far. 300W is still fine.We know that
Incorrect.

What bitmain MIGHT know is that for the cables and setup they used, they had a certain % failure over the short time frame of testing they did.

The PCI-e cables themselves have a specification that they are expected to work within.
Some manufacturers may build cables closer to those limits than other manufacturers, but they are still within the specifications.

No idea who told you that specifications are OK to ignore, but tell them to stop spouting that sort of trash.

Heh, my 1000+W S2 that had a 1000W Enermax from Bitmain, that says 996W on the 12V rails, that I suggested back then that was pushing it too close to the limit ... guess what? It failed early in the year. I've since then used a 1200W Seasonic Platinum on it.

I feel like you're arbitrarily deciding what will work or not. I've actively tried these things and I've actively measured cable temps so it doesn't really make sense for you to say its all about to explode.
Read my comment above .........

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 06:21:32 AM

The PCI-e cables themselves have a specification that they are expected to work within.
Some manufacturers may build cables closer to those limits than other manufacturers, but they are still within the specifications.
If you're defaulting to the "you only run 75W because the specification says so", then good for you. The rest of us will continue doing what we've been doing for years.

Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 06:55:23 AM

If you're defaulting to the "you only run 75W because the specification says so", then good for you. The rest of us will continue doing what we've been doing for years.

Praying to God ,  that Hashnest would not burn down?
I have been there today 100TH/s

Contract End
3.    If mining farms may no longer continue operating due to change in legal status, war, earthquake, fire, electricity failure, or other acts of God, Hashnest does not assume responsibility for compensation.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:43:45 AM

Praying to God ,  that Hashnest would not burn down?
I have been there today 100TH/s

Contract End
3.    If mining farms may no longer continue operating due to change in legal status, war, earthquake, fire, electricity failure, or other acts of God, Hashnest does not assume responsibility for compensation.

Don't give the Chinese any ideas.

Bitmain; "Yes, as all PCI-e Cables have been running over spec, they all vaporised and burned, therefore all your contracts are void, bye."

I jest, i don't mean anything by it. ;P

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:18:06 AM

I didn't know that but it would explain the MANY instances I have seen mentioned of Nepture power connectors MELTING. I also find it VERY HARD to believe they got away with that on a STOCK Neptune at all. Air cooling on the connector as mentioned by someone else might help some, though.

No, 300 watts per PCI-E isn't insane - but running a connector outside of spec increases the chance of failure, and it's NOT a linear function. More like exponential, kicks up VERY fast once you exceed the rated capasity of a connection. I'm amazed that ANY Neptune ever worked for more than a minute, if they were stressing the connections at 400 watts by default.
 For the record, I'm not fond of the idea of pushing 288 watts through a PCI-E 6-pin connector - that's too close to the edge, leaves NO margin for folks that want to overclock or folks like me that don't have A/C and do have hot summers.

Yes, you can get away with it in a cool environment - part of the rating is an allowance for ambient temperature - but that does NOT make it a good idea.

They didn't insist on anything, it was arbitrarily inherited from the rev 3+ S3 board which had 2 PCI-E connectors per 160W board. And its not a rare thing, look back in this thread, plenty of people (including me) running S5s on single PCI-Es.

You say that like the board design was unchanged between the two.
 S5 is a stringed power design, S3 had voltage conversion, which implies AT LEAST a major redesign if not a "from scratch" design of the S5 hash boards specifically including the power circuitry. There was no "inherit" based on looking at the COMPLETE REDESIGN of the power setup for the S5.

On the other hand, the bolded is actually reverse to what you say. If the ambient is warmer / hotter you'll probably get more HW errors than run the risk of pushing the power draw on the connector(s), but have a cooler ambient and you'll get fewer HW errors and more power draw as the chips do not get reset.

Silicon semiconductors draw MORE power as they get hotter - this is the cause of "thermal runaway". Plus the higher temperature makes the wiring run hotter even at the SAME temperature, pushing the connector closer to it's meltdown point. The "HW error reset" only affects the chips for a very short period IF at all.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:31:09 AM

Your the one who is "arbitrarily deciding"
You have someone somewhere telling you what to say is OK.
Keep being a good little doggie and doing as you are told.

Ignore specifications, they're only for he faint of heart who think failures and fires matter ...

You got a spare 1000W PSU to send me to replace the failed one that Bitmain didn't pay for on my S2?

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
mazedk

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:39:51 AM

Dear customers,

The S5+ is now opening for sale in Mainland China market(as some one has already found on the bitmain.cn), and it will be available for sale on global market next Friday. Then you can purchase the S5+ on our official website of bitmaintech.com. 

We recommend Bitmain customers to purchase our products on our official website, unless you have your own particular reasons to buy from other channel, for example, you known about the seller quite well, or you trust the seller, or the seller can provide very good support to you.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1146965.msg12091187#msg12091187

So its confirmed.. but gotta say.. thats one giant beast of a miner. Bitmain seem to be moving more towards industrial miners with the s4+ and s5+.
aarons6
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:45:31 AM

bitmain should have been running 8 pin pci-e plugs since the s3..

this is from a seasonic 850 watt psu, running 2 s3s.. running at 225 speed.
this psu came with 4 PCI-E cables with 2 plugs each.. so all 4 of the pci-e plugs on the s3s were plugged in.

as you can see, it melted..

the s5 uses more power from the pci-e then the s3 does..
any plug in style the same as this will eventually melt..

kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 10:06:30 AM

Dogie you said they're skipping the S6 as that was the S4+, this is not going to be instead of the S7 which is rumored to be launched before the end of the year is it?
S5+
http://shop.bitmain.cn/goods.php?id=47

pekatete

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 10:12:16 AM

bitmain should have been running 8 pin pci-e plugs since the s3..

this is from a seasonic 850 watt psu, running 2 s3s.. running at 225 speed.
this psu came with 4 PCI-E cables with 2 plugs each.. so all 4 of the pci-e plugs on the s3s were plugged in.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8805/17064397165_e629aa0744_c.jpg

as you can see, it melted..

the s5 uses more power from the pci-e then the s3 does..
any plug in style the same as this will eventually melt..

You probably were running those S3's in a cool environment .... I've had a few scrapes with singly powered S3 boards during the winter. The cables may be in spec when running at those speeds, but bitmain's testing is also based on average ambients, so low(er) ambients will result in better efficiency and higher power draws ....

dimke_yu

Activity: 461
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2015, 10:16:13 AM

I also swapped PSU from S2 because when I measured consumption from wall it was not plesent to see. Sure device worked for a while but when I put 1200W PSU problems with the device disapeared.

Pages: « 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 [255] 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 »
  Print  

Jump to: