Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:05:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which note wins first place?
Blue/grey note with fractals - 49 (32.7%)
Bit-Pay Leonardo note - 18 (12%)
Orange B-Cash note - 23 (15.3%)
Psy Yellow Note - 60 (40%)
Total Voters: 149

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you like to design a bitcoin banknote?  (Read 94762 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 08:50:02 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2012, 09:27:15 PM by casascius

I would like to commission the creation of some artwork to serve as a print-your-own Bitcoin banknote.  This is something I am willing to pay for (and I pay decently for things), but want to openly throw out what I'm looking for before actually negotiating a deal.

So, here is what I am looking for:

• Artwork for a banknote that represents Bitcoin well, meant to be printed on paper and cut out to the approximate size of a dollar or euro banknote
  • The banknote should not have a specific denomination - it should simply be a generic "Bitcoins" banknote.
  • Artwork preferably needs to be in vector format, such as svg.  Regardless, it must look good at print resolution, and it needs to look good on home printers.
  • Despite all real-world fiat banknotes being double-sided, only a single side is needed.
  • Two blank spots for QR codes on opposite sides of the banknote are needed: one 25x25mm and the other 30x30mm.
  • The objective of this is to merge the resulting artwork with the code at BitAddress.org to create a "print cash" feature, and then release the whole thing to the public for free.
  • People printing these notes shouldn't have to worry that they'll be spending a fortune on ink or toner printing them in bulk.  So something that is simply abstract line art - with most of the page being white - would actually be preferable to something that was some huge graphical blob.  Simple is good.
  • The artwork should not depend on color, and should look decent if black is the only ink color available.

To anyone is interested in doing this project, if you have some samples of other artwork you've done that you can point me to, that would help greatly.  Thanks in advance!

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
minorman
Legendary

Activity: 945
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 09:20:07 PM

I seem to recall a thread about this a while back. There was discussion about famous mathematicians/cryptographers/formulae as possible motifs for bitcoin bills.

I'll see if I can find the thread. Maybe there are some useful ideas there...

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:23:51 PM

will this be paper? Will this be like the bitchecks that people are kicking around with the checks with the private key hidden with a hologram or is this something new?

I am not a designer but I can help with perhaps the process and if a website needs to be built around it you can count me in!

Casascius drop me a PM.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:44:30 PM

Bank notes seem to come with faces, so perhaps use guy fawkes as Nakamoto.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2012, 10:55:11 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2012, 11:06:07 PM by casascius

will this be paper? Will this be like the bitchecks that people are kicking around with the checks with the private key hidden with a hologram or is this something new?

Yes, these would be paper, meant for users to home-print.

The private key would be in plain sight however.  Their purpose would be for someone to "be their own bank", print cash, and spend it in person.  Put another way, they are an avenue for anyone to make cheap disposable physical bitcoins for their own personal use.

Bank notes seem to come with faces, so perhaps use guy fawkes as Nakamoto.

Ideally, the banknote will contain neutral imagery suitable for a worldwide audience.  Being decentralized, it's a plausible idea that it should not honor any person or have any faces - or if anyone, it ought to honor famous scientists or engineers that brought about fundamental advances in the science of computing.

For the purposes of this project, if a design contemplates honoring a person, then no specific person should be added at this point - instead, a cutout ought to be defined where another image (vector or raster as appropriate) could be inserted programmatically.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:00:36 PM

or if anyone, it ought to honor famous scientists or engineers that brought about fundamental advances in the science of computing.
Or pictures of the LHC, Cern, ISS, Apollo rockets, internet, fire, electricity, light, bridges and other similar great advancements in science/engineering.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 11:01:26 PM

or if anyone, it ought to honor famous scientists or engineers that brought about fundamental advances in the science of computing.
Then it should be Taher Elgamal on whose idea bitcoin security is based on. Smiley
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 12:58:01 AM

Mike -- if you make it, I'm buying it!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:19:42 AM

Mike -- if you make it, I'm buying it!

If I make it, you get it for free.  This is something I am looking to pay for to give away, not to sell!

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2012, 01:42:06 AM

i tried doing a bitcoin banknote once upon a time

here's what i came up with ...

front and back

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 01:49:30 AM

casascius, I think you got a winner here.

i tried doing a bitcoin banknote once upon a time

here's what i came up with ...

front and back

Awesome.
rxw

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 02:54:05 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ZYtci.png

payments for genius art can be directed to: 1RXWrxw3JBVv4AKy9UGSrXnQefwzWJUmM
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:16:52 AM

lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:23:46 AM

LOL
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:39:51 AM

I recommend using just regular printer checks. You can even print the public key where the bank routing numbers would go.
Blank check security paper

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:40:36 AM

I sent you a fraction of a coin.  Worth it for the lolz.
rxw

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:45:31 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ZYtci.png

I sent you a fraction of a coin.  Worth it for the lolz.

thank you I'm glad my work is finally gaining traction in this community. I appreciate your contribution, but I ask that in the future all donations be made in amounts evenly divisible by 420 Satoshis, for my convenience and yours
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:51:12 AM

thank you I'm glad my work is finally gaining traction in this community. I appreciate your contribution, but I ask that in the future all donations be made in amounts evenly divisible by 420 Satoshis, for my convenience and yours
I'm probably going to regret this, but what do you call a unit of 420 Satoshis?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 03:58:20 AM

A "weed", probably.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rxw

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 04:02:47 AM

https://i.imgur.com/gzHzE.jpg

a Bushel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 »
  Print  

Jump to: