Bitcoin Forum
December 04, 2016, 12:25:09 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Public STATEMENT Regarding Bitcoinica account hack at MtGox  (Read 67249 times)
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:14:09 PM

I have located a suspect, his name is 陈建海(Chen Jianhai). He's NOT my friend and we have never met in person. He was one of my previous business associates because he's very familiar with credit card fraud and he advised me a lot (in terms of fraud prevention, of course) when I built my virtual goods payment processor in late 2010.

He has knowledge of my secret gmail address and I have once re-used the password in his web shop

His English is not very proficient and I'm sure that he's not reading this forum at the moment. I'm giving him a call now to persuade him to admit his wrong-doing and return the funds.

I'll post another thread soon.

Did he have an intimate knowledge of Bitcoinica business, like where the MtGox access codes were stored and what the master password of LastPass was? And another unrelated question: when was the last time you used Tor?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
guruvan

Activity: 518

ShastaFarEye Prospectors mazaclub & mazacha.in

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 03:15:24 PM

Seriously, you 3 together have done a much better investigation than any "actual investigation" most official judges or police bureaus in the world would. The only think you lack is "authority".

Yes, such a good investigation, and yet they can't prove anything and decided to release private customer information and libel against a customer in the process.

Class act.

Zhou, get a lawyer, but get one to sue these shmucks.

It is not up to any of us to judge if funds should be unlocked, we should have an actual court with an actual judge do an actual investigation first.

Instead, it's your job to libel against customers for things you have no proof of?

I'm gonna take a break from Bitcoin for a while. When I come back, I hope to see that it's returned to being Bitcoin again and not just a microversion of the US government with a bunch of hot-head businesses eager for attention.

We can only hope the break is permanent. Maybe you'll help yourself to a dictionary while you take your break. You can learn the definition of libel, and slander, and see how they apply to your own words.

Mine at the Maza Club! with ShastaFarEye Prospectors! Mazacoin PPS & P2pool mining, and more services coming soon!
Maza Means Money! Check yours at the mazacha.in!

Please contact me  on my  OTC registered GPG (A54E87F2) Key's email address or guruvan@shastafareye.net  and encrypt all correspondence.
Jimmy2011

Activity: 566

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:18:55 PM

I am the owner of www.cnbtcnews.com. I introduce bitcoin to chinese people.
The evidence is from one person of my qq group.
zhoutong sell LR, and he buy LR from zhoutong.

How does this person know for sure Zhou Thong was behind U9236056?

He buy LR from zhoutong ,zhoutong show the LR account and the total fund is $23439.57.

How do you know he bought it from "ZT" if it was just over electronic communication?

cnbtcnews showed a screenshot for the transaction, from which it can be seen QQ member Ryan/ZT's LR account the same as ZT said today.

Bitcoin:1EBxhCQp2bUdQDZoQsix6vnivtr3EodCdP       Peercoin:PEjCk5P7FDTFbt3ZwtLPqsGpnQSRSTYRJX
hatshepsut

Activity: 64

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:21:11 PM

Seriously, you 3 together have done a much better investigation than any "actual investigation" most official judges or police bureaus in the world would. The only think you lack is "authority".

Yes, such a good investigation, and yet they can't prove anything and decided to release private customer information and libel against a customer in the process.

Class act.

Zhou, get a lawyer, but get one to sue these shmucks.

It is not up to any of us to judge if funds should be unlocked, we should have an actual court with an actual judge do an actual investigation first.

Instead, it's your job to libel against customers for things you have no proof of?

I'm gonna take a break from Bitcoin for a while. When I come back, I hope to see that it's returned to being Bitcoin again and not just a microversion of the US government with a bunch of hot-head businesses eager for attention.

We can only hope the break is permanent. Maybe you'll help yourself to a dictionary while you take your break. You can learn the definition of libel, and slander, and see how they apply to your own words.

+1
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:26:23 PM

Relevant?

Session Time: Fri Jul 13 00:00:00 2012
[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #intersango
[00:49] * ChanServ sets mode: +o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit sets mode: -o phantomcircuit
[01:01] * phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinconsultancy

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinica

Huh? Wtf Huh
If this log is real, this guy's got some explaining to do

I just read through all of this and missed if there was a follow-up to this post?

The IP in question is an american one, which doesn't necessarily mean anything. But it seems from that log (if legit), that phantomcircuit is given op privilegies, which means he should be identified with NickServ? AFAIK, you can authenticate from any ip, so if phantomcircuit's e-mail was compromized earlier on (as was stated on this forum), then his IRC personality could be compromized as well, for all we know, his computer(s) may be backdoored.

Googling ~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net gives some results, but I'm not going to do anymore research, if anyone feels up to it, go ahead.

I don't know Zou Thong, but personally I would've never have sold my operations to any 'security expert' that's previously been inolved in cracking said operations and boasting on it in a public forum...

http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/09/12/4
http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/2011/09/12/5

Did some research anyway:
41 days ago, the same identity was used by a user called phantomcircuit:
http://pastie.org/4096261

Aparently he's discussing the pay back process rather grumpily on that occasion.

However, "phantomcircuit is now known as steve_bobs" yielded no hits while searching on google, so perhaps it's just trolling ?

On one side I agree that the bitcoin companies breached their privacy statements, however, I for one, thought the information was interesting to get, however it also means that anyone in a similar position in the future can not trust that their account will not be frozen for similar reasons and their information being put public.

But it's funny that, now suddenly Zou Thong was able to find a 'suspect', actually a 'friend' of him to boot. I find it hard that he was not able to think of this earlier.

I see a lot of people are calling for police investigation in these matters. In the end, Bitcoinica customers are interested in clawing back their money, so what would be better than appointing reputable members of the forum, that would have access to a certain amount of the total funds each, and then have BC  hand over all the funds and then the claims process could continue ?

There are probably numerous criminal acts that's been comitted throughout this debacle, and the involved actors know this. Therefore they do not go to the police. Also, an investigation would probably take a lot of time, and it's questionable if it would lead to anything at all, but those who'd be richer by such a process would be the lawyers.

If Zou Thong is guilty, it would be better to step up, admit to it, and try to rectify the situation. If he's not guilty he sure as hell have made a lot of bad calls and have involved himself with 'criminal friends'.

(Somebody with a lot of time on their hands should create a site wiki-style and gather all the evidence with citations!)

The saga is not over yet. Look forward to the movie!
guruvan

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 03:27:58 PM

I'm gonna take a break from Bitcoin for a while.

What does this mean for Bitcoin Magazine/Ellet/UndisclosedSecretBitcoinProjectNumber12?
In the meantime you should have noticed that Matthews rarely keeps promises exactly as stated.

And it is very interesting that one of the most vocal public disclosure persons wants to suppress an investigation in this case.
He also tries to steer the discussion away from the actual theft case to something else.
We should start asking what Matthew has to loose in this case.

That is a serious question I've had in this case. I was highly suspect of PM I received from him some time ago.

Mine at the Maza Club! with ShastaFarEye Prospectors! Mazacoin PPS & P2pool mining, and more services coming soon!

Please contact me  on my  OTC registered GPG (A54E87F2) Key's email address or guruvan@shastafareye.net  and encrypt all correspondence.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:31:04 PM

I don't know Zou Thong, but personally I would've never have sold my operations to any 'security expert' that's previously been inolved in cracking said operations and boasting on it in a public forum...

Every crime has a motive. And what you have there was most likely the motive for what happened after Bitcoin Consultancy took over Bitcoinica Wink

Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:31:54 PM

We should start asking what Matthew has to loose in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness
The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.
Blazr

Activity: 882

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:37:51 PM

Relevant?

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #intersango

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinconsultancy

[00:49] * phantomcircuit (~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net) has joined #bitcoinica

I call fake on that chat-log. I can't find any evidence of that anywhere.

Busy ATM.
cryptoanarchist

Activity: 896

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 03:42:22 PM

Relevant?

I call fake on that chat-log. I can't find any evidence of that anywhere.

<sarcasm>
You mean btcx isn't a reputable source?!?
</sarcasm>
guruvan

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 04:08:59 PM

Relevant?

Huh? Wtf Huh
If this log is real, this guy's got some explaining to do

I just read through all of this and missed if there was a follow-up to this post?

The IP in question is an american one, which doesn't necessarily mean anything. But it seems from that log (if legit), that phantomcircuit is given op privilegies, which means he should be identified with NickServ? AFAIK, you can authenticate from any ip, so if phantomcircuit's e-mail was compromized earlier on (as was stated on this forum), then his IRC personality could be compromized as well, for all we know, his computer(s) may be backdoored.

Googling ~phantomci@c-67-188-9-35.hsd1.ca.comcast.net gives some results, but I'm not going to do anymore research, if anyone feels up to it, go ahead.

Did some research anyway:
41 days ago, the same identity was used by a user called phantomcircuit:
http://pastie.org/4096261

Aparently he's discussing the pay back process rather grumpily on that occasion.

Yes. He was quite pissed off at me in particular. I raised questions very early on after signing into this forum the first time - why the fuck do people trust this guy who has been known to hack competitors' sites?

phantomcircuit is one of the least trustworthy people I know in bitcoin. He is a calculating, deceitful, and dishonest person. Getting him to tell the truth is nearly impossible. I find it highly suspect that he left after the last hack. I found it highly suspect that the first hack happened not long after he had access to bitcoinica.

But, now ZT's bullshit story of the "friend" calls that motive into question. I have to wonder if there aren't MULTIPLE parties looting bitcoinica.

It has been my opinion since the hack, that the hack that closed bitcoinica was premeditated and intended to cover up the significant losses of customer funds due to "bad hedges" (or, more likely, looting already in progress)

What I am pretty damn sure of at this point: I have lost my $500 and position to an inside job.

cheat_2_win

Activity: 215

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:17:15 PM

Would have been nice to keep me in the loop at that point, then.

Zhou's explanation sounds convincing, but as previously said it is not up to us to judge, and legal action is most likely unavoidable at this point.

Either way, I believe many here would appreciate to know who they can turn themselves to to get things moving forward.

If you go to a judge after publicly humiliating Zhou Tong, I am pretty sure the judge will throw the case out. If you had wanted to go to law enforcement in the first place, you should have done that prior to posting any public statement in the first place.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 1848

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 04:22:23 PM

If you go to a judge after publicly humiliating Zhou Tong, I am pretty sure the judge will throw the case out. If you had wanted to go to law enforcement in the first place, you should have done that prior to posting any public statement in the first place.

I doubt it.  Making a public statement about him (even a humiliating one) doesn't make Zhou Tong less guilty of theft, so he would still be punished.

I'm into creating universes, smiting people, writing holy books and listening to prayers.
If you want your prayers answered, you must donate to 1CDyx8AUTiYXS1ThcBU3vy4SJWQq6pdFMH
racerguy

Activity: 271

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

I'm not sure about Zhou being the hacker.  Anyone remember one of the earlier hacks when the hacker was in irc giving away free coins from the heist?  That particular hacker seemed to not really be in it for financial gain and more in it because he was some hardcore anarchist that had been upset by something bitcoinica or bitcoin consultancy had done that pissed him off, that being the case I wouldn't put it past that particular hacker to try and setup Zhou or someone else involved to make it look bad for them.  

Also Zhou's behavior kinda strikes me as an innocent man being setup, but none of us here know for sure so the lynch mob thing needs to calm down a bit.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:26:28 PM

They stated an email linked to him was connected to suspicious transactions, Zhou Tong himself acknowledges this. IMO, Zhou Tong has to be more worried that he publicly acknowledged previous association with a black market operator and is claiming they have hacked him. On top of that he is acting as an intermediary between this 'alleged' culprit and the affected parties in relaying his offer of a partial payback in exchange for not pursuing criminal investigations.

Zhou's explanation sounds convincing, but as previously said it is not up to us to judge, and legal action is most likely unavoidable at this point.

Either way, I believe many here would appreciate to know who they can turn themselves to to get things moving forward.

Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 04:26:57 PM

Anyone remember one of the earlier hacks when the hacker was in irc giving away free coins from the heist?  

Anyone remember Zhou giving away 5,000 btc to anyone who asked?  Appears to be his M.O.

Sorry, but the evidence against him is overwhelming.  At this point, he has no choice but to refund 100% of the money he stole, otherwise people are going to be coming to see him.  Hopefully he will learn a life lesson out of this - DON'T STEAL.

I'm into creating universes, smiting people, writing holy books and listening to prayers.
If you want your prayers answered, you must donate to 1CDyx8AUTiYXS1ThcBU3vy4SJWQq6pdFMH
BitBuster

Activity: 101

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:32:29 PM

that being the case I wouldn't put it past that particular hacker to try and setup Zhou or someone else involved to make it look bad for them.
What's more likely? Zhou was the victim of a stupendous setup by a person who we have no to reason or evidence to believe exists, thus absolving Zhou of blame, or that he creating this persona for that purpose? This is the classic behaviour of cheating juveniles.

Also Zhou's behavior kinda strikes me as an innocent man being setup, but none of us here know for sure so the lynch mob thing needs to calm down a bit.
No it doesn't. If you haven't the faculties to realise that you have been shafted, don't deny others their right to retaliate in kind.

BB.
Vod
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 04:36:51 PM

What's more likely? Zhou was the victim of a stupendous setup by a person who we have no reason or evidence to believe exists, thus absolving Zhou of blame, or that he creating this persona for that purpose? This is the classic behavior of cheating juveniles.

Exactly.  "I'm holding it for a friend" is the oldest excuse in the book.

Zhou spent the 69 minutes typing up the long post, and now he is sitting back seeing what suckers believe it.

repentance

Activity: 840

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:42:26 PM

It would be public prosecutors taking the case to court based on the objective evidence gathered by law enforcement.  A judge isn't going to throw out criminal charges because someone said something on the internet.  It's not like anyone here would be likely to be sitting on the jury.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 05:30:41 PM

I hope everyone can comment with more reasoning and less assumptions. I'm trying my best to calm down and attempt to get more information about the hacker, because he also used my email for a credit card fraud case. It's possible to discover something at that direction.

I have also listed a few people who know this secret email of mine. And I'm going to question them one by one tonight.

I'm definitely on the side of Bitcoinica customers and I believe that if the real hacker really had ties with me personally like what MagicalTux said, I may be able to recover majority of the amount back if the hacker can be warned. This issue is very serious and if I'm the hacker, I would definitely return the full amount back to reduce the criminal punishment.

The hacker seems to be a Chinese because he used Chinese punctuations in his English messages in the Aurumxchange ticket.

I will provide any information needed to the police once Bitcoinica files a police report.

The hacker has now been warned and has returned all the stolen funds in 5...4...3...

(I have no idea how I got two pages behind in such a short period of time, so if the above has for real happened already, forgive me)

He probably doesn't know that. I have received another email just now and it seems that the hacker isn't aware of this thread at all:

https://www.aurumxchange.com/help/ticket.php?track=Y72-1AN-3Y4H&Refresh=32888

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pFbfXZSseU (following Maged's lead with this video in reply to the above)

Shit! I'm further behind. By the time I get caught up with this thread, Zhou Tong will be telling this to Zhou "Little Tommy" Tong III as a bedtime story.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.