Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:22:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Butterfly Labs  (Read 64407 times)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 03:02:14 AM

The word "assemble" can be misinterpreted. Soldering components to the PCB? Or putting the PCB (with all components already soldered) together with a cooler into a case? My guess is BFL's first batch will be soldered by the same place that did their FPGA boards, and BFL will put the boards together with coolers in cases in their own facility.
That's my impression too, but I think their end goal is to be able to do both, without any outside assembly at all.

The confirmation that the existing foundry would be used for the first wave of ASICs has forced me to delay upgrading the rest of my fpgas. The QC at that place is just sloppy - so chips that aren't flush.

I don't really think I'd want a rig that comes from there... hopefully they'll get fully in house before the second round... up the quality a bit.

and if you upgrade now, you can bet you'll be in the later rounds. Smiley  but please by all means dont order any more.. as a matter of fact, maybe you should cancel your current order... if you have one..

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 03:22:44 AM

The word "assemble" can be misinterpreted. Soldering components to the PCB? Or putting the PCB (with all components already soldered) together with a cooler into a case? My guess is BFL's first batch will be soldered by the same place that did their FPGA boards, and BFL will put the boards together with coolers in cases in their own facility.
That's my impression too, but I think their end goal is to be able to do both, without any outside assembly at all.

The confirmation that the existing foundry would be used for the first wave of ASICs has forced me to delay upgrading the rest of my fpgas. The QC at that place is just sloppy - so chips that aren't flush.

I don't really think I'd want a rig that comes from there... hopefully they'll get fully in house before the second round... up the quality a bit.

and if you upgrade now, you can bet you'll be in the later rounds. Smiley  but please by all means dont order any more.. as a matter of fact, maybe you should cancel your current order... if you have one..

Yes please cancel your orders and don't make anymore until I get my order.....lol 
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 04:44:02 AM

I've just got a 3 singles being upgraded (2000 ish order numbers) --- not doing the rest until it's inhouse production. I'm planning on getting a couple of sc rigs (or maybe a lot of bASIC depending on power numbers). Even with BFLs current numbers, bASIC is still more hash/$. But there is some added cost, due to not getting power bricks with them and having to rig up a stack or mounting board.

It doesn't make sense right now to keep piling on with with pre-orders. Unless your goal is to diversify by ordering from different makers. At this point might as well wait until they're in the wild and see what actual numbers are.

LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:52:51 AM

It doesn't make sense right now to keep piling on with with pre-orders. Unless your goal is to diversify by ordering from different makers. At this point might as well wait until they're in the wild and see what actual numbers are.

we've been placing small orders every 45 days or so starting with the second week of pre-orders. I like this strategy because it didn't stretch us thin for 3+ months & they will come in batches and hopefully pay for each other as we slowly build our farm.  Shoot, maybe we'll even get lucky and get some of the later orders in the initial 1/3, 1/3, 1/3... But not holding our breathe.
psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:55:52 AM

That is an odd strategy.

dip
VeeMiner

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

bitcoin hodler

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 10:58:44 AM

we've been placing small orders every 45 days or so starting with the second week of pre-orders. I like this strategy because it didn't stretch us thin for 3+ months & they will come in batches and hopefully pay for each other as we slowly build our farm.  Shoot, maybe we'll even get lucky and get some of the later orders in the initial 1/3, 1/3, 1/3... But not holding our breathe.

that doesn't make any sense whatsoever
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:31:00 PM

That makes no sense at all.  If you knew you were going to spend a set amount of $ you should have been in a bulk order as early as possible.  Basically you've still got the same risk capital wise, yet you've screwed yourself by not getting your mining gear up, running and generating profit as fast as possible. 
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:17:09 PM

That makes no sense at all.  If you knew you were going to spend a set amount of $ you should have been in a bulk order as early as possible.  Basically you've still got the same risk capital wise, yet you've screwed yourself by not getting your mining gear up, running and generating profit as fast as possible. 

We bought units as we had money.  What's wrong with that?  We didn't have a set amount when we started.  We had enough to buy x amount of units so we did.  We got in when the announcement happened.  In the meantime, as we mined more we reinvested that income into more units (30-45 days typically to do this). 

Believe us, if we could have put the amount of $ we've spent on pre-orders upfront we would of.  That's just logical.  But what I'm saying is we've invested as the money came along.  No debt. No maxxed out cards hoping to recoup the cost quickly.  This is a sound approach and we stand behind it.
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 01:50:19 PM

But if you win the bfl signature contest (but you won't coz you still have not put the link to your profile here in your entry there) you'll have to put up with one, with lifetime warranty though.

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 05:13:38 PM

We bought units as we had money.  What's wrong with that?  We didn't have a set amount when we started.  We had enough to buy x amount of units so we did.  We got in when the announcement happened.  In the meantime, as we mined more we reinvested that income into more units (30-45 days typically to do this).  

Believe us, if we could have put the amount of $ we've spent on pre-orders upfront we would of.  That's just logical.  But what I'm saying is we've invested as the money came along.  No debt. No maxxed out cards hoping to recoup the cost quickly.  This is a sound approach and we stand behind it.

Ah...alright, that makes sense then. Smiley  Your post made it sound like you had the money already, but it was a conscious choice to buy them a little bit at a time.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 05:18:41 PM

Every time I open my email and i see a new email with the subject: "[Announcement] Butterfly Labs"  I get all excited......

patience is not one of my strong points.

psilan

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 06:56:02 PM

There is no issue with what you did if you didn't have money. You just described it as a strategy.

dip
Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:05:10 PM

Congrats and good luck with the new job josh  Grin

all your asics are belong to me!

sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:00:56 PM

BFL handled my upgrade from 4 Jalapenos to a Little Single professionally and quickly, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm so glad I did not loose my place in line by upgrading.   Smiley

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:16:23 PM

BFL handled my upgrade from 4 Jalapenos to a Little Single professionally and quickly, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm so glad I did not loose my place in line by upgrading.   Smiley

No No.. it cant be real..  everyone cancel your orders....  it must not be real Wink

Badonkadonk

Activity: 560

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 09:45:58 PM

HEY! didnt you hear me?

all your asics are belong to me!

now hand them ovah!

Merrick

Activity: 113
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 06:45:38 PM

Finally broken down and pre-ordered a single. I don't care how late it ships, just take my money and give me shiny new hardware to play with.
michaelmclees

Activity: 633

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 07:32:44 PM

Finally broken down and pre-ordered a single. I don't care how late it ships, just take my money and give me shiny new hardware to play with.

I'd settle for ugly hardware if it could arrive sooner.  The idea that BFL customers care about cases with laser etched logos is absurd.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 07:37:09 PM

I'd settle for ugly hardware if it could arrive sooner.  The idea that BFL customers care about cases with laser etched logos is absurd.
They're waiting on chips either way, may as well make the cases fancy in the meantime.

I care.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:09:14 AM

But if you win the bfl signature contest (but you won't coz you still have not put the link to your profile here in your entry there) you'll have to put up with one, with lifetime warranty though.

My link to profile here is in my sig there... Don't particularly care if I win I'm still going to enter and advertise for them and they can DQ me if they want - as it's their contest and their rules. Granted it would be nice to get a freebee - but I don't really need it, and it would probably be better for bfl if they gave it to a non-customer.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 »
  Print  

Jump to: