Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 01:26:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum - Bitcoin client for the common users (friendly and instant)  (Read 110006 times)
Tachikoma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 09:51:06 AM

I was thinking of a feature that allows you to show a QR containing a signed transaction. Then you could grab your phone with Electrum and snap it and send without ever physically moving anything from offline machine to net-connected machine. Truly an "air-gapped" process.

Intriguing, I like how you're thinking .... Amoury (and any off-line wallets that can sign) might be interested in this feature also.

All I can say is I'm real glad BkkCoins is taking strong interest in contributing to Electrum and will quickly become an invaluable asset to the "team"... Smiley

Couldn't agree more. BkkCoins hit me up on irc so I can give you commit access to the main repo. You seem to deliver quality work Smiley

I've merged your 'merged' branch from two days ago into master now, did a lot of testing and it seems to be stable. I will try to find some time to checkout the merged2 branch. You are developing harder then I can test it Wink

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:10:26 AM

Hey would anyone of you guys be willing to comment on the setup I have for my savings wallet described here? How secure is it is what I'm after:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110106.msg1213006#msg1213006

I made a small adjustment to my plan. This is what I plan to have now:

- Ubuntu 12.04.1 up to date USB stick
- 2 users: administrator, standard (home directory encrypted)
- electrum light client on both
- administrator always offline with no browsing or any other kind of other use at all using electrum offline tx signing and deseeded wallet sharing
- standard online, synced with electrum servers with a watch only deseeded wallet + blockchain.info in firefox + noscript + verifier + firewall all blocked except out: 53/udp,80/tcp,443/tcp + no other use or browsing at all

Is this any better?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2012, 10:22:53 AM

All I can say is I'm real glad BkkCoins is taking strong interest in contributing to Electrum and will quickly become an invaluable asset to the "team"... Smiley
Thanks. I just switched from the Satoshi client a few days ago and haven't even uninstalled it yet. Main reason was blockchain reaching 4GB and my SSD is only 60GB. It's a new toy for me so have been looking it over and seeing what I can improve. This gives me a chance to review the code and feel comfortable with depending on it.

Couldn't agree more. BkkCoins hit me up on irc so I can give you commit access to the main repo. You seem to deliver quality work Smiley

I've merged your 'merged' branch from two days ago into master now, did a lot of testing and it seems to be stable. I will try to find some time to checkout the merged2 branch. You are developing harder then I can test it Wink
Thanks for the offer. I'll probably do that before too long but I'm not in a hurry. I'd prefer my changes were tested by a few users before being merged and this way I feel not solely responsible if my code bungs up the master. I don't mind if my code is queued up being tested for a while. It gives me a chance to test it more. I'm typically running my latest merge on my desktop myself. If it gets in eventually then I think users still benefit.

Anyway - hope to help make Electrum the best client available. Grin

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 12:09:54 AM

Any of you python guys had a play with Jeff's pynode?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94645.0

Wondering if it could offer something to the Electrum-Stratum client-server model?

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:49:00 PM

A few more things I've got in being tested at bkkcoins/electrum branch, merged-2. Anyone is welcome to test it but please backup your wallet first.

- show currency balance in pro mode. not fancy or clickable
- remember column widths for receive and history tabs
- new sahara theme with browns instead of blues

- import addr or key only
   allows import a watch only address (flag W in list)
   allows import just key w/o address like most other clients, gets addr from key

- multi-select sends - like coin control - expert only
   allows multi-selections in receive list and context menu to add as inputs for send
   send page looks same unless selected inputs then a list shows

I have tested most of this a fair bit but the multi-select sends I have only test the gui and not got around to testing the actual send trx yet. I'd prefer to use test net rather than risk my wallet but I'll probably do something tomorrow.

Going to go watch a movie now... Cool

flatfly
Legendary

Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:44:58 PM

A few more things I've got in being tested at bkkcoins/electrum branch, merged-2. Anyone is welcome to test it but please backup your wallet first.

allows multi-selections in receive list and context menu to add as inputs for send

I have tested most of this a fair bit but the multi-select sends I have only test the gui and not got around to testing the actual send trx yet. I'd prefer to use test net rather than risk my wallet but I'll probably do something tomorrow.

So many awesome features! Can't wait to try them out... But unfortunately, I don't have much free time these days. Hopefully, soon...
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 08:46:26 AM

Will check those out asap Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 11:04:09 AM

hey guys, trying to recover my brothers bitcoins from an oldish (january 2012) electrum client.

Client starts and shows balance, however, we cannot find a server to connect to (protocol changed?) in order to send the coins somewhere else.

Also "electrum -k addresses" seems to just hang and doesn't print the keys or addresses.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 11:08:12 AM

Before you do anything else, just to be sure, make a copy of the wallet.

Then try downloading the latest stable release from Flatfly (Windows) or do a pip install from the tarbal from the site (Linux). And see if that helps.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 11:13:34 AM

Before you do anything else, just to be sure, make a copy of the wallet.

did that.

Then try downloading the latest stable release from Flatfly (Windows) or do a pip install from the tarbal from the site (Linux). And see if that helps.

wont help, a new version will generate a different wallet with our seed and say "unable to read wallet" using the old .electrum/electrum.dat.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 11:18:37 AM

Ouch, do you happen to know which version you are using?

You can cat lib/version.py from the source dir if you don't know. (if that was already in that version)

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 01:36:11 PM

Ouch, do you happen to know which version you are using?

You can cat lib/version.py from the source dir if you don't know. (if that was already in that version)

we "solved" the problem by hacking that old version to not require server connection to dump the keys (electrum -k addresses).

thanks anyway.

Tachikoma

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 01:41:40 PM

Glad to hear it's solved.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:49:44 PM

Is there a way to add states to the wallet file so that the client could load the gui even if online and show all addresses and the last known balance? Don't get me wrong I'm perfectly happy how offline tx singing works right now and how that can be used for a secure wallet.. it's just that maybe this feature a bit more user friendlier might turn a neat feature into a very strong reason for using this client.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 11:31:05 PM

I just started Tor hidden service running Electrum server:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113116.msg1223779

Unfortunately I don't see any easy solution how to propagate this into the list of running servers.

BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 11:58:21 PM

I just started Tor hidden service running Electrum server:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113116.msg1223779

Unfortunately I don't see any easy solution how to propagate this into the list of running servers.
Perhaps onion names could be stored with the server list but only shown when the user has chosen SOCKS5 proxy mode?

rexcoin

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:33:59 AM

So sorry i did not read every post here but i have a question.
I have a lowlow end vps, with 192 mb ram, anyone know how much ram this bitcoin client uses? wish i could use the official but eh yea 192 mb ram is BAD!
flatfly
Legendary

Merit: 1016

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 03:51:00 AM

Based on my experience, the client uses about 28-30MB RAM.
BkkCoins

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 04:13:38 AM

Is there a way to add states to the wallet file so that the client could load the gui even if online and show all addresses and the last known balance? Don't get me wrong I'm perfectly happy how offline tx singing works right now and how that can be used for a secure wallet.. it's just that maybe this feature a bit more user friendlier might turn a neat feature into a very strong reason for using this client.
Do you mean ...even if offline...?

I think the client ought to be able to do this now but for some reason doesn't. It has a transaction history list stored in the wallet for all addresses accurate as far as the last time it connected. I haven't explored the code to see why it doesn't show this info when it cannot connect. There may be a reason or may be it just wasn't thought of as useful. I can see it being useful but it should perhaps have a "last sync'd at <datetime." status bar message when it cannot connect.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 01:54:43 PM

Do you mean ...even if offline...?

Yeah.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: