Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:34:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Palestine & israel? What do you think about that situation?  (Read 15031 times)
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 01:58:11 PM

Yes. Both the Arabs and the Jews have weapons and are willing to use them. This is a balanced view.

Do you know "Stone generation"?

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 02:04:02 PM

Yes. Both the Arabs and the Jews have weapons and are willing to use them. This is a balanced view.

I didn't noticed that phrase: do you mean something like that?

but one day I really want to say something like that:

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 02:16:31 PM

the clear standard is the right to self determination. all saudi citizens have rights in their country. most palestinians living under israeli rule don't.

I am not a big fan of Saudi Arabia. But you can't compare Israel with Saudi Arabia. The Saudis never kicked out anyone and invaded their land.

The worshippers of hundreds of preIslamic Arabian gods who were forced to convert to Islam when Mecca was invaded. Their idols were ejected from the Kaaba and destroyed in one of those famously peaceful acts of multicultural tolerance Muslims are famous for. The occupation continues to this day.

I don't want to intrude this topic, however, just clarifying this part. If you want, it can be discussed further in Wilikon's thread about Islam.

Historically when Ibrahim was ordered by Allah to build the Shrine for worship over a small he uncovered the original foundations of the Kaaba built by Adam. Ibrahim with the help of his son Ismael erected the new shrine on the same foundations.

Ever since, Ismael the son of Ibrahim who helped his father to build this place and his descendants remained the custodians of the Holy Shrine. History tells us that centuries passed and the guardianship of the Kaaba remained in the family of Ismael until the name of Abde Manaf came into the limelight. He inherited this service and made it much more prominent.

His son Hashim took this leadership and extended it to many other towns of Hejaz so much so that many pilgrims flocked annually to this place and enjoyed Hashims’s hospitality. A feast was given in honor of the pilgrims, food and water was served to all guests by the family of Hashim. This prominence created jealousy and his brother Abdu sham’s adopted son Ummayya tried to create trouble.

There was a dispute in which Ummayya failed and left Makka to settle down in the Northern provinces of Syria(Sham) currently known as Syria. After Hashim his brother Muttalib and after him Hashim’s son Shyba who became known as Abdul Muttalib assumed the leadership of the family. He organized feasts and supplies of water to the pilgrims during the annual festival of Pilgrimage to the Holy Shrine.

Prophet Ibrahim built this House for devout worship to one God. But within his lifetime people disobeyed his orders and began to put idols inside the Kaaba. Ibrahim had to clean the House of these idols and of Idle worshippers.

He told the people that this was a symbolic house of God. God does not live there for He is everywhere. People did not understand this logic and no sooner had Ibrahim died the people, out of reverence, filled the place with idols again.

They thronged to this place annually and worshipped their personal gods, It was over Four Thousand years later that the last of the line of prophet (S), Muhammad Ibne Abdullah entered Makka triumphantly, went inside the Ka’aba and, with the help of his cousin and son in law ‘Ali Ibne Abi Talib, (as) destroyed all the idols of Ka’aba with their own hands.

This was done in the 8th year of Hijra, (probably on January) 630 AD after the bloodless victory at Makka by the Prophet of Islam

Thanks for confirming this is what happened.

Taking a small part from it? It was built for praying to ONE God. Do you think changing the real purpose of it is good? What is your view if you built a place and others take it away for a contradicting purpose?

J. J. Phillips

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Islam and Nazism are belief systems, not races.

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 04:00:55 PM

I posted the Hamas picture because the previous picture showed an Jew pointing a gun at a defiant Arab with armed only with a camera. That is an unbalanced view. It's a false narrative that much of the world wants to push, for reasons already made clear.

So... can I ask you only one thing? Who is in the side of the truth (in your point of view)? The actual (oppressed) Palestinian people or israeli ones? I want to say another time that I don't support the israeli government (aka politics). Thanks for your attention.

Your question is: "Who is in the side of the truth (in your point of view)?"

As mentioned before, truth is a property of statements. If a statement is formulated clearly and all ambiguity is removed, then one can consider whether it is true or false. Truth is not a property of people or population groups or countries. As a consequence, your question literally makes as much sense as this:

"Which is more on the side of the truth? A Honda or a Toyota?"

How would you answer such a question?

In spite of the obvious communication problems, I want to assure you that everyone knows you oppose the Israeli government and their policies. If you're worried that your opinion about this isn't coming through, I assure you that this position has been clear from all your posts.

I will say these two things:

(1) I believe most Israelis would like to find a solution to live in peace next to an independent Palestinian state that does not attack them. My evidence for this is Israel's history of making peace deals with neighbors and offering peace deals to various Palestinian representatives.

(2) I believe most Palestinians will settle for nothing less than the utter destruction of Israel. My evidence for this is the history of intafadas, the creation and election of Hamas (who are explicit about their genocidal desires), suicide bombings, and rocket attacks. I think it will be extremely difficult for most Palestinians to ever accept Israel as a nation. If you want to get a sense of how difficult it would be, just notice how difficult it is for you to accept Israel as a proper noun.

Given these two beliefs, it is not surprising I defend Israel, and I defend Israel's right to defend herself. Probably most of you don't believe (1) or (2). I won't ask because I've already asked a lot of questions in previous posts and almost everyone ignores almost every one of them. This is not the way to advance any understanding of our positions. In the future, I reserve the right to reply to questions directed at me by repeating one of my previous questions that got ignored.

If Israel is destroyed, I will devote the rest of my life to the extermination of the human species. Any species that goes down this road again less than 100 years after the holocaust needs to be fucking wiped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Affair_of_the_Gang_of_Barbarians
Ilan Halimi: tortured and murdered in France by barbarian Jew haters who'd be very comfortable here at bitcointalk.
J. J. Phillips

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 04:02:58 PM

(ISSYR) Israel was a country during the period from 720BCE to 605BCE.

The dates are chosen because 720BCE is when a certain Kingdom of Israel in that region was destroyed by the Assyrian empire, which itself fell in 605BCE. I assume your answer is probably no, because goddamn Jews.

(PCSR) Palestine has never been under independent self rule.

Can we at least agree on that?

Oh really? You want to go that far in the past?? So who exactly was living there and what did the jews coming from egypt do to them according to the old testament? Or you want to hash that out?

I assume you're referring to (ISSYR), though both statements are about the past. The purpose of (ISSYR) is to help determine how different people are using the word "country". By your response, I think you mean you wouldn't use "country" to refer to any "geopolitical entity" that existed before Year Y, where year Y is sometime after 605BCE. Correct?

I still don't have information about the way you use the word "country". Was it correct that you have a Year Y? If so, what is Y?

If Israel is destroyed, I will devote the rest of my life to the extermination of the human species. Any species that goes down this road again less than 100 years after the holocaust needs to be fucking wiped out.
Ilan Halimi: tortured and murdered in France by barbarian Jew haters who'd be very comfortable here at bitcointalk.
J. J. Phillips

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 04:11:24 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 08:44:49 PM by J. J. Phillips

It was built for praying to ONE God. Do you think changing the real purpose of it is good? What is your view if you built a place and others take it away for a contradicting purpose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mosques_converted_from_churches_in_Istanbul

J. J. Phillips

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 04:55:21 PM
Last edit: April 11, 2015, 08:44:20 PM by J. J. Phillips

It was built for praying to ONE God. Do you think changing the real purpose of it is good? What is your view if you built a place and others take it away for a contradicting purpose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mosques_converted_from_churches_in_Istanbul

Even better: The Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem is built on the Temple Mount. By your own logic, wouldn't it be OK for the Israelis to tear it down and rebuild the Jewish Temple (the original purpose of the site)? Why haven't the Israelis already done this?

Oh, those are fun questions to repeat while no one answers them.

J. J. Phillips

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2015, 08:43:24 PM

Hey. Since you like that immigration map so much, I thought I'd make one of my own. In your honor I used your capitalization rules.

redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
April 11, 2015, 08:59:35 PM

Hey. Since you like that immigration map so much, I thought I'd make one of my own. In your honor I used your capitalization rules.

It seems that you have "transformed" this thread into a blame thread but I don't want to argue with you (it is not a personal thing, here or am I wrong Wink?). Yes that (the example) is a type of invasion as you can read here:

• An instance of invading a country or region with an armed force
  • An incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity
  • An unwelcome intrusion into another’s domain

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/invasion

Thanks for respect the thread rule  Roll Eyes.
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 12:13:19 AM

Look! the Israeli immigrants! just like England and Amsterdam! So wow much similarities!

saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:53:20 AM

Look! the Israeli immigrants! just like England and Amsterdam! So wow much similarities!
if the point here is supposed to be that israelis are violent whereas muslim immigrant invaders in europe are peaceful i have a gas chamber in my apartment i'd like you to come stand in while i go take a shower

third world savage immigrants don't look a lot like israelis with their guns and tanks but they have more in common than you think. unwanted foreign elements sneaking in somewhere where they aren't wanted as the authorities turn a blind eye, becoming the majority in certain areas creating no-go areas for natives first in a few towns and cities, eventually everywhere.

we need to start sinking these fucking boats in the med

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 09:02:25 AM

if the point here is supposed to be that israelis are violent whereas muslim immigrant invaders in europe are peaceful i have a gas chamber in my apartment i'd like you to come stand in while i go take a shower

No, My point is at a point you can stop calling them immigrants and start calling them invaders and it will become an insult when you compare them to immigrant communities in other countries. When those "immigrants" come to you fully geared from head to toe in an organized militia manner and tell you that you have 48 to vacate "how humane!", Then come after that period  to level your home to the ground regardless of any family members trapped inside. Indeed the similarities are uncanny between them and other immigrants.

u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 03:16:55 PM

[...]

I will say these two things:

(1) I believe most Israelis would like to find a solution to live in peace next to an independent Palestinian state that does not attack them. My evidence for this is Israel's history of making peace deals with neighbors and offering peace deals to various Palestinian representatives. (1)

(2) I believe most Palestinians will settle for nothing less than the utter destruction of Israel. My evidence for this is the history of intafadas, the creation and election of Hamas (who are explicit about their genocidal desires), suicide bombings, and rocket attacks. I think it will be extremely difficult for most Palestinians to ever accept Israel as a nation. (2) If you want to get a sense of how difficult it would be, just notice how difficult it is for you to accept Israel as a proper noun.

Given these two beliefs, it is not surprising I defend Israel, and I defend Israel's right to defend herself. (3) Probably most of you don't believe (1) or (2). I won't ask because I've already asked a lot of questions in previous posts and almost everyone ignores almost every one of them. This is not the way to advance any understanding of our positions. In the future, I reserve the right to reply to questions directed at me by repeating one of my previous questions that got ignored.

[...]

People refer to the "occupied territories" -- but this presupposes a certain view. Hamas believes all the land is occupied not just the "West Bank" and "Gaza." Regarding settlements being the problem, that argument would hold more weight if we didn't have the clear example of what happens when all the settlements are removed by Israel. This happened in Gaza. The reaction of the Palestinians was to elect Hamas, have an incredibly bloody civil war and then engage in years of rocket attacks into Israel. All while receiving sympathy and aid from around the world. (2)

[...]

(1) - Oh, is that so? Well, let's see - Israel has just recently had an election, which has seen Netanyahu and his Likud party retain power - so, what options has Israel actually been pursuing these last few years in order to obtain peace? It certainly isn't the one state solution. Is it the two states solution, as you claim? Netanyahu seems to disagree with you; during the campaign, he stated: "I think that anyone who moves to establish a Palestinian state and evacuate territory gives territory away to radical Islamist attacks against Israel, [...] The left has buried its head in the sand time and after time and ignores this, but we are realistic and understand", and later, during that same interview, he added that, was the Zionist Union to win the elections, "'it would attach itself to the international community and do their bidding', including freezing construction in West Bank and East Jerusalem settlements, and cooperate with international initiatives to return Israel's borders to the 1967 lines". I should add that this was not the first time he expressed these views. In fact, and to be more accurate, since as far back as 1977, the Likud party's position has always been the denial of the right of a Palestinian state to exist - with only occasional divergence.

So, what exactly is the plan here? Because, as far as I can see, the only plan that has ever been put in place is the never ending stalling of negotiations, and the advancement of the illegal settlement activity - activity which is fully funded by the Israeli state, by the way, since the settlers are actually paid to move to, and live in the occupied territories. Nothing here shows actions conductive to a two state solution - that is, assuming the objective of the two state solution is the creation of two viable, independent and autonomous states, and not the creation of one state, alongside several South African style Bantustans.

Further, how can an independent Palestinian state (you claim Israel wants) exist alongside the crushing sanctions and blockade imposed on the occupied territories? As Israeli officials themselves put it at one point, they wanted Gaza's economy, and the over 1.5 million inhabitants "on the brink of collapse without quite pushing it over the edge", and "functioning at the lowest level possible consistent with avoiding a humanitarian crisis". At one point, among the items denied entry into the occupied territory were crayons, paper, books, clothing, newspapers, baby formula and a variety of other food products, and so on - what possible justification could they have had to deny entry of any of those items? Where do you cross the line into pure and simple collective punishment of one and a half million people?

(2) - Actually, the PLO explicitly recognized Israel's legitimacy, and the two state solution as viable since 1993, and had implicitly done so to some degree years before then. Hamas, on the other hand, has tacitly accepted the right of Israel to exist since the 2006 elections (at least), and explicitly so since 2008. In fact, ever since 2006, Hamas has clearly stated that the issue of recognizing Israel wasn't their responsibility, but rather, to be left up to popular vote - a vote which they would abide by, even if the results went against their beliefs.

Now, I'm not going to defend their use of violence here - it's wrong when Israel does it, and it's wrong when Palestinians do it - but they hardly seem the irrational, genocidal actors you're trying to portrait most Palestinians to be; so, let's dig a little deeper...

The disengagement from Gaza you mentioned, in the second post I quoted, could use some more information; here's what the then Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's senior adviser had to say about the plan, which goes to show its intent and predictable consequences: "The significance of the disengagement plan is the freezing of the peace process, and when you freeze that process, you prevent the establishment of a Palestinian state, and you prevent a discussion on the refugees, the borders and Jerusalem. Effectively, this whole package called the Palestinian state, with all that it entails, has been removed indefinitely from our agenda", and "The disengagement is actually formaldehyde [...] It supplies the amount of formaldehyde that is necessary so there will not be a political process with the Palestinians". Asked why the plan had been devised, he stated "Because in the fall of 2003 we understood that everything was stuck. [...] Time was not on our side. There was international erosion, internal erosion. Domestically, in the meantime, everything was collapsing. The economy was stagnant, and the Geneva Initiative had gained broad support. And then we were hit with the letters of officers and letters of pilots and letters of commandos [refusing to serve in the territories]", and "You know, the term `peace process' is a bundle of concepts and commitments. The peace process is the establishment of a Palestinian state with all the security risks that entails. The peace process is the evacuation of settlements, it's the return of refugees, it's the partition of Jerusalem. And all that has now been frozen.... what I effectively agreed to with the Americans was that part of the settlements would not be dealt with at all, and the rest will not be dealt with until the Palestinians turn into Finns. That is the significance of what we did".

In other words, it was a way to separate Gaza and the West Bank into two distinct entities, physically and politically, discard the resource poor and unwanted land of the Gaza Strip, and concentrate on annexing territory in the richer areas of the West Bank - all the while being shielded from any real peace process, indefinitely. Tell me again how Israel really wants a two state solution? Further, despite removing settlers from Gaza, the territory was never not occupied - even if no constant military presence exists within, Israel controls: the borders, airspace, coastline, infrastructure, imports and exports, and so on.

Also, if the confidential documents published in 2008 by David Rose are to be believed, the "civil war" you mentioned, or coup, which saw Hamas gaining control of Gaza, was rather the result of the US and Israel (and a few others) training, arming and preparing Fatah to perform a coup on Hamas, which failed; or, as David Wurmser, former Vice President Dick Cheney’s chief Middle East adviser, put it: "It looks to me that what happened wasn’t so much a coup by Hamas but an attempted coup by Fatah that was pre-empted before it could happen".

By the way, you brought up the "creation of Hamas" - you do realize that Hamas was initially, in no small part, nurtured and allowed to grow, by Israel, right? At the time of the First Intifada, it was seen as a force that could be used to weaken the more secular and left-leaning PLO, and thus, divide the Palestinian population and its resistance to the Israeli occupation. And on the subject of the "history of the Intifadas" you also brought up as evidence of the Palestinian desire to destroy Israel, I have to ask: do you know how the First Intifada started - why the uprising started, and what the Israeli response was? Was it because of genocidal Palestinians trying to kill Israelis?

Finally, why is Israel opposed to the Palestinian move to seek international recognition, or even better, its efforts to join and seek legal action in the ICC? Surely, this is the right path: avoiding further violence, and seeking the punishment of war crimes - both Palestinian and Israeli war crimes. How is this a threat to Israel (assuming Israel does indeed want a two state solution as you had expressed above)?

(3) - Sure, everyone has the right to defend themselves; but it takes another step to show that they have the right to defend themselves by force, and that there are absolutely no peaceful alternatives that can be taken. Given what I have mentioned in the previous points - no peace plan, continued expansion of illegal settlements, the treatment of the Palestinian population, interference with the internal Palestinian political system, separation of the West Bank and Gaza, the blockade and sanctions regime - it is my opinion that Israel is far from having demonstrated a willingness to follow a peaceful alternative, but rather, seems more willing to avoid it.

To add insult to injury, when it does use force to "defend" itself, it often does so disproportionately, and sometimes even indiscriminately; the Dahiya doctrine is a clear example, unfortunately. Here is what a leaked cable from 2008 had to say about the military strategy - it includes some comments from Gadi Eizenkot himself (the current Chief of General Staff):
" 6. Eisenkot labeled any Israeli response to resumed conflict the "Dahiya doctrine" in reference to the leveled Dahiya quarter in Beirut during the Second Lebanon War in 2006. He said Israel will use disproportionate force upon any village that fires upon Israel, "causing great damage and destruction." Eisenkot made very clear: this is not a recommendation, but an already approved plan -- from the Israeli perspective, these are "not civilian villages, they are military bases." Eisenkot in this statement echoed earlier private statements made by IDF Chief of General Staff Gabi Ashkenazi, who said the next fight in Southern Lebanon would come at a much higher cost for both sides -- and that the IDF would not hold back."
" 7. (SBU) Eisenkot stated that Damascus fully understands what the Israelis did in Dahiya, and that the Israelis have the capability of doing the same to Syria. He suggested the possibility of harm to the population has been Hizballah leader Nasrallah's main constraint, and the reason for the quiet over the past two years."

How is this not state sponsored terrorism? And was this the real reason why the latest Israeli incursion into Gaza left over 2200 people dead, the great majority of which civilian, hundreds of thousands displaced, and widespread damage to civilian infrastructure - of which they still haven't recover to this day? Or why, in a previous incursion, Israel left close to 20% of Palestinian farmland destroyed, and a good amount of it completely unusable?

Well, then let me clear something up. I'm Canadian. I've never even visited Israel. I'm neither ethnically nor religiously Jewish. I never said I was Israeli or Jewish, but people on an earlier thread assumed it because I defended a Jew's right to walk through Paris unmolested. Clearly only a Jew would have such an opinion.

You're right that I'm very hateful though. I have a visceral hatred of Nazis. It bothers me intensely that people pretend to believe the Nazis were evil on a surface level while continuing to advance their beliefs. And most people are too fucking stupid to know they're doing it.

Again, please, don't take all criticism of Israel as ignorance, or antisemitism. You have to admit there are genuine issues that Israel needs to address, and that only it can address - and by that I don't mean Palestinians don't have their fair share of the blame in all this; of course they do. And again, the alternative to that is Israel will eventually find itself isolated and under sanctions; and despite what you might think, that is not something I want to see happen.
jaysabi
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1115

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:25:06 PM

u9y42, Thank you for posting a thoughtful piece in this thread. I've been lurking here reading both sides, and posts of your quality have been in short supply.

JJ Philips, some of your posts have also been high quality (when you're drilling down to analyze bias that underlies assumptions), but the way you talk down to and belittle people you don't agree with undermines your message. I hope you will take U9's message without feeling attacked for the purpose of continuing a productive discussion, because I'm looking forward to reading both of your posts as you fall on directly opposite side, and are both clearly knowledgeable and articulate. I just hope both sides remain civil, because I'm hoping to learn more and this discussion becomes wildly unworthy of following when either side is lobbing insults or being condescending.

abyrnes81

Activity: 714

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:26:42 PM

u9y42, Thank you for posting a thoughtful piece in this thread. I've been lurking here reading both sides, and posts of your quality have been in short supply.

JJ Philips, some of your posts have also been high quality (when you're drilling down to analyze bias that underlies assumptions), but the way you talk down to and belittle people you don't agree with undermines your message. I hope you will take U9's message without feeling attacked for the purpose of continuing a productive discussion, because I'm looking forward to reading both of your posts as you fall on directly opposite side, and are both clearly knowledgeable and articulate. I just hope both sides remain civil, because I'm hoping to learn more and this discussion becomes wildly unworthy of following when either side is lobbing insults or being condescending.

If someone and his words are right why should he rude and offend the other users? In my opinion they are invaders because they are using the force and destroy the Palestinian house and land and if you see here:

You will understand better the difference between immigration and invasion.

Your image:

Tusk

Activity: 444
Merit: 260

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 07:37:37 PM

Well said, I think there is an abundance of evidence that supports u9y42 argument that to date Israel has been disingenuous in its attempts to find any meaningful settlement.

What amazes me is that Israel fails to see they are now guilty of the same atrocities they claim to be victims of, the holocaust and their exodus from egypt with moses. We are expected to recognise their injustices and suffering while the palestinians does not exist, that is schizophrenic.

From the ashes rises the Phoenix. Viva the block chain, Viva BitCoin!
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:52:31 PM

Thank you jaysabi.

Well said, I think there is an abundance of evidence that supports u9y42 argument that to date Israel has been disingenuous in its attempts to find any meaningful settlement.

What amazes me is that Israel fails to see they are now guilty of the same atrocities they claim to be victims of, the holocaust and their exodus from egypt with moses. We are expected to recognise their injustices and suffering while the palestinians does not exist, that is schizophrenic.

Definitely not; Israel is certainly on a bad path, but comparing what they are doing to the holocaust is taking it way too far. Palestinians are a nuisance, often times an obstacle to Israeli interests, and I think there are substantial reasons to believe Palestinian lives are of little consequence, as far as Israeli policy is concerned; but that's about it - despite the, often extreme rhetoric of right-wing, religious and fundamentalist madmen, it doesn't even begin to approximate the horror you're comparing this to.

That is, of course, no justification for the way Palestinians are treated. And accusations of antisemitism to stifle any and every dissenting opinion are dangerous, not only in the sense they make light of real antisemitism, but mainly because they hide the real issues - which need to be addressed, if the situation is to improve.

Moreover, and this is something I should have included above (and it deserves far more attention than I can give it in this post), I think J. J. Phillips is right in one important point, which he touched upon above: we should never forget the part other countries play in all this - the US being an obvious case, as Israel goes only as far as the US allows it (again, despite the rhetoric; and if you're American, remember that you're paying for a lot of it), but they're not alone - Europe is certainly complicit in a lot of this as well, for example, among many others.
hofor

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:13:28 AM

the zionists must be the only people on earth who could settle in someone else's country and create a jewish majority country by expelling most of the original inhabitants and successfully fool much of the civilized world into calling those people terrorists when they try and defend themselves
Zionists aren't a people, but rather a movement working towards a homeland for the Jews. And they succeeded.

Palestine was not someone else's country, but rather an area under British administration in the years before Israel was founded.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as the original inhabitants, as Palestine had a rather small population before the Jewish immigration started around 1900.

Yes, Arabs were expelled from Israel, but this was because of the war that several Arab countries started in an attempt to wipe out the newly founded state. As a matter of fact, there were about 50/50 Arabs and Jews in Israel originally. Had the Arabs not started the war, all those people would not have been refugees today.

As for defending themselves, do you really consider launching rockets at civilians a form of defense?

not the same because colonists in those places eventually granted the natives their rights whereas israel continues to disenfranchise arabs while portraying itself as a victim.
This is not true. Israeli Arabs do have their full rights, and they also have laws protecting them as a minority. Furthermore, Arabic is an official language in Israel.

You can't expect Israel to give equal rights to foreigners, and no other state on earth does that.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but my understanding was that Israel was "the promised land" that their god promised his "chosen people." That is how they justify the expelling of the Palestinians in 1947. Correct me if I do not have this correct.
Many of the Zionists that worked towards the creation of Israel were Socialists and Atheists. So no, the religious angle is not really relevant. Israel was founded as a secular state by a largely secular group of people.

And they didn't expel the Palestinians in 1947. The large wave of Palestinian refugees was created in 1948, when Arabs attacked Israel in an attempt to wipe it out.
hofor

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:22:25 AM

third world savage immigrants don't look a lot like israelis with their guns and tanks but they have more in common than you think. unwanted foreign elements sneaking in somewhere where they aren't wanted as the authorities turn a blind eye, becoming the majority in certain areas creating no-go areas for natives first in a few towns and cities, eventually everywhere.
Your comparisons fail for a number of reasons, but I will mention a couple here:

Israel is a beacon of freedom and democracy in the area. Minorities are granted equal rights and protection under law. Arabic is even an official language in Israel. Individual rights are extremely important. For example, where else in the area would you expect to see homosexuals parading through the streets celebrating their sexual orientation as they do yearly in Tel Aviv? Comparing this to people from societies where freedom of speech is non-existent and where homosexuals are executed is quite a stretch!

The Jews in Palestine mostly settled down in areas where there weren't any existing inhabitants in the first place. Palestine was not a country of its own but rather just a rather big and rather empty area under different rulers. I'm not sure why you think Jews shouldn't be allowed to make use of freely available space in the middle of nowhere, where no one has laid any claims to the land in the first place.

What are these no-go areas for natives related to Israel, if I may ask?

No, My point is at a point you can stop calling them immigrants and start calling them invaders and it will become an insult when you compare them to immigrant communities in other countries. When those "immigrants" come to you fully geared from head to toe in an organized militia manner and tell you that you have 48 to vacate "how humane!", Then come after that period  to level your home to the ground regardless of any family members trapped inside. Indeed the similarities are uncanny between them and other immigrants.
Would you mind clarifying which militia you are referring to which is telling people to vacate in 48 hours?

Remember, plenty of Arabs migrated to Palestine as well (the Jews created a higher standard of living, which also attracted Arabs to those areas). Do you consider them to be unwanted immigrants too?
lophie

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:40:07 AM

Would you mind clarifying which militia you are referring to which is telling people to vacate in 48 hours?

Remember, plenty of Arabs migrated to Palestine as well (the Jews created a higher standard of living, which also attracted Arabs to those areas). Do you consider them to be unwanted immigrants too?

No of course I would not mind. חֵיפָה is one of many examples to cross my mind. April 1948. A city flattened on top of its thrown out civilians in every district. Do you want personal stories told by my best friend's grandfather?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haifa#Government

The funny thing is, you should read the Arabic version. It is like it s talking about a parallel universe where things went VERY much different. Yet because one group speaks the language you do, what they say is truth. Consider maybe the other side is either severely mouth-gagged or dead.

And yes your second statement is very much absurd and not true at all. Without diplomatic reasons there is a slight chance you can go there either for you getting blocked by Arabian governments or theirs.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: