Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:32:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm giving 100% ROI away to anyone who thinks pirate is a fraud  (Read 102981 times)
Duderin0

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:53:24 PM

There's an amazing amount of butthurt in this thread over a guy who did what he said he'd do according to the letter of his posts.  And now you guys are starting a witch hunt over him when he's not stolen anything from anyone unlike the several exchange "hacks" and investment scams?

Hell yeah, if governments ran on Bitcoin, MNW would definitely be in power because you guys are suckers.

How so?  No money changed hands as a result of MNW's bet, (other than the example 20BTC) so technically he hasn't stolen anything from anyone... UNLIKE the multiple ponzi schemes and fake exchange hacks.  If MNW didn't actually take anyone's BTC up front, how did he "dump his Pirate's debt"?

Why is everyone taking this obvious 9 day old sock puppet seriously?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Duderin0

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 09:58:50 PM

Oh the irony! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aiZOx7mVic
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:01:24 PM

I believed I would win the bet and I also believed there was a good chance  Matt had no intent in paying so I skipped the bet.
Why bet on something you will win and probably not get paid?

Not sure you thought this through. A bet you will definitely win and maybe not get paid is a very good bet.

The only reason I didn't bet more is because I really felt sorry for Matthew back then (this was early in the bet still, before he went full retard and went above 10K, actually much earlier than maxing the 10K).

But thinking about it there are many wins about this bet. You get to be a "victim" so I can have some fun and go to the Financial Services Authority in the UK, something I always wanted to try but never had the excuse to. I'm still pondering this. Also, being entitled to ask for the scammer tag etc. I'd say this bet was really good, feels better than winning a couple hundred.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:09:39 PM

Pirate offered him on IRC to buy his bet so Matthew doesn't risk his neck with it. Matthew politely declined the offer, saying that it was his bet, and he would have to respect his deal.

At that time, I had a huge respect for Matt, getting offered an easy way out of his bet, but wanting to stick to his end of the deal.

Now....seeing this. Matthew, I don't know if you realized, but you fucked up pretty high. You had the greatest opportunity to build yourself a reputation for decades that would have probably helped all your business ventures. It's sad to see, really sad.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:10:42 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 10:30:26 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Pirate offered him on IRC to buy his bet so Matthew doesn't risk his neck with it. Matthew politely declined the offer, saying that it was his bet, and he would have to respect his deal.

At that time, I had a huge respect for Matt, getting offered an easy way out of his bet, but wanting to stick to his end of the deal.

Now....seeing this. Matthew, I don't know if you realized, but you fucked up pretty high. You had the greatest opportunity to build yourself a reputation for decades that would have probably helped all your business ventures. It's sad to see, really sad.

You got that chat log because that is insanely bizarre.

If true:
1) Pirate being an insolvent debtor really didn't have any right to buy Matt's bet.
2) Matt if he really believed the bet was a sham would have ever reason to pawn it off on Pirate.

Either there was collusion going on or at the point of that conversation Matt was taking the bet seriously.  I think people forget that 3 weeks ago PPT bonds were trading at > 50 cents on the dollar.  There was no absolute 100% belief among everyone on the forum that Pirate would not pay out.  

IMHO Matt made a bet when he thought Pirate would pay and made the decision to scam after the fact when he realized he would lose.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 10:13:10 PM

You got that chat log because that is insanely bizarre.

1) Pirate being an insolvent debtor really didn't have any right to buy Matt's bet.
2) Matt if he really believe the bet was a sham would have ever reason to pawn it off on Pirate.

Either there was collusion going on or at least at the point of that conversation Matt was taking the bet seriously.  I think people forget that 3 weeks ago PPT bonds were trading at > 50 cents on the dollar.  There was no absolute 100% belief among everyone on the forum that Pirate absolutely would not pay out.  IMHO Matt made a bet when he thought Pirate would pay and made the decision to scam after the fact when he realized he would lose.

That's an interesting point, it shows why he may have started taking bets again and racked up such a huge amount of bets. Makes it easy after the fact to say "It was totally a joke guys!" Hell some people here are saying that already.

He can't be a scammer he was totally just kidding  Roll Eyes.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:13:55 PM

I believed I would win the bet and I also believed there was a good chance  Matt had no intent in paying so I skipped the bet.
Why bet on something you will win and probably not get paid?

Not sure you thought this through. A bet you will definitely win and maybe not get paid is a very good bet.

The only reason I didn't bet more is because I really felt sorry for Matthew back then (this was early in the bet still, before he went full retard and went above 10K, actually much earlier than maxing the 10K).

But thinking about it there are many wins about this bet. You get to be a "victim" so I can have some fun and go to the Financial Services Authority in the UK, something I always wanted to try but never had the excuse to. I'm still pondering this. Also, being entitled to ask for the scammer tag etc. I'd say this bet was really good, feels better than winning a couple hundred.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply 100% sure I would win.  Just that I likely (90% to 95%) would win. 
I still considered it possible that Pirate would attempt to repay investors with devalued coins.
While I doubt Pirate could pull that off on his own maybe some large third party would use that as an opportunity to crash the market for their own reasons.
So investors would get "repaid" but the buying power of the coins repaid would be less than what they invested.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 10:15:20 PM

I dunno, Matthew's been spending a lot of time trying to hunt down Atlas alts and get them banned. There'd be a certain irony in him being on the other end of that for much the same reason as Atlas.

Did Atlas ever try to scam people out of 10k's of Bitcoin? I don't follow his posts, so really don't know.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:30:30 PM

Hmmmm. Now I wonder if I put this idea into Matthew/Pirate's head?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=102072.msg1117967#msg1117967

First 3 posts.
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:40:45 PM

If he had 200k coins and truly believed in pirate, he would have just bought pirate debt at 5% of face value.  

Maybe he was?  How do I know if he was or not?  Maybe he saw this bet as a way to make more money while buying up debt behind the scenes?  I have no idea.

Doesn't change why I made the bet I did.
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:41:34 PM

In defense of Mathew:
All but the most retarded here assumed near zero chance the Pirate would legitimately pay up.  That includes Mathew.

No, Matthew was quite serious the first days, until he upped the stakes and it became an obvious joke. In any case we are not here to joke about money.

No one but Matthew knows what his motivations where at what points in time.

As for why we are here, we each have our own motivations.  I, for instance, am perfectly happy to joke about damn near anything and money is a particularly rich hunting ground when it comes to seeking entertainment value.

http://www.donkdown.com/media/DDRadio-2012_08_22_19_00_07.mp3

~18 mins in

If there was humor in that interview I missed it completely.

I want my 1BTC Matthew.

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

bigasic

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:44:43 PM

I think a lot of you are correct.

1. MNW believed that Pirate would pay and he would easily win the bet.

2. Realized he was done for and figured out his "get out of jail free" card

3. Accepted a ridiculous amount of bets upwards of 80k bitcoin (to help with the allusion of not being serious)

4. Realized that he has not only ruined his name and reputation for life, the reputation of Bitcoin Magazine is now forever tarnished. I don't think he realized the true repercussion this would have on him personally and business wise..

5. Down plays the whole thing.. (Back peddling all the way like the scammer/troll that he is)

The biggest loser in all of this? Not only those that were hedging and buying up others debt,  but Bitcoin magazine. I think that they have legal action against him. He has definitely cost them money, maybe even the entire business will be ruined because of this. So, maybe Bitcoin magazine offers to pay the bet (up to the 10k) and then sues MNW for the loss, (which would be epic)..

If that were to happen, i would absolutely (as well as most others) not accept the money from bitcoin magazine, but as long as they take action agains MNW is what matters most.. I have a feeling that Bitcoin Magazine is not going to let MNW get away with this. I, as a business owner, would be doing all I could legally to re-coup the damage that he has caused...

It will be interesting to hear what the magazine decides to do......
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 10:49:20 PM

I'm drawn to this quote from MNW:

I'm giving 100% ROI away to anyone who thinks pirate is a fraud

Did anyone who thought Pirate was a fraud receive a 100% ROI from MNW? Thought not.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:51:57 PM

I dunno.  He came back from his scam-ish 'bitmole' days to become forum staff.  I think I've only followed this forum for 16 months or so, so it didn't take any longer than that.  Matthew seems to be sort of one of those 'come-back kid' types in Bitcoin-land.  I'm not ready to count him out just yet...and neither closer nor farther away from having any dealings with him.  Maybe if he brings back the 'Bitcoin Better Business Bureau' it could drag him out of the hole he dug :^)

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:56:33 PM

Did anyone who thought Pirate was a fraud receive a 100% ROI from MNW? Thought not.
Asshole's Advocate: they gave him no money and received 0 * 2, which happens to be 0. Fits with his twisted line of reasoning.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 10:57:27 PM

Asshole's Advocate: they gave him no money and received 0 * 2, which happens to be 0. Fits with his twisted line of reasoning.

I didn't receive a 0 btc Tx from him. I was waiting for one, but none arrived.

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 10:58:44 PM

Probably because you never sent him a 0 BTC TX.
Slushpuppy

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:00:21 PM

I wish life was like Gangs of New York. The dead rabbits would not stand for this!
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 11:02:08 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 11:59:49 PM by organofcorti

Grumble.

What about all the time I spent reading this damn thread? Surely that's some kind of investment I made here? I want MNW to spend the same mount of time doing things for me.

nimda

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 11:07:12 PM

Grumble.

What about all the time I spent reading this damn thread? Surely that's some kind of investment I made here? I want MNW to spend the same mount of time doing things for me.
Grounds for a scammer tag!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: