Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:41:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm giving 100% ROI away to anyone who thinks pirate is a fraud  (Read 102981 times)
Vladimir

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001

-

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:24:30 PM

He needs a scammer tag for sure. Nobody could possibly have interpreted the original post in that way. It's beyond ridiculous.

He will still lose 2240 BTC if he honors his silly interpretation but that's irrelevant. Scammer is a scammer.

Unfortunately, it is true.

-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:25:21 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bet. It was a great social experiment for me to find out who my true friends were, and also to entertain the community (which is my true purpose on these forums and always will be). Unfortunately, it looks like I lost the bet. This means I'll need to pay out exactly as described in my original thread OP.

Many of the people betting were very careful to point out that others were ignorant and foolish to invest their money into Pirate without doing due diligence beforehand, so far as to call them shills, suckers, etc. This leads me to believe that the individuals betting in my bet are very wise with their money and would only bet if they carefully read and understood the rules of the bet. For this reason, I am confident that the very wise individuals betting in this thread will be satisfied with the very literal interpretation of my thread.

I will begin paying for my losses as outlined in the following rule:

If I lose the bet, you get 20BTC sent to that address (13dSK4663Ts7j2PwHS1eUVjycKLBwx7PJM). If you lose, you'll need to send 20BTC to my address.

I'll begin processing the payouts for each of the 112 betters in this spreadsheet immediately: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajtx05YrHtIydFVHcGxLOExTbnhqajJLZmlSZUNtM3c&pli=1#gid=0

Please make sure to following along for your own record keeping purposes. I will update this thread with each payment as well. Thanks again!

Wow! How utterly disappointing Sad

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:25:56 PM

What difference would my bet make to your magazine? I must be missing something.

Not much really, if I really liked your magazine then I would order it anyway. But since your magazine has been pretty crappy otherwise as well (timetables etc suck), and additionally you waste your time on these forums behaving like a 10-year-old, it is much easier decision to not support your businesses. Better to use that money for something more sensible, like sponsoring the core developers.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:26:42 PM

To hell with your magazine.

Unfortunately, it's not "my magazine". Not sure how many times I'll need to correct that in the future. Please boycott Dove soap since I wash my buttcrack with that Wink

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:27:08 PM

Thanks to everyone who participated in this bet. It was a great social experiment for me to find out who my true friends were, and also to entertain the community (which is my true purpose on these forums and always will be). Unfortunately, it looks like I lost the bet. This means I'll need to pay out exactly as described in my original thread OP.

Nice.  For a variety of reasons, I don't do 'bets' very much.  Mostly only when I can be sure I will win, and I tend to have a high bar for 'certainty'.  In this case I was pretty sure I would not win because I was pretty sure that there is no way in hell you could come up with the BTC even if you are crazy enough to not welch.  Were I to have decided to bet for some reason I would have studied the OP most carefully and may or may not have spotted your trick.  Since you don't seem like the kind of guy who would be in with pirateat40, and are probably to bright to trust him even if you thought you had info, I was pretty sure that you would be pulling something along these lines.

In my opinion your act was clearly a 'scam' (as much as I appreciate it) and you should wear the 'scammer' tag.  Hopefully with as much grace as bannanula.  I think it would be kinda cool of a staff member of this forum had a scammer tag.  It would demonstrate the open-minded and honest nature of the forum, and would have a legitimate benefit of warning people to be careful when doing business with you.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:27:31 PM

damn, and I so wanted to order that ellet or whatever it was called. That wrist watch bitcoin thingy Matthew? How do you think that will fare now?

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:29:33 PM

Unfortunately, it's not "my magazine". Not sure how many times I'll need to correct that in the future. Please boycott Dove soap since I wash my buttcrack with that Wink

Nice try. Oh, and way to completely screw over Vladimir.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:30:07 PM

What difference would my bet make to your magazine? I must be missing something.

First honest thing you have said in a long time.  You are missing it.  The reality is as an owner and senior editor of the magazine your personal actions DO reflect on the magazine.  People can't trust you (that is obvious) so why should they trust a company who trusts you.  Either the company is equally illreputable or has horrible judgement.  That has to factor in to the decision to do business (subscriptions, advertising, partnerships).  

Our company was considering advertising but we won't not until you are off the payroll.  Simply too much of a risk.  Your personality and low moral standards are a business risk.  You are the senior editor.  Can we trust your judgement not to defame our company in the event your personal feeling get hurt?  Can we trust the magazine won't take a deposit for advertising over the next 6 months and then just walk away?  

The magazine is more than just you but while you remain a part of it you are dead weight and a liability.
bitcoiners

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:31:26 PM

First honest thing you have said in a long time.  You are missing it.  The reality is as an owner and senior editor of the magazine your personal actions DO reflect on the magazine.  People can't trust you (that is obvious) so why should they trust a company who trusts you.  Either the company is equally illreputable or has horrible judgement.  That has to factor in to the decision to do business (subscriptions, advertising, partnerships).  

Our company was considering advertising but we won't not until you are off the payroll.  Simply too much of a risk.  Your personality and low moral standards are a business risk.  You are the senior editor.  Can we trust your judgement not to defame our company in the event your personal feeling get hurt?  Can we trust the magazine to take a deposit for advertising over the next 6 months and then just walk away?  

The magazine is more than just you but while you remain a part of it you are dead weight and a liability.

QFT

Also, why doesn't this asshat have the scammer avatar as well?
mooseman99

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:31:52 PM

If I remember correctly,
Bitcoin Magazine is not Matthew's deal, it's run by Vladimir.  I think Matthew was just an editor or something

I even remember at some point Vladimir telling him to take it out of his avatar pic during the bet because it was bad publicity.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:32:42 PM

Unfortunately, it's not "my magazine". Not sure how many times I'll need to correct that in the future.

Do you have an equity stake in the magazine?
Do you have stock options or other deffered compensation based on the future profits of the magazine?
Do you receive a salary or other direct compensation from the magazine?

Saying it isn't "your magazine" is more of your weasel word bullshit.   Yeah Tangible Cryptography is no longer "my" company (as it now has 5 entities with an equity stake) however I profit or lose because of my equity stake in the company even though it is no longer "mine".
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2012, 04:32:46 PM

Vladimir, I hope you'll consider firing Matthew and hiring a new Editor-in-Chief for Bitcoin Magazine. This recent stunt from your chief editor might have killed your little magazine before it had the chance to fly. There is still time to fix it though.

If nothing is done about this, the reputation for the magazine will not be very good.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:32:58 PM

Are you a major representative, shareholder/owner, and/or highly ranked officer in Dove? You've damaged Bitcoin Magazine's reputation to the point that I will never buy a copy; nor will I buy an Ellet. I hope you get fired.
coinft

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:33:23 PM

For the record, the reason we don't generally see this kind of trickery with contracts is that the courts take an exceedingly dim view of it. They do not interpret them in the way that Matthew is trying to do. Ever.

+1

Sounds to me like a mob boss saying "See the scammer doesn't suffer an ... accident. Make it so." and then trying to wriggle out of responsibility, when the intention was glass clear.

The bad news is, depending where you live, even though judges will agree with the common sense interpretation, a personal bet between gentlemen is a matter of honor not law.

The interesting part now is how far the dishonor will spread by people trying to back him up, not awarding the scammer tag, and not expelling him from projects he is part of. This could seriously harm bitcointalk itself.

kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:33:41 PM

when this thread was created, wasn't it 200%

is that why the scammer tag happened to the OP?
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:33:44 PM

First honest thing you have said in a long time.  You are missing it.  The reality is as an owner and senior editor of the magazine your personal actions DO reflect on the magazine.  People can't trust you (that is obvious) so why should they trust a company who trusts you.  Either the company is equally illreputable or has horrible judgement.  That has to factor in to the decision to do business (subscriptions, advertising, partnerships). 

Our company was considering advertising but we won't not until you are off the payroll.  Simply too much of a risk.  Your personality and low moral standards are a business risk.  You are the senior editor.  Can we trust your judgement not to defame our company in the event your personal feeling get hurt?  Can we trust the magazine to take a deposit for advertising over the next 6 months and then just walk away? 

Sorry mate, as much as I'd love to agree with you and all, I'll have to call bullshit on this one. I paid the bet already as described in my thread. On top of that, are you saying if I wouldn't have made this bet, everyone would magically have subscribed?

I look forward to more accusations and butthurt, but it's pretty late here. Let the trolling begin! I have a big day of work tomorrow in various companies that no one even knows I'm involved in apparently. ROFL.

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:34:23 PM

Vladimir, I hope you'll consider firing Matthew and hiring a new Editor-in-Chief for Bitcoin Magazine. This recent stunt from your chief editor might have killed your little magazine before it had the chance to fly. There is still time to fix it though.

If nothing is done about this, the reputation for the magazine will not be very good.

It's not Vladimir's call. I already replaced myself as Editor-in-Chief 2 months ago. Just waiting on them to formally sign in. Wink

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:34:33 PM

Your personality and low moral standards are a business risk.  You are the senior editor.

Well said. With this stupid jokes BTC are going to be seen as a playground for trolls and scammers.
bitcoinBull
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:37:41 PM

While I don't think anybody in their right mind thought Matthew would honor his wager, I fail to see how this kind of interpretation could possibly avoid him earning a Scammer tag.  This is lower than the eBay scams for a picture of an item.

+1

I didn't even understand the implications of his interpretation first. He only sends 20 BTC to that address in question, which is his own address. So he ends up not paying anything to anyone, except 20 BTC to himself.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:37:55 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2012, 04:48:59 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I paid the bet already as described in my thread.

You did not pay the bet.  Period.  In an agreement one party can't simply interpret the agreement how they wan't and expect to be resolved any liability.

If you are so sure you paid the bet how about submit it to arbitration:
http://www.judge.me/

Hell I will even pay the judge.me fees you just need to escrow the full balance prior to arbitration to ensure it is paid out if you lose.
BTW I didn't bet so this isn't some attempt for me to collect winnings.  I just know that even you know your interpretation is bogus and wouldn't stand up to any third party.

On top of that, are you saying if I wouldn't have made this bet, everyone would magically have subscribed?
I didn't say everyone will subscribe that is just more of your personallity showing through.

Your actions will affect the magazine.  Will everyone stop subscribing? No.  If you quit or are fired will everyone pissed at you subscribe? No.

Your actions still do have an effect.

I look forward to more accusations and butthurt, but it's pretty late here. Let the trolling begin! I have a big day of work tomorrow in various companies that no one even knows I'm involved in apparently. ROFL.

Hopefully they remain hidden as the same would apply to any other company you work for.  Your are a liability for those you work for.  A net negative and if you can't see that well it just shows how much of a risk you are, to those who partner with you.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: