Bitcoin Forum
July 01, 2024, 11:43:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790365 times)
Jonesd
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 02:38:14 PM

Thanks all for the update! Smiley

Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Block Bastards
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 03:13:13 PM

****IMPORTANT, PLEASE VOTE****

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976031.msg10656234#msg10656234
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2015, 03:19:03 PM

mmmh, i'd like to have some asian service noodles

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 03:21:57 PM

The voting is going towards noodles.

This could be a great Chinese marketing strategy.

Who knew!
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 03:23:23 PM

Who knew!

I've voted  Grin
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 04:18:23 PM

Hi everybody,

I am new to spreadcoin, but from what I can see, things are pretty awesome! What I understood as pros untill now:

- smooth coin decrease instead of halving
- compact transactions
- only solomining
- quite rare

Are there things I missed?

So can anybody give me a short recap of why this coin was in the coinmarketcap top 100 first and decreased so much? Any issues with mining perhaps?

Welcome!

Brief summary:

The lead dev running the project went awol in Feb.

There was a base infrastructure, but no direction with the former lead dev.

The community has stepped up. We are updating the infrastructure to Bitcoin Core with a second tier of service nodes, and we have introduced a defined direction.

Update & roadmap 1, 5 June 2015:  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11hu8xM6sojS6ciqdXyFXE_ENK4TemnEr-uFucAOB3IY/edit#slide=id.p

Update 2, 30 June 2015: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QRZskvS6ekYSofsM5WsTQB3-gtHb2KCIymL90eqx_mQ/edit#slide=id.p

aaand mining this coin is a right pain in the backside - as without pools - it needs to be done in solo ...

My Pool is up since 3-4 months now:

https://spr.suprnova.cc

Miners etc everything is available but folks keep denying the pool and not listing it ...

https://spr.suprnova.cc should be added to the OP.

A short explanation on how OC got around the "anti pool" mechanism, would clear things up.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 07:09:17 PM

Who knew!

I've voted  Grin

There is only one vote for "Gotta feel for Stonehedge"

Hmm.

Wonder which way you voted  Grin

Well chaps, name change is on the cards. Service Noodles.

Just another crazy day in crypto land.
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:07:09 PM

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=976031.msg10656234#msg10656234
notabeliever

Activity: 724
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 12:51:39 AM

Hi everybody,

I am new to spreadcoin, but from what I can see, things are pretty awesome! What I understood as pros untill now:

- compact transactions
- only solomining
- quite rare

So can anybody give me a short recap of why this coin was in the coinmarketcap top 100 first and decreased so much? Any issues with mining perhaps?

Welcome!

Brief summary:

The community has stepped up. We are updating the infrastructure to Bitcoin Core with a second tier of service nodes, and we have introduced a defined direction.

Update & roadmap 1, 5 June 2015:  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/11hu8xM6sojS6ciqdXyFXE_ENK4TemnEr-uFucAOB3IY/edit#slide=id.p

Update 2, 30 June 2015: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QRZskvS6ekYSofsM5WsTQB3-gtHb2KCIymL90eqx_mQ/edit#slide=id.p

aaand mining this coin is a right pain in the backside - as without pools - it needs to be done in solo ...

My Pool is up since 3-4 months now:

https://spr.suprnova.cc

Miners etc everything is available but folks keep denying the pool and not listing it ...

https://spr.suprnova.cc should be added to the OP.

A short explanation on how OC got around the "anti pool" mechanism, would clear things up.

tried to mine on suprnova but couldn't is it running? Maybe the difficulty is too much for i gpu?

spreadminer_v0.1r3 Using a Nvidia 750ti just getting "the current time  GPU #0 Geforce GTX 750ti 1387 khash"

spreadminer -o stratum+tcp://spr.suprnova.cc:6666 -u worker -p pass
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 01:00:49 AM

....tried to mine on suprnova but couldn't is it running? Maybe the difficulty is too much for i gpu?

spreadminer_v0.1r3 Using a Nvidia 750ti just getting "the current time  GPU #0 Geforce GTX 750ti 1387 khash"

spreadminer -o stratum+tcp://spr.suprnova.cc:6666 -u worker -p pass

While he gets back to you about his pool, try solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhDzpiBLDcA

Its very easy.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 04:23:56 AM

Hi everybody,

- compact transactions
- only solomining
- quite rare

Welcome!

Brief summary:

originally this was a novel concept - but it a dismal failure when it comes to distribution of coins to the public who is more concerned with the use of the coin and the applications they can use the coin for ( which is still in the process and the community at large - especially those involved directly with development - are doing an awesome job at ) ...

an argument i have had since the very beginning ...

if distribution of the coin is the main source of purchases for the apps on the up an coming servicenodes - then the easier the distribution access - the better ... purchasing coins on the exchange is one thing ... but for a miner ( like we are ) its a no-brainer that we mine the coins ...

BUT - unfortunately - its all about a 'no-pool' policy ( or as is the case now - a low pool policy ) which makes it a very specific way to mine ( solo ) ... and as such - interests only those that are willing to take the time to do so ...

dont get me wrong - i am FOR the coin and support the plans that are in the process ... but have ALWAYS been against the way one mines this coin ...

mr spread did an amazing thing by revealing a coin that is specific to its own design ... but when the fanfare dies down and all is said and done - what is left are the only things that keep this coin alive ... its community and its continued increase in minted coins ...

we all know where that has now ...

mining is at an all time low - and the interest that was once a great thing that was working in its favor - is now working against it ... its difficult mining process ...

simplify that - and the overall interest AND awareness is raised ...

i speak from a miners point of view - and one that still mines this coin from time to time - but always turn back to the simplified systems to mine ... if only just because its an easier setup to mine other coins - and switch between them without any real infrastructure changes ... especially with our farm ...

#crysx

Here is the problem with your argument.

1. Bitcoin now has 5 pools that account for 60% of the total hashing of Bitcoin. Bitcoin mining is centralized.

2. Making it easy to switch is, err, not a priority.

3. The mining of SPR is a function of price. Increase demand for services has a positive impact on price, miners switch over.

4. Private pools can be created. I've always said I like pools. SPR makes pools more difficult to operate, so that encourages decentralization.

coins101 ... with all due respect - there really is NOTHING wrong with my argument at all ...

as a miner - these arguments are steadfast and correct ...

bitcoin is NOT spreadcoin - so the centralization argument is moot ...

the issue of distribution of the coins - and thus the servicenodes and apps - is MORE than valid ... ocminer has had a pool for a long long time now ...

we never mined on ocminers pool for two reasons ... availability of the SORCECODE ( which i asked him FREQUENTLY for - so that we can compile both nvidia AND amd miners - which he NEVER supplied to us ) and optimization of his fork of the miners ( which dont match anywhere near that of sp's closed private miner and thus the impossibility of mining on ocminers pool ... this is the reason we mined exclusively at nonce-pools pool - which is now closed ...

ocminer is a good guy - with good pools ... spr have shown 'almost' no support of his efforts by placing his pools on the op ... regardless of what miners are out there for spreadcoin ... in fact - in times past - ocminer was slammed for the pool ... as well as all the talk about nonce-pool - which we were mining on  at the time ...

i do know you are in favor of pools - i watch this and many other threads closely ... i personally am invested heavily into spreadcoin ( and no - i wont tell you how much i own Wink - but its quite a bit ) ...

making it easy to switch - DAMN RIGHT its a priority ... especially as a miner with a farm that is tuned to mine exclusively - or generally ... the spreadx11 algo is a good algo ... making it an easily switchable algo allows for a WIDE range of miners and home users ( miners also ) to take interest in the COIN ...

the servicenodes and apps - great! ... the interest that will bring in is fantastic - BUT - the network itself RELIES on the stability of the blockchain and the MINERS that support it ...

and if you think that mining of spr is purely a function of price alone - then the type of 'miner' the network will attract IS the dumper ... if you want to attract more miners like US - that are interested in the stability and availability and value of the coin - then taking my words into account will serve the network well ... if not just purely that you will attract the 'right' miners with farms that will mine spr ...

im getting frustrated at the wastage of potential that this coin has because of the whole 'holier than thou' attitude this coin is looking like it is taking on ... seriously ... this is a STRUGGLING coin ... with some DAMN good members of the community ( including you and the devs ) ... this will all go to hell if things dont change soon - and the whole 'bitcoin centralization camparison' isnt over and done with ...

bitcoin is NOT centralized - bitcoin will NEVER be centralized - bitcoin mining is NOT centralized - regardless of how many BIG miners have whatever percentage share of the network ...

if these BIG miners drop dead - the network ( and diff ) will adjust ... if more BIG miners come in - the network ( and diff ) WILL adjust ... it will NEVER be a centralized system - EVER ! ...

funnily enough - the same will happen with spr - regardless of how many mine or not ... but the EASE of mining is the one thing that will conduct this ...

its all good and well to look back in history of the mining hashrate when it all started - but we all KNOW that almost everycoin has that happen because THOSE kind of miners exists to mine and dump ...

it really amazes me how you can state there are all these flaws in MY argument - when you are not in MY position with the farm ... take into account that support from more miners like ME / US will produce a damn sable backend and blockchain ...

before picking all this to pieces and making spr the God of all coins - take a look at the miners side as well as the devs side as well as the users side ... we all exist ... and yes - we all mine and use and buy and trade different coins - not JUST spr ... so switching to ME and a great many miners alike - is a VERY valuable asset ...

if this is the the road spr is going to continue taking - i for one ( of many many MANY that i know ) will lose faith in this altogether ... not a good sign mate ...

#crysx

stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 08:01:46 AM

I mostly agree with you that mining is difficult.  The original intention of the solo mining only claim was to make it easier for the masses to mine with their CPUs and their GPUs. 

If I run my AMD R9 on full whack for a week I might find up to 10 blocks which is great I guess (if you don't take into account the 300w of power that it takes) however even with the current low hash rate I find it hard to believe that the 250-500Mhs we are seeing are lots of individuals mining with their PCs.  I have a feeling that there are probably only a dozen or so people with big rigs mining.

On a separate note, the SpreadX11 AMD miner is very inefficient.

Having said the above, I cannot understand your references to SPR being portrayed as the "GOD of all coins".  This has to be one of the most hyperbole free threads on BCT.  Everybody in the community recognises that there is a lot to be done to make SPR a success and all aspects of Spreadcoin need to be reviewed including mining.

As for OCMiner, I have a huge amount of respect for the work that he does and would love him to be involved in addressing any real or perceived issues with SPR mining.

chrysophylax, what do you propose as a solution to your concerns?  Should SPR switch to standard X11 and allow pools? 
MrSpace

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:08:14 AM

Told you so SPR is going downhill !
stonehedge
Legendary

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 09:20:17 AM

Good to have you back MrSpace, we've missed you!
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 09:22:51 AM

really? ...

mrspace ... im voicing opinions and concerns ... it certainly DOESNT mean that spr is going downhill ...

in fact - due to the openness of the community and thread - when it does resolve any and all the issues - it may just be a coin to contend with ...

but complete negativity is NOT what im about here ... maybe you are - but that is non of my concern mrspace ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 09:49:09 AM

I mostly agree with you that mining is difficult.  The original intention of the solo mining only claim was to make it easier for the masses to mine with their CPUs and their GPUs.  

If I run my AMD R9 on full whack for a week I might find up to 10 blocks which is great I guess (if you don't take into account the 300w of power that it takes) however even with the current low hash rate I find it hard to believe that the 250-500Mhs we are seeing are lots of individuals mining with their PCs.  I have a feeling that there are probably only a dozen or so people with big rigs mining.

On a separate note, the SpreadX11 AMD miner is very inefficient.

Having said the above, I cannot understand your references to SPR being portrayed as the "GOD of all coins".  This has to be one of the most hyperbole free threads on BCT.  Everybody in the community recognises that there is a lot to be done to make SPR a success and all aspects of Spreadcoin need to be reviewed including mining.

As for OCMiner, I have a huge amount of respect for the work that he does and would love him to be involved in addressing any real or perceived issues with SPR mining.

chrysophylax, what do you propose as a solution to your concerns?  Should SPR switch to standard X11 and allow pools?  

firstly - the statement i made about it being 'the God of all coins' has come about due to the lingering impression that there is a lot of 'this coin is fantastic and doesnt NEED anyones opinions' ... thats the impression im starting to get from the overall environment that spr has ... it concerns me more than i say - as im usually not so vocal about such things ... again - it is the 'impression' that 'i' get ...

the 'eerm' statement coins101 wrote earlier made me 'feel' that what im suggesting ( and have ALWAYS suggested ) is ( and always will be ) fobbed off and disregarded ...

the initial purpose of spr WAS a no-pools scenario ... thats now defunct ...

ocminer is awesome when it comes to setting pools ... we have always mined on his pools for MANY different coins ... ocminer unfortunately is NOT an optimization developer for algorithms of miners - unlike sp who has released a highly optimized ( albeit private ) spreadminer that jacks right into the nonce-pool we were mining on for a while before nonce closed his pools for good ... irrespective of what shortcomings the pool had with private keys or not - never ONCE was there an issue pointing the spreadminer-spmod miner at nonce-pool and mining ... all the while almost everyone on the thread denying there were ANY pools in existence at the time ... nonce-pool himself even came out and gave his two cents worth ...

as a farm owner ( and one that has mined spr for a while for both ourselves AND others here ... yes - we have donated mining FOR other members of this community ) the ease of switching algos happens to be VERY important for us ... it is a MAJOR issue to continue to change - not only the setup - but the miner itself on EVERY SINGLE SYSTEM of the farm ... for those with only one machine or one miner - its not an issue ... but for us ( and anyone in our position ) its a pain ...

which once again - with the 'eerm' statement of having NO WAY of making it easy to switch algos is ( in my humble opinion ) a blind way of looking at the realities of the industry ...

as for a solution - allow me to explain one very simple fact ... spr does NOT DISALLOW pools ... it just makes it more difficult ... thats all ...

so should spr switch to x11 to 'make it easier' to have pools ... HELL YES! ...

the wider the scope of distribution of the coin - the wider the interest AND the easier it is for the novice ( and expert alike ) to mine and trade and hoard and spend ( when the servicenodes come into play ) the coins at will ...

we once had ALL our nvidia section of the farm mining spr ( you would remember it as the hashrate was a lot more than now ) and would have had the amd miners involved also had it not been for the compilation issues we had under linux ... this would have boost the hashrate by another larger sum ...

have we dumped the coins? ... no way ...
have we traded some? - yes way ...
are we mining any longer? ... not a chance ...

its too much effort to change miners and settings and setup on too many machines of the farm ...

im not 'just' complaining ... im giving factual examples of what it takes for a farm owner to take a coin like spr into account out of the MULTITUDE of coins that are doing similar - if not the same - things that spr is planning on doing - but with a simpler way of mining ...

we here are not just miners of the coin ... as carriers of the coin ( notice - NOT 'bagholders' Wink ) - we WANT to continue mining and trading and getting this coin to a level of stability and 'solidity' that no one can look at it as being 'just' a coin ... but i honestly cant see that happening without some radical changes to the distribution of the coin ... note - i continue with the 'distribution' card ... spr really cant be worth anything if its not in the hands ( or wallets ) of EVERYONE we can get it in ...

anyway - i feel like im waffling now ...

its too much effort to mine spr the way it is ... simplify the algo - or at least the mining method - and spr will be a much more interesting coin ... when the servicenodes come in - there wont be much that people wont do to spend their coins that they accrued on both the servicenodes ( we are VERY interested in having MANY of them ) and the applications that sit on the nodes themselves ...

#crysx

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:48:27 AM

^ on it
coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 10:49:44 AM

Hey, bump bitch.

Welcome back.
just2laff

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:21:07 AM

crysx

I agree that the AMD miner needs work.  I do not agree about using x11, by any means.  That would just bring out all of the mine/dump farmers, just like the price going up again will.

How many machines are you running in the farm?  I ask because I remote into 18 of mine from halfway around the world, on a poor satellite connection.  I can stop the miner, and run a batch file to start mining any algo or pool I want.  Including spread.  It takes about 30 seconds per machine.

I'm not trying to argue.  I'm just trying to understand why it would be so hard to do.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 12:09:45 PM

crysx

I agree that the AMD miner needs work.  I do not agree about using x11, by any means.  That would just bring out all of the mine/dump farmers, just like the price going up again will.

How many machines are you running in the farm?  I ask because I remote into 18 of mine from halfway around the world, on a poor satellite connection.  I can stop the miner, and run a batch file to start mining any algo or pool I want.  Including spread.  It takes about 30 seconds per machine.

I'm not trying to argue.  I'm just trying to understand why it would be so hard to do.

no argument at all ...

the way you use your system is quite obviously windows based ...

our entire farm is linux based ...

this is not a simple change of batch ... it is a complete system change over and setup running a completely different miner ( which has to be compiled - and using an optimized miner makes it that much more inefficient to change over ) to various wallets in the network that HAVE TO be running ... its a right pain ...

as for the change in algo - there is much much more than just mine and dump farms out there ...

i have no issue with the algo itself UNLESS there is a setup procedure - and that is the main issue ... there is no simple way to come off mining spr onto another coin and back again ... its a major operation to do such things ... the larger our farm gets - the more time and effort it takes to mine ...

the other algos are a simple change in settings and restart of the miner ( ccminer-spmod / sgminer-dev auto switching ) ... this cannot be done with spr - it requires manual intervention and setup ... and we will not lock our entire farm to one coin to mine ...

i am not the only one with this situation at hand nor with the same mind set ... it would be foolish of anyone to think that the entire farm would be dedicated to spr on a permanent level - just beacuse of the monotony of the script changing and manual fiddling ...

i am personally invested in many coins - and have no intention of changing that ...

apart from the obvious personal need for ease of transition - the difficulty of coin switching is not a productive setup when it comes to a farm that is fast becoming a 'large' farm to a 'goliath' ...

it just doesnt make any sense to spend a large amount of time just for a change over of coin mining ... we are almost finished the update to the farm - and will soon undergo a complete changeover to a standard setup ... which means we need to enforce a 'standard' in the way the farm works ... windows is a no go - not in a million years ... the headaches in stability and expense in licensing is beyond a joke ...

at the moment its a few more machines than you have - which will grow to almost double that in the next 60days ... we cant afford to make more work in the farm for one coin - as much as we want to support spr ...

we are currently working with another developer and testing a script and system that will do this same thing using ONE miner ( ccminer-spod for the moment ) that will automatically switch between coins AND algos ... cant be done with spr ... not without some major changes to the code AND the setup ( solo in to a wallet or to a pool ) ...

its of no real consequence - we have mined many spr and are sitting on them for the reasons stated earlier in the last couple of posts ...

but if there is any REAL market for spr - it will be in the hands of the many - not the few ... which is what all this is about ... so the algo in its current form just makes it more difficult to mine - on or off the pools ...

i totally disagree with you on the algo change - and say that the scenario you pointed out will happen ANYWAY - once the coin price goes up ... its been proven time and time again in the past and will happen with spreadx11 or x11 regardless ... x11 just makes it a more viable option for the distribution of the coin ...

anyone can bitch about bitcoin and the headaches involved with mining and the network that it sits on - but no one can deny the EASE of mining bitcoin with almost ANY miner out there - optimized or not ... inclusive with the ease of changing to another alt coin automatically without any manual intervention ...

damn im tired - so please accept my apologies if ive repeated myself here and there - or im non-sensical in some of my statements ... its been a long day and starting to get really late here ...

#crysx

Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: