Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:18:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 328 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming)  (Read 790353 times)
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 12:18:04 PM

Thats a really useful and informative post crysx.  You don't seem tired or repetitive at all

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 12:26:03 PM

Thats a really useful and informative post crysx.  You don't seem tired or repetitive at all

much appreciated stonehedge ...

i really am looking forward to spr succeeding - but have my concerns which i have voiced ...

i like the plans - i like the community - and the people that make up the community ...

i guess its just my opinions that are getting in the way with our progress on a farm level with spr ... because its actually ME that does all the blasted changeover :| ... hehehe ...

where is an assistant when you need them Tongue ...

#crysx

georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 06:56:15 PM
Last edit: July 09, 2015, 07:09:08 PM by georgem

And finally here's the sourcecode of the new wallet:

https://github.com/spreadcoin/spreadcoin/tree/newwallet

it's in a new branch called newwallet.

please help me debug it and thorougly test its features, so that we can push it to master soon.

If you need to download the most recent version of the wallet for linux, windows or mac, see here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045373.msg11262666#msg11262666

Thanks.

just2laff

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 08:00:10 PM

i really am looking forward to spr succeeding - but have my concerns which i have voiced ...

i like the plans - i like the community - and the people that make up the community ...

i guess its just my opinions that are getting in the way with our progress on a farm level with spr ... because its actually ME that does all the blasted changeover :| ... hehehe ...

#crysx

Yeah, I can't imagine doing all of that every time!  And I like your posts.  I just don't always understand everything.  I mined an arm load, too.  Right now mining something else and buying spread with BTC.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 07:25:52 AM

And finally here's the sourcecode of the new wallet:

https://github.com/spreadcoin/spreadcoin/tree/newwallet

it's in a new branch called newwallet.

please help me debug it and thorougly test its features, so that we can push it to master soon.

If you need to download the most recent version of the wallet for linux, windows or mac, see here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1045373.msg11262666#msg11262666

Thanks.

fantastic ... testing next week ...

will be away for 2 days ...

tanx georgem ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

#crysx

Yeah, I can't imagine doing all of that every time!  And I like your posts.  I just don't always understand everything.  I mined an arm load, too.  Right now mining something else and buying spread with BTC.

and that is my point exactly ...

its not meant for anyone to really 'understand' as such - though it would be quite advantageous to understand the crypto industry as a whole ...

its meant to be 'easy' for everyone to get into and do the things that we all do with the coins ... we mine - others buy and hold - you mine and trade and buy spr ...

we are doing the same as you - except buying more spr ... the farm is commited to many other things at the moment ...

i personally would really like to see the easy distribution of spr though an easy way of mining - especially through pools ...

the main drive of mining is to stabalize and secure the blockchain as well as mint new coins to use in the network ...

tanx for your comments ...

#crysx

awoland
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1021

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker [F.N.]

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 02:14:49 PM

Grin
let's see how we are going to handle this communication barrier.

Hi,georgem

and all others!

You did a fine job with this barrier of communication.  Grin But in fact, this barrier does not exist ...

And although my contributions in the source code are purely cosmetic , I have been closely and mindfully looking the progress of work on a new  SpreadCoin wallet.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker [F.N.]
georgem (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007

spreadcoin.info

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 04:51:16 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2015, 10:31:40 PM by georgem

Grin

Hi,georgem

and all others!

You did a fine job with this barrier of communication.  Grin But in fact, this barrier does not exist ...

And although my contributions in the source code are purely cosmetic , I have been closely and mindfully looking the progress of work on a new  SpreadCoin wallet.

Welcome awoland.

Highly appreciated that you finally make a post here in the new official spreadcoin thread.

This must be your first post ever on BCT in english language??? After more than 1500 posts in russian? I feel honored.  Cheesy

Please stick around and contribute, your input is highly valued.

Smiley

PS Next time you make a commit to the master branch it would be nice if you could contact the devs / community first, before you go ahead. Thanks.

defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 10:19:06 AM

Grin

Hi,georgem

and all others!

You did a fine job with this barrier of communication.  Grin But in fact, this barrier does not exist ...

And although my contributions in the source code are purely cosmetic , I have been closely and mindfully looking the progress of work on a new  SpreadCoin wallet.

Hey awoland

What do you think about altering the "pool resistant" code to "pool friendly" code, as suggested by chrysophylax?
Jonesd
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 10:25:06 AM

Grin

Hi,georgem

and all others!

Hey awoland

What do you think about altering the "pool resistant" code to "pool friendly" code, as suggested by chrysophylax?

I'm pretty new to the coin, but doesn't making it pool friendly kinda defeats the whole purpose of this coin?

Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Block Bastards
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 10:46:19 AM

Grin

Hi,georgem

and all others!

Hey awoland

I'm pretty new to the coin, but doesn't making it pool friendly kinda defeats the whole purpose of this coin?

I'm not saying it's good or bad, i just want his opinion.

But deep down, i like the "pool resistant" code. I like how most users mine spr via Solo, even if its possible to pool mine.
This only happens because of the "pool resistance", so i like it!
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 12:43:03 PM

Grin

Hi,georgem

and all others!

Hey awoland

I'm not saying it's good or bad, i just want his opinion.

But deep down, i like the "pool resistant" code. I like how most users mine spr via Solo, even if its possible to pool mine.
This only happens because of the "pool resistance", so i like it!

i once liked it too ...

until the issues involved with mining it turned into a major headache ...

even when we were mining with nonce-pool - we still had to go through all the changes involved with it ...

but that is only one of the points ...

mining this way restricts distribution ... only those willing to go through the headache of the setup will be the ones that can afford to do so ...

the original 'purpose' of the coin was a 'no pools' design ... that broke ...

now its 'pool resistant' ... guess what ... history will repeat itself ...

still all the while restricting the distribution of the coin itself ...

like mentioned earlier - i liked the concept ... but like the original dev - this concept should be forfeited and moved forward to allow a MUCH wider distribution to the crypto community as whole ... not 'just' the spr community ...

its open source - so what makes you think that no will copy THIS coin and make it a more distributable and more viable coin WITH the servicenode concept - except it wont be as restrictive due to the algo chosen ... which means EVERYONE can have a piece of it ... everyone ...

thats all im saying ...

and of course im a lazy bugger - as stated in posts past - and prefer automation rather manual intervention with mining ... Smiley ...

#crysx

coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:21:11 PM

Once rewards are shared with service nodes, we will have to think about mining and possibly making it much easier.

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:27:10 PM

.its open source - so what makes you think that no will copy THIS coin and make it a more distributable and more viable coin WITH the servicenode concept - except it wont be as restrictive due to the algo chosen ... which means EVERYONE can have a piece of it ... everyone ...

There is no service node concept without the competency to design, develop and execute a good overall offer.

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 02:59:45 PM

.its open source - so what makes you think that no will copy THIS coin and make it a more distributable and more viable coin WITH the servicenode concept - except it wont be as restrictive due to the algo chosen ... which means EVERYONE can have a piece of it ... everyone ...

There is no service node concept without the competency to design, develop and execute a good overall offer.

aaand ... we are the only ones that can - and are willing - to do it ...

hmmm ...

if there is longevity in the coin - in the community - in the team ... then i honestly believe it will come more from simplicity than complexity ...

this is no more than my own musings afterall ...

i would like to see spr succeed in all that the plans lay out ...

we will be watching ... as we are already invested ...

and mining heavily once again - if it gets easier Wink .. hehehe ...

#crysx

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:14:20 PM

hmmm ...

Please show me any project with a similar road map and joined up approach.
chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 03:29:39 PM

hmmm ...

Please show me any project with a similar road map and joined up approach.

and ill show you many that will copy cat it WHEN its released ... it always happens ...

im not arguing any point here except that a roadmap is nothing more than a plan ...

plans fade - are not followed through - followed through - or changed ...

its never about what CAN be coins101 - its always about what IS ... i know - like many others here - i have been here from the start too ...

spr is concrete proof of roadmaps that change and are not adhered to ... in the absolute ...

this is what makes this all the better ... change ... malleability ... flexibility ... the openness to adapt ... as well as adapting ...

ive seen too many come and go ... too many roadmaps - too many devs - ( ultimately ) too many coins ... mostly due to their inflexibility TO change ...

some of the largest networks and coins and blockchains are destined to change ... why is it so hard to see spr change ... change for a larger market - a larger distribution - a more stable existence with the backing of some of the 'larger' systems / farms / pools ...

why does that spell centralization to everyone? ... the CORE of the coin and its existence is DECENTRALIZED ...

so - why not open it to the masses ...

the servicenodes idea ( note - idea ) is a pipedream until it BECOMES the crack you sell to everyone ...

let it be available to everyone that wants to get into it - not just for those that can solo it - or buy it ...

you think vhs or bluray are better than beta or hd-dvd? ...

they had the right marketing tools to make sure that EVERYONE got their hands on vhs and bluray ...

anyway - bed time for me ... too late here at the moment ...

if there is a simpler way to mine spr - we will be in it ... no matter if we are the largest or the smallest farm on the planet ...

#crysx

coins101
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:15:27 PM

im not arguing any point here except that a roadmap is nothing more than a plan ...

plans fade - are not followed through - followed through - or changed ...

its never about what CAN be coins101 - its always about what IS ... i know - like many others here - i have been here from the start too ...

We've been here since February. Thinking through options, planning, preparing, doing.

There is a fine line between constructive criticism, which anyone and everyone should welcome, and skeptical pessimism that puts people off.

"I don't think your plans on xyz are good enough, perhaps you should do abc."  Constructive.

"All I hear is plans and no action." Pessimism.

The fine line is this.

A bank run can start with 3 people in a queue outside a bank. A little pessimism can turn into a self fulfilling prophecy.

I don't mean to purposefully antagonize, but sometimes people get to a point where those working hard in the background start to believe in the negativity, and think to themselves, why should I bother?.  Those who watch and don't post, will be the same.

I'm having this discussion on another project with the main dev who is wondering why he should bother.

Mr.Spread himself is likely to have had enough of the fud and just walked away.

Mr. Spread went from July to Feb when servicenode testing round 2 started. He is likely to have been planning things for a few months before that. We are still early into the take-over and the preparations for a new directions.

Don't get me wrong, I value your contributions. For example, we have been actively discussing changing the mining approach to make things easier.
jjjordan

Activity: 271
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:54:34 PM

My understanding is there are two types of "crypto-guys" (mining-wise):

1. Miners - profit driven individuals (short or long term)
Miners like to be able to automate mining process.
Switching coins/pools/algorithms/rentals should be done as easy as possible.
Like a shortcut combination would be ideal. If scripting (like MinerControl) is not possible...

Miners don't care about master/service nodes. In terms of what functionality, usability,
coin advantage over other alts, etc that is. Miners care about m/s nodes only if they could raise the profit.

2. Users - that includes believers and regular crypto users
They are driven by the same functionality, usability, coin advantage over other alts, etc that miners
don't give *** about. It could be a Greek conglomerate that turns his assets in crypto, a hipster hitchhiker,
a teenager that experiments crypto, a developer, or somebody using file sharing alt coin services, etc.
That also includes the usual mining - a machine or two or more at home (dedicated or not),
but it's not even close to consuming tens of MWh every month.

Users don't care how mining is done (pools/solo/ASICs whatever). They want convenience, service, usability.
That includes vanity generator, mobile apps, useful services etc.

Of course nothing is black and white and there's a lot of between.
But in my opinion these two types of "crypto-guys" follow very "reverse Gaussian distribution":

Obviously Inverse Gaussian Distribution is different, so I decided to go with "reverse"

So if you are discussing how/what/when to implement/develop/use you are a user.
If you are whining about how to mine easier - you are a miner. Not that this is bad.
Personally I think mining should not be optimized to be "easier", but rather decentralized.
Which it is already. Pool "proofness"/resistance/inconvenience is not a drawback!
And miners will come naturally after there is a rising number of users.

I am writing all this being currently strongly in the Miners camp - I am now multipool mining to BTC.
Also bag holding at least 5-6 alt coins. But that was not about me. SPR should be developed for
usability and not mining. Miners will come later. Wolf will write a better miner. SP_ too...
jch9678

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 07:29:32 PM

Good post jjjordan.  Coins101, stonehedge, and crysx, you guys bring up good points and I like this discussion but I want to share my thoughts. 

The thing that attracted me to this coin was the no pools characteristic.  As much as I don't want to admit it, crysx is right, that is gone now.  I think the ANN page needs to reflect that this coin is pool resistant and list ocminer's pool.  I don't think that's a big deal, it really doesn't change the direction this coin has now taken.  A pool exists, therefore it is not "No Pools" as it states.  The price isn't going to move and we aren't going to lose any contributor because we change that.  Being pool resistant is a good thing, it seems like it's a pain to setup. 

Crysx, at this point in time there is nothing wrong with spreadx11 mining (even if it's inefficient, it's the same for everybody).  It's rather a problem you are having.  Just as Just2laff said anybody with any size farm can mine this coin.  It's the way you guys are implementing the miner is the problem.  Your machines are capable of mining spr just fine.

But notice I said "at this point in time".  I think crysx is right about making a change at some point.  With spreadx11 being pool resistant most people will solo mine.  When (and if) service nodes are implemented and the price rises, spr will attract attention but the only people that will be able to mine will be the farms, like crysx's.  The casual miner or one that has 1-5 cards will not be able to grab any blocks.  They will need to join a pool to get in on the action.  If we don't change anything we risk all the blocks ending up in the hands of large farms, not decentralized at all. 

Switching to x11 is one way to get this done as crysx suggested (or someone did).  I don't think there is a rush to do this.  If we switch to x11 now, we risk spr being added to autoconverting multipools and getting lost in that mess of ordinary coins when service nodes are not implemented yet.  If this is the way we go I say we wait until after service nodes are implemented.  It's kind of analogous to btc mining moving from cpu->gpu->fpga->asic to help secure the bigger and bigger network.  As we grow, our network of miners can grow by switching to an algo that is friendly to pool mining.  That being said I'd like us to figure out some kind of mechanism to prevent spr being added to autoconverting multipools.  (Ironically I use those pools sometimes but I don't think they are good for a coin's health) 

After rereading this maybe spreadx11 is still the way to go as long as it's autoconverting multipool resistant.  Ocminer just needs to show how he accomplished this so other pools open up.  He may have already, I don't know. And now we can change the Title and ANN page to read 'Zero Multipools'   I like that.

Crysx, I don't how you can write so much all the time, my brain is mush now....

BTC: 15GqpmqNNJ1REWrDWTfymh7moos1sEvz7A
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 328 »
  Print  

Jump to: