Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:19:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382131 times)
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
June 23, 2019, 02:32:50 AM

@paramind22 sia is PoW

and when functional, data storage farming

Will that reward people?  I must be confusing SIA with another coin that isn't POS but not POW which I thought was rewarding
holders for the last couple of years. 

Siacoin is earned by renting out your unused hard drive space. You can also mine it using your hard drive.  It doesn't stake and you cant earn more simply by having some.

The catch is getting used and/or new HD's to rent out such space does not count. Not prudent or feasible or practical at all. The amount of space to make anything on siacoin storage

would require you to have an existing data hall and just do this for kicks. In that you already own the hardware and using it for data storage anyway, so why not use the unused space. It

seems that may be more trouble than it is worth at this time in the sia-tech storage universe for even that to be worthwhile.

I've said it before. Much talk of this storage option but very little in the real world, to justify such equipment purchases either used HD's or new HD's to make this feasible at this time.

But a lot more real-world $$$ can be made in the ASIC miner money making by sia-tech (what is it the 7th batch now?). To top that off, even the last of the ASIC miner batches

they are making are for GRIN coin and not siacoin. You add the other leg to the stool that is overbuilt that is the coin itself. Likely, IMHO, for the amount of work done.

The last leg of this 3 legged stool is the siacoin that is out in the world, much more difficult and much more coin than the siacoin storage network could justify even if it was up in full.

Lots of issues. Couple years behind Timeline. The emphasis on making equipment vs promoting the storage aspect of siacoin. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the coin is not 1/5th the

price it is currently. Not looking good IMHO. Not at all. They need to step it up so AT LEAST a hobbyist can make a sia-tech storage HD system out of used or new parts and play with

it and at LEAST make enough money for electricity in (you pay) for storage payments (to your) in (siacoin storage pays). Without that to move things along it looks like to me, full

stagnation for the storage option..the 'supposed' crown jewel of decentralized, everyone, anonymous cloud storage for everyone.

Naw, at the present time, I"m not buying the hype. They are going sideways on this project at best and likely backsliding big time without our full awareness.

my two siacoin of wisdom on this

Brad

I haven't checked out the network adoption statistics recently, do you still lose money on the renting out space aspect? Are they just not marketing towards growing the customer base? I thought it was weird when they went into ASICs and thought, that will really distract from their main goal of growing the number of people storing files on it.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
June 23, 2019, 04:26:25 AM

@paramind22 sia is PoW

Will that reward people?  I must be confusing SIA with another coin that isn't POS but not POW which I thought was rewarding

Siacoin is earned by renting out your unused hard drive space. You can also mine it using your hard drive.  It doesn't stake and you cant earn more simply by having some.

The catch is getting used and/or new HD's to rent out such space does not count. Not prudent or feasible or practical at all. The amount of space to make anything on siacoin storage

would require you to have an existing data hall and just do this for kicks. In that you already own the hardware and using it for data storage anyway, so why not use the unused space. It

seems that may be more trouble than it is worth at this time in the sia-tech storage universe for even that to be worthwhile.

I've said it before. Much talk of this storage option but very little in the real world, to justify such equipment purchases either used HD's or new HD's to make this feasible at this time.

But a lot more real-world $$$ can be made in the ASIC miner money making by sia-tech (what is it the 7th batch now?). To top that off, even the last of the ASIC miner batches

they are making are for GRIN coin and not siacoin. You add the other leg to the stool that is overbuilt that is the coin itself. Likely, IMHO, for the amount of work done.

The last leg of this 3 legged stool is the siacoin that is out in the world, much more difficult and much more coin than the siacoin storage network could justify even if it was up in full.

Lots of issues. Couple years behind Timeline. The emphasis on making equipment vs promoting the storage aspect of siacoin. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the coin is not 1/5th the

price it is currently. Not looking good IMHO. Not at all. They need to step it up so AT LEAST a hobbyist can make a sia-tech storage HD system out of used or new parts and play with

it and at LEAST make enough money for electricity in (you pay) for storage payments (to your) in (siacoin storage pays). Without that to move things along it looks like to me, full

stagnation for the storage option..the 'supposed' crown jewel of decentralized, everyone, anonymous cloud storage for everyone.

Naw, at the present time, I"m not buying the hype. They are going sideways on this project at best and likely backsliding big time without our full awareness.

Brad

I haven't checked out the network adoption statistics recently, do you still lose money on the renting out space aspect? Are they just not marketing towards growing the customer base? I thought it was weird when they went into ASICs and thought, that will really distract from their main goal of growing the number of people storing files on it.

I'd really, really, really like to be proven wrong on all this siacoin and sia-tech drama of 1 part coin 1 part equip and 1 part storage. But as far as I know (please, please

someone prove me completely wrong) you simply can't get even within miles of making any money on a sia storage box 'toy, even if your only goal is to put electric in

and hope siacoin comes out at more or less the same return. So, IF there was even a 20% loss of electric in for siacoin out on such a box, even if made with 'used' HD's

off the cuff. There would be, IMHO, at least more than a few folks doing such for giggles to promote this coin and vision. But it is just 'deafening' silence on this whole

part of their project and talk of how they got some corp data farm to do this stuff or something. The boat as it exists doesn't float. No hype, no storage demos, nothing.

Again, someone with a box put up some numbers on what you get even NOT including equipment costs....just frigging electric in (something that is built exists) vs storage

payment out..would be a start.

Anyway, would as usual like to be proven wrong on this, but not seeing it.

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
paramind22

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2019, 06:22:00 PM

It seems the percentage of "earning" is wrong if it takes that much free storage to earn SIA.  Staking coins have many different percentages, several start at 900% or more and go down over time.  If there is no incentive, maybe they need to release a new version where there will be one. 

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
June 23, 2019, 07:48:45 PM

It seems the percentage of "earning" is wrong if it takes that much free storage to earn SIA.  Staking coins have many different percentages, several start at 900% or more and go down over time.  If there is no incentive, maybe they need to release a new version where there will be one. 

I'm pretty sure all their 'discretionary' funds for such an endeavor are already tied up in unsold sia-tech miners, paying the devs and such their yearly income, and of course

the shooting over to the GRIN protocol for mining as well as a large bet, IMHO, of their profits (as such) from the sia-tech equipment sales. I mean they 'leaped' on GRIN with

'oil based miners' for crying out loud. I see no corresponding investment in the sia-storage option and/or development and or entrapranueal risks. Indeed, they have stated in the past

that the price of siacoin does not matter, in that it will simply be the means to use/compensate for their sia-tech anonymous and decentralized storage vision.

So again, IMHO, they are tapped out. The equip ASIC's they have in play 'better sell' or the whole endeavor for decentralized storage vision is gonna go 'poof' IMHO.

Again, wish someone had some hard numbers on building a sia-tech storage box. Even a small one with 'used' equipment, just to get an idea of how far off the mark they

are in their vision.

As an aside, did they EVER even sell the MINERBOX from last year? Do they even sell 'pre-built' units like that...that make any sense ROI wise? Or even less than ROI by a bit

just for experimentation. For all the 'emphasis' on their vision, I sure don't hear a lot about any of this.

But some hard and fast data on any box for storage that someone tried or has out in the real world ..well it would be nice to do some math on such.

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
farsky

Activity: 2114
Merit: 757

NO WAR ! Glory to Ukraine !

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 11:45:43 AM

Are there any other competitors for sia at this point? I remember that there was one or two others, but cant remember their names.
I consider Storj the best competitor. I really like them. Although I constantly criticize them for their slow development, very small payments (beggarly) payments to farmers and the complete lack of anonymity.
Sia for me is a very sad coin. They are very revealing crap when offended at the fact that Bitmain did ASICs before the Sia developers.

Rus fascists: Goran_, mp3.Maniac, Xommy, ivan1975, lovesmayfamilis, Excimer, leonello, Snork1979, be.open, K210, Azrieli.
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 01:58:17 PM

Are there any other competitors for sia at this point? I remember that there was one or two others, but cant remember their names.
I consider Storj the best competitor. I really like them. Although I constantly criticize them for their slow development, very small payments (beggarly) payments to farmers and the complete lack of anonymity.
Sia for me is a very sad coin. They are very revealing crap when offended at the fact that Bitmain did ASICs before the Sia developers.

some SIA devs moved to BTI fyi ===>

https://freiexchange.com/market/BTI/BTC

Cool

weeeee

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
gembitziyn

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2019, 12:58:29 AM

some SIA devs moved to BTI fyi ===>

https://freiexchange.com/market/BTI/BTC

Cool

weeeee

We have whales inkoming & new exchanges confirmed ~ stay tuned :-D weeeeeee

gembitz pump group .. keep calm  Wink lol

OCCUPY GEMBITZ

DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 02:16:00 AM

That's what it was called, storj. I still get emails from them from time to time, it just never seems like their developement ever moves forward at all.

kaicrypzen

Activity: 1344
Merit: 656

View Profile
June 29, 2019, 05:09:22 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2019, 03:38:13 PM by kaicrypzen

That's what it was called, storj. I still get emails from them from time to time, it just never seems like their developement ever moves forward at all.

There is also madesafe which has maidsafecoin, lost track of that project a coupla years ago, don't know how it evolved. I also read in Neo's roadmap, that they will be creating NeoFS sometime in 2020 that will serve as a distributed storage platform.

DebitMe
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2019, 06:05:25 PM

Thanks for the headsup, I still think this technology is the future and will be huge someday, it's just which coin is poised to do it.

There is also madesafe who has maidsafecoin, lost track of that project a coupla years ago, don't know how it evolved. I also read in Neo's roadmap, that they will be creating NeoFS sometime in 2020 that will serve as a distributed storage platform.

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2019, 06:08:49 PM

@paramind22 sia is PoW

Brad

I'd really, really, really like to be proven wrong on all this siacoin and sia-tech drama...

It's a good thing Sia crushed Amazon before the coin collapsed  Cheesy

This shitcoin was actually worth $900 million in May 2018... now $165 million or down 82% in USD, lol...
It's still trading $500,000/day on Binance... so someone must be buying... ya man, looks really cheap  Cheesy
cygan
Legendary

Activity: 3150
Merit: 7739

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2019, 01:42:41 PM

some few good news from the SC devs:

https://twitter.com/SiaTechHQ/status/1146544777787322373

Excited to announce Sia v1.4.1. The Sia team has been working hard to improve the state of the art, and our latest version is unquestionably the best decentralized data storage product built to date.

https://twitter.com/SiaTechHQ/status/1146544781801205761

For the first time ever, it is possible to backup files stored to Sia and recover them - using just the wallet seed!

.HUGE.
▄██████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████▌██▌▐██▐██▐████▄███
████▐██▐████▌██▌██▌██▌██
█████▀███▀███▀▐██▐██▐█████

▀█████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████████▀

▀█████████████████▀

▀██████████▀▀
█▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
CASINSPORTSBOOK
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄█
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
July 05, 2019, 02:30:16 AM

@paramind22 sia is PoW

Brad

I'd really, really, really like to be proven wrong on all this siacoin and sia-tech drama...

This shitcoin was actually worth $900 million in May 2018... now $165 million or down 82% in USD, lol...
It's still trading $500,000/day on Binance... so someone must be buying... ya man, looks really cheap  Cheesy

Yeah, I kinda scratch my head....I mean I got in on the ICO when I was hurting on most of it. I bought some at 8-9 bucks (silly me) so Siacoin needs to be about

$1.91 for me to break even in usd. Thus, conflicted. I just don't see the storage option keeping up, now especially with mining equip (switched to grin) and just

the plain old 'speculation'. Indeed Siacoin may be worth a lot less, when the ASIC miner stuff goes away by Sia-Tech. But again, see little progress in the storage

solution they claim to want to push. In no way does it pay to get even used equipment to make an experimental box for such.

Thus I sit on hands and ponder this?

By the By it has been since Jan 31st, 2019 since Sia-Tech promised to pay me back $900 bucks in Bitcoin to the address I specified to them. Ya think maybe they are

stalling?

Again, stuff to ponder?

Brad

zerkalisz

Activity: 349
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 06:02:24 AM

Sia Announces $3.25M Seed Round to Accelerate Development of the Sia Decentralized Cloud Storage Platform
https://sia.tech/funding2019
gembitz

Activity: 1834
Merit: 639

*Brute force will solve any Bitcoin problem*

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 09:52:48 PM

Sia Announces $3.25M Seed Round to Accelerate Development of the Sia Decentralized Cloud Storage Platform
https://sia.tech/funding2019

cannabis seeds? Smiley weee

©2021*MY POSTS ARE STRICTLY FOR NOVELTY AND/OR PRESERVATION/COLLECTING PURPOSES ONLY!*It should not be regarded as investment/trading advice.*advocate to promote sharing and free software for the bitcoin community* #EFF #FSF #XTZ ===> START WITH NOTHING AND BUILD IT INTO SOMETHING!
gartmah

Activity: 735
Merit: 17

View Profile
July 17, 2019, 09:59:00 AM

Siasync
Siasync is a new utility that will monitor a folder and synchronize its contents to the Sia network. As new files are created or removed it will keep Sia in sync with the local source folder. Siasync also supports more advanced features like only syncing certain file extensions, or excluding certain file extensions, or archive mode which won’t delete files from Sia even if they are deleted locally. Best of all, it works on Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

https://medium.com/@tbenz9/introducing-siasync-27452e90682f
invisiblefriend321

Activity: 174
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 02:09:39 AM

@paramind22 sia is PoW

Brad

Yeah, I kinda scratch my head....I mean I got in on the ICO when I was hurting on most of it. I bought some at 8-9 bucks (silly me) so Siacoin needs to be about

$1.91 for me to break even in usd. Thus, conflicted. I just don't see the storage option keeping up, now especially with mining equip (switched to grin) and just

the plain old 'speculation'. Indeed Siacoin may be worth a lot less, when the ASIC miner stuff goes away by Sia-Tech. But again, see little progress in the storage

solution they claim to want to push. In no way does it pay to get even used equipment to make an experimental box for such.

Thus I sit on hands and ponder this?

By the By it has been since Jan 31st, 2019 since Sia-Tech promised to pay me back $900 bucks in Bitcoin to the address I specified to them. Ya think maybe they are

stalling?

Again, stuff to ponder?

Brad

in same boat brad !

i feel very much the same --

i held on from about 1 usd till now -- lost a lot -

i mined for a while ... accumulating...

but I'm not sure of the vision any longer --

its not worth being the weak hands now ---     not much to gain .. .

so ill hold a drop longer --

we will see
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 07:47:34 AM

in same boat brad !

i feel very much the same --

i held on from about 1 usd till now -- lost a lot -

i mined for a while ... accumulating...

but I'm not sure of the vision any longer --

its not worth being the weak hands now ---     not much to gain .. .

so ill hold a drop longer --

we will see

Sia coin ATH was about 9 cents, so if you paid 1 USD somewhere, you got scammed
sonnykaran

Activity: 68

View Profile
July 21, 2019, 01:21:27 AM

is there a bootstrap for sia coin?

thank you
ronald2010

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 21, 2019, 12:07:01 PM

I just install the new wallet and get not all my payments ?
I miss the transaction between 15th jun till 21th juli ?
The last time i open my wallet was the 15th jun so till now the payments are not show ?

Pages: « 1 ... 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 [483] 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: