Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:59:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The function of religion ?  (Read 18598 times)
CoinCube
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 08:24:04 AM

I shared my thoughts on the function of religion in another thread in my empiric argument for religion. Here are my thoughts.

Empiric Argument for Religion

1) Belief in God is logical in that the belief is internally consistent and cannot be falsified. This conclusion can be derived in numerous ways one of which is via the application of incompleteness theorem.
See: The #1 Mathematical Discovery of the 20th Century

2) All knowledge ultimately traces back to assumed axioms. Without knowledge, scientific enquiry including empiric enquiry is meaningless and we can’t analyse the world around us.

3) Our fundamental metaphysical first axioms are therefore a critical step in the formation of a sound empirical model of the universe and our place within it.
See: Metaphysical Attitudes

4) Human progress and civilization requires the growth of knowledge and is ultimately cooperation dependent. Our first premises and axioms directly impact the degree of cooperation that the system can support.
See: Superrationality and the Infinite

5) Competing first axioms such as nihilism may grant "freedom" to do whatever you want but for humanity as a whole this is an illusion and such axioms reduce overall freedom.
See: Freedom and God

6) Thus the first axiom of God is not only largely responsible for the progress we have made so far it in all is likely necessary for continued progress.
See: Religion and Progress
and
See: Faith and Future

7) Finally and least important accepting the first axiom of God appears to be correlated with good health.  
See: Health and Religion

8 ) For these reasons accepting the first axiom of God is a superior choice for the empiricist then accepting the first axiom of nihilism or refusing to define ones metaphysics.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
readygoaw

Activity: 476
Merit: 105

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 07:53:49 PM

I think any of the existing religions help people to calm down and come to terms with reality. Religious people also take death like some usual event, they are less angry with people.
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 08:10:02 PM

I think any of the existing religions help people to calm down and come to terms with reality. Religious people also take death like some usual event, they are less angry with people.
The main importance of religion is really to help Man to find inner peace and with inner peace, they are able to live in harmony with themselves as well as people in society. Religion in that sense is to help promote peace.
Astargath

Activity: 1624
Merit: 645

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 08:43:43 PM

Religion had a purpose long ago now it's just a waste of money. A bunch of pedophiles and delusional people. It's totally useless and we don't need it, I'm pretty sure we would be better without it.

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀          ▀▀▀█████▄
   ████▀      █████▄▄       ▀████
  ████        ██   ▀██        ████
 ████         ██    ██         ████
▐███▌         ██▄▄▄██▀         ▐███▌
▐███▌         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▐███▌
▐███▌         ████████         ▐███▌
 ████            ██            ████
  ████           ██           ████
   ████▄         ██         ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄▄          ▄▄▄█████▀
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
........NEWS, UPDATES, & ICO'S........
...FROM ALL THE PROJECTS YOU LOVE...
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
christabits

Activity: 169
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 09:16:52 PM

there are so many functions of religion
1 Religion provides mental peace:
Human life is uncertain. He struggles for his survival amidst the uncertainties, insecurities and dangers, Some-times he feels helplessness. It is the religion which consoles and encourages him in all such time of crisis. Religion gives right shelter to him. He gets mental peace and emotional support. It encourages him to face his life and problems.
2. It inculcates social virtues:
Religion promotes the major social virtues like truth, honesty, non-violence, service, love, discipline etc. A follower of the religions internalizes these virtues and becomes disciplined citizen of the society
topse

Activity: 208
Merit: 100

DocTailor ICO:

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:24:24 AM

believe in God or not is a choice of each person, but if you ask the function of religion, here is my opinion.
Religion is one of the principles of belief that every human being must have to trust God in their lives. Not only that, individually the religion is to guide human life in wading through their daily life. However, when viewed from a group or society, how do we understand the religion in the life of the community? According to Prof. Dr. H. Jalaluddin in his book Psychology of Religion helps us understand some of the functions of religion in society, among others:

Juridical religious teaching (law) serves as an Education that tells or invites and forbids that must be obeyed so that the individual adherents to be good and right, and accustomed to the good and right according to the teachings of their respective religions.

Wherever humans are, he always wants himself safe. The salvation given by religion includes the life of the world and the hereafter.

▬▬ • • •  DOCTailor    Unique self-customizing smart legal contract platform  • • • ▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Bounty  Whitepaper  ▬▬  Slack  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Linkedin   ▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌  Click for PRE-SALE  ▬▬▬  ICO: Mar 31st   ▐▐
gerbo

Activity: 167

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:44:19 AM

Sebagai sumber pedoman hidup dan keyakinan bagi individu maupun kelompok yang mengatur tata cara hubungan manusia dengan tuhan dan manusia dengan tuhan
ttbd

Activity: 84

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:09:43 AM

Religion is a cultural universal because it fulfills several basic functions within human societies. It is a basic requirement of group life. In sociological terms, these include both manifest and latent functions. Among the manifest (open and stated) functions of religion are included defining the spiritual world and giving meaning to the divine.Religion provides an explanation for events that seem difficult to understand. By contrast, latent functions or religion are unintended, covert, or hidden. Functionalists suggest that religion is a requirement for society and individual both because it serves both manifest and latent functions
The_prodigy

Activity: 924
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:22:24 AM

I'm an atheist and have the following standpoint:

- All religions are hoaxes, making people belive in non-existing gods.

Religions serve the following purposes:

1. Making people have some comfort in their lives, having something else than themselves to pray to and look up to. This is mostly culturrally dependent,
most people adhere to the religion were they grew up, and what was ingrained in them from early childhood.

2. To keep uneducated people in control.

3. To keep power and control in a central position.

If religion was all about love to your God, and it was all a mental thing, there would be no need for churches, and all accessories that goes with a religion.

It's sad that a God-fearing man goes regularily to church to get closer to his maker. He could've been just as close to his God in his couch at home.

Many religious entities collect money, and are rather greedy, there are internal battles about power and control, just think of the Vatican.

I think it's rather sad that in 2012, so many people put their belief in something that doesn't exist. You may pray, and you may feel that your prayers were heard,
and things turn for the better in your life, but most of the time, the prayers are futile, and the only one that can change anything in your life is yourself.

States need to separate themselves from religion, and any religious society needs to take care of itself. Many religious societies does serve a good purpose in their
municipality, and there's nothing wrong with that,  and I do respect anyone that has their faith, but I don't think there's any God of any sorts, and people need to take
responsibility for their own lives.

Will the earth ever come to a point where people are so educated that they understand that science is the only true answer, and that everything else is fairytales ?

As much as I respect any Christian or any devoted religious person from any other religion (I may think his belief is a joke, but I would never say it to his face to force a confrontation in disrespect), I don't think any religions should have any special protection under the law.

Part of the problem is that Religion is so ingrained into the culture of most countries, that many people don't even question it.

Education will put the power in the hands of the people to learn about the world around them, and will remove the power of the leaders of their religion over them.

As an atheist, I don't think your religion defines whether you're a good person or not, that's more down to the person itself, and the values you've been taught in your upbringing, and what you've learned through your education.

Now, with the recent uproar about the 'Innocence of Muslims'-movie, people shouldn't get upset about it. If they don't like it, they should simply ignore it, and don't speak of it. Killing people, making riots etc. and claim that it's because of this movie, this is not right. People are always responsible for what they do.

If I were a Christian, and someone mocked my religion and called me a religious fool, and I got angry and burned down their house, that would be completely unacceptable by me, and I would need to take the full penalty for it.

Some people say we should not provoke 'islam' through cartoons, movies etc. And this may seem like the easy way out. But what if we continously bombarded Islam with this material, would they keep rioting every day of the week, every week, every month and every year, or would they finally sit down and say to themselves: "I'm tired of fighting, I can be a good muslim, no matter what any people say about my religion".

Islam doesn't receive more goodwill by having it's followers react like this, I would think most sivilized people just seeing this for what it is; outright crimes. Also I think a lot of the people that we see rioting in the streets, are only using this movie as an excuse for acting like they do.

Is there a single other Religion in the world were the members would've reacted like this over a movie ?

What do you all think ?

I disagree for me I think that the function of religion is to provide people with common ground a purpose. Religion is not hhe building or the place or the name it is a group of people with the same beliefs who are united in one purpose and clarity
KKaruchis

Activity: 99

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 03:24:00 AM

Obey their creators, folow their rules, mass control.
Astargath

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 10:54:26 AM

1. Making people have some comfort in their lives, having something else than themselves to pray to and look up to. This is mostly culturrally dependent,
most people adhere to the religion were they grew up, and what was ingrained in them from early childhood.

If religion was all about love to your God, and it was all a mental thing, there would be no need for churches, and all accessories that goes with a religion.

It's sad that a God-fearing man goes regularily to church to get closer to his maker. He could've been just as close to his God in his couch at home.

Many religious entities collect money, and are rather greedy, there are internal battles about power and control, just think of the Vatican.

I think it's rather sad that in 2012, so many people put their belief in something that doesn't exist. You may pray, and you may feel that your prayers were heard,
and things turn for the better in your life, but most of the time, the prayers are futile, and the only one that can change anything in your life is yourself.

States need to separate themselves from religion, and any religious society needs to take care of itself. Many religious societies does serve a good purpose in their
municipality, and there's nothing wrong with that,  and I do respect anyone that has their faith, but I don't think there's any God of any sorts, and people need to take

Will the earth ever come to a point where people are so educated that they understand that science is the only true answer, and that everything else is fairytales ?

As much as I respect any Christian or any devoted religious person from any other religion (I may think his belief is a joke, but I would never say it to his face to force a confrontation in disrespect), I don't think any religions should have any special protection under the law.

Part of the problem is that Religion is so ingrained into the culture of most countries, that many people don't even question it.

Education will put the power in the hands of the people to learn about the world around them, and will remove the power of the leaders of their religion over them.

As an atheist, I don't think your religion defines whether you're a good person or not, that's more down to the person itself, and the values you've been taught in your upbringing, and what you've learned through your education.

Now, with the recent uproar about the 'Innocence of Muslims'-movie, people shouldn't get upset about it. If they don't like it, they should simply ignore it, and don't speak of it. Killing people, making riots etc. and claim that it's because of this movie, this is not right. People are always responsible for what they do.

If I were a Christian, and someone mocked my religion and called me a religious fool, and I got angry and burned down their house, that would be completely unacceptable by me, and I would need to take the full penalty for it.

Some people say we should not provoke 'islam' through cartoons, movies etc. And this may seem like the easy way out. But what if we continously bombarded Islam with this material, would they keep rioting every day of the week, every week, every month and every year, or would they finally sit down and say to themselves: "I'm tired of fighting, I can be a good muslim, no matter what any people say about my religion".

Islam doesn't receive more goodwill by having it's followers react like this, I would think most sivilized people just seeing this for what it is; outright crimes. Also I think a lot of the people that we see rioting in the streets, are only using this movie as an excuse for acting like they do.

Is there a single other Religion in the world were the members would've reacted like this over a movie ?

What do you all think ?

I disagree for me I think that the function of religion is to provide people with common ground a purpose. Religion is not hhe building or the place or the name it is a group of people with the same beliefs who are united in one purpose and clarity

No it's not. It was simply invented because people didn't have answers for many different phenomena and they had to come up with something. It's as simple as that.

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
Snub

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:28:20 PM

The true religion can be intended to create people a common goal and principles of life...but at the moment in my opinion there is no true religion...there are no correct interpretations of the scriptures, there are no qualified priests (they are few and hard to find), therefore now religion is needed only for the management and manipulation of people
Sexie

Activity: 420

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:40:12 PM
Last edit: December 04, 2017, 10:22:30 PM by Sexie

The function of religion is to correct wrong doings and follow righteousness.

center]EMPIREHOTELS  (EMPC) The Future of Hospitality
--------  WhitepaperTwitter Telegram ?   Instagram ?  [DO NOT POST SESC LINKS]Bitcointalk Thread [/url]    -------  Join our ICO :  feb. 10.2019- March.31.2019 [/center]
shinchan123

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 12:52:32 PM

Honestly, I think religion is more of a guideline on how to live a fruitful and peaceful life in this world. It is the concept that teaches us whether if we're doing bad or good in this world. Just imagine if there was no religion, then people can never tell if what they are doing is right or wrong. The only problem now, is that there are too many religion which the beliefs are contradicting.
Astargath

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 02:16:01 PM

Honestly, I think religion is more of a guideline on how to live a fruitful and peaceful life in this world. It is the concept that teaches us whether if we're doing bad or good in this world. Just imagine if there was no religion, then people can never tell if what they are doing is right or wrong. The only problem now, is that there are too many religion which the beliefs are contradicting.

The bible has a manual on how to enslave people. I don't see that as a peaceful guideline. It also promotes rape, murder and many more things that we consider evil today. It's not a good book.

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
kostevm

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 07:43:34 PM

I think, religion makes the moral side of our personalities and enrich our mental world. It is a union ideology which can stitch together peoples. With the help of religion human beings live in a harmony with nature and themselves.
moanamakeway

Activity: 112

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:00:45 PM

When someone believes something stupid (alien anal probes, bigfoot, communism as viable economic policy), you should at most point and laugh, but at the least explain to them why their beliefs are misguided, ridiculous, and stupid. Why should religion be exempt???

People are just afraid to die.  They don't want to be insignificant things in the universe so they have hope for some believe that they are not insignificant.

Will you laugh at a mother who says about her dead child, "My baby is in heaven now"?
*snaps finger three times*
True right there.
Religion makes an existence of a person more meaningful. Yes, our personality has something to do with our upbringing, but religion also has something to do with it, it hones us to be much more better version of ourselves.
bluered

Activity: 176

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 09:54:26 PM

Why do you help others then?
i help others because it is written in the holy scripture  love one one another, serving your neighbor is like serving God because all the things that we did to our neighbor we did it to God. and it is also written that love God more than you love yourself. And the purpose of our existence in this worl
d is to know God, to love God, and to be with Him in heaven.

●    D A F Z O    ●   A DECENTRALIZED GLOBAL P2P LOGISTICS PLATFORM   ●    D A F Z O    ●
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   CONTRIBUTE in PRIVATE SALE OFFERING 50% BONUS   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TelegramFacebookTwitterWhitePaperANNOnePagerYoutubeMediumLinkedIn
Peeter_Cash

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:20:49 PM

Religion is a social glue for certain segments of the population
spongegar

Activity: 476

View Profile
December 04, 2017, 11:31:32 PM

What do you all think ?

My two cents on this is that you may think that religion if fake. But to others it's as real as it could be. There aren't any scientific proof of such but that is where faith comes in. It gives people hope and an actual purpose to go out of bed and live their lives for their creator. Next one, people will have different views and reactions to a stimuli. We also have mob mentality. But the thing is, religion isn't at fault here. It's actually the people who reacted. In essence, religion is all about peace and living with others in harmony

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬ |  𝗘𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝘂𝗺 𝗖𝗹𝗮𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗰 𝗩𝗶𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻    ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬  ▬
▬▬ ▬▬ ▬▬ Hard fork Ethereum  ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬  11.1.19  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  ANN  ▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬ All Ethereum holders will receive 3 ETCV ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬  Telegram  ▬▬▬▬▬  Twitter  ▬▬▬▬  White Paper  ▬▬▬ ▬▬
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 »
  Print  

Jump to: