Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:05:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 127560 times)
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 11:49:45 PM

The Andresen Foundation for Bitcoin Development

I kinda like this one, lol seriously!

Yeah me too.

Nice one

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 12:05:31 AM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 12:10:20 AM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin

What personal info do I need to provide to make that happen?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:13:29 AM

+1

That's the kind of name one might say "Why didn't anyone think of that before?".
Like 44 pages ago.
Polvos

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:13:46 AM

Yeah, that name is a good one

EDIT: Now all claim here: Hackers, please, stop the DDOS attack because the Foundation team have to change their web tittle. LOL

hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:16:45 AM

If you guys were all members of the foundation...we could all vote and make this change  Grin

I know you meant this purely humorously but on a serious note I could never join an organization which it's core properties betray my core principles I try to live by. It's the same reason why I don't vote when small gangs of thugs commonly referred to as governments hold their charade elections.

But I'll join the second those properties are removed because I do see a lot of possible good that it can do.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:19:08 AM

EDIT: Now all claim here: Hackers, please, stop the DDOS attack because the Foundation team have to change their web tittle. LOL

Same here.
Polvos

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:24:03 AM

Same here.

Dude, I was trying to be sarcastic. The name is only one and not the worst of the problems i see in the Foundation. I, in no way, am going to support or participate in this lobbystic, centralized, honeypot foundation.

Look, I found another good name : "THE lobbystic, centralized and honeypot Bitcoin foundation"

Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:33:42 AM

Website is down, I think?
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 01:46:11 AM

Website is down, I think?

Think so:
http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/Bitcoinfoundation.org

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
JeromeS

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:40:48 AM

OK, I only read the first 10 pages and all the good stuff has already been said, but I want to add a few things.

For the last month I have been trying to learn as much as possible about the bitcoin protocol and tools like bitcoind, trying to see different ways to automate payments and stuff for a small project I'm working on.

and more than once I notice a glaringly obvious and very simple feature that should've been in bitcoind but isn't there, and I immediately think that the only explanation for this must be that there is a very small number of developers working on it with no competing projects and/or enough control over the userbase that they don't have to worry about it, and that they just decided they don't want to add it (I hope the reason is something benign like laziness, busy-ness, or incompetence, I'm not paying them so I don't really have the right to demand anything)

Now, I'm still new here, but when one of the developers (sole/lead developer?) announces a project to "standardize" things without giving any further explanation, I don't see that as a good thing. I think the only kind of standardization I can expect from that project is "the users don't need / shouldn't be able to do that, throw it out".

Also, adding someone as a founding member of an organization they didn't found is ridiculous and a cheap way to gain legitimacy, especially when you know that person won't reappear just to say no thanks.

"You can't kill an idea, but you can corrupt it."
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:18:11 PM

Quote from: BitcoinFoundation.org
To promote transparency and enforce fair voting procedures, we require a real name and address for Individual members. We will eventually include address and name verification procedures. Please note that member dues paid to records that do not include a real name and mailable address will not be refunded. Thank you!
Why address?

Prevention of double voting can be accomplished using name ID only. There is no need for the foundation to have my home address.

Passports and many national ID cards do not have address on them, so you would need to obtain utility bills for proof of address creating an unnecessary paperwork burden.

I would be happy to verify my name using passport but I will not be supplying my home address. I hope the Foundation could reconsider removing the address requirement from individual membership.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:22:59 PM

To promote transparency and enforce fair voting procedures, we require a real name and address for Individual members. We will eventually include address and name verification procedures. Please note that member dues paid to records that do not include a real name and mailable address will not be refunded. Thank you!
Why address?

Prevention of double voting can be accomplished using name ID only. There is no need for the foundation to have my home address.

Passports and many national ID cards do not have address on them, so you would need to obtain utility bills for proof of address creating an unnecessary paperwork burden.

I would be happy to verify my name using passport but I will not be supplying my home address. I hope the Foundation could reconsider removing the address requirement from individual membership.

If we are ever going to be accepted by the mainstream establishment, we need to conform with the regulations governing it. It is time Bitcoin grew up and started playing by the rules.

In the meantime, we will be making sure the long-arm of government can reach our Bitcoin donations and donations everywhere. For tax and legal purposes. We need to cooperate with authorities if we are going anywhere. Bitcoin will have to be a complementary currency to what is already legitimately out there.

The Bitcoin Foundation: Bringing Social Responsibility and Governance to Bitcoin

Sponsored by The Federal Reserve Bank
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 12:49:33 PM

Why address?

This is actually concerning.
Why would the foundation need anything else than my PGP signature confirmed with my Forum account ?

I am never registering as a member then.

What about all the people who contribute to Bitcoin project but would like to stay anonymous ?

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:03:27 PM

Prevention of double voting can be accomplished using name ID only.
It is perfectly legal in some States, including every member of the United States (per US Constitution), to have multiple legal names, and in some cases multiple IDs for each of those. Using an address to overcome this, however, may not be the best solution, since many people have multiple homes.

hazek
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:08:35 PM

Prevention of double voting can be accomplished using name ID only.
It is perfectly legal in some States, including every member of the United States (per US Constitution), to have multiple legal names, and in some cases multiple IDs for each of those. Using an address to overcome this, however, may not be the best solution, since many people have multiple homes.

Photos associated with each member checked by facial recognition software for multiple entry is the best and most anonymous way of solving the double voting problem. This way all a member has to give up is his photo, no name, no address, no nothing, and they can't sing up twice.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Polvos

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 01:44:46 PM

Why address?

Didn't you ever hear the standard answer for your question?

"For your own security"

DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:01:42 PM

If someone submits two membership applications with different names, then both IDs will still have the same Date of Birth and photo. The foundation can easily prevent double voting by checking any matching DoB to make sure the photos are not the same person.

Using home address as the second unique identifier is not required. Nor is it a good way of identifying people. There are many cases of people being wrongfully arrested because they shared an address with someone else.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:19:09 PM

Why address?

It would be very unwise to hand over your home address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/atfs-latest-gun-grab/

This is dangerous and foolhardy.

Yeah, it's like giving FED/CIA/FBI/MAFIAA all data necessary to imprison all dissidents on a plate (in case they would declare Bitcoin illegal). I do not like this.

This actually works like a honeypot. I wouldn't be surprised if, in case of data leakage (which is quite probable), FBI automatically wiretapped all people on the list...

Shouldn't there be an option of confirming one's Identity in-person ? For example by meeting one of "core members" in a public place ?

This is totally a serious issue, jokes & trolling aside.

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:42:49 PM

Why address?

It would be very unwise to hand over your home address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/atfs-latest-gun-grab/

This is dangerous and foolhardy.

Yeah, it's like giving FED/CIA/FBI/MAFIAA all data necessary to imprison all dissidents on a plate (in case they would declare Bitcoin illegal). I do not like this.

This actually works like a honeypot. I wouldn't be surprised if, in case of data leakage (which is quite probable), FBI automatically wiretapped all people on the list...

Shouldn't there be an option of confirming one's Identity in-person ? For example by meeting one of "core members" in a public place ?

This is totally a serious issue, jokes & trolling aside.

Sometimes, reading this forum makes me believe the stupidity that there are actually two sides to choose from, and that I should be working for the CIA, FBI, and the BTF.

This forum is a honeypot, and should remain a honeypot, for paranoid narcissists, instant experts, know-it-all pundits, wannabe criminals, and delusional losers.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 »
  Print  

Jump to: