Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:20:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136745 times)
drbarber

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 09:03:22 AM

Wow lot of replies, good discussions going on & thanks for those who replied to my post last page, good comments.

Just curious, what's the point of having to wait a week for staking to work?

Also, someone talked about having multiple wallets to stake or burn, how is that a more efficient process?

Yes, because you avoid many small transactions. I have three wallets on one PC. One for burnt coins, one for stake, and one for mining. You should consider that SLM is old coin with big block chain as well.

To make separate wallets:

Run several SLM clients on the same machine.
- Make where you want the new folder named Slimcoin (or how you wish)
- Copy inside Slimcoin folder slimcoin-qt.exe
- Inside Slimcoin folder make the new folder named Data which will contain full blockchain. In slimcoin.conf rpcport has to be changed for each wallet (for example 41685 or 41686, ....)
- Start client with the .bat (edit bat file: slimcoin-qt.exe -datadir=data). bat file has to be in the Slimcoin folder

Awesome info but unfortunately I'm on OSX... not sure how to go about the bat file stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 09:42:03 AM

Awesome info but unfortunately I'm on OSX... not sure how to go about the bat file stuff.

You need a separate config file for each separate running instance of the client, each instructing the client to use a different port/rpcport binding ...

Two basic ways to achieve this on OSX:

1. use the GUI via a 3rd party app such as Lingon (which I use on the ancient TiBook that has been “put out to grass” for managing our SMTP/exim installation), the task here is to assign the appropriate slimcoin.conf to the launched instance.

2. use the shell via Terminal.app. Copy the basic slimcoin.conf to slimcoin_client_1.conf, slimcoin_client_2.conf, editing each to change the port/rpcport assignments to numbers (above 1024) of your choice (e.g. 55555/55556, 55557/55558).

/Applications/SLIMCoin.app/Contents/MacOS/slimcoind -datadir="/Users/drbarber/Library/Application Support/SLIMCoin/" -conf="slimcoin_client_1.conf"

/Applications/SLIMCoin.app/Contents/MacOS/slimcoind -datadir="/Users/drbarber/Library/Application Support/SLIMCoin/" -conf="slimcoin_client_2.conf"

This approach has the disadvantage that the clients are not started automatically on bootup. For this, Apple themselves recommend launchd

The less inspiring news is that there is no slimcoind included in the Slimcoin OSX dmg - because I haven't yet got round to updating the OSX-specific build script that I have been using to create the OSX Slimcoin dmg.

HTH

Graham
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 10:39:47 AM

Nice price evolution, Slimcoin's market cap (if we take the ask or "last" price of 1990 satoshis) has hit a new high of ~880.000 USD, almost a million! However, I am a little bit worried if this pump "to the million" doesn't come a little bit too early.

Since there's not much trading volume it's inevitable I think. If one wants to buy some Slim he just have to buy what's for sale and there's not much. With 1 btc the price would go x2 again. Looks like long time holders know real value of this coin and won't sell at this price. And I tend to agree with them. $1M market cap is still ridiculous. I don't expect much coins for sale at least until 0.0001 BTC. That's probably when people would be ready to sell some coins after months or years of holding. 

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 10:41:21 AM

As Jennifer disarmingly cautions, “Here comes the science” ...

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/49/19761.abstract
Standard economic and evolutionary models assume that humans are fundamentally selfish. On this view, any acts of prosociality—such as cooperation, giving, and other forms of altruism—result from covert attempts to avoid social injunctions against selfishness. However, even in the absence of social pressure, individuals routinely forego personal gain to share resources with others. Such anomalous giving cannot be accounted for by standard models of social behavior. Recent observations have suggested that, instead, prosocial behavior may reflect an intrinsic value placed on social ideals such as equity and charity. Here, we show that, consistent with this alternative account, making equitable interpersonal decisions engaged neural structures involved in computing subjective value, even when doing so required foregoing material resources. By contrast, making inequitable decisions produced activity in the anterior insula, a region linked to the experience of subjective disutility. Moreover, inequity-related insula response predicted individuals’ unwillingness to make inequitable choices. Together, these data suggest that prosocial behavior is not simply a response to external pressure, but instead represents an intrinsic, and intrinsically social, class of reward.

Hard enough for ya? Economic incentives are fundamentally misaligned with a reward that is “intrinsic, and intrinsically social”, i.e. won't work the way the maths says it will because, well, people are inherently social and therefore attempting to impose a canonical description is profoundly mistaken.

Representation and Understanding Studies in Cognitive Science 1975, Pages 83–102

Reflections on the formal description of behavior

Joseph D. Becker

This chapter focuses on the origins and interconnections of some of the concepts that are generally useful in describing the behavior of animals and machines. These concepts are—hierarchical organization of processes, branch points, information, spheres of influence, goals, resource conflicts, condition conflicts, temporal organization, executive bookkeeping, executive decision-making, and statistical information. It discusses that these concepts must be viewed as descriptive artifices rather than as mechanisms by which the observed behavior is brought about. The chapter also presents the problem of turning this set of concepts into a full-scale mathematics of behavioral systems, finding that this may be impossible owing to the lack of any generally applicable criteria for delimiting what a behavior is. There is no straightforward, absolute, canonical, or true description of a behavioral system; all behavioral descriptions are relative to a particular set of questions they are intended to answer.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780121085506500082

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:19:43 AM

There is no straightforward, absolute, canonical, or true description of a behavioral system; all behavioral descriptions are relative to a particular set of questions they are intended to answer.

Cheers

Graham

Everything is subjective. Or, as Buddhism postulates, everything is dependent arising. It is based on something else, which is derived from something else, which is derived from something else and so on...

In this context, the "hodl" phenomenon is based on previous experiences with similar contexts. People won't sell their coins because, previously, there has been consistent reporting of economical appreciation of similar tokens, given you "hodl" to them enough time.

There's no intrinsic value of Bitcoin or Slimcoin, it's all arising within our own context.
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 11:26:27 AM

More science:

http://www.abrmr.com/myfile/conference_proceedings/Con_Pro_89443/iacd4-3-14-7.pdf
5. Discussion
In the management accounting discipline, employees are rewarded financially when they achieve their budget targets. This is particularly the case in individualistic societies due to the high importance attributed to budgets as a critical tool used for performance measurement, evaluation and rewards (Wu 2005). The expectations of rewards for individuals in an individualist society are largely based on an individual’s performance in attaining budgetary targets (Earley 1989; Yee et al. 2008). In contrast, individuals in collectivist-oriented societies are not willing to sacrifice the interests of their group for personal goals (Earley 1993). In this regard, the hypothesis of this study (rewards) was supported.

Why is this relevant? In a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency, individualism is enforced by the cryptography allowing only pseudonymity, thus rendering ineffective the usual group-based social sanctions that mediate relationships between social entities - with the result that individuals can be complete PITAs and there's nothing the group can do about it.

OTOH, collectivism is enforced by the fact that all nodes stand and fall with the network. Acting singly as an individual is ineffective, only concerted, collective action can affect the overall state of the group so it doesn't actually matter that an individual is being a PITA, the network is immune, the group can safely ignore a single outlier, perhaps even a handful.

If, over time, that handful (of, in essence, dissenters to the social consensus) grows to become significant, they will evolve for themselves a separate system better suited to their individual and group objectives (c.f. BCC, ETC). There need be no overall deleterious effect on the parent group, the post-evolution state better suits the members of the parent group because the “troublemakers” now have their own coin, which (some will maintain) is a shitcoin, bound to fail, can't possibly succeed, is already failing, etc.

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:40:54 AM

There need be no overall deleterious effect on the parent group, the post-evolution state better suits the members of the parent group because the “troublemakers” now have their own coin, which (some will maintain) is a shitcoin, bound to fail, can't possibly succeed, is already failing, etc.

Slimcoin is one of those Bitcoin's "sihtcoins" IMHO. And in its own group it does pretty well.

I do see a conundrum, though. The group health is inversely proportional with its size: in Slimcoin, for instance, at this very moment we can safely negotiate whatever we need to do, 'cause we're just a handful of people. Subsequently, the value of the coin is dimes. The only way for the value to grow is for the group itself to grow. At some point, the group health will start to suffer, precisely because of its size... Like Bitcoin "crushed" itself with BCC.

I wonder where the "goldilocks" area for such a group is - or if there is such a "goldilocks" area at all. How many people in the group: 100? 1,000,000? 10,000,000?
gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 12:20:03 PM

Everything is subjective. Or, as Buddhism postulates, everything is dependent arising. It is based on something else, which is derived from something else, which is derived from something else and so on...

In this context, the "hodl" phenomenon is based on previous experiences with similar contexts. People won't sell their coins because, previously, there has been consistent reporting of economical appreciation of similar tokens, given you "hodl" to them enough time.

There's no intrinsic value of Bitcoin or Slimcoin, it's all arising within our own context.

And that's exactly why, as a cognitive psychologist, I'm interested in understanding the cognitive processes that mediate this internal mental construction of “value”.

My stamping ground is the one described by Becker: “concepts generally useful in describing the behavior of animals and machines —hierarchical organization of processes, branch points, information, spheres of influence, goals, resource conflicts, condition conflicts, temporal organization, executive bookkeeping, executive decision-making, and statistical information.”

I'm from the “other side of the tracks”, mathematically speaking. Somewhat like a literary critic on poetry, has some understanding of the rationale for different approaches and, on that limited basis, critique them but can't actually create verse of their own to the required standard. It gives me enough height to see over the fence into economics and draw my own conclusions about a numerical discipline that has recently adopted behaviourist descriptive techniques that were discarded by psychology in the '60s as being too simplistic to be useful. I guess economics is in even more conceptual disarray than is psychology. But that's what you'd expect from what Joe says.

If I have read the runes correctly, there is a limited opportunity to establish a bit of level ground that might escape the full consequences of a collapsing hierarchy. As far as I can work out, tracking back through history to sources I was aware of at the time, a lot of what doesn't seem to make any sense atm is the (predictably) disruptive impact of technology on the human-mediated social structures that enable us as a species to function and this, in turn, has allowed a situation to develop that is now stressing the fundamental limitations of human cognitive ability.

On a lighter note, I've nevertheless found some grounding in just keeping an eye on the numbers ...

WTS:
30m PNut
17m Fuguecoin
20m Roulettecoin
21k Chaincoin

(Hence my recent interest in a Raspberry Pi and in exchanging my 5 year-old Asus i3 1.4GHz for something a little more capable, perhaps an XPS 15, the one with with 4K display, then I can run VMs in HD resolution.)

So I'm a hodler too. Just waitin' for the PNut pump, could be any day now.

Cheers

Graham
cryptovore

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 12:41:13 PM

WTS:
30m PNut
17m Fuguecoin
20m Roulettecoin
21k Chaincoin

Nice hodlings Smiley

(Hence my recent interest in a Raspberry Pi)

Cheers

Graham

I'm a huge fan of Raspis too and, lately, of Odroid. In a rather serendipitous flow of events, I managed to install and run a slim miner on my Odroid XU4 (mind you, the Slimcoin wallet still crashes) and started to mine on the Raspi Slimcoin wallet which I configured as a server. It's nice when you look at those tiny boxes under my TV, each talking to each other, sending hashes, crunching numbers, supporting an invisible web of constant interactions.

As per understanding the concept of "value" (or any other concept, for what matters) I once again resort to Buddhism, which postulates that for each event to be considered existent, you need 3 factors: the observer, the object being observed and the process formed between the observer and the object. Which basically means everything is value, given enough observers are engaging in similar cognitive processes towards the same type of objects.

Try to explain to an 17th century banker how we are all rich because we "have" numbers in machines powered by electricity (Good God!) talking to each other (a blatant case of witchcraft, by the way).
ojeck

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 01:04:09 PM

Is there any new node for version v0.5.0.0-g8e9fe2c-alpha ?

My slimcoin-qt has fully synchronize but i didn't get any connections.
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:25:20 PM

I've got 6 active connections on mac v0.5

ojeck

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:33:28 PM

I've got 6 active connections on mac v0.5

Can you share the node ?
minbosen

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 02:39:20 PM

I have heard the Bitetherium (BTE) is working on the POW mode, and some early miner has tried to burn their ETH for BTE, but the network is not so stable and it is hard for personal users to do that, I do not know if it will happen on this coin.

▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄
            ▄▄██▀▀▀▀▀███████████████████████▄▄
        ▄▄███▀   ▄▄▄   ▀████████████████████████▄▄
     ▄██████  ▄███████▄  ▀██████████████████▀▀▀█████▄
   ▄███████    ███▀▀ ██    ███████████  ███▀  ▄███████▄
  █████████▄  ▄█▀  ▄███    ██████████  ▄██  ▄███████████
 ██████████████▀  ████▀   ▄██▀▀▀████  ▄████▀  ███████████
██████████████▀  ▄███▀   ▄█▀  ▄▄ ██▀ ▄█  ██  █████████████
██████████████   ▀     ▄██▀  ▄█  █▀  █   █▀▄  ▀███████████
█████████████▀  ▄███▄  ▀██   ██ ▄▄▄  █▀ ▄▄▀█▄  ▀▄█████████
█████████████   █████   ▀██▄ ▀▄████▄  ▄███▄▀  ▄███████████
 █████   ▀██▀  ▄█████    █▀▀█████████████████▀███████████