Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:15:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 159 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Slimcoin | First Proof of Burn currency | Decentralized Web  (Read 136737 times)
dzarmush
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 07:13:56 PM

I think those are typos: http://slimco.in/mining-guide/

"followed by other options if you wand.

While the daemon is running, the same commands are available in the terminal like in the GUI client debug window. So you can start mining with the setgenerate true command like in the Debug console."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6006

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 07:56:21 PM

Thanks! The first one was a typo, the second one wasn't very good English. I corrected it.

By the way: Do you want your Russian translations to be included now to the website or do you want first to finish it? This weekend I've some time to merge the texts you already translated.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 08:36:23 PM

Thanks! The first one was a typo, the second one wasn't very good English. I corrected it.

By the way: Do you want your Russian translations to be included now to the website or do you want first to finish it? This weekend I've some time to merge the texts you already translated.

I'll probably finish translation tonight.

nemwanderer

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 09:16:25 PM

Nice price evolution, Slimcoin's market cap (if we take the ask or "last" price of 1990 satoshis) has hit a new high of ~880.000 USD, almost a million! However, I am a little bit worried if this pump "to the million" doesn't come a little bit too early.

Since there's not much trading volume it's inevitable I think. If one wants to buy some Slim he just have to buy what's for sale and there's not much. With 1 btc the price would go x2 again. Looks like long time holders know real value of this coin and won't sell at this price. And I tend to agree with them. $1M market cap is still ridiculous. I don't expect much coins for sale at least until 0.0001 BTC. That's probably when people would be ready to sell some coins after months or years of holding. 

I'm one of those people. So what do you think a fair market cap is?
nemwanderer

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 09:25:40 PM

Nice price evolution, Slimcoin's market cap (if we take the ask or "last" price of 1990 satoshis) has hit a new high of ~880.000 USD, almost a million! However, I am a little bit worried if this pump "to the million" doesn't come a little bit too early.

Since there's not much trading volume it's inevitable I think. If one wants to buy some Slim he just have to buy what's for sale and there's not much. With 1 btc the price would go x2 again. Looks like long time holders know real value of this coin and won't sell at this price. And I tend to agree with them. $1M market cap is still ridiculous. I don't expect much coins for sale at least until 0.0001 BTC. That's probably when people would be ready to sell some coins after months or years of holding. 

It's a unique tech, but what makes it better? I don't understand it too well, I invested awhile ago on the uniqueness alone.
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2017, 10:34:54 PM

I wonder where the "goldilocks" area for such a group is - or if there is such a "goldilocks" area at all. How many people in the group: 100? 1,000,000? 10,000,000?

Hm. It's an interesting question, I agree. It's an issue I'm trying to illuminate for myself.

I distinguish between the technological and the social, e.g. are we talking network size or social group size? If it's maximum number of nodes for the network, then modelling is the only answer, apart from wait-and-see.

Questions of social group size arise in a context. The context here is: this is the first time ever that we've been able to communicate near-instantaneously, directly, arbitrary-person to arbitrary-person privately, arbitrary-person to group of arbitrary-persons. Up until now psych studies of group size have really only testified to the effects of resource availability in the locality and various other real-world mundane constraints on human behaviour. Not a lot of thought has been given to online groups, even less to the likely impact of introducing technology-based support for managing social relationships. We are very definitely in new (social) territory.

We don't even know how to characterise group membership and that will thwart any attempt at enumeration. F'r instance, how would we want to classify a Slimcoin user who only fired up the wallet once a year to collect the PoS reward? Is that a group member? Are people who contribute by promoting the brand but don't run a node not group members? Do those who “stand and wait” not also serve? What about a number of people who club together and run a node between them?

I'm interested in potential answers to the question of what it means to be a member of the Slimcoin peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency group, however it is constituted. This also translates, neatly, to: what are the brand values? One is the other and vice versa.

As regards the construction of value systems, I dunno if you caught the story about the Canadian lass who fed the local crows and in return, they brought her gifts - it offers some fascinating insights. It was reported that there didn't seem to be a detectable pattern.

So the key question has to be: do the objects in this image, delivered as gifts by the crows, act to illuminate the corvids' value system or their mental model of the human value system? (If you read the linked article, the “lens cap” incident suggests that this is perhaps *not* a no-brainer).

The ability to classify is a fundamental feature even of non-sentient cognition, it's hardly a stretch of the imagination to view our readiness to construct value systems as merely the unremarkable exercise of a basic cognitive mechanism.

And, as you observe, it's all about “the observer, the object being observed and the process formed between the observer and the object”.

Yeah, me and the Fuguecoin dev are going to exchange Christmas cards this year.

Cheers

Graham
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 10:40:12 PM

If for one second forget that there's no such thing as fair market cap in crypto I'd compare Slim with some other coins that are unique in one way or another. All of the coins that come to my mind are in top 100. Which means over 7000 BTC at least.

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 10:59:11 PM

Two more typos. Mimick instead of mimic. Twice here and once here.

d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3892
Merit: 6006

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
August 05, 2017, 11:34:20 PM

Done. Are you interested to get write access to the repository? I don't know if you're familiar with Github, but if you want, send me/write me your Github username.

I had the idea to add tip addresses for you and other people that contribute to Slimcoin, the homepage, and the ecosystem in general to the OP of this thread and perhaps also to the Slimcoin webpage. Do the members of the community agree to this idea?

Those that are interested can PM or write me a Slimcoin address where they want to be tipped, I then list the BCT username (and if you want, your full name), your major contributions and the tip address. (A recommendation: if you are PoS staking, then don't use this address).

Maybe this way we can incentive contributions for SLM without any ICO or a complicated "bounty managing" process.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 12:08:02 AM

Done. Are you interested to get write access to the repository? I don't know if you're familiar with Github, but if you want, send me/write me your Github username.

I had the idea to add tip addresses for you and other people that contribute to Slimcoin, the homepage, and the ecosystem in general to the OP of this thread and perhaps also to the Slimcoin webpage. Do the members of the community agree to this idea?

Those that are interested can PM or write me a Slimcoin address where they want to be tipped, I then list the BCT username (and if you want, your full name), your major contributions and the tip address. (A recommendation: if you are PoS staking, then don't use this address).

Maybe this way we can incentive contributions for SLM without any ICO or a complicated "bounty managing" process.

Help section translated files. I didn't translate Anatomy of the Slimcoin Genesis block. Not sure I'll be able to do it properly because of many dev terms I'm not familiar with. So I guess I'm done for now. Gonna spend some more time after publishing, polish translation here and there, fix mistakes if there are any etc.

I'm not familiar with Github, since I'm not a developer. I found how to download the website, that's good enough for me )
No need in tip, glad to help.

cryptovore

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:31:19 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2017, 08:02:21 AM by cryptovore

Thanks for reminding me of the crow story, I remember reading about it a while ago. It's a fascinating story about how arbitrary "value" is. On a less cheery note, the same beans have been exchanged by colonists with amerindians and that didn't bode well for the latter. And that gives at least a partial conclusion: the coherence of the context is fundamental for the weight of the "value". The crow context is way less coherent with a human context than is, obviously, the context of a human... So we first must agree on the main rules, to be able to derive value. I used to think - and I still do - that money is the most common - and powerful - form of agreement. At least between humans.

Not a lot of thought has been given to online groups, even less to the likely impact of introducing technology-based support for managing social relationships. We are very definitely in new (social) territory.

Cheers

Graham

It fascinates me as well. Hence, my intention to formalize this with a token called hubcoin.cash. I've been playing with Tendermint as a blockchain backend and I'm putting together the application logic. Tendermint is written in Go, and Go is similar with Chinese to me, which basically means 1) I don't understand a thing and 2) I'm compelled to learn it. So it may take a while until the MVP is live (the roadmap on the site is already a bit overdue). But hey,  at least I have a white paper Smiley
nemwanderer

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 08:49:00 AM

If for one second forget that there's no such thing as fair market cap in crypto I'd compare Slim with some other coins that are unique in one way or another. All of the coins that come to my mind are in top 100. Which means over 7000 BTC at least.

Would be nice, but this coin needs more visibility and a use case/why PoB is better first.

Also might be nice to have the coinmarketcap link point to the new thread, not the old one.

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2017, 11:17:51 AM

Would be nice, but this coin needs more visibility and a use case/why PoB is better first.

Also might be nice to have the coinmarketcap link point to the new thread, not the old one.

I'm not sure who you think might respond to such statements. This is a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency that was basically abandoned by the original code author several torrid months after it was launched when problems started to emerge and interest waned as the majority of people appeared to conclude that the technology wasn't going to meet their expectations.

The network has subsequently been curated by a small group of interested people who suspected that the verdict might have been premature and, given time and care, the network might yet be placed on a more stable footing (c.f . “hodlers”). It should be evident from the trading history that the group has collectively been relatively unconcerned about supporting exchange trading.

There's a reason for this relaxed attitude to exchange trading but it's difficult to distil from hundreds of pages of posts. Here's my take ...

Pursuing my own agenda, I started privately investigating the Slimcoin code back in mid 2014 and was hosting a node on the open subnet in Sept.

Accentuated difficulties in the January of 2015 prompted me to “de-cloak”, offering the results of my work as a contribution to the group and in the August of 2015, the work was absorbed into the Slimcoin mainstream, albeit with continued problems.

The problems continued and ultimately precipitated a crisis last November, just over ten months ago when the network nearly expired. The daily block production rate sank to 12.5% of the target amount. Fortunately (?) (at last, anyway) I was in a position to contribute my latest effort towards a more robust client along with some confident statements about the codebase.

Possibly simply due the constraint of having no other choice, this latter codebase is the one that some people are now running. It should not be ignored that many Slimcoin users are still using the original codebase, presumably not having experienced the same problems and so are perhaps perceiving a change of codebase as neither necessary nor desirable.

Things seem a bit better now, that's as far as I'm inclined to be drawn on the subject. I'm merely a contributor, an artist-in-temporary-residence if you like.

This is possibly one reason why your model of how an altcoin group should behave doesn't match Slimcoin's. We've been, ahem, “burned” before by network problems and are not anxious to repeat the experience, hence d5000's preference for an extended period of testing to allow the community consensus plenty of time to make up its collective mind.

Cheers

Graham

dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 11:47:19 AM

I'm merely a contributor, an artist-in-temporary-residence if you like.

You're scaring me ) I prefer to think of you as the lead dev. I know there's nothing permanent in this world, but still.

gjhiggins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2017, 12:01:55 PM

You're scaring me ) I prefer to think of you as the lead dev. I know there's nothing permanent in this world, but still.

My mugshot is a decade old now, at 66 I'm a pensioner caring for a disabled partner.

And you're scared.

Cheers

Graham
dzarmush
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 01:04:12 PM

My mugshot is a decade old now, at 66 I'm a pensioner caring for a disabled partner.

And you're scared.

Cheers

Graham

Sounds reliable.

gavrilo77

Activity: 819
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 05:18:20 PM

And you're scared.

Cheers

Graham

Respect!!!
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 06:13:43 PM

I don't know if it's strange for you, but somebody is buying/selling from sometime always 0.1BTC equivalent is SLM. It's a little strange to me, because I'm sure it's for some time now.
cryptovore

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:37:17 PM

It's probably somebody who, encouraged by the development and status of the project, set up a bot and tries to make some liquidity. It's a good thing.
nemwanderer

View Profile
August 06, 2017, 07:55:21 PM

I'm not sure who you think might respond to such statements. This is a peer-to-peer networked cryptocurrency that was basically abandoned by the original code author several torrid months after it was launched when problems started to emerge and interest waned as the majority of people appeared to conclude that the technology wasn't going to meet their expectations.

The network has subsequently been curated by a small group of interested people who suspected that the verdict might have been premature and, given time and care, the network might yet be placed on a more stable footing (c.f . “hodlers”). It should be evident from the trading history that the group has collectively been relatively unconcerned about supporting exchange trading.

There's a reason for this relaxed attitude to exchange trading but it's difficult to distil from hundreds of pages of posts. Here's my take ...

Pursuing my own agenda, I started privately investigating the Slimcoin code back in mid 2014 and was hosting a node on the open subnet in Sept.

Accentuated difficulties in the January of 2015 prompted me to “de-cloak”, offering the results of my work as a contribution to the group and in the August of 2015, the work was absorbed into the Slimcoin mainstream, albeit with continued problems.

The problems continued and ultimately precipitated a crisis last November, just over ten months ago when the network nearly expired. The daily block production rate sank to 12.5% of the target amount. Fortunately (?) (at last, anyway) I was in a position to contribute my latest effort towards a more robust client along with some confident statements about the codebase.

Possibly simply due the constraint of having no other choice, this latter codebase is the one that some people are now running. It should not be ignored that many Slimcoin users are still using the original codebase, presumably not having experienced the same problems and so are perhaps perceiving a change of codebase as neither necessary nor desirable.

Things seem a bit better now, that's as far as I'm inclined to be drawn on the subject. I'm merely a contributor, an artist-in-temporary-residence if you like.

This is possibly one reason why your model of how an altcoin group should behave doesn't match Slimcoin's. We've been, ahem, “burned” before by network problems and are not anxious to repeat the experience, hence d5000's preference for an extended period of testing to allow the community consensus plenty of time to make up its collective mind.

Cheers

Graham

Thank you for your detailed and articulate response to what was frankly an offhand and ill thought-out comment from me.

I haven't the technical skills to contribute to the project, or else I would. But I do think I have a nose for value, and the concept is quite interesting. That and, the community-while it certainly doesn't fit the traditional mold for an alt-coin, I've been impressed and intimidated by many in this thread. I've got a decent-sized position and am going to see what the future brings.

Thanks again.
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 ... 159 »
  Print  

Jump to: