Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:46:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:02:41 PM

Not to specifically call any person out but, have you guys read Satoshi's whitepaper recently?

It's been a few months. I don't consult the writings of Karl Benz when I talk about automobiles either! Shame on me.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:02:54 PM

Does purely peer-to-peer refer to every single user, or just the bitcoin payment network? My reading of that statement is that purely peer to peer refers to the nodes that make up the payment network, not that every end user needs to run a node.

Every end user does not need to run a node. Surely Bitcoin enthusiasts who are willing to spend money on dedicated hardware and top tier home internet should be able to run a full node though, right?

Or is it OK if it requires business level infrastructure and resources to be a fully validating peer on the network?

Fuck that.

Don't be twisting words you as well. It has nothing to do with "enthusiasm" but financial responsibility and sovereignty.

If you are to use Bitcoin as truly a local, peer-to-peer user, there is absolutely no exception but to run a fully validating full node.

You might have your reasons to do so, yes you may choose not to do so. Indeed you don't "need" to run one...unless you care about monetary sovereignty which is where Bitcoin's true value resides.

But by all means go ahead use spv wallets, web "portals" (as in: and...it's gone), and other various Hearnias just make sure it don't come at no cost to me.

I don't need to pay from my own freedom to be free from trusted authority for these "users" inability to stuck sucking from the tit and always ask for a "supporting" hand to move forward.

I think you are misunderstanding what I've said. Let me try to explain.

Every user does not need to run a full node, yet every user who wants to run a full node should be capable of doing so.

Kind of like... every driver does not need to wear a seat belt, but every driver should be capable of wearing one if they want.

This

It's already not the case. Now what? Is bitcoin broken?

brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:03:31 PM

Does purely peer-to-peer refer to every single user, or just the bitcoin payment network? My reading of that statement is that purely peer to peer refers to the nodes that make up the payment network, not that every end user needs to run a node.

Every end user does not need to run a node. Surely Bitcoin enthusiasts who are willing to spend money on dedicated hardware and top tier home internet should be able to run a full node though, right?

Or is it OK if it requires business level infrastructure and resources to be a fully validating peer on the network?

Fuck that.

Don't be twisting words you as well. It has nothing to do with "enthusiasm" but financial responsibility and sovereignty.

If you are to use Bitcoin as truly a local, peer-to-peer user, there is absolutely no exception but to run a fully validating full node.

If this is the only thing you care about bitcoin why don't you go use an altcoin that offers the EXACT same things and let bitcoin SCALES as it supposed to be?

Raising the blocksize is not scaling, for the 1,000,000th fucking time you troll

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:04:59 PM

It's already not the case. Now what? Is bitcoin broken?

We should be working on improving that before having year long arguments about taking the training wheels off.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:06:20 PM

Do you think the internet is centralized because you need to rely on business grade ISP?

Yes.

In fact, until we have a worldwide wireless mesh network in place, Bitcoin is vulnerable to this centralization.

This is overly paranoid. This would be a good thing if we ever get there but it is not a reason to not move forward. If we can't move forward because the fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:07:02 PM

Do you think the internet is centralized because you need to rely on business grade ISP?

Yes.

In fact, until we have a worldwide wireless mesh network in place, Bitcoin is vulnerable to this centralization.

This is overly paranoid. This would be a good thing if we ever get there but it is not a reason to not move forward. If we can't move forward because of fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

Even if it is overly paranoid, let's not move in the opposite direction. Thanks.

Holliday
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:09:20 PM

If we can't move forward because of fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

It seems like the "large blockians" are afraid of starting their own coin from scratch (or even just forking today) and letting it compete with the current state of Bitcoin.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:11:26 PM

A bit of a side note.

Been running a full listening node for about a month without a restart. Used 200+GB of traffic with my unlimited 40Mbit/s connection.

I've been running it with default settings, and about yesterday it's been so horrible that my PC (i5-2320, 12GB) had frozen at times. That's probably due to the recent flood of transactions.

Not quite as bad an experience, but not as good one either.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:11:42 PM

Yes.

This is overly paranoid. This would be a good thing if we ever get there but it is not a reason to not move forward. If we can't move forward because the fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

The unknown?

ISPs every where all over the world are currently censoring internet access to their customers in some shape or form.

The internet grid is owned by major fiat corporations who can easily be pressed into "interfering" with a growing government threat.

While it may not happen in your country, it will in several others. We need to make Bitcoin resilient to these attacks.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:12:27 PM

If we can't move forward because of fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

It seems like the "large blockians" are afraid of starting their own coin from scratch (or even just forking today) and letting it compete with the current state of Bitcoin.

they did  Cheesy

look at thread title, it got #REKT

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:13:00 PM

Not to specifically call any person out but, have you guys read Satoshi's whitepaper recently?

It's been a few months. I don't consult the writings of Karl Benz when I talk about automobiles either! Shame on me.

Well, I wasn't talking about you but it's nice to know you're self-conscious. lol

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:15:12 PM

Yes.

This is overly paranoid. This would be a good thing if we ever get there but it is not a reason to not move forward. If we can't move forward because of fear of the unknown then no one would ever walked on the moon.

Even if it is overly paranoid, let's not move in the opposite direction. Thanks.

Then bitcoin will never get anywhere if it only focus on being overly decentralized. It doesn't adds any utility to the system, won't bring any new participants and does't add any new value proposition. If bitcoin can't scale, then EVERY projects built around it will move to another system, either an altcoin or a fork. Miners will go where the value is because they don't mine for idealogical reasons.

RoadTrain
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:15:38 PM

Yes.

The unknown?

ISPs every where all over the world are currently censoring internet access to their customers in some shape or form.

The internet grid is owned by major fiat corporations who can easily be pressed into "interfering" with a growing government threat.

While it may not happen in your country, it will in several others. We need to make Bitcoin resilient to these attacks.

Exactly. There are a lot of sites blocked where I live, and I have to use Tor at times. Tor is what gives me freedom, so does Bitcoin. Bitcoin is Tor of money (even better!). Having Bitcoin 'decentralized' as modern ISPs is only in my nightmares.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:16:27 PM

Yes.

Then bitcoin will never get anywhere if it only focus on being overly decentralized. It doesn't adds any utility to the system, won't bring any new participants and does't add any new value proposition. If bitcoin can't scale, then EVERY projects built around it will move to another system, either an altcoin or a fork. Miners will go where the value is because they don't mine for idealogical reasons.

please be the first and fork off you clown.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:17:14 PM

Yes.

please be the first and fork off

Don't worry, it's going to happen sooner than you might think.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:19:20 PM

Yes.

Bitcoin is here now and it is already a destructor of worlds.

http://cascadianhacker.com/blog/2015/04/24_bitcoin-needs-no-changes-to-destroy-your-world.html

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:22:58 PM

Yes.

http://cascadianhacker.com/blog/2015/04/24_bitcoin-needs-no-changes-to-destroy-your-world.html

Bitcoin as is doesn't fits the needs of a broad market. Deal with it.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:23:40 PM

Yes.

great cause we don't need broad market of suckers like you.

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:25:22 PM

Yes.

great cause we don't need broad market of suckers like you.

Nope, bitcoin will stay a niche and something else will fill the gap. Too bad it won't be bitcoin as is. Probably an altcoin or even more probably a fork.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:32:06 PM

Lightning Network, Sidechains, other off-(main)-chain solutions.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Pages: « 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: