Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:26:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2015, 06:22:30 PM by VeritasSapere

Alternative implementations  Cheesy
Bitcoin XT - last commit 23rd Oct - https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/commits/master
Bitcoin UL - last commit 11th Sept - https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/commits/master - only changed name from XT to UL

This is clearly a bad joke.
I don't even understand what the XT shills are defending now. Their software is dead. Their leader is gone working for the big banks. The rented hashpower is almost finished.
At least work on the damn thing and resume shouting afterwards  Angry
Incoming:"There is work behind the scenes."; "The lack of free choice is no more"; etc. It was a joke from the begging. You need people with proper technical skills to lead the project.
Just like was said before, for this disagreement only the blocksize can be changed, which is only a few lines of code, in the case of BIP101 this has already been coded by Gavin. Which gives people the freedom of choice by simply applying the patch on top of either Core or XT. Changing more then the blocksize also further unnecessarily complicates things when it comes to this disagreement at least. You also forgot to attack BTCD since they are also now supporting an increased blocksize as well.

https://github.com/btcsuite/btcd

Quote from: davecgh
We are in favor of a block size increase. Obviously we would prefer the community come to a consensus about the mechanism to enable it, but failing that we will most likely provide a flag to enable all parties involved to make a choice about which rule set they want to use. Clearly such a flag, once enabled, would mean changing back to a different incompatible rule set would require redownloading the chain against the active rule set.

We don't believe that we, as developers, should be dictating economic policy. Naturally, when there are technical issues at play, developers are generally better positioned to discuss the technical aspects of such changes so it generally makes sense to carefully consider their input as they will typically have a greater insight into the issues at play versus an average random user, however, when it comes down to it, all stakeholders will have to make the choice that is right for them.

Perhaps of note, we've been in favor of bigger blocks for quite some time. We even wrote a simulation test tool back in Oct of 2014 to stress the limits and even back then, before many of the recent performance enhancements, the results clearly showed it is capable of handling larger blocks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 25, 2015, 09:27:08 PM

Wall St. Veteran: ‘Bitcoin Has Proven That It Cannot Be Controlled or Censored’

https://news.bitcoin.com/tone-vays-reading-bitcoin-charts-educating-masses/

“STABILITY IS ALWAYS GOOD AND MAKES BITCOIN A MUCH MORE USEFUL MEDIUM OF EXCHANGE. THE PRICE REALLY REFLECTS THE CONFIDENCE OF THE ECOSYSTEM, AND I BELIEVE THIS CONFIDENCE WILL QUICKLY RISE ONCE THERE ARE MORE ISSUES WITH THE EUROPEAN BANKS.”

“BITCOIN IS HERE TO STAY, BUT IT NEEDS TO SURVIVE AT LEAST 3 MORE YEARS TO BE TRUSTED BY THE GENERAL PUBLIC.”

“BITCOIN HAS NOW BEEN AROUND FOR 7 YEARS, AND IT HAS PROVEN THAT IT CANNOT BE CONTROLLED OR CENSORED.”

BC: What is your opinion on the block size debate?

- I think fungibility in Bitcoin is a much more important issue. I would rather see small increases in block size when it’s absolutely necessary in order to instantly achieve consensus. I would also not want to see anything else in the code change other than the block size increase. Also, people need to understand that increasing the blocksize is not a solution to the scaling problem. We need some kind of a sidechain in order to handle microtransactions. I do not think it should even be attempted on the chain.

nailed it.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2015, 10:57:32 PM

Alternative implementations  Cheesy
Bitcoin XT - last commit 23rd Oct - https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/commits/master
Bitcoin UL - last commit 11th Sept - https://github.com/BitcoinUnlimited/BitcoinUnlimited/commits/master - only changed name from XT to UL

I don't even understand what the XT shills are defending now. Their software is dead. Their leader is gone working for the big banks. The rented hashpower is almost finished.

At least work on the damn thing and resume shouting afterwards  Angry

Don't worry, Gavin might take over XT...but he doesn't want to!    Grin

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/gavin-andresen-i-might-take-over-lead-of-bitcoin-xt-1448486445

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
gmaxwell
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2015, 12:56:38 AM

That's supposed to tell us what exactly? That under the most optimal technical environment "the network" can substain large blocks?
I'm shocked  Shocked
Actually, no, they've been having huge problems with it; with nodes crashing all over the place and such. Of course: Bitcoin Core nodes on testnet are unaffected: They're just ignoring the XT chain entirely, banning those peers, and continuing on as if they didn't exist.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 01:47:06 AM
Last edit: November 26, 2015, 04:18:23 AM by knight22

Don't worry, Gavin might take over XT...but he doesn't want to!    Grin

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/gavin-andresen-i-might-take-over-lead-of-bitcoin-xt-1448486445

In comparison to Core devs that want too much  Roll Eyes

That says a lot.

lolgato

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 01:57:56 AM

This is big news but xt I'm not sure about it Undecided
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2015, 03:33:10 AM

That's supposed to tell us what exactly? That under the most optimal technical environment "the network" can substain large blocks?
I'm shocked  Shocked
Actually, no, they've been having huge problems with it; with nodes crashing all over the place and such. Of course: Bitcoin Core nodes on testnet are unaffected: They're just ignoring the XT chain entirely, banning those peers, and continuing on as if they didn't exist.

Would it be potentially informative to give the relevant testnet's coins some tiny notional value, in order to see what happens in terms of economics (IE Gavincoin Short) in the event of a Great Testnet Schism?

Or would that run afoul of Szabo's warnings about the limits of simulations and lead to a 'small-world fallacy' GIGO situation?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
valiz

Activity: 471
Merit: 250

BTC trader

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 08:53:33 AM

Just like was said before, for this disagreement only the blocksize can be changed, which is only a few lines of code, in the case of BIP101 this has already been coded by Gavin. Which gives people the freedom of choice by simply applying the patch on top of either Core or XT. Changing more then the blocksize also further unnecessarily complicates things when it comes to this disagreement at least. You also forgot to attack BTCD since they are also now supporting an increased blocksize as well.

Whatever, I don't see no BIP101 or increased blocksize in that BTCD. It doesn't matter what they talk, the code matters.

Of course, if you have the skills, you can apply that patch and build the code yourself, or you can use unmaintained XT software. Beware, at some point the patch won't apply cleanly anymore.

You lost badly. Just admit it.  Smiley

12c3DnfNrfgnnJ3RovFpaCDGDeS6LMkfTN "who lives by QE dies by QE"
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 11:44:07 AM

what is the problem of simply forking core to 2mb then 4 mb then 8mb when needed each time we saturate, let's say +90%

i don't a problem of multiple fork spread in a long time frame, you need one click to run a new upgrade of core, not a big deal, i missing something about the real issue of many hard fork?
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 12:20:39 PM

what is the problem of simply forking core to 2mb then 4 mb then 8mb when needed each time we saturate, let's say +90%

i don't a problem of multiple fork spread in a long time frame, you need one click to run a new upgrade of core, not a big deal, i missing something about the real issue of many hard fork?

I think that the problem everyone sees with this is that we would have this unnecessary and long debate every time a new increase had to be decided, just like we are having last 6 months. And quite honestly, they are probably right!
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 02:53:34 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2015, 03:10:52 PM by hdbuck

I think that the problem everyone sees with this is that we would have this unnecessary and long debate every time a new increase had to be decided, just like we are having last 6 months. And quite honestly, they are probably right!

there is no debate. Roll Eyes
only code matter.
VeritasSapere

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:44:24 PM

Don't worry, Gavin might take over XT...but he doesn't want to!    Grin

In comparison to Core devs that want too much  Roll Eyes

That says a lot.
Great leaders do not desire power. He gave up his leadership position in Core out of principle only to have Core turn against him to disallow the changes he wanted to implement. That he does not want to lead XT is good sign, he must be one of the greatest and rarest type of leaders like Cincinatius, who was a roman dictator who also freely laid down his power, this should be considered admirable.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:45:27 PM

Great leaders do not desire power. He gave up his leadership position in Core out of principle only to have Core turn against him to disallow the changes he wanted to implement. That he does not want to lead XT is good sign, he must be one of the greatest and rarest type of leaders like Cincinatius, who was a roman dictator who also freely laid down his power, this should be considered admirable.

Why are you bringing Satoshi into this?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
VeritasSapere

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:48:59 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2015, 04:18:17 PM by VeritasSapere

You lost badly. Just admit it.
So when you say that I have lost, I personally do not see it as being so adversarial though. The main thing however that I have been advocating for is the freedom of choice. So if I have lost does that mean the freedom of choice has lost? Does that not mean then that we have all lost?
VeritasSapere

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:51:34 PM

Why are you bringing Satoshi into this?
It is true that Gavin gave up his position just like Satoshi did, which begs the question. If Satoshi left because he did not believe there should be centralized control of development then why should we accept centralized control by Core now under different leadership?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:54:52 PM

So when you say that I have lost, I personally do not see it as being so adversarial though. The main thing however that I have been advocating for is the freedom of choice. So if I have lost does that mean the freedom of choice has lost? Does that not mean then that we have all lost?

What, because we all got the answer wrong? (according to your version of reality)

No-one that isn't either ignorant to the logical implications of competing consensus rules, or isn't just plain shilling, agrees that competing rules in a rules driven system is a good idea. Yet again, if your idea for a cryptocurrency is so good, try doing it without hijacking the bitcoin mining network to do so.

Vires in numeris
VeritasSapere

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 03:57:27 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2015, 04:44:03 PM by VeritasSapere

I'm shocked  Shocked
If hypothetically more then seventy five percent of the miners supported BIP101 after January. Would Core recognize the will of the economic majority and implement BIP101? If you would implement BIP101 under such conditions you will have my full support. However if you intend to ignore the economic majority and still attempt to push your own agenda while circumventing and undermining the proof of work consensus then I will accuse Core of tyranny and totalitarianism. Which one is it Greg Maxwell, can you answer this question?
valiz

BTC trader

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 04:52:58 PM

What freedom of choice  Cheesy , you're clearly advocating for XT and huge blocks. So, if I get it correctly, if I am supporting freedom of choice then I should support XT, right? If I'm not supporting XT, then I'm a totalitarian.  Huh

Because Bitcoin survived this social attack, we have all won  Grin

Except you perhaps...

VeritasSapere

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 04:54:53 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2015, 05:12:21 PM by VeritasSapere

What freedom of choice  Cheesy , you're clearly advocating for XT and huge blocks. So, if I get it correctly, if I am supporting freedom of choice then I should support XT, right? If I'm not supporting XT, then I'm a totalitarian.  Huh

Because Bitcoin survived this social attack, we have all won  Grin

Except you perhaps...
I support multiple implementations of the Bitcoin protocol for people to choose from, regardless of their content, this is what gives people the freedom of choice. Only having one choice in an election is the equivalent of totalitarianism after all.
valiz

BTC trader

View Profile
November 26, 2015, 05:04:03 PM

What freedom of choice  Cheesy , you're clearly advocating for XT and huge blocks. So, if I get it correctly, if I am supporting freedom of choice then I should support XT, right? If I'm not supporting XT, then I'm a totalitarian.  Huh

Because Bitcoin survived this social attack, we have all won  Grin

Except you perhaps...
I support multiple implementations of the Bitcoin protocol, regardless of their content, this is what gives people the freedom of choice. Only having one choice in an election is the equivalent of totalitarianism after all.
You don't need to do that. Bitcoin Core is a free and open source software. Even if it's developers would be tyrants seeking to destroy anyone who would not use their software, you would be free to fork it, thus creating another implementation of the Bitcoin protocol. This is guaranteed by it's licensing. You can read that.

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright (c) 2009-2015 The Bitcoin Core developers

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software
, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

[...]

You are actually supporting XT and huge blocks. You are among the last standing supporters. Even knight appears to run out of time for this.

Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: