Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:16:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378926 times)
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 07:15:34 PM

No, there is no consensus. On which planet do you live?

Consensus of ideas? Who cares -- we will never achieve that. Consensus of the protocol? We already have consensus -- after all, there is only one blockchain.

There is only one valid law in my municipality. But there is no consensus.
Nuclear communities (Dunbar's Number) only are consensus driven. Societies are always majority driven, since the birth of the tragedy: the birth of the society.

The Bitcoiners are going to totally destroy your society and your "laws"

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=470593.0
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 08:15:48 PM
Last edit: September 10, 2015, 09:00:28 PM by brg444

another round of.....

#REKT

Peter R: this is what you get with a lack of peer review, enjoy your broken "implementations"

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 10, 2015, 11:52:36 PM

[img - https://i.imgur.com/AyuQhfn.png [/img

another round of.....

#REKT

Peter R: this is what you get with a lack of peer review, enjoy your broken "implementations"

This smacks of the 'voting' fiasco which was so exploitable that it hit little old me within moments.  They are making it to easy...and that makes me uneasy.

If I had Conformal's 'bctd' implementation in my back pocket and wished to switch to it, I might be inclined to make a lot of 'mistakes' in XT then blame the (very real) messiness of the Satoshi-based core.

People should consider what they are going to do if, say, Coinbase and various trinket vendors adopt the 'new' XT.  And, concurrently, established financial players (e.g., Paypal) suddenly see a green light and choose the 'appropriate' fork.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen.  I am saying that if I had my hands on certain levers and a desire to achieve a certain favorable result for TPTB, this is how I might proceed.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 12:40:29 AM

another round of.....

#REKT

This smacks of the 'voting' fiasco which was so exploitable that it hit little old me within moments.  They are making it to easy...and that makes me uneasy.

If I had Conformal's 'bctd' implementation in my back pocket and wished to switch to it, I might be inclined to make a lot of 'mistakes' in XT then blame the (very real) messiness of the Satoshi-based core.

People should consider what they are going to do if, say, Coinbase and various trinket vendors adopt the 'new' XT.  And, concurrently, established financial players (e.g., Paypal) suddenly see a green light and choose the 'appropriate' fork.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen.  I am saying that if I had my hands on certain levers and a desire to achieve a certain favorable result for TPTB, this is how I might proceed.

At some point something like that will happen if Core doesn't scale properly.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 02:36:29 AM

another round of.....

#REKT

Core will begin scaling by first getting rid of spam and making more efficient use of the existing space on the block chain.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:35:11 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2015, 09:39:01 AM by hdbuck

another round of.....

#REKT

This smacks of the 'voting' fiasco which was so exploitable that it hit little old me within moments.  They are making it to easy...and that makes me uneasy.

People should consider what they are going to do if, say, Coinbase and various trinket vendors adopt the 'new' XT.  And, concurrently, established financial players (e.g., Paypal) suddenly see a green light and choose the 'appropriate' fork.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen.  I am saying that if I had my hands on certain levers and a desire to achieve a certain favorable result for TPTB, this is how I might proceed.

Core will begin scaling by first getting rid of spam and making more efficient use of the existing space on the block chain.

hellyea ^^

The coinwallet greedy-poor-n00bs-spam-attacks just showed that the blockchain is not suitable to do low value high frequency transaction, no matter how big the block size is

Grin
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 06:33:29 AM

another round of.....

#REKT

OUCH!  Glad I'm not the one who has to change Heam's oozy/stinky bandages (once he gets out of the burn ward's oxygen tank).

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
uxgpf

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 08:25:19 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2015, 09:07:23 AM by uxgpf

this is what you get with a lack of peer review, enjoy your broken "implementations"

GitHub is probably better place for peer review and discussing patches than reddit:
https://github.com/bitcoinxt/bitcoinxt/issues/61#issuecomment-139344632

I guess Peter Todd knows that too, but just couldn't resist posting a good propaganda piece on Reddit. Smiley

Anyway the patch works to limit mempool size, so can be enabled during the current "stress test" if needed. There's also some follow up ideas on Bitcoin XT mailing list like picking two random transactions and evicting the lower fee/kB one. In case you have more insight to the issue I'm sure that constructive criticism is appreciated.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 01:27:53 PM

this is what you get with a lack of peer review, enjoy your broken "implementations"

GitHub is probably better place for peer review and discussing patches than reddit:

I guess Peter Todd knows that too, but just couldn't resist posting a good propaganda piece on Reddit. Smiley

Anyway the patch works to limit mempool size, so can be enabled during the current "stress test" if needed. There's also some follow up ideas on Bitcoin XT mailing list like picking two random transactions and evicting the lower fee/kB one. In case you have more insight to the issue I'm sure that constructive criticism is appreciated.

Am I hearing you correctly?  It's okay for Hearn to post a short, generalized summary of an XT patch, but it's wrong for someone else to follow up with important vulnerability details about the patch, and comment on the patch's review process?

If the latter is propaganda, what is the former?

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 04:02:33 PM

so core devs control all the nodes and miners now  Roll Eyes

Core devs control the code that ~85% of the network nodes elect to run.

But we choose to run that code.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 05:11:24 PM

Am I hearing you correctly?  It's okay for Hearn to post a short, generalized summary of an XT patch, but it's wrong for someone else to follow up with important vulnerability details about the patch, and comment on the patch's review process?

If the latter is propaganda, what is the former?

Peter's comments are fine, and it's fine to use that an example of why peer review is good...But irrelevant to the important goal of scaling Bitcoin on the main chain.

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 09:49:38 PM

http://qntra.net/2015/09/qntras-mascot-dixie-visits-consensus-2015/
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 10:00:15 PM

i lol'd really hard.

hdbuck
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:04:12 PM

More seriously..

Bitcoin's value proposition lies in its fixed inflation. No number of dollars meeting the market can increase the supply schedule. Trilema clearly explains:

There's pretty much literally nothing those extra dollars nobody wants can do to increase the Bitcoin supply. It's very, very inelastic, and consequently the only stability point is when equilibrium is reached. Two billion dollars divided by 600`000 Bitcoins comes to three thousand dollars and change per Bitcoin.

Bitcoin is faced with hitting another inelastic limit in its maximum transaction volume. Consumers have come to expect to get what they demand – "the customer is always right". As such consumers have begun to revolt due to them not getting their demand of Bitcoin competing with Visa or as Trilema predicted in 2013:

one of them is that consumers revolt, entrepreneurs intervene, before the end of 2015 there's about a thousand to a million different Bitcoin forks, each with its ten million-ish monetary base worth about a dollar, on global average. The size of the inter-Bitcoins market, the complexity and confusion ensuing makes pretty much everything unmanageable for the "ordinary person". Hedge funds and banks (the ones a little ahead of using Excel) that trade in this murky complexity make a killing and become the principal driver of economic growth worldwide. Not only is the consumer about as screwed as is currently the case, but to everyone's benefit he has just been clearly proven yet again that revolt = being fucked in the ass harder, longer, with a thicker implement with sharper barbs on it. Also conveniently, the thing to revolt at has become much more vague and intangible. On the balance of probabilities this would seem the most likely outcome, strictly because history unerringly flows in that direction which most cruelly rapes the "average person".

Many consumers have exclaimed they will leave Bitcoin to go to an altcoin which suits their "needs" if they don't get their way in Bitcoin being perverted into a system to compete with Visa. What they don't realize is the consequences they will face if they choose this option.

full article: http://qntra.net/2015/09/consumers-begin-revolting-bitcoin-is-not-visa/
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:27:39 PM

i lol'd really hard.

On this thread we spell that "l'dol"

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 10:45:52 PM

More seriously..

Bitcoin's value proposition  [..... more trilema/MP gypsy crap...]

You need to have the IQ of an amoeba to put any value in that shit.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
September 11, 2015, 10:49:40 PM

More seriously..

Bitcoin's value proposition  [..... more trilema/MP gypsy crap...]

You need to have the IQ of an amoeba to put any value in that shit.

I thought you were dead  Shocked

I was happy  Grin

Getting a little more difficult to troll after theymos made sure your sock puppets couldn't share with us your library of gay men enjoying themselves heh  Cheesy

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 11:04:58 PM

Regarding Peter's reply above - he does realise that the tx eviction is only on a particular node - that same transaction will likely remain on all other nodes. So why should it be rebroadcast? Additionally, this is only going to be a factor when the mempool is full - by then the majority of tx's sitting there ( as they didnt pay a fee or not enough) are going to be spam, so the likelihood is that it will be a spam tx that will get evicted.  Legitimate tx's will get processed quickly and are unlikely to ever be in the 'relegation zone'.

On the other hand, Peter's deterministic route means that if your transaction is unlucky enough to be the one to be dropped, then it it is dead on all nodes. Game over for you, unless you spot it ( ha!) and re-submit it. Thats a really lousy solution.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2015, 11:06:14 PM

I thought you were dead  Shocked

I was happy  Grin

Getting a little more difficult to troll after theymos made sure your sock puppets couldn't share with us your library of gay men enjoying themselves heh  Cheesy

Tough shit, Troll.  Grin

erik777

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

Earn with impressio.io

View Profile
September 12, 2015, 02:36:18 AM

nice to see XT nodes drop to

6.99% 6.89% (30 minute later lol)

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/

Confused on how http://xtnodes.com/ is tracking nodes and updating the site.  Its tracking of 1 out of the last 1000 nodes supporting BIP 101 (and 99.9% not) looks correct.  But, how do they still claim that 10.5% of nodes are using XT? 

The nice thing about bitnodes.io is that it isn't configured to look for any specific user string, but rather lists a count of all user strings.  Unlike xtnodes.com, it is updated frequently. 

.▄███     ██████     ███▄
██████   ███████   ██████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
  ██████████████████████
   █████████  ████████
    ██████    ██████
    ███████    ██████
   █████████  █████████
  ██████████████████████
 ██████ ██████████ ██████
██████   ██████   ██████
 ▀███     ██████     ███▀
IMPRESSIO     ▄███████████████▄
     ██             ██
     ▀███████████████▀
           ██ ██
           ██ ██
       ▄▄█████████▄▄ ▄███▄
    ▄███▀▀       ▀▀████ ▀██▄
  ▄██▀   ▄▄█████▄▄   ▀██▄ ██
 ▄██  ▄███  █  █████▄  ██▄█▀
 ██  ███         █████  ██
██  ██████  ███   █████  ██
██  ██████  ▀▀▀  ▄█████  ██
██  ██████  ▄▄▄▄  █████  ██
██  ██████  ████   ████  ██
 ██  ███          ████  ██
 ▀██  ▀███  █  █████▀  ██▀
  ▀██▄   ▀▀█████▀▀   ▄██▀
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: