Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:40:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin XT - Officially #REKT (also goes for BIP101 fraud)  (Read 378923 times)
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:54:07 PM

how old are you srlsy?

Such cool. Much slang.  So few vowels.

why are you still hanging around with us old ph0rkers?  

Different kind of users here. On one side, we have kid slang and meme generator posters like hdbuck and many other no names, and on the other side we have a Peter R, who's getting asked to write overviews for CoinDesk.

http://www.coindesk.com/10-must-read-cryptocurrency-research-papers-from-2015/

haha coindesk.. lmao you fuck-mainstream-wit wannabe.

i sir, pen my article for the only relevant bitcoin news site: http://qntra.net/author/hdbuck/

fucking unbelievable those redditards and their couple satoshis, fork off already would ya?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 04:07:45 PM

It is the miners that create new blocks, that is what counts, nodes simply choose whether to follow the miners or not. Nodes can be spoofed, proof of work can not, this is why it works.
So in other words miners make the ultimate decision? If this is the case, then Bitcoin Unlimited is even worse than I initially thought. Otherwise, elaborate what you mean exactly (since everyone can vote via software and miners create blocks).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
brg444 (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 04:47:30 PM

Yes, there is a simple GUI where you can select several different variables within the client itself. Including max block size generated, max accepted blocksize and block depth. It is able of tracking a fork and once it reaches a particular block depth it can switch over. This all depends on the settings that the user chooses. By default Bitcoin Unlimited will behave exactly like Core until the majority of the hashpower starts to mine larger blocks.
Interesting. What is preventing entities from cheating the system by running thousands of clients with bogus votes?
It is the miners that create new blocks, that is what counts, nodes simply choose whether to follow the miners or not. Nodes can be spoofed, proof of work can not, this is why it works.

*facepalms*

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
VeritasSapere

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 04:51:50 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2015, 05:09:00 PM by VeritasSapere

So in other words miners make the ultimate decision? If this is the case, then Bitcoin Unlimited is even worse than I initially thought. Otherwise, elaborate what you mean exactly (since everyone can vote via software and miners create blocks).
I do not think that the miners having a lot of power in this decision making process is a bad thing, after all they are the only group that have a direct and lasting incentive mechanism acting upon them to do what is best for Bitcoin. Furthermore this would not just be up to the miners, they would still need to move with the economic majority, this is where the negotiation would take place. I also do not see a better alternative then that since otherwise we would still be dependent on alternative implementations and their development teams in order to give us a range of choice. In that case however the power would still lie with the economic majority and the miners so it would not actually in effect be any different in that regard, it just turns what was a representative democracy into a more direct form of democracy in regards to the blocksize. BU is not even about increasing the blocksize, it is about giving everyone the freedom of choice. After all the miners and the economic majority could decrease the blocksize under BU if they deem this to be necessary, BU just takes this power away from the development teams and returns it to where it belongs.

BU can even be configured to mimic the behavior of BIP100, BIP101, BIP102, BIP103 or BIP202. Or it can be setup to behave exactly the same as a Core node as well, the choice is yours, in different words it is up to the free market. Considering all of the possible options of who decides I would argue that this is the best solution.
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:45:01 PM

BU can even be configured to mimic the behavior of BIP100, BIP101, BIP102, BIP103 or BIP202. Or it can be setup to behave exactly the same as a Core node as well, the choice is yours, in different words it is up to the free market. Considering all of the possible options of who decides I would argue that this is the best solution.

It's not. It's up to the miners.

Stop promoting this misleading idea.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:48:05 PM

this is how really works something that known can undrestand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AikLs1P4_PA

every simple person in bitcoin ecosystem is very important. Many say that developers or miners has the power for changes that is not true. In ecosystem like bitcoin everyone must agree for a change and that is the real power of bitcoin because none can control it.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:49:17 PM

Yes, there is a simple GUI where you can select several different variables within the client itself. Including max block size generated, max accepted blocksize and block depth. It is able of tracking a fork and once it reaches a particular block depth it can switch over. This all depends on the settings that the user chooses. By default Bitcoin Unlimited will behave exactly like Core until the majority of the hashpower starts to mine larger blocks.
Interesting. What is preventing entities from cheating the system by running thousands of clients with bogus votes?
It is the miners that *create* [Grin Cheesy] new blocks, that is what counts, nodes simply choose whether to follow the miners or not. [Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy] Nodes can be spoofed, proof of work can not, this is why it works.

*facepalms*

VeritasSapere

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:50:38 PM

Consensus is an emergent property which flows from the will of the economic majority. Proof of work is the best way to measure this consensus. The pools act as proxy for the miners, pools behave in a similar way to representatives within a representative democracy. Then in turn the miners act as a proxy for the economic majority. Since the miners are incentivized to follow the economic majority. In effect the economic majority rules Bitcoin, in other words the market rules Bitcoin. Bitcoin relies on the economic self-interest of the masses to govern consensus.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:54:30 PM

Miners can only decide so long their blocks are smaller than what bulk of the nodes will accept.  Neither miner nor node has final say--the limit emerges from a "bottom up" decentralized process instead. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 05:57:18 PM

We've recently been able to show that weak blocks will not affect the existence of a fee market.  This is describe in detail in my recent "subchains" manuscript (Sections 4 and 5).
That is indeed an interesting paper and looks correct at the first glance.

Thanks!  I was quite excited by the results.

I must note that IBLT looks quite different, so it likely requires another paper Grin

Haha yes it will require another paper.  I haven't figured out how to formalize the scenario with IBLTs yet.  I suspect they will reduce the slope on the "mempool supply curve," but I have a lot more work to do. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 06:01:16 PM

Consensus is an emergent property which flows from the will of the economic majority. Proof of work is the best way to measure this consensus. The pools act as proxy for the miners, pools behave in a similar way to representatives within a representative democracy. Then in turn the miners act as a proxy for the economic majority. Since the miners are incentivized to follow the economic majority. In effect the economic majority rules Bitcoin, in other words the market rules Bitcoin. Bitcoin relies on the economic self-interest of the masses to govern consensus.

Stop repeating your dull one-liners it really makes you sound like a robot. (a not very smart one)

Nodes decide the code they run and if there was consensus amongst these peers that the block size should be increased then it would.

For now, the consensus emerging from the economic majority is that the 1MB limit won't move.

You're free to discuss pipedreams scenarios but they're just that, delusions, and nothing that reflects current reality.

sAt0sHiFanClub

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:22:49 PM

haha coindesk.. lmao you fuck-mainstream-wit wannabe.

Romanian gypsy turds have returned from their circle jerk here

You derps sure gotta derp - you ain't wrong.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:26:52 PM

According to bitco.in no threshold for adoption by miners exists, apparently both users and miners can vote for adoption of the BU client and adoption is market based

Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:33:39 PM

-snip-
For now, the consensus emerging from the economic majority is that the 1MB limit won't move.

You're free to discuss pipedreams scenarios but they're just that, delusions, and nothing that reflects current reality.

You have to admit that Core has a certain sort of inertia. There's a big chunk of operators still plugging along on previous versions of Core. I also haven't seen an alternative that has the level of ongoing support that I'm comfortable with... so far. I really had high hopes for some kind of good will compromise between the opposing forces (ala garzik), bringing us back together with a common purpose... but it appears that is not going to be the case.

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:41:45 PM

-snip-

You have to admit that Core has a certain sort of inertia. There's a big chunk of operators still plugging along on previous versions of Core. I also haven't seen an alternative that has the level of ongoing support that I'm comfortable with... so far. I really had high hopes for some kind of good will compromise between the opposing forces (ala garzik), bringing us back together with a common purpose... but it appears that is not going to be the case.

Irrelevant given that we have SW coming.

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:46:39 PM

Dont be an idiot. Of course we dont. As you are fond of saying - its vaporware.....

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:47:53 PM

Did you gather any opinions from miners asking them how they feel about creeping towards 1.75 MB equivalent sometime in 2017 with a soft fork that leaves all non-latest-Core-software nodes not validating transactions?
brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:50:13 PM

Dont be an idiot. Of course we dont. As you are fond of saying - its vaporware.....

it's actually all in code, waiting to get on testnet by end of the month and to be merged soon enough  Smiley

sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:56:48 PM

it's actually all in code, waiting to get on testnet by end of the month and to be merged soon enough  Smiley

So your new altcoin is ready to go then?  Ha! Ha!   Grin Grin

brg444 (OP)

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:03:14 PM

Did you gather any opinions from miners asking them how they feel about creeping towards 1.75 MB equivalent sometime in 2017 with a soft fork that leaves all non-latest-Core-software nodes not validating transactions?

The 75% increase is immediate once the code is implemented.

Third-party software a free to enjoy additional headroom by adapting their code.

Pages: « 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 »
  Print  

Jump to: