Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:53:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 416 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH  (Read 527640 times)
727miner

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:12:53 PM

My Internet went down before i woke up this AM.

My S5s came back online when the internet came back up...but my S7 (batch 1) didn't. I can still see it when i check it thru my LAN. All the ASICs are there and have all 0's but there is no hashing. The fans are running too.

I rebooted. No change. I switched PSUs - still no change. I did a few reboots- no change. Then i reset it to factory settings- still no change. Finally, i called Bitmain in Denver. The tech guy used chrome remote desktop to look at my kernel log , miner status etc. Then he shh'd into my rig. He couldn't find a problem either.

So I will be contacting Bitmain to see what can be done.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have this issue, go into Network>Diagnostic and then ping something. Go back after a minute and check if it is hashing.

Tried that already. The ping was successful but still no hashing.

Someone analyzed my kernel log today and replied with this:

"this looks like memory problem with your beagle bone black
change it with another BBB or find S5 BBB and reflash it for S7"

Bitmain said"

"i would suggest you to obtain micro SD card. and to mount s7 firmware from https://www.bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=00720151023101739550pOBiK5sO06A0

on sd card.

and then to place it in unit. maybe then unit will start working."

I will try that and let you guys know if it worked. I'm guessing more people will have this problem. If this fixes i, that would be nice.

I'd be very interested if this works for future units.  I have already sent the 9 hashcards and 3 controllers back to Bitmain.

It didn't work.

Now, I think the controller is bricked. All the LEDs on the front are now off. The blue and green lights inside the controller are solid ( ie: not blinking). I can't see it in my browser anymore. I can't reset it to default with the reset button.

So after 7 weeks and a few days of perfect functionality, my S7 is not working after an overnight internet outage of about 3 hrs.
 ( Note: there was an internet outage of about 30 mins a month ago. It didn't affect my S7 then. So, it seems if there's a longer internet outage, it messes up the controller or its memory.)

Bitmain Warranty has not responded to my ticket (#1384) since i reported that using the SD card did not work and the control board seems to be bricked. I also asked them if i could have approval to do an RMA and no response to that either.

Should I blindly send the controller ( with my invoice etc.) to Bitmain Warranty in Denver and hope they do something for me?

or

Do i have to wait for them to respond with some kind of RMA approval number like you you get from other companies (ex: Corsair, EVGA etc.)?

I would give them a call before you do anything...1-844-248-6246
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:17:46 PM

In Europe, a miner is 20% more expensive than in the US.

But it's not a big problem. After-market value is also higher.

I do my miner shopping calculations in  USD, not in BTC.  I've bought several S7 only from USD If I buy for BTC , I will buy before  BTC from euro. and after that I buy miners.
There is no point in making estimates only of BTC. Nobody knows how much is BTC value after half a year.  But you can always calculate you  received spent dollars back or not.

Today, I can Purchase miner for four or five  BTC, and a half years later, I regret how I got to be so silly .

I think that it is worth keeping BTC, not to spend all the mined BTC  for  the purchase of the next miner. The benefits can only be  manufacturer of the miners. He has BTC and profit.

Then he produces for you the next "even better" miner and everything starts all over again.

Finally, you do not get the miners to buy, because they are too expensive - how many  SP50  can you afford today?

So you will have a bunch of obsolete miners and a few BTC, if you're lucky enough.

I lived through this once already with used BFL singles, the price of which fell every month more than they earned BTC

Presumably the same will happen with S7

S7 is not new S3 -
 what you can sell a-half years later, at a higher price, what was purchase price.
paymonofree

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:45:08 PM

about the Antminer S7   
i would like to know if there is an option via software to silence the buzzer ?
if not is there a way to access the buzzer and silence it via hardware ?
please also tell me what situations make it buzz.
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3909

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:49:40 PM
Last edit: November 20, 2015, 04:18:28 PM by Biodom

about the Antminer S7  

if you silence the buzz and it loses internet on auto-it might heat itself to oblivion (already described). at least the buzz will alert you that something is wrong.
if you hear buzz often it means that your internet connection is not good.
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 03:51:13 PM

I do my miner shopping calculations in  USD, not in BTC.  I've bought several S7 only from USD If I buy for BTC , I will buy before  BTC from euro. and after that I buy miners.
There is no point in making estimates only of BTC. Nobody knows how much is BTC value after half a year.  But you can always calculate you  received spent dollars back or not.

Today, I can Purchase miner for four or five  BTC, and a half years later, I regret how I got to be so silly .

I think that it is worth keeping BTC, not to spend all the mined BTC  for  the purchase of the next miner. The benefits can only be  manufacturer of the miners. He has BTC and profit.

Then he produces for you the next "even better" miner and everything starts all over again.

Finally, you do not get the miners to buy, because they are too expensive - how many  SP50  can you afford today?

So you will have a bunch of obsolete miners and a few BTC, if you're lucky enough.

I lived through this once already with used BFL singles, the price of which fell every month more than they earned BTC

S7 is not new S3 -
 what you can sell a-half years later, at a higher price, what was purchase price.

Buying an S7 now; is not like buying a used single in late 2013.  It's more like buying a Nov Jupiter or Oct Bitfury rig in late 2013 ( both of which were Very Profitable ). 
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3909

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 04:05:17 PM

S7 is not new S3 -

Buying an S7 now; is not like buying a used single in late 2013.  It's more like buying a Nov Jupiter or Oct Bitfury rig in late 2013 ( both of which were Very Profitable ). 

well, it is debatable, but certainly possible.
Interestingly, Jupiters resale price peaked at ~$12-14K in january 2014. It was almost twice the preorder price in $$, although preorder overpaid in bitcoins.
lanfeusst

Activity: 190
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 04:13:32 PM

about the Antminer S7   
You can silence it by editing cgminer.conf by hand :
Code:
ssh root@192.168.0.45
vi /config/cgminer.conf
Then add to the file
Code:
"bitmain-nobeeper" : true,
so that you get
Code:
"api-listen" : true,
"api-network" : true,
"api-allow" : "W:0/0",
"bitmain-nobeeper" : true,
Then restart cgminer
Code:
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop
/etc/init.d/cgminer.sh start
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:46:34 PM

Is S7 controller board same as S5+'s, I can't tell as all of my S7s are hosted? I just got a replacement controller from Bitmain and it says S5+_CtrlBoard_V1.5.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
hanti

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 05:47:37 PM

We (who mine) are "buying" BTC just as you are buying BTC but in a different way.  You (the buyer) and we (the miner) can BOTH SPECULATE on an increase in price of BTC.  I'm speculating the price of BTC will increase at a percentage rate much higher than the percentage rate of difficulty increase over the next 9 months.  Just as you (the buyer) speculate on the price of bitcoin as well with Elliot Waves, bullish or bearish news or by whatever means you use in your speculation to have not only a return on investment (ROI) but gains to boot.

Is my speculation a bit more riskier than yours?  Yes.  However, where there are greater risks can also result in greater rewards if speculation for those greater risks come to pass.

If u buy miner instead of BTC then your speculation is riskier AND profit is LOWER Wink Thats why there is no point in buying miner that will not mine more BTC then it costs
Example:
1BTC=300USD
1.im buying s7 for 5BTC = 5BTC or 1500 usd spend
2. im buying 5BTC

few months later i got like 3BTC back from s7 and 1BTC=1000USD
1. i have 3BTC or 3000USD - electricity = wow profit 200% in USD hohoho great BUT:
2. i have 5BTC or 5000USD = 2000USD more than example 1.. profit more than 300%

If 1BTC gonna cost 200USD then:
1. i have 3BTC = 600USD -- you lost 2BTC and 900USD
2. u have 5BTC = 1000 USD - you lost 500USD so u have 400USD more anyway

Its Always WIN for buying BTC unless ofc u think your miner gonna mine more BTC then it costs.
There is one exception becouse you can sell your miner but if ppl would think then noone would want to buy it from you. And ofc your miner can burn or something. So more RISK and LESS profit.

P.S
And i want to add one more thing that if we all just buy BTC then we will help BTC price will go highter. If we are buying gear then yes we are buying BTC but then producent will sell this BTC soon for USD so we r not really helping BTC price to rise Smiley

kaltar

Activity: 805
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:02:29 PM

The ROI as been talked about over and over, it all comes down to one thing, it's a gamble, if you can`t afford to lose some money, don`t gamble
on the other hand it`s a nice hobby that has "SOME" return to it.
bomberb17

Activity: 771
Merit: 528

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:13:38 PM

We (who mine) are "buying" BTC just as you are buying BTC but in a different way.  You (the buyer) and we (the miner) can BOTH SPECULATE on an increase in price of BTC.  I'm speculating the price of BTC will increase at a percentage rate much higher than the percentage rate of difficulty increase over the next 9 months.  Just as you (the buyer) speculate on the price of bitcoin as well with Elliot Waves, bullish or bearish news or by whatever means you use in your speculation to have not only a return on investment (ROI) but gains to boot.

Is my speculation a bit more riskier than yours?  Yes.  However, where there are greater risks can also result in greater rewards if speculation for those greater risks come to pass.

If u buy miner instead of BTC then your speculation is riskier AND profit is LOWER Wink Thats why there is no point in buying miner that will not mine more BTC then it costs
Example:
1BTC=300USD
2. im buying 5BTC

1. i have 3BTC or 3000USD - electricity = wow profit 200% in USD hohoho great BUT:

Its Always WIN for buying BTC unless ofc u think your miner gonna mine more BTC then it costs.
There is one exception becouse you can sell your miner but if ppl would think then noone would want to buy it from you. And ofc your miner can burn or something. So more RISK and LESS profit.

P.S
And i want to add one more thing that if we all just buy BTC then we will help BTC price will go highter. If we are buying gear then yes we are buying BTC but then producent will sell this BTC soon for USD so we r not really helping BTC price to rise Smiley

Exactly.
In other words, buying BTC = speculating in BTC/USD price, buying miners (by paying in BTC) = speculating in mining difficulty.
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:25:33 PM

got my batch 5 today, all setup & running well... just wanna share & i think most would've noticed the slots on the sides of the miners.

slotted 2 x batch 5 with my batch 3, just like a lego block. makes it more sturdy. like the housing.

all of them hash as advertised, stock. all pcie's connected from 4000W psu. not gonna touch anything till the 90 days warranty passes.

temps are at mid 50's. very low HW error. 0.0001%

the hashrate does jump around quite a bit but avg's out to the advertised hashrate.

1 of the batch 5 has a woong woong woong fan sound if fan is above 60% .. tried to loosen & tighten front n back fans, no fix.

another batch 5 controller has no green LED light but it works fine so i'm not gonna make a fuss or touch anything. the LED next to the red LED near to LAN port.

other than that, pretty happy. no warm cables (16 AWG custom made) or so.

can't wait to see more ideas when the 90days warranty passes. i'm sure lots of guys here are trying something & doing innovative stuff yeah ?

FW is stock sep 15. i think i saw some guys updated the OCT FW. any difference ?

waiting on the data cable to save a controller board. hooking up 2 in 1 when cables arrive.

regarding ROI .. yes it's tough & NOT impossible at this stage but later, yes but depending on individuals .... i;m gonna mine the the chips, board, etc melts away so i think i'm gonna hit ROI & prolly a lil' profit.

buy BTC or miner almost the same imo, we all want BTC go up !

aurel57
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:34:40 PM

Example:
1BTC=300USD
2. im buying 5BTC

P.S

For some of us going into winter the heat generated is a plus. I can look at it as free heat from mining or free bitcoins from the heater. Also if you don't have a miner in the basement you never get to experience the noise of having a jet engine down there! 😜
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:52:02 PM

Is S7 controller board same as S5+'s, I can't tell as all of my S7s are hosted? I just got a replacement controller from Bitmain and it says S5+_CtrlBoard_V1.5.

I have Model : S5 Version IO.V1.6

but your controller matches as well.  Attach PCI-E and network cable  and see what  software is there inside.
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:00:04 PM

Example:
1BTC=300USD
2. im buying 5BTC

P.S

Why do people always ignore the fact that you sell your miners for money after too ?  + free heat for winter ?  Its all profit from my point of view
Finksy
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:47:31 PM

Example:
1BTC=300USD
2. im buying 5BTC

P.S

That is a very great point in re: to your model.  ROI for mining has gotten very long, however you did not include re-sale price into your equation. SO, let's run the same comparison for an S5 purchased last December, and put online on January 1st until today, for the cost of $500USD.  This isn't speculation, but fact:

1) Spend $500USD (around BTC1.5 at $330 exchange) For an S5. Difficulty was 40,600,000,000 and average difficulty increase was 2.2% over the 24 periods. Assuming electicity cost of $0.07/kWh (I'm using an average exchange rate of $260 over that course of time for the sake of electricity costs)
Total Net Income - BTC2.3
Current re-sale value of S5 (conservatively) $320 or BTC1
Total Net Return on your BTC1.5 investment  in Bitcoin - BTC1.8 or 120%
Total Net Return on your $500 investment in $USD - $575 or 115%

2) Spend $500USD on BTC, and get BTC1.5 at $330 exchange
EVEN if you were to have cashed in at the highest exchange during that 11 month period of $502, you would have
Net Return on your BTC1.5 investment in Bitcoin - 0% (since your Bitcoin didn't change in value)
Net return on your $500 investment in $USD - 51.5%

Now, let me do my speculation on the S7 purchase using your figures, but including a realistic re-sale value of the S7:

1. I'm buying s7 for 5BTC = 5BTC or 1500 usd spent
2. I'm buying 5BTC

1. i have 3BTC or 3000USD - electricity of mining revenue = wow profit 200% in USD hohoho great Edit: Antminer S7 has depreciated by 20%, and is now worth BTC4 (since the price of used miners is DIRECTLY tied to BTC and NOT $USD, as has been obvious with the used price of S5's during the recent rally), for a total of BTC7 or 7000USD, a profit of 466%

1. i have 3BTC = 600USD -- you lost 2BTC and 900USD, Edit: and the Antminer S7, which say is still worth BTC2, using a 60% depreciation, therefore you still have 5BTC and the same USD as example below

IBM 2880W PSU Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135 IBM 4K PSU Breakout Boards & Packages: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1308296 
Server PSU-powered GPU rig solutions! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864539  Wallet address: 1GWQYCv22cAikgTgT1zFuAmsJ9fFqq9TXf 
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:48:57 PM

Example:
1BTC=300USD
2. im buying 5BTC

P.S

I see it differently.
I have at the moment 31 x S7 + some water cooled S5 for  heating .  150TH/s  mining at this month daily 1.10 BTC  (Antpool PPS )

I have 3x 50A  220V   It is always full. Some of the miners have been at a friend's house - today 4 x S7 Max 12 euro day , in a month less as 400 euro.
My home electricity consumption is not more than 3500 euro in a month.
So total 4000 euro or less for electricity.

If the BTC  price is 300 euro , then if I can sell all mined BTC and  I got 9900 euro or more per month.

In this case, I have recouped the purchase of three S7  miners per month-  2000 euro (or less) per miner with shipping and 20% VAT

But I sold last my BTC, when 1BTC=350 .

With mining you can earn more than with the purchase of BTC and holding them.

But you must sell when the price is high .. And you must have a reserve to pay for the electricity when the BTC  price is low for several months.
ATCkit

Activity: 786
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:55:39 PM

I think so. Mine is S5+_CtrlBoard_V1.1
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:51:00 PM

S7 software is installed on the controller board. I have been unlucky with this miner, installed the controller and new boards within a minute or two saw a spark coming out of one of the board. Now the controller turns on with other 2 boards only, adding the third one turns off the controller. It shows pool is alive but 0 GH/s hash rate. I am going to request if I can RMA the entire miner and get a different one.

I have Model : S5 Version IO.V1.6

but your controller matches as well.  Attach PCI-E and network cable  and see what  software is there inside.

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 10:31:00 PM

S7 software is installed on the controller board. I have been unlucky with this miner, installed the controller and new boards within a minute or two saw a spark coming out of one of the board. Now the controller turns on with other 2 boards only, adding the third one turns off the controller. It shows pool is alive but 0 GH/s hash rate. I am going to request if I can RMA the entire miner and get a different one.

You can not send back the entire miner. Bitmain warranty does not work that way.

2. All sales are final. No refunds will be given. Defective machines can be repaired for free under the Bitmain warranty policy. After the warranty period, machines can be repaired for the cost of parts and labor
4. Customer must return the defective parts at own expense after opening a support ticket and troubleshooting with Bitmain's instructions.

https://www.bitmaintech.com/productDetail.htm?pid=000201511170341298180m44675v0613

I was lucky with my 3x S7 repaired blades but unlucky with 2 xS5+ blades which is last sent back from china.

After a few hours

Click to enlarge

Pages: « 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 ... 416 »
  Print  

Jump to: