Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:44:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 416 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH  (Read 527640 times)
dmwardjr
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:18:41 AM

Batch 5.  Not too shabby.

do you need new firmware for the 625mhz?

Yes,  I just got my batch 7 in tonight and whatever firmware that is on there is amazing.  Of course it is only going to work on batch 7 I am assuming (162 chip version)

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Do not upgrade to any firmware you see on Bitmain's support website at the moment.  It is for 550 MHz, 575 MHz and 600 MHz only [That would be batches 1 through 6].  If you upgrade your Batch 7 [Which is default at 625 MHz] to one of the other firmware, you risk changing the default frequency of your mining rig and can potentially shorten it's warranty period if you bought other S7 batches prior to batch 7.  If something goes wrong with it during the warranty period [But outside the warranty period for previous batches] you may be out of luck because they think you are trying to get an earlier batch [That's out of warranty] serviced.

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
blockchainmines

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:24:17 AM

I have a evga 1600w g2 sitting here and wounding if I can use it to power the Antminer s7 that is coming later tomorrow, any thoughts?

What are you wondering about, how awesome it will be  or what?  Lol, I have 21 S7's 17 of which are powered by COOLMAX ZPS-1600B and the other 4 are powered by EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2 80+ GOLD, 1600W Big Daddy's.  What are your concerns or questions?  
blockchainmines

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:40:43 AM

Batch 5.  Not too shabby.

do you need new firmware for the 625mhz?

Yes,  I just got my batch 7 in tonight and whatever firmware that is on there is amazing.  Of course it is only going to work on batch 7 I am assuming (162 chip version)

Let me know.

Thanks!!

Do not upgrade to any firmware you see on Bitmain's support website at the moment.  It is for 550 MHz, 575 MHz and 600 MHz only.  If you upgrade your Batch 7 [Which is default at 625 MHz] to one of the other firmware, you risk changing the default frequency of your mining rig and can potentially shorten it's warranty period if you bought other S7 batches prior to batch 7.  If something goes wrong with it during the warranty period [But outside the warranty period for previous batches] you may be out of luck because they think you are trying to get an earlier batch [That's out of warranty] serviced.

Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight. 
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:50:05 AM

Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight.  

I will share with you the same thing I have told someone else.  I'm sure others will agree.

There is nothing wrong with the September firmware.  The October firmware SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue with rigs burning up after internet loss.  I've seen two people in the forum who have had their units replaced because of burning up after losing interest and they had the October firmware.  One of them lost 3 rigs due to burning up after internet loss.  

Don't believe the hype about the October firmware.  It does not fix that issue.  It's not worth risking a $1,700 to $2,000 investment depending on the firmware having fixed that issue because it hasn't.  Your investment is safer if the fan is set to manual with a setting of 75% or higher.  It may be less than 75% is okay but that depends on your ambient temperature.

I'm keeping all of mine from now on with the firmware they come with and setting the fans to "manual" to avoid burning them up if the internet goes down.  We already have confirmation your rigs will not burn up if you have the fans set to manual at 75% or higher.  It's possible they may not burn up with the fan set at lower percentage but 75% is the lowest we have confirmation of thus far.  

The S7 is an EXCELLENT rig in many aspects.  The only issue [in my opinion] is the risk of burning up the rig during a long period of internet failure.  How long?  Who knows...

BITMAIN is still installing the September Firmware and probably mining with the September Firmware on their own personal rigs.  If it was so important, I would think they would already have the updated firmware pre loaded.  Even if they were to have it pre-loaded, I would not risk a $1,500 to $2,000 investment on this issue. Go to manual with the fan and do not trust the firmware update to fix the issue.  That's my opinion.  

Follow me on Trading View for excellent signals in Bitcoin/US dollar - Bitstamp - https://www.tradingview.com/u/WyckoffMode/.  You can follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/ModeWyckoff My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8IbhpQwrTD6BozJPWnyAHA  My Discord Invite Link: https://discord.com/invite/3EJYTytaTT  My Website is in LIVE BETA: https://wyckoffmode.com/
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 06:51:12 AM

Batch 8 was at 1792 and now its reduced to 1650 USD ( 4.405 BTC ) Still is a a fair amount to pay. Think am a going to play the waiting game some more or till someone starts selling off and S8 comes along or they get the efficiency up more on the s7

pcfli reported that S7 miner that will come in late january will cost ~$1150 to him and, hence, to everybody else as Bitmain charges similar $$ to hosting sites vs regular folks. Of course, it is almost exactly the same or worse than having a $1500-1550 ($1650-coupon) miner right now.

S7 late Jan? Their goes any profit that would of been made available to mine and generate. Batches and pre orders, Bitmain needs to go back to in-stock and ship next day. That way might take a little longer to get the stocks in but would improve customer experience and provide much better experience for customers to gain a good RIO or be in with a much better chance.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
blockchainmines

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:00:20 AM

Absolutely, I would never do that, I was talking about getting the firmware for the other 19 that are not batch 7 to bring them up to batch 7 standards.  I am very happy with thew two that arrive tonight.  

I will share with you the same thing I have told someone else.  I'm sure others will agree.

There is nothing wrong with the September firmware.  The October firmware SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue with rigs burning up after internet loss.  I've seen two people in the forum who have had their units replaced because of burning up after losing interest and they had the October firmware.  One of them lost 3 rigs due to burning up after internet loss.  

Don't believe the hype about the October firmware.  It does not fix that issue.  It's not worth risking a $1,700 to $2,000 investment depending on the firmware having fixed that issue because it hasn't.  Your investment is safer if the fan is set to manual with a setting of 75% or higher.  It may be less than 75% is okay but that depends on your ambient temperature.

I'm keeping all of mine from now on with the firmware they come with and setting the fans to "manual" to avoid burning them up if the internet goes down.  We already have confirmation your rigs will not burn up if you have the fans set to manual at 75% or higher.  It's possible they may not burn up with the fan set at lower percentage but 75% is the lowest we have confirmation of thus far.  

The S7 is an EXCELLENT rig in many aspects.  The only issue [in my opinion] is the risk of burning up the rig during a long period of internet failure.  How long?  Who knows...

BITMAIN is still installing the September Firmware and probably mining with the September Firmware on their own personal rigs.  If it was so important, I would think they would already have the updated firmware pre loaded.  Even if they were to have it pre-loaded, I would not risk a $1,500 to $2,000 investment on this issue. Go to manual with the fan and do not trust the firmware update to fix the issue.  That's my opinion.  

I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion. 
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:14:57 AM

I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion.  

I don't see myself pushing any S7 higher than 650 MHz.  Simply for the reason you said, for the longevity of the rig.

EDIT:  If it comes with a default higher than 650 MHz, I will under clock it to 650 MHz.

citronick
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080

---- winter*juvia -----

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:18:48 AM

I totally agree with you, I maybe misunderstood your earlier post.  I thought you had the firmware that bitmain was using for the 625 rigs.  However, I have no problem running my machines at a lower setting as I am fully aware for what overclocking or pushing these units to hard can cause damage wise.  The financial risk is not worth it.  That is why I am so against bitmains batch 8 with the 135 chip and them pushing the chips to 700 MHZ.  I think that has failure written all over it and driven by greed.  Just my opinion. 

I have a Batch 8 on the way - and given the 135 chips 700mhz setting, I would like to underclock the rig to hit a "safe zone" just like the previous 600mhz batches -- I am hoping I can extend this rig's life as much as possible. Does this make sense?

If I provided you good and useful info or just a smile to your day, consider sending me merit points to further validate this Bitcointalk account ~ useful for future account recovery...
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:19:39 AM

why set fan to 75% or higher ?

@ 75% i'm seeing roughly 4680/4200 rpm

the chips still run when internet is loss ? if it does, it should be maintaining the same temp at whichever manual speed that it is set to, say 60% fan manual gives me a reading of 55/56/57 deg C.

if i'm not mistaken the fan max rpm is 4800 rpm, 75% is actually pretty close to max rpm of the 12038 fan.

of course if we can set lower fan speed will be good as it does saves some power, reduce some wear & tear too, yeah yeah yeah we all know about the heat & noise, but if one wants to save the miner then deal with the heat & noise.

just curious Huh

imo, if chips are below 70 deg C (roughly abt 10% before it cuts off @ default 80 deg C, the chips are rated to withstand higher temps but other components might not survive over long periods of time) are safe. i wonder where did the magical number of 60C or below came from.

certain chips does have an optimum temp to perform well, in this case me thinks around 60 deg C as there are others reported higher HW error if temps are too low.

just my 2 cents.
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:21:20 AM

I have a Batch 8 on the way - and given the 135 chips 700mhz setting, I would like to underclock the rig to hit a "safe zone" just like the previous 600mhz batches -- I am hoping I can extend this rig's life as much as possible. Does this make sense?

Sounds like a good option maybe do some pencil mod if their is around reduce the voltage used take some the GH down a little but get a much more effective unit. Looking to do on my old miners as pointed out in a topic made about it and found links to s3 units people been doing to and proving good. Maybe can use the same methods to produce some results on the s7 batch 8 when you get it.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:21:48 AM

Most certainly...

I believe the S7 will probably be around as long as the S3; in terms of still making profit, for as long as a 2 year period or longer.  If I were to get Batch 8, I would under clock to 650 MHz.  My opinion.  Others can do as they wish.

EDIT:  I'm going to "baby" mine to the fullest.   Grin

Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 3909

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 07:55:35 AM

why set fan to 75% or higher ?

@ 75% i'm seeing roughly 4680/4200 rpm

the chips still run when internet is loss ? if it does, it should be maintaining the same temp at whichever manual speed that it is set to, say 60% fan manual gives me a reading of 55/56/57 deg C.

if i'm not mistaken the fan max rpm is 4800 rpm, 75% is actually pretty close to max rpm of the 12038 fan.

of course if we can set lower fan speed will be good as it does saves some power, reduce some wear & tear too, yeah yeah yeah we all know about the heat & noise, but if one wants to save the miner then deal with the heat & noise.

just curious Huh

imo, if chips are below 70 deg C (roughly abt 10% before it cuts off @ default 80 deg C, the chips are rated to withstand higher temps but other components might not survive over long periods of time) are safe. i wonder where did the magical number of 60C or below came from.

certain chips does have an optimum temp to perform well, in this case me thinks around 60 deg C as there are others reported higher HW error if temps are too low.

just my 2 cents.

this is strange, but my miners on 9/15 software never go above 4400 rpm when i set them at 75%.
I think that % just sets up the MAXIMUM speed and it normally runs much lower.
It is true at least for B1, B2, B4, B5, don't know yet re B6 and B7.
dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:02:27 AM

this is strange, but my miners on 9/15 software never go above 4400 rpm when i set them at 75%.
I think that % just sets up the MAXIMUM speed and it normally runs much lower.
It is true at least for B1, B2, B4, B5, don't know yet re B6 and B7.

4400 RPM's is about the limit of these particular fans.  4500 RPM's might be the limit.  I would think at least 3700 RPM's would be sufficient to keep the rig from burning up if the internet was to go out on you.  Of course this depends on the ambient.

KeezAZA

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:07:24 AM

Is there any option on in the S7 config to change to the frequency at different times like the S3?
On my S3 I am able to reboot the unit every 12 hours.
I am thinking if I get a S7 under clocking it to 500 during the day and 650 at night. Less heat and lower electricity rates.

dmwardjr
Legendary

Technical Analyst/Trader

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 08:13:42 AM

Is there any option on in the S7 config to change to the frequency at different times like the S3?
I am thinking if I get a S7 under clocking it to 500 during the day and 650 at night. Less heat and lower electricity rates.

I haven't bothered under clocking any of my S7's yet.  All of mine are default at 625 MHz and lower.  So, you never lowered the voltage when under clocking your S3's?  If the voltage was changed, the S3 had to be rebooted.  Same goes for the S5. 

I didn't know the S3 had that option.  It makes sense if one has cheaper power rates at certain times during the day.

If such an option is available, what tab would it be under?  If you can show it on the S3 with a screen shot, it would be helpful.

crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 09:53:02 AM

Maybe an idea for bitmain in future ones for thoes who want to overclock or underclock and be able to tweak voltages maybe add on a device that allows you to set the voltage using a regulator that can be turned up or down giving more usability to the customer. Having a min volt and max what can crank it upto as a max safe.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:08:43 AM

careful abt UC/OC ... many do not have enuff knowledge or experience to do it.

1st of all the PSU MUST be able to supply sufficient voltage if one wanna OC or the voltage to be lowered if want to UC.

i see most of the guys here are using ATX PSU which does NOT provide enuff voltage even to run at stock freq's.

i think 12V + 5% is "Recommended" ?

ATX PSU can hardly provide 12V with loads.

again it VOIDS warranty.

get a good reliable PSU with adjustable voltage after the warranty expires then come back here & continue discussing UC/OC.

ah ha, also pcie cables that are being used. most are 18 awg. if 1 can afford to buy an s7 at such price, why is it that difficult to get a reliable PSU + good quality cables ?

i may sound like an a*s here now but just sharing & hopefully no one comes & say i shouldn't have done that & now my miner is burnt or exploded or my house caught fire etc.

have fun with the miners. just sharing my 2 sat's worth opinion.
crazyearner
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:14:30 AM

careful abt UC/OC ... many do not have enuff knowledge or experience to do it.

1st of all the PSU MUST be able to supply sufficient voltage if one wanna OC or the voltage to be lowered if want to UC.

i see most of the guys here are using ATX PSU which does NOT provide enuff voltage even to run at stock freq's.

i think 12V + 5% is "Recommended" ?

ATX PSU can hardly provide 12V with loads.

again it VOIDS warranty.

get a good reliable PSU with adjustable voltage after the warranty expires then come back here & continue discussing UC/OC.

ah ha, also pcie cables that are being used. most are 18 awg. if 1 can afford to buy an s7 at such price, why is it that difficult to get a reliable PSU + good quality cables ?

i may sound like an a*s here now but just sharing & hopefully no one comes & say i shouldn't have done that & now my miner is burnt or exploded or my house caught fire etc.

have fun with the miners. just sharing my 2 sat's worth opinion.

it voids I totally understand that or maybe to have units that are separate like say S7 overclockers edition for the people who want to do such activity. 5% is good for overclocking but people with the know how want to take it beyond that and or look to under volt it to take small amount of hash off and massive drop in energy use.

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
KeezAZA

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

https://eloncity.io

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 10:35:01 AM

I haven't bothered under clocking any of my S7's yet.  All of mine are default at 625 MHz and lower.  So, you never lowered the voltage when under clocking your S3's?  If the voltage was changed, the S3 had to be rebooted.  Same goes for the S5. 

I didn't know the S3 had that option.  It makes sense if one has cheaper power rates at certain times during the day.

If such an option is available, what tab would it be under?  If you can show it on the S3 with a screen shot, it would be helpful.

On the S3 under System --> Scheduled Tasks tab.

You can add commands to the crontab.

I currently do a reboot every 12hours on the S3 as i get one X every 14-15 hours.

So in theroy if i had that option one should be able to step down the freq in the same tab.

vortexz
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 11:15:27 AM

Anyone OCed his Batch 7 to 650 Mhz ? is it performing well ??
Pages: « 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 [238] 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 ... 416 »
  Print  

Jump to: