Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 09:10:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CryptoNote technical discussion and Chess Challenge  (Read 96046 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 05:05:27 AM

Kudos to @boolberry. Very impressive with good support from @language. One of the more spectacular matches I have ever seen.

If we are doing a rematch with colors reversed, I'd volunteer to play black, this time with Team XMR.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 09:09:53 AM

Kudos to @boolberry. Very impressive with good support from @language. One of the more spectacular matches I have ever seen.

If we are doing a rematch with colors reversed, I'd volunteer to play black, this time with Team XMR.

A gorgeous game of chess, made all the better by the plot twist: XMR rekt surprise ending.

BBR was very disciplined and it paid off; I don't think the rook activation was just luck.   Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
boolberry (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 04:25:26 AM

Thank you. It was definitely a team effort. You will be missed but I see no problem with people switching sides in between games. We are just playing for fun and I think everyone on Team Boolberry (as far as I know) is a big fan of Monero anyway.

This has been an exciting week for Monero (and by extension the entire CryptoNote community) with the release of 0.9 and increasing developer interest in a number of areas.

2016 will be a great year for CryptoNote!
letsplayagame

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 06:50:08 AM

After my current game is over I will likely take a break before starting another
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148538.0

I care a great deal about bitcoin (and have interest in CryptoNote and other privacy focused blockchain development) but my schedule will be busy for several months. I may occasionally come back to post a chess problem in my thread but don't have time for a greater commitment.

Please do start another chess game here. I will join the Monero team and will try to refer you more chess players once my current game has ended. Do not count on me to return and vote for every move. My presence will primarily serve to promote chess and to further my understanding of CryptoNote.

There are several very well known chess players who are interested in bitcoin. As development here continues I think it will become easier for me to interest them in CryptoNote. Please continue the technical discussions, particularly about new research papers and commits of importance.

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:47:37 AM

Since you are switching sides and letsplayagame is also going to be on the Monero team and possibly attracting more Monero players I will volunteer to switch to Boolberry to help keep the balance.

Let me cast the first vote for the 2nd game

Boolberry vs Monero game 2

1.d4 (LucyLovesCrypto)
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:50:02 AM

Please continue the technical discussions, particularly about new research papers and commits of importance.

This post from fluffypony offers a good recap of the many CryptoNote improvements that have occurred so far

Both are Cryptonight-based coins. What is the main difference (on the technical side)?

Monero is a vastly different project from its CryptoNote origins. In the year-and-a-half since we took over as stewards of the Monero project we've added 246000 lines of code (ignoring modifications to external libraries such as unbound, miniupnpc, lmdb, etc.) and modified 13890 existing lines of code. Our focus has been on major improvements to both the protocol and implementation, as well as incremental refactoring and commenting.

To give you a stark example of the differences: Bytecoin currently has 13336 comments in its code, and Monero has 36072.

Off the top of my head, here are things that Monero has done that Bytecoin hasn't:

- Discovered severe, fundamental flaws in the underlying CryptoNote protocol
- Proposed fixes for those flaws
- Implemented fixes for those flaws in a hard fork
- Implemented a rolling hard fork mechanism
- Completely overhauled and improved the CMake build mechanism with the assistance of Kitware, the creators of CMake
- Improved and extended the wallet storage format
- Massively improved the (purposely obfuscated / broken) PoW hashing mechanism
- Added Electrum-style mnemonic seeds
- Created and added wordlists for various languages (English, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, Italian)
- Created a multilanguage subsystem for all CLI tools
- Added transaction auto-splitting
- Massively improved payment ID scanning
- Added support for OpenAlias
- Created and implemented a scheme for address + payment ID serialisation
- Created and implemented a scheme for stealthed payment IDs
- Implemented a cryptographically secure DNS seeding system
- Implemented a cryptographically secure distributed checkpoint referencing system
- Moved from in-RAM database to a backend-agnostic blockchain database
- Created an LMDB blockchainDB implementation (with the help of Howard Chu, the creator of LMDB)
- Created a BerkeleyDB blockchainDB implementation
- Created an OS-agnostic raw blockchain format
- Built tools to convert between blockchain implementations, as well as import and export them
- Added support for FreeBSD, 32-bit Windows, 32-bit Linux, ARM v6, ARM v7 (and above)
- Added QoS (bandwidth control) to the wire protocol
- Implemented a proper background forking (daemonising) mechanism that supports Unix forking and Windows services
- Added a core crypto implementation based on SUPERCOP ref10
- Switched to a triangular distribution for output selection
- Created a "trusted daemon" system for remote daemon use

And in which one would you invest?

Both will probably be non-existent in a few years. If by some chance Monero survives it will find its use as a privacy-centric currency / store of value, not as an investment vehicle. The non-fixed emission (to maintain mining incentives ad infinitum) means that it will never have the same scarcity as Bitcoin, but I think it's already been demonstrated that scarcity in altcoin distribution is wholly overrated.
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:03:46 AM

1.d4 (LucyLovesCrypto)

1.d4 (LucyLovesCrypto, languagehasmeaning)
languagehasmeaning

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:05:42 AM

After my current game is over I will likely take a break before starting another
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148538.0

I care a great deal about bitcoin (and have interest in CryptoNote and other privacy focused blockchain development) but my schedule will be busy for several months. I may occasionally come back to post a chess problem in my thread but don't have time for a greater commitment.

Please do start another chess game here. I will join the Monero team and will try to refer you more chess players once my current game has ended. Do not count on me to return and vote for every move. My presence will primarily serve to promote chess and to further my understanding of CryptoNote.

There are several very well known chess players who are interested in bitcoin. As development here continues I think it will become easier for me to interest them in CryptoNote. Please continue the technical discussions, particularly about new research papers and commits of importance.

Thank you for taking the time to interact with the bitcoin and now CryptoNote community. It is an honor to have the opportunity to play against you. Good luck with your chess results this year!
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:34:34 PM

1.d4 (LucyLovesCrypto)

1.e4 (boolberry)
tifozi

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:40:56 PM

Thank you. It was definitely a team effort. You will be missed but I see no problem with people switching sides in between games. We are just playing for fun and I think everyone on Team Boolberry (as far as I know) is a big fan of Monero anyway.

This has been an exciting week for Monero (and by extension the entire CryptoNote community) with the release of 0.9 and increasing developer interest in a number of areas.

2016 will be a great year for CryptoNote!

2016 will be a big breakout year for Monero (possibly another smaller CN chain, but I wouldn't count on it). For CryptoNote to really expand, there has to be one coin that everyone really rallies behind and Monero is poised for that role. The wealth has to come from fiat as we have seen by now that XBT backers are reluctant to take a steady stance and they are the ones that would have mattered the most since they know what the entire fight is about.

Much respect for @letsplayagame to volunteer to play for Team XMR (and his enthusiasm for bitcoin and XMR !). Imagine him playing some tourney for winnings in these currencies down the road along with the general Linux like open source development going on in XMR, sky is the limit.

boolberry (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 12:03:20 AM

Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Boolberry has chosen to play d4. Now it is time for Team Monero to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

Team Boolberry (white pieces) vs. Team Monero (black pieces)
black to move

Game 2 PGN:
Code:
1.d4
letsplayagame

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:33:32 AM

Nf6

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
XMRpromotions

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:21:39 AM

Nf6

Nf6: letsplayagame, XMRpromotions

Will we get a chance to play the Kings Indian Defense?

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:33:43 AM

I would like to play as well. Are the teams somewhat balanced? Who should I join? Smiley

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
XMRpromotions

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 02:48:58 AM

I would like to play as well. Are the teams somewhat balanced? Who should I join? Smiley

It is up to you. I don't think it really matters if the teams are perfectly balanced or not.

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
tifozi

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 04:59:44 AM

I would say it does matter now with @letsplayagame in Team XMR. He hardly needs much help.  Grin

In fact it makes sense for me to continue to be in Team BBR given there will be a few more in Team XMR along with letsplayagame like ArticMine, XMRPromotions et al.

mammut

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 10:41:43 AM

I want to play against letsplayagame and am therefore joining team boolberry Smiley
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:15:24 PM

Alright let's do this count me in boolberry.
I see we are doing good so far 1 move in. Tongue

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:27:08 PM

Nf6: letsplayagame, XMRpromotions
d5: XMRChina
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 12:03:55 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2016, 12:14:19 AM by boolberry

Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Monero has chosen to play Nf6. Now it is time for Team Boolberry to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

Team Boolberry (white pieces) vs. Team Monero (black pieces)
white to move

Game 2 PGN:
Code:
1.d4 Nf6
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: