Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:36:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Announcement] Avalon ASIC Development Status [Batch #1]  (Read 155269 times)
thorvald

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 01:48:09 AM

Happy new year 2013 and all the best for you!! Let all dreams come true for every one of You

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
▄▄██████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████▀  ███▄
████████████▀▀    ▀▀███▀  ▄█████
██████████▀         ██▀  ▄████████
█████████▀      ▄▄▄▄██▀  ▄██████████
████████     ▄██████▀  ▄██  ████████
████████     ███████▀  ▄██    ████████
████████    ██████▀  ▄████    ████████
████████    █████▀  ▄█████    ████████
████████    ███▀  ▄██████     ████████
████████  ███▀  ▄█████▀     ████████
███████████▀  ▄█▀▀▀▀      ▄█████████
█████████▀  ▄█         ▄██████████
██████▀  ▄██▄▄    ▄▄████████████
▀████  ▄█████████████████████▀
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀██████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

██████            ██████          ▄▄██████          ▄▄███████▄▄                ▄▄███████▄▄
 ██████          ██████        ▄██████████       ▄███████████████▄          ▄███████████████▄
 ▀█████▄        ▄█████▀       ████████████      ███████████████████        ███████████████████
  ▀█████▄      ▄█████▀       ████████▀▀        ███████▀▀    ▀▀██████      ██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
   ██████      ██████       ███████           ██████▀       ▄██████      █████▀           ▀█████
   ▀█████▄    ▄█████▀      ███████           ██████       ▄██████▀      █████               █████
    ▀█████▄  ▄█████▀       ██████            █████      ▄██████▀        █████               █████
     ██████  ██████        ██████            █████    ▄██████▀          █████               █████
     ▀█████▄▄█████▀        ██████            █████▄ ▄██████▀            █████               █████
      ▀██████████▀         ██████             ███████████▀     ▄███▄     █████▄           ▄█████
       ██████████          ██████              ████████▀    ▄▄██████      ██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
       ▀████████▀          ██████               ███████████████████        ███████████████████
        ▀██████▀           ██████                ▀███████████████▀          ▀███████████████▀
         ▀████▀            ██████                   ▀▀███████▀▀                ▀▀███████▀▀

[
 ▄███████████████████████▄
██▀                     ▀██
██  ▄█████████████████▄  ██
██  ███             ███  ██
██  ▀████████████████▀   ██
██                       ██
██                  ▄▄▄  ██
██   ██             ███  ██
██ ██████       ▄▄▄      ██
██   ██         ███    ▄ ██
██        ▄  ▄       ▄▀ ▄██
██      ▄▀ ▄▀      ▄▀ ▄██▀
██▄               ▀ ▄██▀
 ▀███████████████████▀
Telegram
ANN Thread
Website
]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitSyncom (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:19:01 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2013, 05:29:39 AM by BitSyncom

I think the next official update is us shipping out a device. needless to say, we are at the end and is pretty busy at the moment, soon major team members are actually going to stay and live in the factory housing for a few days to make sure everything works out smoothly.

I do not think we will be providing any power consumption/final hashrate prior to shipping the units because we will be tweaking the numbers until we feel it's ready. Soon as we ship everything will become clear.

ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 02:36:27 AM

Happy new year 2013 and all the best for you!! Let all dreams come true for every one of You

Happy new year 2013 to all ...let's make lots of bitcoins this year...

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:41:53 AM

Happy new year 2013 to all ...let's make lots of bitcoins this year...
Approximately 1,314,000 BTC Smiley
(though since we are expecting diff rises, a diff rise of any reasonable amount at the end of 2013 means that number goes up a bit)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 07:22:54 AM

I'd love to invest in an ASIC but I only ever really wanted something tiny like one of those Jalapeño types like BFL has.

Still, good luck to everyone that invested in any asic company.

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
kaerf

Activity: 631
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 10:04:49 AM

I think the next official update is us shipping out a device. needless to say, we are at the end and is pretty busy at the moment, soon major team members are actually going to stay and live in the factory housing for a few days to make sure everything works out smoothly.

I do not think we will be providing any power consumption/final hashrate prior to shipping the units because we will be tweaking the numbers until we feel it's ready. Soon as we ship everything will become clear.

no demo?
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:16:41 AM

Just thought I'd point out the obvious ...
Since neither myself or ckolivas are involved in the cgminer version you guys are going to put in the Avalon ...
You cannot release your device without also releasing the source code for the cgminer in your device.
Thanks.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:48:18 AM

no demo?

But I like demos Sad
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 12:01:53 PM

Since neither myself or ckolivas
Would you really endorse a closed source release of cgminer in any case?  And do you really think you can?  There is a lot of code written by other people in cgminer under GPLv2 and GPLv3— including code by Jeff.

Other than avoiding providing source to the general public before the device's actual realize I can't imagine the avalon team having _any_ motivation to release a binary only miner and they can solve that by only distributing the source to the device recipients in order to maximally delay their competition seeing it.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 12:29:53 PM

Since neither myself or ckolivas
Would you really endorse a closed source release of cgminer in any case?  And do you really think you can?  There is a lot of code written by other people in cgminer under GPLv2 and GPLv3— including code by Jeff.

Other than avoiding providing source to the general public before the device's actual realize I can't imagine the avalon team having _any_ motivation to release a binary only miner and they can solve that by only distributing the source to the device recipients in order to maximally delay their competition seeing it.

WTF are you talking about?
There would never be a closed source cgminer.

gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 01:19:39 PM

Good to hear. I thought what I was talking about was clear enough.

Let me try talking a bit louder:
Quote from: kano
Since neither myself or ckolivas are involved in the cgminer version you guys are going to put in the Avalon ...
You cannot release your device without also releasing the source code for the cgminer in your device.
Is it more clear now? It sounds like you were saying that if and only if you or ckolivas were involved a vendor could release a cgminer based product without source. I don't believe this is correct, and I'm glad to hear you wouldn't consider it.  I suppose instead you meant "since we're not involved maybe thats evidence you were not planning on releasing the source"? I don't see how that follows, but OKAY. In any case, perhaps now you can see how your message could be read another way?
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 02:08:37 PM

Good to hear. I thought what I was talking about was clear enough.

Let me try talking a bit louder:
Quote from: kano
Is it more clear now? It sounds like you were saying that if and only if you or ckolivas were involved a vendor could release a cgminer based product without source. I don't believe this is correct, and I'm glad to hear you wouldn't consider it.  I suppose instead you meant "since we're not involved maybe thats evidence you were not planning on releasing the source"? I don't see how that follows, but OKAY. In any case, perhaps now you can see how your message could be read another way?

I guess that if both ckolivas and kano were involved, as they are by far the main contributors to the source, given enough time they could replace any code commited by other contributors in cgminer by a brand new reimplementation. They would then be able to licence the resulting code the way they want. That's theoretical though and could prove difficult in practice (some parts of cgminer might need a clean-room reimplementation that neither ckolivas and kano would be suitable developers for given their knowledge of it) and this theoretical possibility is only used by kano as a demonstration argument given his later answer.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
gmaxwell
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 03:06:43 PM

I guess
Well, I actually went through the codebase and history some before commenting.
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:01:56 PM

I guess
Well, I actually went through the codebase and history some before commenting.
I did too and didn't find much in recent history: contributors in December essentially brought device specific code which could be removed for an ASIC specific cgminer. I guess Wink you were more thorough in your codewalk.

That's one reason I used "theoretical" for this approach: it's hard to evaluate the amount of work needed to remove past contributions when you want to relicense a codebase. From a purely ideological point of view I must say I think this is a good thing: when you originally use the GPL and grow a community of developers around your project it shouldn't be easy to remove past contributions that helped the project mature to profit on your own from the codebase.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 05:35:46 PM

Not disparaging the Avalon team, as I have no idea what they are planning... but it's not like China has a great track record when it comes to IP and copyrights.  If they did release it without the source, realistically, what is the recourse?  Pretty much zip.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:40:42 PM

Other than avoiding providing source to the general public before the device's actual realize I can't imagine the avalon team having _any_ motivation to release a binary only miner

A binary release will need to be shipped in the Avalon device itself (compiled to run on Atheros MIPS), if it's to be ready to operate out-of-the-box.

I trust that they will release the source also.  I believe they have commented saying that they will.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:30:20 PM

Not disparaging the Avalon team, as I have no idea what they are planning... but it's not like China has a great track record when it comes to IP and copyrights.  If they did release it without the source, realistically, what is the recourse?  Pretty much zip.

Your statement lacks some degree of context and thus it is difficult to see what exactly you are driving at.  It almost looks like kind of a random flailing against an 'adversary' (I have not yet determined if BFL and Avalon are 'competitors'.)  But anyway...

One dis-advantage of their not adhering to open-source principles to a realistic degree would be loss of sales and support by at least a segment of the community.

My observation is that the 'problem' of intellectual property theft in many areas is diminishing.  I believe that a primary reason for this is that the open-source world offers superior solutions in many cases.  Much of the closed-source world is actually a lot of hot air and/or deeply troubled code which would be dis-advantageous to employ for long-term value projects.

Anyway, I'm not buying shit from anyone until they can demonstrate a working solution, and then I'll determine whether what they are selling is worth having.  And open-source will be a HUGE part of who I send my BTC/USD to.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 10:58:14 PM

How is that "flailing against an adversary" exactly?  Either it applies to the Avalon team and there's jack all anyone can/will do about it or it does not apply to the Avalon team so it doesn't matter.  Or are you seriously trying to deny the fact that China has a piss poor record of honoring IP protection laws?  Or... are you just being an apologist for the poor adherence to IP laws?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:13:33 PM

How is that "flailing against an adversary" exactly?  Either it applies to the Avalon team and there's jack all anyone can/will do about it or it does not apply to the Avalon team so it doesn't matter.  Or are you seriously trying to deny the fact that China has a piss poor record of honoring IP protection laws?  Or... are you just being an apologist for the poor adherence to IP laws?

What "China" does is irrelevent. The Avalon team has a known history of releasing Open Source stuff. That's what matters.

Buy & Hold
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:15:57 PM

Troll spotted.  Shields up.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 »
  Print  

Jump to: