Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:28:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 139 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTC-TC] Virtual Community Exchange [CLOSED]  (Read 316309 times)
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:42:58 PM

Why don't you offer the ability to change your deposit address as most bitcoin exchanges offer  Huh

We do.  Wallet page, Deposit/Withdraw Tab, "request new deposit address" button.

Deposit Address(es):    ABC123qxN7FKVHkYUiTV4aJTUeVVqp1Zq

[request new deposit address] (limit 10)

Hope that helps!

matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:45:38 PM

Why don't you offer the ability to change your deposit address as most bitcoin exchanges offer  Huh

We do.  Wallet page, Deposit/Withdraw Tab, "request new deposit address" button.

Hope that helps!

Yeah but you only allowed ten new addresses than that's it no more new address and your stuck with those.  Or am I just being lame  Huh

burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:51:18 PM

Hope that helps!

Yeah but you only allowed ten new addresses than that's it no more new address and your stuck with those.  Or am I just being lame  Huh

I read somewhere that too many addresses gum up the wallet.  I definitely don't want to see performance issues on the hot wallet down the road.

Is this incorrect?

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:53:44 PM

Hope that helps!

I read somewhere that too many addresses gum up the wallet.  I definitely don't want to see performance issues on the hot wallet down the road.

Is this incorrect?

No just one disposable address is fine that can be changed after each tx just like what BITSTAMP and other exchanges offer is what I mean.

parseval

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:54:48 PM

This is a brilliant addition to both BTCJam and BTCT.CO!

One question though...what happens to dividends paid to shares whilst they're being utilized as loan collateral?

I'm pretty curious about this too.  I asked the same question, but haven't heard back yet.  I took out a 30 day loan and put up S.DICE shares as collateral, so I guess we'll find out one way or another.  Also, as a new feature I wouldn't be surprised or discouraged if there were hiccups or changes to how it functions..

Coinflow.co: Charts for BTC-TC, LTC-Global, Bitfunder, Havelock, and MPEx
tip address:  1EmZRimseBWhf5DuSisuhPTRtzejruHp3z
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 09:58:09 PM

This is a brilliant addition to both BTCJam and BTCT.CO!

One question though...what happens to dividends paid to shares whilst they're being utilized as loan collateral?

I'm pretty curious about this too.  I asked the same question, but haven't heard back yet.  I took out a 30 day loan and put up S.DICE shares as collateral, so I guess we'll find out one way or another.  Also, as a new feature I wouldn't be surprised or discouraged if there were hiccups or changes to how it functions..

This is entirely up to BTCJAM, the divs would end up in their holding account.  We're open to adding internal BTC transfer support to the OAuth API, which is what they'd need to pass the divs on to the original owners account.
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 10:02:36 PM

Is this incorrect?

No just one disposable address is fine that can be changed after each tx just like what BITSTAMP and other exchanges offer is what I mean.

I'll do some research, see if I can figure out what bitstamp is using for the backend.  They may not be aware of the wallet growth issue, or they may have a setup where they can swap wallets at will, or maybe they have a wallet per person, or possibly a custom client that has a feature to remove addresses?  Lots of ways to do it, I'm just not sure that we can do any of those.  I've wondered a few times myself how they support that on the backend, so it's definitely worth doing some homework.

Cheers.
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 10:04:30 PM

Is this incorrect?

I'll do some research, see if I can figure out what bitstamp is using for the backend.  They may not be aware of the wallet growth issue, or they may have a setup where they can swap wallets at will, or maybe they have a wallet per person, or possibly a custom client that has a feature to remove addresses?  Lots of ways to do it, I'm just not sure that we can do any of those.  I've wondered a few times myself how they support that on the backend, so it's definitely worth doing some homework.

Cheers.

To be able to have disposable deposit addresses would be a great feature  Grin

matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 10:16:20 PM

Is this incorrect?

Cheers.

To be able to have disposable deposit addresses would be a great feature  Grin

As far as I'm aware BITSTAMP uses a shared wallet like most exchanges.

poly

Activity: 84

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 05:29:56 AM

Hope that helps!

Is this incorrect?

Not really. It doesn't matter if it's 10 transactions to 1 deposit address or 1 transaction each to 10 deposit addresses - it's still 10 transactions stored in the local wallet. Having a lot of addresses / accounts don't impact performance much.

poly | My Tip Jar
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 08:14:15 AM

Is this incorrect?

Not really. It doesn't matter if it's 10 transactions to 1 deposit address or 1 transaction each to 10 deposit addresses - it's still 10 transactions stored in the local wallet. Having a lot of addresses / accounts don't impact performance much.

It's not just live performance I'm worried about.  Everything gets increasingly harder the larger the wallet.dat gets.  Backups take longer.  Backups take more space.  Bitcoind restarts take longer.  etc.

Also, if (just guessing) a transaction is 0.5 K, and an address key pair is 1K, then:

10 transactions to 1 deposit address: 6 kb
10 transactions to 10 deposit addresses: 15 kb

The site has only been up 3 months and without having an address per deposit the wallet.dat is almost 30M.  Sounds like it would be more like 70M going with a separate address per deposit.  Gox must have a massive wallet... or maybe they have a custom bitcoind that uses a SQL backend with sharding.

I did a quick test run, just for fun.  Here's a wallet.dat with just one or two addresses and a few transactions:

92K 2013-02-28 07:54 wallet.dat

Here's the same wallet.dat after doing getnewaddress 1000 times: (for i in `seq 1 1000`; do ./bitcoind getnewaddress; done)

548K 2013-02-28 08:00 wallet.dat

So every 2000 deposits would be ~1M to the wallet.  I know that doesn't seem like much but it quickly multiplies out when you consider that I back up the wallet at fairly short regular intervals.  It quickly becomes a storage nightmare.  Undecided  I'm fairly certain now that I'd need to roll out a custom bitcoind with an alternate "wallet" database backend before I could comfortably support this long-term.

Anyone with insider info at Gox about how they do it?  Wink
poly

Activity: 84

Weighted companion cube

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 01:02:30 PM

Is this incorrect?

It's not just live performance I'm worried about.  Everything gets increasingly harder the larger the wallet.dat gets.  Backups take longer.  Backups take more space.  Bitcoind restarts take longer.  etc.

Also, if (just guessing) a transaction is 0.5 K, and an address key pair is 1K, then:

10 transactions to 1 deposit address: 6 kb
10 transactions to 10 deposit addresses: 15 kb

The site has only been up 3 months and without having an address per deposit the wallet.dat is almost 30M.  Sounds like it would be more like 70M going with a separate address per deposit.  Gox must have a massive wallet... or maybe they have a custom bitcoind that uses a SQL backend with sharding.

I did a quick test run, just for fun.  Here's a wallet.dat with just one or two addresses and a few transactions:

92K 2013-02-28 07:54 wallet.dat

Here's the same wallet.dat after doing getnewaddress 1000 times: (for i in `seq 1 1000`; do ./bitcoind getnewaddress; done)

548K 2013-02-28 08:00 wallet.dat

So every 2000 deposits would be ~1M to the wallet.  I know that doesn't seem like much but it quickly multiplies out when you consider that I back up the wallet at fairly short regular intervals.  It quickly becomes a storage nightmare.  Undecided  I'm fairly certain now that I'd need to roll out a custom bitcoind with an alternate "wallet" database backend before I could comfortably support this long-term.

Anyone with insider info at Gox about how they do it?  Wink

You don't have a dedicated bitcoind server with a quite few gigs of space?

poly | My Tip Jar
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2013, 08:06:22 PM

Of course.  My point is that if the wallet.dat hits even a GB life is really going to suck when I'm trying to keep backups every X minutes and queries to the wallet db take forever.

The wallet is just a BerkleyDB file and unlike most other databases, there's no caching layer on it and as far as I can tell, no safe way to clean out old junk in a bitcoin wallet.

I'll keep looking into it, but it's clear to me that with the stock bitcoind it isn't going to be prudent to roll out fresh addresses per transaction.

Cheers.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
February 28, 2013, 11:24:59 PM

Of course.  My point is that if the wallet.dat hits even a GB life is really going to suck when I'm trying to keep backups every X minutes and queries to the wallet db take forever.

The wallet is just a BerkleyDB file and unlike most other databases, there's no caching layer on it and as far as I can tell, no safe way to clean out old junk in a bitcoin wallet.

I'll keep looking into it, but it's clear to me that with the stock bitcoind it isn't going to be prudent to roll out fresh addresses per transaction.

Cheers.

Yeah, it's not really a good idea to have a massive wallet.dat file. You can always use a coin mixer if you want that much privacy.
matthewh3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 02:12:47 PM

Cheers.

Yeah, it's not really a good idea to have a massive wallet.dat file. You can always use a coin mixer if you want that much privacy.

Other exchanges can do it and for privacy reasons users would prefer not to have wallet addresses tied to their account.

Also have you ever thought of dropping all fees for listing orders and have the people who buy into orders pay all the fee instead.  I think this would encourage traders to put up more listings and improve fluidity.  It's also what the GLBSE did IIRC.

burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 05:19:01 PM

Also have you ever thought of dropping all fees for listing orders and have the people who buy into orders pay all the fee instead.  I think this would encourage traders to put up more listings and improve fluidity.  It's also what the GLBSE did IIRC.

That's a good question.  I have thought about it.  GLBSE when I first started using it did it this way, then it seems like later on it was silently changed to both sides paying.  I remember being pretty pissed when I realized this because I'd stupidly been placing orders that I could have executed right away for just a few satoshi's difference.

It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing.  It could be 0.1% to place an order on the book and 0.3% to execute for instance.  That might be a more balanced approach and still encourage more use of the order book.

What does everyone else think?  Would it really have the intended effect of better liquidity?

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 05:49:42 PM

Also have you ever thought of dropping all fees for listing orders and have the people who buy into orders pay all the fee instead.  I think this would encourage traders to put up more listings and improve fluidity.  It's also what the GLBSE did IIRC.

That's a good question.  I have thought about it.  GLBSE when I first started using it did it this way, then it seems like later on it was silently changed to both sides paying.  I remember being pretty pissed when I realized this because I'd stupidly been placing orders that I could have executed right away for just a few satoshi's difference.

It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing.  It could be 0.1% to place an order on the book and 0.3% to execute for instance.  That might be a more balanced approach and still encourage more use of the order book.

What does everyone else think?  Would it really have the intended effect of better liquidity?

It should be maker/taker (adding liquidity, i.e. limit orders = no fees) Smiley right?
btharper

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2013, 09:17:09 PM

That's a good question.  I have thought about it.  GLBSE when I first started using it did it this way, then it seems like later on it was silently changed to both sides paying.  I remember being pretty pissed when I realized this because I'd stupidly been placing orders that I could have executed right away for just a few satoshi's difference.

It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing.  It could be 0.1% to place an order on the book and 0.3% to execute for instance.  That might be a more balanced approach and still encourage more use of the order book.

What does everyone else think?  Would it really have the intended effect of better liquidity?

As a quick note, how would this impact DRIP purchases when they can't be immediately fulfilled? I'd assume placed on the orderbook for someone else to pay the higher fee on?
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2013, 10:31:28 PM

As a quick note, how would this impact DRIP purchases when they can't be immediately fulfilled? I'd assume placed on the orderbook for someone else to pay the higher fee on?

The DRIP behavior right now is that it continues to build up until it sees an order fitting the existing DRIP criteria, in which case the trade gets executed.  When it was first setup I had considered having it place orders, rather than just waiting, but I wasn't sure that was a good idea.  It would have to place the order at the max you specify you're willing to pay and when there's not a lot of volume you would potentially end up overpaying.

Thinking about it though, it's probably better to have the DRIP place orders, because then someone might fill them, you never know.  Plus then the currency would be on reserve and you wouldn't be quite as likely to forget that the DRIP is in place and doing it's thing.

endlesscustoms

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 04:47:37 AM

hey  something is up i try to log in i get   

Error:

Xcoind backend failure in getbalance at 774

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 139 »
  Print  

Jump to: