Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:36:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What do people around you think about Bitcoin ?  (Read 42928 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:41:06 PM

So, what do people around you (relatives, co-workers, co-ed, friends...) think about Bitcoin ? Please, indicate your country, so this way I'll be able to make a synthesis about what people think about Bitcoin.

For me : I come from France. My relatives think that it's criminals' tool and that since they can't touch money they don't trust it (note that those same persons are pro-banks, where you can't touch money). My friends think that it is useless and that it has no future. Both of them agree that scare them the most is the Bictoin's price volatibility.

So not so positive Undecided. I hope that you aren't in the same situation.
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jertsy

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:49:21 PM

I found computer illiterate members of the older generation of pensioners haven't heard about Bitcoin. The ones who refuse to go near a computer don't understand the concept when you try explaining it to them. They stop you half way through your explanation, ask "is it something to do with computers", then refuse to listen to any more of your explanation.
rally

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:53:03 PM

I don't know. I never talk about it at my work.
Nobody has mentioned it as well.
I think most of the people i know, don't know the existance of bitcoin.

ivanst776
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:53:39 PM

Around me people don't know much about bitcoin but those who know some of them think that bitcoin is illegal and some other think as an usual digital currency like others.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 07:54:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your answers. Please add the country you come from. Sadly it seems that your in the same situation as me Undecided...
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:03:06 PM

The people around me aren't really tech minded. They know about Bitcoin, but more the media version of it. It's quite difficult to convince them that the media is wrong.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:06:42 PM

People just don't seem to know and I don't talk about it much.  I asked one of my database developer friend in Seattle what he and his friends (20 and 30 somethings) thought about Bitcoin and he said he did not know about it and none of his friends had mentioned it.  I was surprised that among that age group, and in Seattle, that they were not privy to it.  I told him to do some research.  I just don't think many people know - which might be good news that the price is as high as it is with not much exposure.

I love Bitcoin
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:08:05 PM

I'm from The Netherlands and most people around me think they are too late to join the party and that all the gains have been made already.
Next, they keep asking me how it is doing when the price was dropping down from 1200, and after that they never mention it anymore.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:09:42 PM

The people around me aren't really tech minded. They know about Bitcoin, but more the media version of it. It's quite difficult to convince them that the media is wrong.

Ok, I understand. So, according to you, bad image of Bitcoin comes from the medias ? Where do you come from (New-York maybe ?) ? From a developped country I guess, to have your medias talking about it. Also it seems that Bitcoin si too "geeky" for common people.

People just don't seem to know and I don't talk about it much.  I asked one of my database developer friend in Seattle what he and his friends (20 and 30 somethings) thought about Bitcoin and he said he did not know about it and none of his friends had mentioned it.  I was surprised that among that age group, and in Seattle, that they were not privy to it.  I told him to do some research.  I just don't think many people know - which might be good news that the price is as high as it is with not much exposure.

Yeah, I think that major Bitcoin's lack is exposure. Unfortunatly, like richardsNY told it, most of the time, when medias talk about it, that's regarding to drug traffic or fraud Undecided...

I'm from The Netherlands and most people around me think they are too late to join the party and that all the gains have been made already.
Next, they keep asking me how it is doing when the price was dropping down from 1200, and after that they never mention it anymore.

So it seems that people just care about making profit. I've never heard that "it was too late to join the party", interesting.
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2015, 08:14:03 PM

mmm, mostly of them are just expectant, i mean they know im involved in this world but that's all, ofc that i already explained to most of them what is bitcoin ( well at least a simple introduction... if this can be simple Tongue ) but they continue to stay away from it.

Few of them already start to show some interest about bitcoin world and everytime i meet them we ended up talking about it Wink

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:15:10 PM

Ok, I understand. So, according to you, bad image of Bitcoin comes from the medias ? Where do you come from (New-York maybe ?) ? From a developped country I guess, to have your medias talking about it. Also it seems that Bitcoin si too "geeky" for common people.

People just don't seem to know and I don't talk about it much.  I asked one of my database developer friend in Seattle what he and his friends (20 and 30 somethings) thought about Bitcoin and he said he did not know about it and none of his friends had mentioned it.  I was surprised that among that age group, and in Seattle, that they were not privy to it.  I told him to do some research.  I just don't think many people know - which might be good news that the price is as high as it is with not much exposure.

Yeah, I think that major Bitcoin's lack is exposure. Unfortunatly, like richardsNY told it, most of the time, when medias talk about it, that's regarding to drug traffic or fraud Undecided...

So it seems that people just care about making profit. I've never heard that "it was too late to join the party", interesting.

Once the media start to cover Bitcoin related news, it always goes like this - Criminals use Bitcoin to extort companies, Bitcoin is the top currency for terrorists etc. They haven't said anything about the features that Bitcoin has that will benefit the people. According to them Bitcoin is the currency of criminals and terrorists only.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:19:08 PM

Once the media start to cover Bitcoin related news, it always goes like this - Criminals use Bitcoin to extort companies, Bitcoin is the top currency for terrorists etc. They haven't said anything about the features that Bitcoin has that will benefit the people. According to them Bitcoin is the currency of criminals and terrorists only.

Yeah, that's true. Also, don't forget that is used for money laundering Wink ! Sadly they don't bring us some new members (this is a bit sectary to talk like this Cheesy)...
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:20:18 PM

I have had mixed reactions. Some were very skeptical and wondering why they would need it. One claimed "it makes no sense" and  "value based on nothing". Others were positive  about it.

Everyone had opinions about it but no one knew what they wer talking about  Grin

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:20:25 PM

It's the same all over the world; people know and believe what they are told by the media headlines.
Most of my colleagues believe it's a scheme of sorts, and when you try to explain it to them, they either don't understand, or say something like : "If it's so good, why doesn't everybody use it, there has to a catch"
The problem is that average Joe doesn't even know basics of financial system, and therefore can't understand that it needs to change.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:24:29 PM

Thank you everyone to have replied me. Most of the time people are not aware of it or think that is a bad thing. This come from two reasons : medias are not pro-Bitcoin and Bitcoin si still too "geeky". Please guys, think about adding your country.
yun9999

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:42:45 PM

I'm a newbie to Bitcoin.  Any good forum post to look at beside the 1 newbie post?
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2015, 08:45:30 PM

I find it difficult to explain it to people in a simple way. So I think they are mostly confused about it.
Usually I just give up trying to explain all the technical aspects and say it's magic internet money Cheesy

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

This is completely different and depends on who I'm talking to.
Guys who studied computer science mostly got it and can see the potential.But they are still heavily influenced by the media and aren't brave enough to buy.
Guys who have studied economics think it's a scam! Cheesy
But most of them are just stupied.I mean they bearly have a clue how money really works.Isn't that disappointing?
This is like "you get teached what you have to know and that's it".Crazy!
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:48:05 PM

Yeah, that's true. Also, don't forget that is used for money laundering Wink ! Sadly they don't bring us some new members (this is a bit sectary to talk like this Cheesy)...

I think that if people take the time to research it more and discover the amazing things it can do for the world as far as currency, then they might jump on board.  Ironically my mom, who is in her 70s, is going to buy her first Bitcoin around Christmas.  She has listened to me about it for months and seems to grasp the possibilities.  She likes it!  But I am still surprised at my Seattle techie friends for not knowing anything about it.  

I love Bitcoin
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
December 08, 2015, 08:49:11 PM

Just TWO people I personally know have expressed any interest in BTC (only one who actually has more than $5.00 worth).

USA.

My best guess why "my crowd" is not interested is that it is still too hard to use.  Most people I know are over 40 yrs old.  But even our daughter and her husband (29) show zero interest.

FWIW...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »
  Print  

Jump to: