Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:39:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which is better? Monero or Dash?
Monero - 128 (63.7%)
Dash - 73 (36.3%)
Total Voters: 201

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Honestly, which is better? Monero or Dash?  (Read 35892 times)
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:34:06 PM

transfer <mixin> <Deposit Address> <amount>

<mixin> is optional, and you will get a reasonable default, so you can just

transfer <address> <amount>

Seems difficult huh?

I haven't looked at the details of this, but on the general conceptual point if there is any command line crap, then you are not going to get mainstream adoption.

Everything has to be dummy-proof. Meaning a dummy can't do it wrong even if they try to.

Perhaps Dash folks might be aspiring to the masses and they may have some astute insight into what is acceptable for such a market.

Dash doesn't have the sound technology to scale to millions of users on instant microtransactions in mass-scale. It would blow up.

I know how to program for dummies. I have marketed easy-as-pie software to millions of users. And I am preparing to do it again, this time in crypto currency. My marketing will address nuances that afaics no one else has in the crypto land.

So I think the Dash folks will find it irresistible to head over my way once I have a million users and Dash still only has some 100s of wide-eyed speculators.

But I understand they want to speak about what is available now, not what some guy is pumping out of his mouth.

Monero is a very actively developed coin where a major rewrite of the code has occurred over the last year, but in order to benefit from this one has to compile the code from source.

My mind is blown! Do these monerotards have any clue about user friendliness! Compile binaries from source (my gf wouldn't have any clue what binaries and source are)! Are you fucking kidding. That is ridiculous beyond ridiculous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
busterzzz

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:42:43 PM

Seems difficult huh?

busterzzz is making a valid point. The current official Monero binaries are over one year old, require over 9.2 GB of RAM, a 64bit processor and OS, and crash every few days. If one actually compiles from source then of course the situation is radically improved one actually gets a very lean, robust and efficient cli wallet that when synchronized requires approximately 100 MB of RAM. It also runs on both 32bit and 64 bit processors and operating systems.

Monero is a very actively developed coin where a major rewrite of the code has occurred over the last year, but in order to benefit from this one has to compile the code from source.  

Edit: This is the real place to get Monero software; https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

I probably shouldn't act in a passive aggressive manner I'm just over it (both parties involved). I would rather see discussion that is positive and collaborative. I've tried to express this before but got shot down.

Anyways I'm *going to attempt to compile monero from source again, as I am not that much of a layman I can give it a try using the link you pasted above. I will report back honestly and fairly because its best if I give this another go instead of giving up.

Divide and Conquer, some other group of people will come out on top while people sit here arguing about bs.

*edit 1 typo
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:52:43 PM

Divide and Conquer, some other group of people will come out on top while people sit here arguing about bs.

Please elaborate?

Who cares which coin comes out on top as long as it meets the objectives of fulfilling the goals of our idealism for crypto?

You place your investment clique at a higher priority than that? That was the attitude problem of why I didn't want to help Monero. It is all about guarding the perimeter and not about finding the most creative and efficient path of experimentation to achieve the goals of our idealism.

To the person or group who can get crypto into the hands of the masses and who can get the scalable technology correct, then more power to him or them and hope they become very wealthy for the risk and effort they incurred.

Competition brings out the best. Perimeters and defending vested interests is retardation paradigm.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:54:13 PM

My mind is blown! Do these monerotards have any clue about user friendliness! Compile binaries from source (my gf wouldn't have any clue what binaries and source are)! Are you fucking kidding. That is ridiculous beyond ridiculous.

... but just think about this for a moment. One can compile the Monero binaries from source for various platforms, and post links to the compiled binaries here on BCT thereby demonstrating how Monero fails the Howey test.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 08:57:15 PM

... but just think about this for a moment. One can compile the Monero binaries from source for various platforms, and post links to the compiled binaries here on BCT thereby demonstrating how Monero fails the Howey test.

You are referring to the discussion we were having in another thread.

IMO you still do not understand the Howey test. I will discuss it with you in the other thread.

busterzzz

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 09:18:44 PM

Please elaborate?

Who cares which coin comes out on top as long as it meets the objectives of fulfilling the goals of our idealism for crypto?

You place your investment clique at a higher priority than that? That was the attitude problem of why I didn't want to help Monero. It is all about guarding the perimeter and not about finding the most creative and efficient path of experimentation to achieve the goals of our idealism.

To the person or group who can get crypto into the hands of the masses and who can get the scalable technology correct, then more power to him or them and hope they become very wealthy for the risk and effort they incurred.

Competition brings out the best. Perimeters and defending vested interests is retardation paradigm.

Competition brings out the best, I agree. Threads like these aren't competitive in the sense that things are getting done. There are some quality post but most of it is banter back and forth. Competitive would be Evan and Fluffyponyza going on a podcast and debating their side's of the coin.

These threads do nothing but divide people who could otherwise collaborate in a meaningful way. My comment about another coin coming out on top probably wasn't necessary because you are right, it doesn't matter as long as the winner has the technology we desire.

Also please humor me. What is my investment clique?
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 09:24:08 PM
Last edit: December 21, 2015, 10:03:36 PM by TPTB_need_war

I thought perhaps you were aligned with Monero or Dash or both and were not receptive to whom ever can advance the technology and development.

From your clarification, it seems you are not defending vested interests.

Well not much will come from any of it. The only people that will change anything will be those who are coding. I doubt we will get fundamental changes from those who've already being doing it the way they do it for 2 years. But my crystal ball might be wrong about the future. If we are expecting the future to be a repeat of past patterns, then no one should listen to me because what have I done but talk.

I just wanted to make sure we as a community are open to change.

Thanks.

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 10:34:37 PM

Seems difficult huh?

busterzzz is making a valid point. The current official Monero binaries are over one year old, require over 9.2 GB of RAM, a 64bit processor and OS, and crash every few days. If one actually compiles from source then of course the situation is radically improved one actually gets a very lean, robust and efficient cli wallet that when synchronized requires approximately 100 MB of RAM. It also runs on both 32bit and 64 bit processors and operating systems.

Edit: This is the real place to get Monero software; https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

I probably shouldn't act in a passive aggressive manner I'm just over it (both parties involved). I would rather see discussion that is positive and collaborative. I've tried to express this before but got shot down.

Anyways I'm *going to attempt to compile monero from source again, as I am not that much of a layman I can give it a try using the link you pasted above. I will report back honestly and fairly because its best if I give this another go instead of giving up.

*edit 1 typo

Compiling instructions that might help you -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652305.msg12033096#msg12033096

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:10:12 PM

Please elaborate?

Competition brings out the best, I agree. Threads like these aren't competitive in the sense that things are getting done. There are some quality post but most of it is banter back and forth. Competitive would be Evan and Fluffyponyza going on a podcast and debating their side's of the coin.

These threads do nothing but divide people who could otherwise collaborate in a meaningful way. My comment about another coin coming out on top probably wasn't necessary because you are right, it doesn't matter as long as the winner has the technology we desire.

Concerning the debate between Evan and fluffypony I would be shocked if Evan actually agreed to do it. Honestly I would like to be proven wrong because I think Evan would never agree to that as he would likely get destroyed in a debate.

Let the dash guys run to their leader to tell him about this.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

busterzzz

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:22:36 PM

Seems difficult huh?

*edit 1 typo

Compiling instructions that might help you -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=652305.msg12033096#msg12033096

sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev
gives me
Package libboost1.55-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libboost1.55-dev' has no installation candidate

sudo apt-get install libboost1.55-all-dev
gives me
E: Unable to locate package libboost1.55-dev
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libboost1.55-all-dev'

I proceeded to install other dependencies without libboost1.55,
download zip from here https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero
extract zip.
open terminal cd to directory.

make
all is well until this
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:45 (message):
  Could not find Boost libraries, please make sure you have installed
  Boost or libboost-all-dev (1.53 or 1.55+) or the equivalent
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:409 (die)

which obviously has to do with error above.

Edit - sorry not 100% sure how to do formatting here and posted this before I look into the buttons at top. Hope you can read it.
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:37:26 PM

try

aptitude search libboost

and see what the most recent version you can get is.

AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:53:49 PM

Seems difficult huh?

A few months ago I posted this:

Yesterday, while searching some other stuff, I bumped into zram for linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram

This can be handy for Monero if some older linux boxes have limited RAM. In general purpose use I'm seeing compression ratios of 2-3x, meaning that a single gb of ram is turned into 2-3gb. It has a tradeoff with cpu power (as it requires cpu to compress/decompress the data on the fly) but the cpu will be much faster than swapping data to the hard disk. It's a no brainer.

...yet got no feedback on actual use, or anyone trying it?

Sure, it's a massive workaround and one shouldn't need THAT many resources, but give it a try.

My current ram compression ratio goes like that:

zramswap-stat
compr_data_size: 220897 KiB
orig_data_size:  695748 KiB
compression-ratio: 3.14

It's quite useful if it relieves hdd swapping which makes the system crawl.

In theory zram could also be used for running dash masternodes with limited RAM.
busterzzz

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:54:25 PM

try

aptitude search libboost

and see what the most recent version you can get is.

It's 58 now, should bump that post you recommended with the new version.

Got that dependency installed now moving on. 67%, this is taking a while. I'm gonna move over to the help thread if I have any more questions, feel like im getting 'off topic'.
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 11:58:27 PM

I am just amazed that you guys are talking techno gibberish in a thread about Dash vs. Monero. You make a very strong case for Dash by doing that.

Users don't want to have to know what libboost or zram is. Of course this is interesting to you geeks, but it is not at all interesting to the masses. If I even mention one or two words like that, my gf starts to yawn and get sleepy. Lol.

I am just wondering if you guys are clueless or don't care or more likely you just acting like geeks sharing good vibes by talking techshop. I understand that, but I also understand marketing.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 02:35:01 AM
Last edit: December 22, 2015, 05:41:59 AM by smooth

sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev
gives me
Package libboost1.55-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.

What version of boost you use isn't that important as long as it is not 1.54, which had a bug. At one time (maybe still) 1.54 was the default version in some popular Linux distros so the install instructions specify 1.55.  Anything newer is okay too. That should be updated in the README.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 02:35:43 AM

I am just amazed that you guys are talking techno gibberish in a thread about Dash vs. Monero. You make a very strong case for Dash by doing that.

Users don't want to have to know what libboost or zram is. Of course this is interesting to you geeks, but it is not at all interesting to the masses. If I even mention one or two words like that, my gf starts to yawn and get sleepy. Lol.

I am just wondering if you guys are clueless or don't care or more likely you just acting like geeks sharing good vibes by talking techshop. I understand that, but I also understand marketing.

As you've pointed out there isn't a whole lot of useful marketing that can really take place on this forum.
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 02:45:01 AM

As you've pointed out there isn't a whole lot of useful marketing that can really take place on this forum.

And isn't the Monero plan to market the technology when it is tested and a nice shiny official GUI (dummy-proof as TPTB puts it) can be downloaded for the masses with no hiccups or over-reaching promises to get in the way of the first experience? Probably a better strategy than market first and hope you can build it later (but that's just like my opinion).

Paritor

Activity: 405
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 08:25:51 AM

Dash has master nodes, if all the master nodes are taken out, will it survive?

▄▄████████▄▄
  ▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄
 ▄█▀   ▄████▄   ▀█▄               ▄▄██████▄▄
▄█▀    ██████    ▀█▄             ▄█▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀█▄
██     ▀████▀     ██            ▄█▀  ████  ▀█▄
██     ▄▄▄▄▄▄     ██            ██    ▀▀    ██
██    ████████    ██            ▀█▄ ▄████▄ ▄█▀
▀█▄  ██████████  ▄█▀             ▀█▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄█▀
 ▀█▄ ▀████████▀ ▄█▀               ████████▀▀
  ▀██▄▄ ▀▀▀▀ ▄▄██▀               ██
    ▀▀████████▀▀██▄             ██
                 ▀██ ▄▄██████▄▄██
                   ███▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀██▄
                  ▄█▀   ████   ▀█▄
                  ██    ▀██▀    ██
                  ██    ▄▄▄▄    ██
                  ▀█▄  ██████  ▄█▀
                   ▀██▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄██▀
                     ▀▀██████▀▀
REPME

██  ▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀  ██

██  ▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀▄██
  ▄██▀
██▀  ██
TRANSPARENT LINKING & SOCIAL RECRUITING WILL
DOMINATE THE GLOBAL HR INDUSTRY
cryptodromeda (OP)

Activity: 212

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 08:44:55 AM

Or that the masternodes are simply handed over to another power.

It's funny - I remember back around 2005 when Yahoo! sold all of its archived email servers to the DoD. I remember thinking "Damn! How can they do that!? Surely there must be laws against this kind of thing??"

It seems sadly not, and the email archives were indeed sold. Turns out Yahoo! is a private company and can do what it wants. Money talks and governments buy.

On a separate note, I think Evan Duffield should take a polygraph. If the instamine is true, that means he is now a millionaire (1.6m USD approx) as a result of a deception.

Fuck that shit.

It's a kind of blindness that reason alone cannot cure.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:01:59 AM

Or that the masternodes are simply handed over to another power.

It's funny - I remember back around 2005 when Yahoo! sold all of its archived email servers to the DoD. I remember thinking "Damn! How can they do that!? Surely there must be laws against this kind of thing??"

It seems sadly not, and the email archives were indeed sold. Turns out Yahoo! is a private company and can do what it wants. Money talks and governments buy.

On a separate note, I think Evan Duffield should take a polygraph. If the instamine is true, that means he is now a millionaire (1.6m USD approx) as a result of a deception.

Fuck that shit.

The instamine isn't  in dispute- Evan and everyone else admits it happened. If it was intentional or not  and what happened to all the coins IS in dispute.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: