Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:40:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 [361] 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 ... 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201066 times)
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 10:44:11 PM

So at times it can be unprofitable to stake ? If the ticket price is too high? ...still trying to learn all of this.

Ticket fee is per Kb.
A block currently has just over 500 bytes, so the price placed to fee, isn't the amount that will be discounted from your prize.
If you set a 1.5DCR ticket fee, you will actually pay a little over half that, around 0.85DCR.

imo for that purpose and for lazy ones there is always https://evolution.dcrstats.com/en pool that takes care of it automaticly, only settings you need to set are max ticket price you are wiling to pay and max fee. easy

Some things need to be cleared up.
Traditional stake pools don't require trust.
There is no risk of a hacker attack stealing your coins or someone running away with them. Because they are not in the pool, they are still with you in your wallet.
In evolution you need trust.
You actually send your coins there and you can lose them If something bad happens
Evolution isn't an official service offered by Decred's devteam, it's a side project, created by the dcrstats pool owner, who is just a member of the community like all of us.

Interesting, thank you. So how to join a traditional stake pool? Is it all done from cli wallet?

Lots of good stats about Decred here: https://dcrstats.com/ At the bottom of the main page, you will also see a list of stake pools for decred, and some info about each.  Just select one, and follow the instructions from that stake pool.  IMO, they all have pretty good instructions.

Also, while it's true you need to trust the operator of the Evolution service, he is a good standing, active community member and many people use that service because of it's simplicity and effectiveness.  Even if you decide not to use it, I'd encourage you to check it out.  The UI alone gives a good idea of how voting "works".

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 12, 2017, 10:50:24 PM

The PoW difficulty chart is starting to look like Ethereum's did before the price boom  Cheesy Cheesy

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
rotzbouf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 07:32:39 AM

The PoW difficulty chart is starting to look like Ethereum's did before the price boom  Cheesy Cheesy

This is the most amazing project I have seen since long, great community and great dev team.

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
|⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛
bspus
Legendary

Activity: 2165
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 07:44:27 AM

I was trying to buy tickets a few hours ago, through the command line as I usually do. For solo mining

But this time, something went wrong with the transactions. It complained that the address does not exist or something.
But it's the same address I always use. I have batch files ready that I have used for months, no chance of a typo.

It seems one ticket transaction went through, but another three didn't and the coins have disappeared from my balance. In fact for all 4 transactions.
I am now almost 145 below what I should be in balance and have 1 ownmempoolticks in getstakeinfo

I restarted daemon and wallet but it didn't help.

What can I do? Is it possible that the coins just vanished?

I'll link this to slack as well to increase my chances of getting an answer

Penttikuisma

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 08:52:10 AM

I was trying to buy tickets a few hours ago, through the command line as I usually do. For solo mining

But this time, something went wrong with the transactions. It complained that the address does not exist or something.
But it's the same address I always use. I have batch files ready that I have used for months, no chance of a typo.

It seems one ticket transaction went through, but another three didn't and the coins have disappeared from my balance. In fact for all 4 transactions.
I am now almost 145 below what I should be in balance and have 1 ownmempoolticks in getstakeinfo

Have you already tried to recreate your wallet from seed?
Alexoz

Activity: 248
Merit: 250

One World

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2017, 10:19:01 AM

Mannnnn I'm stoked about v0.8.0.

It's not often that you get to witness a "first ever" scenario in crypto these days.

Yup, I guess we are +20k people to know about Decred. I just wonder to know how few we are to know about v0.8.0 and its purpose...

Compression volume/price + v0.8.0 Mouahahaha It's gunna pop-up!

bitpotter

Activity: 1451
Merit: 258

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 11:03:57 AM

Looks good at this momemt... Hope we the best...

DCR will be comeback to 400k sat Cheesy
yoohoo309

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 12:54:26 PM

Mannnnn I'm stoked about v0.8.0.

It's not often that you get to witness a "first ever" scenario in crypto these days.

Ha! That's true: this will be the first of it's kind in a voting consensus matter. Pretty stoked Grin

now i have pretty faith in this and it can be a good moral lesson for all.
bspus
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 01:33:52 PM

I figure at this point, either the coins are safe and a reseed will show them (most likely scenario) or they are lost somehow (unlikely though)

Since the new wallet will be released very soon I'll just wait for it and do a reseed and also sync from scratch

Penttikuisma

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

I figure at this point, either the coins are safe and a reseed will show them (most likely scenario) or they are lost somehow (unlikely though)

Since the new wallet will be released very soon I'll just wait for it and do a reseed and also sync from scratch

I don't believe that you have lost anything. The coins won't leave your wallet, when purchasing tickets. When you recreate wallet, just make sure, that daemon is fully synced before reseed.
bspus
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 02:33:59 PM

btw, if I want to run the daemon and wallet on two separate machines (different location and ISPs) would that cause a problem?

I will be staking on both too

Penttikuisma

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 02:55:30 PM

btw, if I want to run the daemon and wallet on two separate machines (different location and ISPs) would that cause a problem?

I have only used similar setup (daemon and wallet on separate machines) trough LAN. But if your wallet is succesfully connected to daemon trough rpc, i don't see any problem there. Maybe you should ask devs in slack about that, to be sure.
rotzbouf

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:02:19 PM

is release 0.8.0 already out. Just checked on the official decred forum and it still says 0.7.0

П    |⧛ ☛  Join the signature campaign and earn free PI daily!  ✅ |⧛    П
|⧛         ☛  PiCoin - get in now  ✅     ☛ No ICO!  ✅          |⧛
bspus
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:34:27 PM

I have only used similar setup (daemon and wallet on separate machines) trough LAN. But if your wallet is succesfully connected to daemon trough rpc, i don't see any problem there. Maybe you should ask devs in slack about that, to be sure.

I did not phrase this correctly. Sorry about that.

What I meant is I want to run a daemon and a wallet on one machine and on the other machine, another instance of the daemon and that same wallet.

I'll ask on slack too

Penttikuisma

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 03:44:53 PM

I did not phrase this correctly. Sorry about that.

What I meant is I want to run a daemon and a wallet on one machine and on the other machine, another instance of the daemon and that same wallet.

I'll ask on slack too

If you use same seed on two wallets, yes it causes issues. Use different wallet in another one.
algreen

Activity: 403

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 04:39:39 PM

Hope Decred wallet v 0.8.0 will be released tonight. I want to try new features and buy some tickets from the new wallet. Its really the long-awaited update in Decred history.
B8888

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 07:26:01 PM

Here I wrote out 8 points why I like DCR, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1788901.0 feel free to read brothers.
Alexoz

Activity: 248

One World

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2017, 10:37:42 PM

Here I wrote out 8 points why I like DCR, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1788901.0 feel free to read brothers.

Nice to see your point of view!!!  Let's upgrade now, I can't wait XD

dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2017, 11:40:21 PM

https://twitter.com/decredproject/status/831285069813788672

BIG update just dropped.

https://forum.decred.org/threads/dd-21-v0-8-0-02-13-17.5111/

A lot has happened in the past several weeks since the 0.7.0 release of Decred. On the valuation front, the exchange rate has gone up substantially from a low of approximately USD 0.43 on December 28th to an all-time-high of USD 3.31 on February 5th, which has since settled around USD 2.50. The number of downloads of binaries from GitHub for the 0.7.0 release has gone up by a factor of 5 or more, and we have a substantially larger number of users in Slack and other chat channels. This substantial improvement in valuation, exposure and community engagement is due mainly to our recent work with several marketing contractors via the dev org, DHG, which I will say more about below.

Beyond matters related to Decred's valuation, there has been substantial progress on several of our software projects and with their documentation. The bulk of the code needed to enable hard fork voting has been completed, and it will be demonstrated live on testnet over the next few weeks, via a corresponding website that shows its progress. A substantial design overhaul has been completed during the past several months, which includes a new logo and changes to every project website. decrediton, the cross platform GUI, has made a huge amount of progress, going from an alpha project to a solid beta in a single release. Paymetheus, the native Windows wallet, now uses the new stakepool API integration to simplify setting up ticket buying with a stakepool. Several additions and updates have been made to the Decred documentation site by documentation contractors. More detailed descriptions of our progress can be found below.

Marketing, Documentation and Development Contractors

Per the recent 2017 Decred Roadmap, a deliverables-driven RFP process did not end up working out very well, so we have since changed our RFP process to be need-driven by domain. The dev org, DHG, has contracted 5 people to do marketing, 2 to do documentation and 3 to do development work. So far, this arrangement is working out very well and has led to substantial progress on the marketing and documentation fronts.

The marketing contractors have met with considerable success in increasing awareness, engagement and generally creating demand for decred. The puzzles created by @coin_artist have been particularly effective at drawing new users to our Slack channels and creating a general buzz about Decred. The efforts of @Daniel, @Emilio Mann, @Tivra and @Dyrk have served to grow our community, engage new users, create additional demand, support regional markets and broaden our social media support. Overall, this marketing work has been very successful to date.

The documentation and development contractors have started doing work more recently, so they haven't had as much time as the marketing contractors to get their deliverables flowing. @gratefulcheddar and @Shadowlance have been pushing out a lot of new and updated documentation over the past few weeks, and their output should become much more apparent over the next few months as they shore up the Decred documentation. @karamble has pushed out a lot of web development work in the past couple weeks, which has made an otherwise monolithic release much more manageable. @raedah has submitted several pull requests that improve dcrwallet's ticketbuyer, which should lead to improvements in the fee market for tickets. We expect the contributions from our documentation and development contractors to become more apparent in the coming months.

Substantial Design Update

A design overhaul of Decred was initiated in RFP-7 several months ago with @linnutee, and it is being brought to completion with the 0.8.0 release. The work includes a new logo, design updates for every project website and a branding package for other Decred-related projects to use. As you can imagine, updating every website the project maintains is a pretty daunting task, so beyond @linnutee and sander doing all the design and coding, we had @karamble integrate and audit their work, and @Shadowlance contributed text copy in several places.

For those who are interested in the details of this work, I recommend you give @linnutee's recent Medium post a read.

Hard Fork Voting Demo

While it's certainly less tangible than a surge in the exchange rate, the core of Decred is based around decentralization as a process, and the first major step in that process, hard fork voting, has been prepared for a demo on testnet. Stakeholders will soon have the ability to vote on defined issues in dcrwallet, and this will allow Decred to episodically hard fork based on how its stakeholders vote. If 75% or more of the stakeholders vote “yes” for a given issue during a voting period, it will go into effect approximately 4 weeks later (on mainnet), and this includes “hard fork” consensus changes. Getting this code ready has been particularly challenging since it is all consensus-related code, which is notoriously unforgiving when it comes to bugs.

The testnet demo has an accompanying webpage that allows users to watch each step in the voting process occur. We chose to have a single issue for the demo, to increase the block size from 1 MiB to 1.25 MB, and we felt this was appropriate since the block size has been so contentious for Bitcoin. There are 3 stages to hard fork voting, which is reflected on the demo website, and this process draws from some parts of the BIP0009 soft fork process from Bitcoin. First, Proof-of-Work miners must update their dcrds to the latest release until a threshold percentage, 75% in the case of testnet, of blocks in a rolling window show the new block version in their header. Second, Proof-of-Stake miners, i.e. stakeholders, must update their voting wallets to the latest release of dcrwallet until a threshold percentage, 75% for testnet, of votes in blocks in a fixed window show the new vote version. At the end of the first interval with 75% or greater support for the new vote version, the stake version is incremented to the new version and a voting period begins. Once a voting period comes to an end, any issues that receive 75% or greater 'yes' votes are considered complete and will become active after a lock-in period. Issues that receive 75% or greater 'no' votes are considered dead and will not be voted on further. If an issue does not receive a 75% or greater vote either direction, the issue remains up for voting in future voting periods until an expiration time is reached. The process of upgrading PoW miners, PoS miners and voting will occur on an ongoing episodic basis and allow Decred's consensus code to evolve over time, according to the will of its stakeholders. We estimate that it will take 3-6 weeks for the testnet demo to have the block size increase voted in and for the hard fork to occur, so users can stop by and check the progress on the webpage.

Major GUI Wallet Progress

Until this release, only Windows users had the option of running a self-contained GUI wallet with Paymetheus, so we are pleased to announce that decrediton, a cross platform GUI wallet, is ready for use on Linux and OS X. decrediton now supports all the basic wallet functions and delivers most of what users would expect a GUI wallet: it is simple to install, has a graphical setup wizard, can restore from existing wallet seeds, and can send and receive payments. Considering that the 0.7.0 release of decrediton was in a very much “alpha” state, this release constitutes a huge leap forwards in terms of improved user experience.

Beyond the decrediton progress, Paymetheus has added support for a new stake pool integration API, which simplifies the process of using a stake pool with Paymetheus. Once a user has registered an account at a stake pool, they can copy an API key from their stake pool login into Paymetheus, and then Paymetheus handles the rest of the stake pool setup. Prior to adding this API to stake pools, the user would have to generate a pubkey, copy and paste it to the stakepool, hit a button, and then copy and paste the multisig address back into Paymetheus. We had originally wanted to make even signup for a stake pool possible via this API, however, this created an obvious Denial-of-Service vector and had to be removed. The new process for using a stake pool is much less error prone and avoids confusion on part of users, so it is a notable improvement.

By the next release, both Paymetheus and decrediton will support automatic ticket buying and have an interface for users to set their voting preferences. Between this release and the next, we will make minor releases that include these new features in the GUI wallets, so that users can test them and give us feedback. We will announce these minor releases and provide updated binaries to make it easy for everyone to test out the new features as they are added.

Public keys

The file cmd/dcrinstall/pubkey.go contains the decred public key which is used to check the signed manifest in the release. You can compare the contents of this file to what you get from a keyserver to confirm that dcrinstaller is using the proper key.
dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 14, 2017, 12:03:46 AM

Also, make sure to check out Decred's AMAZING new look.

https://decred.org/
Pages: « 1 ... 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 [361] 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 ... 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: