Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:30:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 ... 555 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network  (Read 1201066 times)
Hyperjacked
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1119

It's all mathematics...!

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 06:46:33 PM

Decred v0.7.0 is out!  See our forum for more details: https://forum.decred.org/threads/dd-20-v0-7-0-12-26-16.4702/

Nice! Cheers!

@Hyperjacked1 Twitter

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dcrstats

Activity: 714
Merit: 529

View Profile
December 26, 2016, 08:15:36 PM

I do agree about "too much development" in the sense, that devs promised us a hardfork voting this year, but this is not happened. And it seems that we need few more months for this.

Meanwhile, they started this brand new GUI wallet trying to stabilise the exchange rate. It looks to me like some kind of "panic development" and it goes way far from the announced roadmap.
jcv

Activity: 34
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2016, 12:29:40 AM

I do agree about "too much development" in the sense, that devs promised us a hardfork voting this year, but this is not happened. And it seems that we need few more months for this.

Meanwhile, they started this brand new GUI wallet trying to stabilise the exchange rate. It looks to me like some kind of "panic development" and it goes way far from the announced roadmap.

We have always said that we planned on a cross platform wallet.  Paymetheus is very nice, but many of the devs (me for example) don't use windows at all so we've wanted a GUI on the OSes we use.
dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 04:25:38 AM

From Decred Forums:

It was mentioned on slack/IRC that this DD was technical and didn't make the release tangible for the layperson. Here's a breakdown of the most important parts of this release.

Stake version soft fork

In order to enable hard fork voting, we implement a soft fork that makes use of the existing block version in block headers, vote version and the stake version in block headers. Those familiar with Bitcoin may be aware that soft forks are implemented via the block version in the block header, where the network begins enforcing and rejecting blocks of lower version at certain activation thresholds, e.g. if 75% of the blocks in a trailing window of 1000 blocks are version 3, blocks with version less than 3 are rejected by the network. This process is entirely controlled by the PoW miners, so in Bitcoin, this process depends only on the PoW miners and not the rest of the network. In Decred, we require a second version in the block header to enable hard fork voting, called the stake version, and this version being incremented corresponds to the start of voting on a new set of issues that are encoded in votebits that are part of each vote cast by stakeholders. Decred uses the existing Bitcoin method for incrementing the block version in its block headers, but to increment the stake version, the block version must already be incremented and 75% or more of the votes cast in a stake version interval must be of a particular version, e.g. version 3. The rules for starting a new voting period can be reduced to asking a couple straightforward questions:
Did all the PoW miners upgrade to the latest dcrd release?
Did 75% or more of the stakeholders voting in the last stake version interval upgrade to the latest dcrwallet release?
If these 2 conditions are satisfied, the stake version is incremented and the next voting period begins. There is a third condition, but it is more technical and messy to explain, so I'll gloss over it.

The purpose of this soft fork is to act as a signaling mechanism that indicates the network is ready to upgrade consensus. Since this soft fork behavior is fundamental to how Decred hard fork voting will work, we have exhaustively tested the various scenarios that can occur at the ends of stake version intervals. This work was completed by @moo1337 and @davecgh. The code to activate the soft fork was roughly 1500 lines, but the test coverage was roughly 2500 lines. These tests simulate an entire blockchain and ensure that stake version changes behave properly under all conditions, including both positive and negative tests and behavior under reorganizations. We will strive to maintain this level of test coverage for any future consensus changes that occur as part of hard fork voting. If you're interested in checking out the code, have a look at dcrd pull requests 524 (soft fork) and 526 (test coverage).

decrediton

As part of our effort to get a GUI wallet that runs on all major platforms, we started work on decrediton, which uses Electron, React and Redux frameworks. In a single release, @ay-p has gotten most of the basics working for decrediton. Despite being in a very much "alpha" state, it can create simple transactions, generate a new seed, restore from seed, and receive payments. It does have a notable deficiency with the transaction history, but fixing that requires some more substantial work on the gRPC decrediton uses to interact with dcrwallet. By the next release, decrediton should allow users to do most things they can already do with the command line wallet, dcrwallet. In the meantime, do understand this is very much a work-in-progress and there will be something more "beta" available by early February.

dcrticketbuyer

Some users may have noticed that dcrticketbuyer has been static for this release despite several open issues. This is because the code from dcrticketbuyer has been migrated to a separate package inside dcrwallet. This was done because in order to buy tickets, you need a wallet, so rather than require users to run 2 processes, a wallet for buying tickets and a ticket buyer, only 1 process is required. Another reason this was done is that automatic ticket purchasing in Paymetheus or decrediton creates a mess when using a standalone ticket buyer versus something integrated into wallet. The migration took @Javed Khan a while and it has now landed in dcrwallet.

If you have any further questions about the release, feel free to ask.
Maicol792
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:28:35 AM

Good work!  Decred is the star of 2017 ... we need implement smart contract  Shocked
gtzanap

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 07:59:45 AM

If I'm happily staking and buying tickets (manually) with 0.5 command Line wallet, is there a pressing need to update?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Jack Liver
Legendary

Activity: 1981
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 12:38:37 PM

malcovixeffect

Merit: 266

View Profile
December 27, 2016, 02:25:56 PM

slowly buying..
IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 12:14:17 AM

From Decred Forums:

It was mentioned on slack/IRC that this DD was technical and didn't make the release tangible for the layperson. Here's a breakdown of the most important parts of this release.

Stake version soft fork

In order to enable hard fork voting, we implement a soft fork that makes use of the existing block version in block headers, vote version and the stake version in block headers. Those familiar with Bitcoin may be aware that soft forks are implemented via the block version in the block header, where the network begins enforcing and rejecting blocks of lower version at certain activation thresholds, e.g. if 75% of the blocks in a trailing window of 1000 blocks are version 3, blocks with version less than 3 are rejected by the network. This process is entirely controlled by the PoW miners, so in Bitcoin, this process depends only on the PoW miners and not the rest of the network. In Decred, we require a second version in the block header to enable hard fork voting, called the stake version, and this version being incremented corresponds to the start of voting on a new set of issues that are encoded in votebits that are part of each vote cast by stakeholders. Decred uses the existing Bitcoin method for incrementing the block version in its block headers, but to increment the stake version, the block version must already be incremented and 75% or more of the votes cast in a stake version interval must be of a particular version, e.g. version 3. The rules for starting a new voting period can be reduced to asking a couple straightforward questions:
Did 75% or more of the stakeholders voting in the last stake version interval upgrade to the latest dcrwallet release?
If these 2 conditions are satisfied, the stake version is incremented and the next voting period begins. There is a third condition, but it is more technical and messy to explain, so I'll gloss over it.

Thanks for the update!  For those of us interested, can you explain the third condition?  Or point to a thread/blog where it's already explained?  Smiley

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
behindtext

Activity: 121
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2016, 02:08:03 PM

The rules for starting a new voting period can be reduced to asking a couple straightforward questions:

Thanks for the update!  For those of us interested, can you explain the third condition?  Or point to a thread/blog where it's already explained?  Smiley

Sure thing, IncludeBeer.  This may be more technical than some readers want, but it's necessary to explain why and how this 3rd condition works.

Since Decred's hybrid PoW/PoS system scales the block reward received by a PoW miner based on the number of PoS miners whose votes are included in that block, i.e. a block authored by a PoW miner that includes 3 of the 5 votes only receives 3/5 of the usual subsidy for mining that block, we cannot apply the same kind of enforcement, rejection and activation logic as Bitcoin uses for the block version to the stake version.  If votes are rejected based on their version, e.g. full nodes start rejecting anything but v3 votes, it unfairly penalizes the PoW miner for that block due to a PoS miner not upgrading.  Not rejecting votes creates an enforcement problem: it is not possible to guarantee a monotonic march to activation by rejecting older versions.  Without rejecting older vote versions, it is possible to have the following scenario occur: during one stake version interval (SVI), the 75% threshold is crossed by a new version, then during the next SVI, that same version falls short of the 75% threshold.  The 3rd condition is

* Instead of determining the stake version only based on the votes in that interval, we also check what version the last SVI was.  If the previous SVI was some version, the current version must be that same version or greater.

By preventing the stake version from decreasing, we avoid other complex failure modes that could occur when the stake version goes from 3 to 2 or similar.

IncludeBeer
Legendary

Activity: 1164

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 09:05:07 PM

The rules for starting a new voting period can be reduced to asking a couple straightforward questions:

Sure thing, IncludeBeer.  This may be more technical than some readers want, but it's necessary to explain why and how this 3rd condition works.

Since Decred's hybrid PoW/PoS system scales the block reward received by a PoW miner based on the number of PoS miners whose votes are included in that block, i.e. a block authored by a PoW miner that includes 3 of the 5 votes only receives 3/5 of the usual subsidy for mining that block, we cannot apply the same kind of enforcement, rejection and activation logic as Bitcoin uses for the block version to the stake version.  If votes are rejected based on their version, e.g. full nodes start rejecting anything but v3 votes, it unfairly penalizes the PoW miner for that block due to a PoS miner not upgrading.  Not rejecting votes creates an enforcement problem: it is not possible to guarantee a monotonic march to activation by rejecting older versions.  Without rejecting older vote versions, it is possible to have the following scenario occur: during one stake version interval (SVI), the 75% threshold is crossed by a new version, then during the next SVI, that same version falls short of the 75% threshold.  The 3rd condition is

* Instead of determining the stake version only based on the votes in that interval, we also check what version the last SVI was.  If the previous SVI was some version, the current version must be that same version or greater.

By preventing the stake version from decreasing, we avoid other complex failure modes that could occur when the stake version goes from 3 to 2 or similar.

No worries, I work in development myself. This makes good sense imo.  It sounds like a trivial check to make, and as you pointed out, does a good job of mitigating the risks of all those complex failure modes that otherwise could occur. Great work devs! Cheesy

Grow the Dividend Snek! (pm me if you have questions)
https://powh.io/?masternode=0x1f9b145fdaef2b82aef29c2f3c9b875a8b017512
Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 11:20:57 PM

Things are getting more interesting on the market...

Cheesy
pugilist555

Activity: 474
Merit: 261

GBM

View Profile
December 28, 2016, 11:32:28 PM

Where is the best place to follow the project? Forum or slack?

Blockchain technology
dbt1033
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 01:54:21 AM

Cheesy

They certainly are... 10btc put us up 20%.  When this goes... good luck not market buying.
Penttikuisma

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 08:01:58 AM

Where is the best place to follow the project? Forum or slack?

I'd say Forum https://forum.decred.org/ and Github https://github.com/decred
Rich Ricci 2.0

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 09:49:44 AM

https://i.imgur.com/A6GGgHG.png

Cheesy

They certainly are... 10btc put us up 20%.  When this goes... good luck not market buying.

We will triple this coin in the coming months
Alexoz

Activity: 248

One World

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2016, 10:43:09 AM

We could triple it today... I'll try to get an investor into digital currencies! And I suppose he knows a lot of people Wink I'll do my best

Praxis
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 11:55:53 AM

We could triple it today... I'll try to get an investor into digital currencies! And I suppose he knows a lot of people Wink I'll do my best

That's great, I also try to spread the word and educate people about it.
If each of helps spread the word, Decred can rise fast... we shouldn't just wait for the dev team or decry the lack of marketing...
The best things spread by word of mouth.
But without shilling. Shilling is disgusting... only informing others calmly and rationally about what you believe to be a good investment and most importantly, WHY you believe that (governance model, tech, devs...)
There was a very nice page explaining in simple English what is innovative about Decred, does anyone have it handy? That's a good resource to use to show new people, I can't find the URL now though.

Alexoz

Activity: 248

One World

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2016, 12:10:34 PM

I don't know the Url but have a look on Facebook www.facebook.com/decredcash.

By the way, there is a guy that wants to buy 50Btc but doesn't know yet the floor... I suppose he is not the only one who wants to buy!

malcovixeffect

Merit: 266

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:08:41 PM

I don't know the Url but have a look on Facebook www.facebook.com/decredcash.

By the way, there is a guy that wants to buy 50Btc but doesn't know yet the floor... I suppose he is not the only one who wants to buy!

where did you found this guy that you are reffering?
Pages: « 1 ... 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 [332] 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 ... 555 »
  Print  

Jump to: