Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:28:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Analysis and list of top big blocks shills (XT #REKT ignorers)  (Read 46559 times)
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 04:54:44 AM

Some are far more influential than others obviously.  Why don't you add up the commits (excluding Gavin and garzik) and see how far off I was.  Have fun Smiley

We all know core won't do anything without "consensus" so it might as well be everyone as its most of the major voices.  

Perhaps next time you can accurately qualify your statements from the start instead of making outright lies, and than have to back-peddle with multiple rationalizations and added caveats.... My cynicism is high with you as you are showing a lack of integrity to honestly admit you made a mistake and apologize for misleading the larger community.

Now you are suggesting , that those who contribute the most code and are the most productive work at blockstream.... I look forward to you spreading this narrative in the future.... somehow I doubt it will fit your agenda.
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 07:58:16 AM

It's 20. January 2015

Bitcoin Core operates correctly. Millions of $ coins are being sent effortlessly.

Reddit taken over by shills. A massive circle jerk of paid accounts cheering
for things that could harm Bitcoin (hard fork, attacks on devs)

What a beautiful afternoon.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:11:45 AM

https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/41aocn/httpsbitcoinorgenbitcoincorecapacityincreases_why/cz0z9ym
https://github.com/luke-jr/bitcoin/commit/8d3a84c242598ef3cdc733e99dddebfecdad84a6

Keccak with a Nf15 appears extremely ASIC resistant.

Excellent. I would consider this as an option. I wouldn't dream of leaving the current SHA256 miners a week ago , but after attempting to have some friendly discussions with some of the Bitcoin Classic/ Bitcoin unlimited group of supporters it appears their ideals and understanding of bitcoin are much different than my own. I do respect that core devs are so prepared that they already have an alternative ready just in case the unlikely happens. 

my GPUs are in the starting blocks. Grin Grin Grin

GPU's are enough to secure an Altcoin/BS-Chain with nearly zero value.
Zarathustra
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:13:44 AM

you are correct. for some reason i didnt see that...

Probably the same reason you think a confederation is the same thing as a democracy.

IE, you are not very intelligent.   Wink

More orwellian bullshit. "Switzerland is not a democracy and North Korea is not a dictatorship."

http://direct-democracy.geschichte-schweiz.ch/switzerlands-political-systems.html
watashi-kokoto

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 02:07:48 PM

More orwellian bullshit. "Switzerland is not a democracy and North Korea is not a dictatorship."

http://direct-democracy.geschichte-schweiz.ch/switzerlands-political-systems.html

Well said.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 02:46:25 PM

Some are far more influential than others obviously.  Why don't you add up the commits (excluding Gavin and garzik) and see how far off I was.  Have fun Smiley

We all know core won't do anything without "consensus" so it might as well be everyone as its most of the major voices.  

Perhaps next time you can accurately qualify your statements from the start instead of making outright lies, and than have to back-peddle with multiple rationalizations and added caveats.... My cynicism is high with you as you are showing a lack of integrity to honestly admit you made a mistake and apologize for misleading the larger community.

Now you are suggesting , that those who contribute the most code and are the most productive work at blockstream.... I look forward to you spreading this narrative in the future.... somehow I doubt it will fit your agenda.

Yes, your cynicism is palpable.  I agree.

I thought I just did "honestly admit" that I was speaking in general terms.  

I really don't see any "lies" or "back peddling" or "rationalizations" or "caveats".  
Why don't you pull out your thesaurus and see if you can paint an even darker
picture here?  Cheesy

What is the MAIN POINT, THE ESSENCE of what I'm saying?

People like Luke, Matt, Greg, and Pieter are major players in core and also are/were involved
with Blockstream.  If you take away Jeff and Gavin, sure there are others who contribute
but they aren't very influential.  

I admit, saying "everyone" was an innacuracy, and I'm more than happy to
admit that, but I haven't misled anyone (at least intentionally).   Most people
know there are many contributors to the open source project.

That's was my point the whole time and I think you know this was my point,
and I think you know my point is valid.

I believe you are splitting hairs in an attempt to discredit me but
its not working.  Go attack someone else.

sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:04:12 PM

A client can do things. Miners decide if they use it. The ceo and customers can only petition the client maintainers.
You must have misunderstood my point, but nevermind.

Can kicking is preferable to nothing. Unless you have a strong motive to do nothing?
In what world does SegWit equal to 'doing nothing'? The time needed for SegWit will probably be very similar to the time at which the fork would active (if Classic had enough support). So it is not really a question about time.

I want segwit. I think its great, because its a big help to getting LN. I really want LN, because I think that its an essential part of the road to allowing crypto replace fiat. I think blockstream are probably not bad guys. I'm open to the idea that not everything will be done on chain, and that's ok (provided Layer-N solutions share the same key attributes of being open source, peer to peer, do not require the use of their party, allows you to be your own bank etc)

What I don't want is all the bullshit. 2MB is nothing. Its just a contingency. The scaling roadmap accepts it as viable. Adam Back accepts it is viable. A whole bunch of miners have agreed it is viable. There is overwhelming support for it, and yet core won't merge it. This is absolutely the antithesis to the idea that bitcoin is decentralised. A few people are controlling bitcoin development and that is a fact. It is centralised right now.

The massive amounts of fud that has been posted ever since there has been any sniff of alternative implementations. Lets indulge the conspiracy theory that Hearn was an insider and that the extra stuff he put in XT was 'bad'. XT is off the table. Lets indulge the idea that 8MB with 2^n scaling was over zealous. BIP101 is off the table. Lets now take a look at the massive reduction in scope and resource usage in the latest proposal for a short term fix to the potential risks of persistently full blocks that classic is offering. 2MB with no further predefined scaling (possibly no opt in RBF).

Running classic is not the threat to the network that certain people would have you beleive. If enough people run it then maybe blocks bigger than 1MB will be mined, up to a maximum of 2MB. If there is no need then block sizes won't even go up that much, if block suddenly jump to 2MB then its clear there was definitely a need! Increasing the block size to 2MB doesn't mean I wont every transaction on chain, it doesn't mean that I think that increasing blocksize increases the scalability of bitcoin, it doesn't mean that I think increasing the blocksize limit is the *only* solution to increasing throughput.

It just means that I think blocks are filling up so it would be prudent to give some headroom. There is nothing nefarious about it, there is nothing uneducated about it there is no massive threat to decentralisation. Nothing more than capacity planning. Remember I am *for* LN, I am for segwit, I don't think that short term headroom is any threat to those things. moving from 3-7 TPS to 6-14 does not mean that suddenly we don't need real scaling solutions!!!

Core could gracefully acknowledge that perhaps on this one thing they might have been wrong, or they could instead make threats about switching POW algorithms to try and maintain their grip on the one true bitcoin. Are they really going to do that over this one issue, is gmaxwell *that* obstinate, are the the other devs really going to back him?

Doing the latter though is just more of that bullshit that *nobody* wants.

Alternative implementations are not a threat they are a means to the end of consensus. Luke-jr has it right:

[–] luke-jr Bitcoin Expert 2 points 1 year ago
If the majority of nodes ran btcd, the protocol would de facto be defined by btcd - you are correct.
..snip...

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:23:34 PM

Yes, your cynicism is palpable.  I agree.

I thought I just did "honestly admit" that I was speaking in general terms.  

I really don't see any "lies" or "back peddling" or "rationalizations" or "caveats".  
Why don't you pull out your thesaurus and see if you can paint an even darker
picture here?  Cheesy

What is the MAIN POINT, THE ESSENCE of what I'm saying?

People like Luke, Matt, Greg, and Pieter are major players in core and also are/were involved
with Blockstream.  If you take away Jeff and Gavin, sure there are others who contribute
but they aren't very influential.  

I admit, saying "everyone" was an innacuracy, and I'm more than happy to
admit that, but I haven't misled anyone (at least intentionally).   Most people
know there are many contributors to the open source project.

That's was my point the whole time and I think you know this was my point,
and I think you know my point is valid.

I believe you are splitting hairs in an attempt to discredit me but
its not working.  Go attack someone else.

~Apology accepted... please try and be more careful next time with your statements as we already have enough miscommunication
as is. It is not my intention to attack you but simply clear the air and make sure people aren't spreading false information (intentionally or unintentionally) Please correct any misstatements I make in the future as I wish to be as fair and accurate as possible as well.

----------------------------------------

In other news --

https://botbot.me/freenode/bitcoin-core-dev/

wangchun from F2Pool is planning with some core devs yesterday for a planned 2MB hard fork and adding extra nonce space in feb/march 2017 to increase effective capacity up to ~4MB.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:26:32 PM

*waffle snip*

Alternative implementations are not a threat they are a means to the end of consensus. Luke-jr has it right:

[–] luke-jr Bitcoin Expert 2 points 1 year ago
If the majority of nodes ran btcd, the protocol would de facto be defined by btcd - you are correct.
..snip...

No bett, alternative implementations screw with confidence in the currency.

It's called a fee market. Relax. Let it happen.  Smiley

Vires in numeris
BitUsher
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:32:53 PM

No bett, alternative implementations (that break consensus rules)  screw with confidence in the currency.

It's called a fee market. Relax. Let it happen.  Smiley

Mostly agreed. We still need to support and develop alt implementations like bitcore and libbitcoin but always having a coup at our heals is a threat to user and investor confidence.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:44:49 PM

BIG POST SNIP ~

I think you make too much sense for this forum Smiley

Great post and balanced.

Hopefully both sides of the debate may be a bit more open minded and learn something.

I like the point that XT is off the table (clearly), yet you still see "XTards" comments and such.
Its actually pretty funny.

watashi-kokoto

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 03:46:19 PM

Mostly agreed. We still need to support and develop alt implementations like bitcore and libbitcoin but always having a coup at our heals is a threat to user and investor confidence.

It's been this way for how much? 5 months already?

The U.S gonna pump, media scare, then dump, weak hands shitting their pants. And again and again.
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:20:50 PM

It's 20. January 2015

Bitcoin Core operates correctly. Millions of $ coins are being sent effortlessly.

Reddit taken over by shills. A massive circle jerk of paid accounts cheering
for things that could harm Bitcoin (hard fork, attacks on devs)

What a beautiful afternoon.

Reddit has sadly been useless as a source of any good information for well over a year. It is exactly as you describe, an echo chamber. I don't even bother with it anymore.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
shinohai

Activity: 267
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 05:22:22 PM

BIG POST SNIP ~

Great post and balanced.

Hopefully both sides of the debate may be a bit more open minded and learn something.

I like the point that XT is off the table (clearly), yet you still see "XTards" comments and such.

Does classictard suit you better?

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:21:41 PM

BIG POST SNIP ~

Great post and balanced.

BETT YOU ARE INCREDIBLY SMART AND A SUPER COOL GUY TO BE WITH

WHY THANK YOU JONALD YOU'RE TOO KIND AND MOST CHARISMATIC

Vires in numeris
btcusury (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 260

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 06:29:35 PM

^ Hahaha, brilliant!

In the context of Bitcoin, "consensus" refers to "technical consensus" at the protocol level, not "economic consensus" at the user level or "political consensus" at opinion level ...

You don't get it, even if it is demonstrated right before your eyes. The "consensus" of the technicians is meaningless, if it is no "consensus" / "compromise" with the miners. This is Bitcoins security against a a failure in development.

I don't want to say core failed. In fact I think they do the best they can and do a hard, brillant work, and they don't deserve what happens to them now. But they have been warned for a long time and it would have been easy for them to prevent it. It's just a fact, that the economy lost it's patience in core and is not satisfied with core's scaling roadmap.

It's a fact that you have the impression that "the economy lost [its] patience in core and is not satisfied with core's scaling roadmap". What I'm saying is that that impression seems to have been generated as a reaction to a contrived "problem" (urgency of block size scaling) for the purpose of getting non-technical people to naively seek a compromised (in both senses of the word) "solution".

If a large majority of users and economic acteurs agree - it's not relevant, because they could be manipulated.
But if 35 developers agree, even if it is against the will of users and economy - than that's the way. As if they couldn't be manipulated.

It's not that they couldn't be manipulated, but where's the evidence of that? I mean, for Gavin, Hearn, Garzik, and a few others, quite possibly. You have to look at who it is that has reasons to destroy Bitcoin, who it is that has (or perceives to have) the most to lose. It ain't the core developers, it ain't the users, it ain't the miners.

Coinbase is just a business trying to benefit from a particular technology, without much regard for the direction of the technology -

Sure. Just a greedy and instrusive business, hem?

Coinbase enables people to buy/sell bitcoins. Entrepreneurs like Brian Armstrong risked their freedom and their wealth to make this real. Think on Charlie Shrem. Which developer got imprisoned for submitting a bip? Which one got highly indepted because a hacker had stolen a mass of bitcoins from the website?

Without companies like Coinbase Bitcoin would be not more than any loosy altcoin.

Armstrong is technically clueless. He's running a business -- that's his concern. Shrem was thrown under the bus by most of his fellow crypto entrepreneurs when the USG kidnapped him; hardly conducive to your point. As I pointed out back then, "If we don't stand up for Shrem, we are complete idiots waiting for the next blow." The next (or another) blow is here, I would suggest.

The question is, why are you into Bitcoin? To make money? Or to help move us toward a fairer economic system free from central control and manipulation (debt-based fractional reserve fiat bankster "money")?

Why is this the question? Mind-check? Are you Stalin?

Read my answer: curiosity, ideology and money. In this direction. ok?

That's the correct order, yes, though I would change "ideology" with "understanding". Wink The question is that because you don't seem to understand what exactly it is that Bitcoin, or rather cryptocurrency, fundamentally and most relevantly addresses, in our world. How do you suppose your grandfather or great-grandfather (nothing personal, just playing along with your Stalin remark) fell for the rhetoric of authoritarian collectivist clowns? It's because of exposure to particular information sources to the exclusion of others. That's how people are easily led, their energy herded and harnessed into desired destructive results, usually by means of making them feel as if they are part of a collective, by promoting vague/abstract ideas such as "economic majority" or "democratic majority".

Ok, I don't like politician either. Unfortunately their talents - negotiation and diplomacy - are needed, whenever humans built something like society.

The only reason you believe they "are needed" (and that their acts could be called "talents") is, I would suggest, because you are paying attention to sources of information that make it seem that way. In this context, "negotiation and diplomacy" really means "peace-maintaining communications between warlords".

I never believed or told the blockstream-conspiracy. But I don't understand why you are heavy paranoid when it comes to Coinbase / Andresen, but not a bit paranoid when it comes to Maxwell/Blockstream.

It's not paranoia, it's research/investigation. Maxwell has, to my knowledge at least, never done anything suspicious in regards to the direction of Bitcoin, and his posts paint him as quite the gentleman, always sticking to the technical arguments, which are what is relevant for Bitcoin's long-term health.

What I don't want is all the bullshit. 2MB is nothing. Its just a contingency. The scaling roadmap accepts it as viable. Adam Back accepts it is viable. A whole bunch of miners have agreed it is viable. There is overwhelming support for it, and yet core won't merge it. This is absolutely the antithesis to the idea that bitcoin is decentralised. A few people are controlling bitcoin development and that is a fact. It is centralised right now.

I think you're missing the idea that it isn't actually as urgent as it is repeatedly alleged, and that SegWit does essentially the same thing (with bonuses) in about the same timeframe.

And also that a hard fork is riskier and harder to carefully pull off (i.e. more unpredictable) than the big blockists want to believe.

And you seem to be assuming that a Gavinista hardph0rk would somehow not increase centralization by moving developmental control/influence toward a smaller number of developers.

And soon enough they would feel (or pretend to feel) the urgency of increasing it to 4MB, perhaps after attempting "stress tests" to see if they can execute withholding attacks that may become viable due to the increased block processing time of 2MB blocks.

Core could gracefully acknowledge that perhaps on this one thing they might have been wrong, or they could instead make threats about switching POW algorithms to try and maintain their grip on the one true bitcoin. Are they really going to do that over this one issue, is gmaxwell *that* obstinate, are the the other devs really going to back him?

You may have missed Maxwell's next post down, where he says: "I was just answering to feasibility. Changing the POW is a well understood, though extreme, measure available to address dysfunction in the mining ecosystem.
If miners do something that harms some network of nodes; thats exactly what they'll do. And Luke-Jr had already offered a patch to Classic to address the complaints Mike's article was making."

Alternative implementations are not a threat they are a means to the end of consensus.

Hardly so. Does fungibility and antifragility mean nothing to you? There is a reason why hard forks are supposed to be, and should be, extremely hard to do unless there is an overwhelming consensus (i.e. virtually no opposition).

FACT: There were hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths by December 2020 due to the censorship of all effective treatments (most notably ivermectin) in order to obtain EUA for experimental GT spike protein injections despite spike bioweaponization patents going back about a decade, and the manufacturers have 100% legal immunity despite long criminal histories.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:57:57 PM

Does classictard suit you better?

Name calling is a poor substitute for substance.

When the name calling isn't even accurate,
you've really sunk to a new level of fail.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 08:59:07 PM

south park reference

Ok, I'll give this one an 8/10 for humor.  Good job!  Grin

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2016, 09:10:32 PM

I want segwit. I think its great, because its a big help to getting LN. I really want LN, because I think that its an essential part of the road to allowing crypto replace fiat. I think blockstream are probably not bad guys. I'm open to the idea that not everything will be done on chain, and that's ok (provided Layer-N solutions share the same key attributes of being open source, peer to peer, do not require the use of their party, allows you to be your own bank etc)
SegWit is needed for LN and it comes with bonuses in addition to an increase of the total amount of transactions that we can have per block.

What I don't want is all the bullshit. 2MB is nothing. Its just a contingency. There is overwhelming support for it, and yet core won't merge it. This is absolutely the antithesis to the idea that bitcoin is decentralised. A few people are controlling bitcoin development and that is a fact. It is centralised right now.
Overwhelming support? No. The problem is that if we deploy 2 MB blocks right now we have to postpone SegWit. A combination of those would be similar to a increase to 4 MB which is definitely unsafe, especially considering that a transaction at 2 MB could be created that would take over 10 minutes to validate. It is either 2 MB block size or SegWit right now. Tell me again what benefits come with a 2 MB block size? None.

Running classic is not the threat to the network that certain people would have you beleive.
Should I put aside the fact that we are handing over the commit keys to 'newbie developers' (except Gavin)? Or the fact that we are moving from a much bigger group of contributors to a much smaller one?

This is FUD, and a lot of people are trying to use this against Core. Any developer has the right to create a proposal. Don't you remember that Pieter Wuille proposed that we increase the supply to 42million (after the first 21 million have been mined)? This does not mean that the proposal will be implemented. IRC sipa said that they would not merge this.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2016, 09:25:29 PM

Lauda, you are clearly in the paradigm of centralized development
when speak of things like "handing over the keys".

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 »
  Print  

Jump to: