Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:59:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread  (Read 107610 times)
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:01:34 PM

Hence, my suggestion that they initially limit it to one unit per customer, so that ....
So that it takes ages for them to deal with all the order handling, shipping waybills, invoicing, payment follow up?

I think they'd rather have 20 customers that take 30 units each than 600 customers that take 1 unit each

Heck, I'd place an order for 30 units if I could pay with wire transfer...
+1
Or +30

Since that they don't seem to be in a hurry anymore, why not to open the orders like the last time, allow 10 days for the wires to come in and delete the orders that doesn't come in in time?

Less troubles for all of us fiat-powered.

Less commission for them, less problems in a speculative market.

After all mining is a hard way to convert fiat to bitcoin, correct?

Why would they?
They've taken months of abuse on the forums - finally have shown their true colours by bringing kit to the marketplace.
Any serious customer into btc will have the coin to hand or made arrangements to have coin in time for batch#2
Demand will be far higher than the size of batch 2 - so they can cut out any headaches and ask for upfront payment.

They have taken 2 days of abuses.
As for the amount of btc each of us stores no, it's incorrect.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:14:01 PM

They've taken months 11 days of abuse on the forums - finally have shown their true colours by bringing kit to the marketplace.
Any serious customer into btc Avalon diehard or greed-stricken newbie will have the coin to hand or made arrangements to have coin in time for batch#2
Demand will be far higher than the size of batch 2 - so they can cut out any headaches and ask for upfront payment.

Fixed that for ya.

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 06:24:48 PM

They've taken months 11 days of abuse on the forums - finally have shown their true colours by bringing kit to the marketplace.
Any serious customer into btc Avalon diehard or greed-stricken newbie will have the coin to hand or made arrangements to have coin in time for batch#2

Fixed that for ya.

heh - if you look take the time to look back (and using the excuse that there's no need to look back - because you "know") - it's been far more than just 2 days.
Look at bASIC's refunds - it took time because orders aren't clean or simple - it's a nest of vipers where somebody orders one, then another, paying part with one thing (btc), another part with something else (like a cc).  Allowing "deposits" adds complexity - somebody wants to pay 10%, somebody else wants to pay 20%..
When it comes to fulfilment - you then need to chase up & reconcile who's done what. 

In business - every customer feels they're special, that their case is unique.  From the other side of the fence - a business that has to deal with 600 "unique" customers ends up wasting time.

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 06:34:51 PM

Fixed that for ya.

heh - if you look take the time to look back (and using the excuse that there's no need to look back - because you "know") - it's been far more than just 2 days.

Naw, Avalon took the most criticism after they "shipped" on the 20th and then disappeared while we started asking questions haha.

Look at bASIC's refunds - it took time because orders aren't clean or simple - it's a nest of vipers where somebody orders one, then another, paying part with one thing (btc), another part with something else (like a cc).  Allowing "deposits" adds complexity - somebody wants to pay 10%, somebody else wants to pay 20%..
When it comes to fulfilment - you then need to chase up & reconcile who's done what. 

It's actually quite a bit easier than I think you imagine, assuming that they are organized and keep thorough records. Credit cards are the easiest to refund can be done at the click of a button, while Bitcoins only take time because they have to be manually refunded. It's only when you don't know "who gave what, and who gets what" that shit hits the fan.

In business - every customer feels they're special, that their case is unique.  From the other side of the fence - a business that has to deal with 600 "unique" customers ends up wasting time.

As a customer should be. A happy customer comes back for more...an unhappy one tells their friends and none return. Wink

laSeek

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Litecoin Core Developer

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 06:58:07 PM

Naw, Avalon took the most criticism after they "shipped" on the 20th and then disappeared while we started asking questions haha.

The critique started way before they "shipped" - they received a lot more attention because they took the stance of avoiding self-promotion and wanted a customer to comment.
I don't think they handled the launch particularly well-

It's actually quite a bit easier than I think you imagine, assuming that they are organized and keep thorough records. Credit cards are the easiest to refund can be done at the click of a button, while Bitcoins only take time because they have to be manually refunded. It's only when you don't know "who gave what, and who gets what" that shit hits the fan.
It can be - but often it's not.  So far bASIC & BFL (I've not seen any posts about people asking for Avalon refunds) - both established companies have stumbled over the refunding - so in the btc hw world - proper record-keeping appears to take 2nd place.  It's understandable - they're smaller ops and investment in customer management systems take time & energy.
I've built these systems and they can be a nightmare when it comes to adjustments to orders.

From a business perspective - I don't blame Avalon for wanting to keep things simple at the moment.

As a customer should be. A happy customer comes back for more...an unhappy one tells their friends and none return. Wink

heh - yes & no.  There's an argument (not that I agree with it) when it comes to startups that customers should love or hate you.
The idea is that its better to have people polarised than to have them feeling "meh" - that way you have right kind of attention - negative attention becomes an indicator that you need to change.
I'm more conservative - you can't please all of the people all of the time - it's better to stick to some principle that matters, hope you have the right kind of attitude to your clientbase - and do your best by being upfront.

Litecoin Core Developer
 - Dev Repo - https://github.com/dasher/litecoin.git
Donations:  LTC LX2aYdR8jPiHUHVmegBiK1DBGa2fusz1fx  BTC 1PnAbtTnQJTiZ1N1RVHLq2vop77PWwsCoC
Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:12:40 PM

Since they are taking only BTC:

- Do you first buy and than make the transfer in 1-2 days?
- How is the BTC needed calculated? Especially since it is fluctuating a lot nowadays...

Last time you had a order and had to send a wire or btc quickly. If not the order was considered canceled.

Last time the agreement was at the time of purchase you are selling your btc for the current market rate at the time you do the transfer. If you needed a refund or whatever, they paid you cash back.
superfastkyle

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:37:37 PM

"Batch two has been postponed as of now, stay tuned today for major updates. This gives a chance for more people to acquire bitcoins for the order, it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week."

Sounds like exactly something someone would do if they are trying to "fake shortage". Say you are only selling 500 orders, but actually sell a few thousand. But they sell out faster because there is a perceived shortage. I've seen this happen way too many time in the video game industry
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 07:50:43 PM

"Batch two has been postponed as of now, stay tuned today for major updates. This gives a chance for more people to acquire bitcoins for the order, it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week."

Sounds like exactly something someone would do if they are trying to "fake shortage". Say you are only selling 500 orders, but actually sell a few thousand. But they sell out faster because there is a perceived shortage. I've seen this happen way too many time in the video game industry
[/quote
Where did you read the "it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week" part?

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:07:37 PM

From the first page of this thread (updated):

Batch two has been postponed as of now, stay tuned today for major updates. This gives a chance for more people to acquire bitcoins for the order, it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week.

superfastkyle -  what made me almost sure that pre-order batch #2 was a scam was that if no review units were received prior to opening pre-orders, that would be so scamtastically scamworthy.  Now, the pre-order opening for batch #2 has been delayed by Avalon for the benefit of potential buyers who want to get their blockchains updated, wallets ready, and this is a scam as well Tongue ?  If Avalon wanted to, they could have done "fake shortage" with batch #1 as well, with or without delaying the opening pre-order date.  There is more than a bit of trust involved in anything bitcoin, especially ASICs.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:09:38 PM

From the first page of this thread (updated):

Batch two has been postponed as of now, stay tuned today for major updates. This gives a chance for more people to acquire bitcoins for the order, it will be at least 24 hours from now before order, but I do not expect the delay to extend past this week.
Thank you, i missed it.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:13:00 PM

Except that video games are mass produced, whereas Avalons are not.  There's no real advantage to Avalon taking thousands of orders at a time because they have a limited capacity to speed up their production.  Avalon doesn't need their Batch 2 to "sell out faster".  It's going to sell out fast anyway.  Increasing the size of the batch to thousands would just create more headaches for them for no real gain.  

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
king_pin

Activity: 416

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

My personal opinion:

Jeff is in the AVALON scam too.

24 hours after he received it, he posts 6 real photos and some shit a kid can do with Photoshop, when he knows there are close to a million $$$ at stake.

Help to save a persons life with BITCOIN - http://www.bitcoinsaves.org/en/
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:20:06 PM

Except that video games are mass produced, whereas Avalons are not.  There's no real advantage to Avalon taking thousands of orders at a time because they have a limited capacity to speed up their production.  Avalon doesn't need their Batch 2 to "sell out faster".  It's going to sell out fast anyway.  Increasing the size of the batch to thousands would just create more headaches for them for no real gain.  

I think the rationale is that Avalon is still a big scam, and they're just going to soak in as many preorders as possible before running with everyone's money. It's going to take more than demonstrating working ASICs to prove to people that Avalon is legit, apparently.
bce

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:24:10 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2013, 06:06:56 AM by bce

My personal opinion:

24 hours after he received it, he posts 6 real photos and some shit a kid can do with Photoshop, when he knows there are close to a million $$$ at stake.

HAHA!  Classic Kingpin Tongue   Yeah, I've seen some photoshopped stuff in my day...  Grin  That shady Garzik fellow, am sure he's in on the greatest international tech charade there will ever be!   The "Bre-X - Busang gold mine" story of the 2010s!  

He even photoshopped the styrofoam shipping peanuts!  I wonder why he has spent so much time developing and supporting Bitcoin over the years?  I think he missed his calling as a photoshopping ponzi-scheme operator Tongue  
wtfvanity

Activity: 504

WTF???

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:28:15 PM

My personal opinion:

Typically when someone bolds something they are never wrong. I had to read this a couple of times, but obviously you've thought this out.

I think it's awesome that they delivered ANYTHING before their deadline. Sure, they don't have all the units out, but this is sure a hell of a lot more than what BFL had to show by the end of October. 3 months later we still have stories from them. I'll follow along and say I don't think BFL is taking the money and running, they just don't know how to really make one and it's taking them a lot longer than anticipated.

Congrat's to team avalon.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:29:51 PM

My personal opinion:

//ignore

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:44:14 PM

Who was the guy that was so relieved yesterday that now finally there would be no more conspiracy theories?

Because I want to point at this, chuckle and put on my smugface.  Cool
Fuzzy

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:49:57 PM

Yeah, that sucks. He knows there are hundreds of people waiting, since Avalon went to all that trouble to get him the first unit, and he barely posts anything, just lets it sit and mine while everyone's holding their breath for PCB shots. Or maybe it's just me  Huh
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:52:33 PM

Yeah, that sucks. He knows there are hundreds of people waiting, since Avalon went to all that trouble to get him the first unit, and he barely posts anything, just lets it sit and mine while everyone's holding their breath for PCB shots. Or maybe it's just me  Huh

+1

But hey, 6000$ at month is worth some nerds screaming against him.

creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 31, 2013, 08:57:36 PM

Umm, he opened it up and took a photo, he posted shots of cgminer output, he posted shots of pool stats, he talked for some time on IRC...all of this after the man left work.

Let it go guys. Avalon shipped it, Jeff received it, and it appears to works as advertised. The only thing I didn't see is a kill-a-watt readout, but he said he'd prepare a review in the near future and presumably it will  be included.

How about a thanks Jeff for the awesome effort instead of a Jeff yer a scammer based on absolutely nothing?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: