Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:35:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Avalon ASIC] Batch #2 pre-Sale Thread  (Read 107626 times)
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 12:06:19 AM

for when that moment comes you won't able to meet the advertised specifications

Your website still shows 450W when it has been measured at 620W+ at the socket. Sorry, but you really fucked up the specs, or at least lied by omission. You're selling complete units here, not individual ASICs. You need to give the specs of the complete units or you're a lying piece of shit. Attacking BFL for possibly not meeting specs when you already failed to meet specs and still advertise the wrong specs is just retarded.

Fun fact: BFL's order form still works perfectly and:

• Doesn't mess up the price
  • Doesn't mix up the shopping carts
  • Doesn't hand out others' personal information

It's just ridiculous to take a swipe at them at every opportunity when you're fucking up even worse than they are in everything but shipping dates.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 12:12:44 AM

Your website still shows 450W when it has been measured at 620W+ at the socket. Sorry, but you really fucked up the specs, or at least lied by omission. You're selling complete units here, not individual ASICs. You need to give the specs of the complete units or you're a lying piece of shit. Attacking BFL for possibly not meeting specs when you already failed to meet specs and still advertise the wrong specs is just retarded.

It's just ridiculous to take a swipe at them at every opportunity when you're fucking up even worse than they are in everything but shipping dates.

I bet, changing that text field is not the "highest" priority.   It will be changed soon enough.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
nathanrees19

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 12:16:15 AM

I bet, changing that text field is not the "highest" priority.   It will be changed soon enough.

Well, I will agree that fixing this mess is more important right now, but they did have many days before the sale to get things right...
Icoin

Activity: 585
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 12:27:24 AM

BFL fucked allready its costumers more then once in various situations, personaly i never would trust BFL after the 2012 expirience - btw nice fake pics and realy nice empty case full of fans ....

If you would read you would know, that it is probably a problem with the PSU (cooling) not the Avalon modules, so feel free to continue with your propaganda if you wanna annoy even more potential BFL costumers Smiley

rchapoteau

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 02:02:07 AM

Im a bit surprised by how many people tried ordering 3+ units today.  That's a lot of power to support.  I might be able to support 2 of them at home before I run into trouble but I'm not sure about 3.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 02:13:50 AM

Batch two is now scheduled for Saturday, Feb 2nd, 2013... Good luck.

The following is the no bullshit, no fine print terms of sales for Avalon batch #2.

However, I must warn you, don't place trust in the wrong people and what they tell you;
he did tell us not to trust the outcome
what a fuckup
I guess they trusted the wrong people....find a decent web developer/host and a payment processor that can cope with demand before even considering to put the community through this bullshit again.

I hear rumours of everyone being refunded - cant find a post anywhere and no response to the email I sent just after my order was accepted and I paid....

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 02:24:49 AM

BFL fucked allready its costumers more then once in various situations, personaly i never would trust BFL after the 2012 expirience - btw nice fake pics and realy nice empty case full of fans ....

Wait a second. BFL misses their power / hashing specs on the FPGA singles and lowers their price from $699 to $599. They then exceed their specs on the mini rigs.

Avalon has missed their power specs in a pretty huge way and in return decide to charge $200 more and make no statement regarding the power usage being 50% over spec.  Huh

Hmmmm......
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 03:11:36 AM

Wait a second. BFL misses their power / hashing specs on the FPGA singles and lowers their price from $699 to $599. They then exceed their specs on the mini rigs.

Avalon has missed their power specs in a pretty huge way and in return decide to charge $200 more and make no statement regarding the power usage being 50% over spec.  Huh

Hmmmm......
Havn't you heard? Avalon shipped 2 units, so their word is law and they can do no wrong. They don't answer to the same standards that BFL is held to.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 03:13:57 AM

Havn't you heard? Avalon shipped 2 units, so their word is law and they can do no wrong. They don't answer to the same standards that BFL is held to.

If you could, please re-forward that memo to me. I seem to have misplaced my copy.  Wink

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 03:37:36 AM

Hmmmm......

They did mention why the power specs were out of line. Had something to do the powering unit which isn't suppose to be included in the calculations. Or something like that.

Not dissing, just passing info. Somebody clear up my language above and provide a link to the correct post.
GernMiester

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 04:19:44 AM

No Refunds I get but no warranty?   Cry
Did I miss something?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 04:27:24 AM

Why was neither Avalon or WalletBit's site was taken down when it became obvious that the entire event had turned into a fiasco?

If it was BFL, somebody might suggest that

1) Avalon is having trouble with Batch 1.
2) Avalon needs funds from Batch 2 for fixing the problems with Batch 1.
and best of all
3) The FUBAR situation today is a convenient cover story to buy Avalon time and give them an excuse for not shipping or accepting more orders.

/tinfoil hat

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 04:41:05 AM

Hmmmm......

They did mention why the power specs were out of line. Had something to do the powering unit which isn't suppose to be included in the calculations. Or something like that.

Not dissing, just passing info. Somebody clear up my language above and provide a link to the correct post.

Here it is :

Chip's power consumption is <6.6W/Ghs

ATX power loses(82%), DC/DC power loses(87%), Fan(5~20w), etc…

So…
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:01:54 AM

FTFY

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
GoodStuff

Activity: 22

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 05:24:50 AM

Im a bit surprised by how many people tried ordering 3+ units today.  That's a lot of power to support.  I might be able to support 2 of them at home before I run into trouble but I'm not sure about 3.
If there's people who could operate a giant GPU farm, there's people who can handle multiple Avalon units. Like me, I don't pay for electricity and wouldn't mind running a couple of Avalons if I had them right now. Grin

The main dilemma I see is which company can get their units out first. As long as Avalon's customers get their units within the next two weeks before BFL ships (which seems is extremely highly possible), Avalon's customers will make their investment back in days. While BFL users could brag about power consumption and all that, by the time BFL ships, difficulty will be cranked up and BFL's customers will have a hard time making back their investment. Maybe not likely, but it could be even possible that by the time BFL ships, there may be even more power efficient alternatives to what BFL offers. Since, Avalon already has their chips and shipped out units, who knows if they're already researching and beginning work on way more power efficient chips (I'm wishing 32nm  Grin) Their units are modular and upgradeable so hopefully, when power does become a important factor, Avalon will have modules available for upgrade that are extremely efficient.
rchapoteau

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2013, 06:20:18 AM

True true.  If I could get my hands on them now I would put them where I could to get paid.  The one issue though is that they aren't shipping the second batch for a bit.  Based on what they have said, and customs I think 2nd batch people won't see there's in America until late April early May.  I'm hoping BFL ships out before then to most of there customers but that remains to be seen. 

Good luck to those that get there units soon though.
nathanrees19

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:02:55 AM

If you would read you would know, that it is probably a problem with the PSU (cooling) not the Avalon modules

An "Avalon unit" includes every component in the box with fans. The contents of that box are irrelevant. If they say it uses 450W, and it uses 620W, then they are fucking liars. Plain and simple. "It's the power supply" is no more relevant than "it's the ASICs". The simple fact is that the shipped unit does not work as described.

If the chips themselves use 450W, then that is of academic interest only, since the "Avalon unit" sucks far more than that from the wall.
nathanrees19

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:11:17 AM

No Refunds I get but no warranty?   Cry
Did I miss something?

They've only had test units for a few weeks. They have no idea if they will still be working in a month; if they fail on a large scale then warranties would kill their profits.
SolarSilver
Legendary

Activity: 1112

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:45:31 AM

An "Avalon unit" includes every component in the box with fans. The contents of that box are irrelevant. If they say it uses 450W, and it uses 620W, then they are fucking liars. Plain and simple. "It's the power supply" is no more relevant than "it's the ASICs". The simple fact is that the shipped unit does not work as described.

But there is a simple explanation, they did not calculate in the phase angle between the current and voltage :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

You need to multiply the marketing power consumption with 1.378 to end up with the real numbers :-)

(Yes I am joking)

Anyways, the supporting electronics like the motherboard, the PDU, fans and power supply itself will not use more than just a handfull of watts, more like 30 or 40 watts.

Don't forget that Jeff measured power consumption with the UPS included, our APC Matrix 3000 uses about 120 Watts to keep it's batteries afloat and run the electronics.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:48:20 AM

Don't forget that Jeff measured power consumption with the UPS included, our APC Matrix 3000 uses about 120 Watts to keep it's batteries afloat and run the electronics.

The measurement was taken with the Kill-A-Watt plugged into the UPS, and the miner plugged into the Kill-A-Watt.  In other words, the Kill-A-Watt was between the UPS and the miner.

Batteries and other miscellany are not included in that measurement.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  

Jump to: