Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:44:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  
Author Topic: First BFL ASIC!  (Read 58260 times)
wojtek

Activity: 75
Merit: 12

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:25:04 AM

at first i was disappointed in verdict, because clearly BFL didn't shipped anything (and i think they won't ship anytime soon). but now i think bet judge did good job. bet was faulty and cound not be resolved with this set of events.

it is clear that only purpose of this topic and those photos was to change outcome of BoB bet. i wonder who is behind it and how much he bet for BFL. however i see nothing wrong in trying to win bet with any (fair) means available.

so unless bet was formulated to be ambiguous on purpose there is no scam here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AndyRossy

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:03:14 AM

I'm pretty pissed over this bet being canceled. (http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=701)
I had betted "disagree".

I started with betsofbitco.in recently, and so far I've only lost and had bets cancelled. I thought this was my first sure win, completely indisputable, and then it gets cancelled too!!

In the editor's note they start out talking about the title being ambiguous, which I think doesn't matter in this case. The biggest problem for me is that they then state "On the other hand the conditions in the description are met." But they aren't. The first condition says "before April 1st" yet this thread wasn't started until 1:36 AM EST on April 1st.

If every condition is true, the statement is true. If any condition is false, the statement is false. No matter if you include the title or not in this one, the statement is false because one of the conditions was false.

People have also said that both sides have compelling arguments so there was no choice but to cancel it. But what is the argument for the "all conditions were met" people? How can you possibly argue that it happened before April 1st with the timestamp stating otherwise?
It was still March 31 in some parts of the world, and a timezone wasn't specified as part of the bet.

The BoB site states that all deadline times are US EST.

Although!!

I just realize a technical problem: The description says "Before April 1st" yet the settings for the statement are set for end of day, April 1st. It's obvious the submitter thought choosing April 1st would mean 12 am April first, when it actually means 11:59pm April 1st. I guess that is enough of a technicality to allow the losers to argue for a draw  Cheesy

Still, others have posted multiple reasons why the statement is false, and I haven't yet seen any compelling reasons why it's true...?

E: Small correction, I bet "Agree". I was sure they would not ship before April 1.

How was this post credible? Pictures were taking by josh - an employee and mailed over.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:18:49 AM

Any betting house who questions that BFL has NOT shipped to customers is in my blacklist.

The product is not finished. End of story. With judgement like that I can only assume they are corrupt.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:04:28 AM

Any betting house who questions that BFL has NOT shipped to customers is in my blacklist.

oh fuck not muyuu's blacklist!

The product is not finished. End of story. With judgement like that I can only assume they are corrupt.

Did the bet specifically mention the product being finished?
keatonatron

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:14:09 AM

oh fuck not muyuu's blacklist!

Did the bet specifically mention the product being finished?

It mentioned the product being shipped to a customer and working. Logically speaking, why would they ship it if it wasn't complete?

I think that's the bulk of Muyuu's reply--if it's not even done, of course they aren't going to ship it to a paying customer.

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
nathanrees19

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

It mentioned the product being shipped to a customer and working.

Did it mention a finished product?

Logically speaking, why would they ship it if it wasn't complete?

There are many reasons, and all of them are irrelevant.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:42:24 AM

As much as I was rooting for BFL in the past (I even asked them for one to test for the first Bitcoin Magazine and was so overjoyed out how stylish their boxes looked over typical "nerdy"-but-functional, ones), I can't help but agree that this bet smells fishy. It's me-style bet wriggling, except they're actually a serious company. I am starting to rethink my position on whether they are a giant scam, and everyone working for them being bribed or what (not because I want to think badly of them, but because it seems to happen more and more in this over-trusting community of pathetic hopefuls).

I hope this is investigated more and this community continues to grow more skeptical (not abusive mind you) of promise, regardless of how many fans are in a box.

Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:43:50 AM

If you think that an unfinished product can be "shipped" you must be brain damaged or trolling.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
nathanrees19

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:21:50 PM

If you think that an unfinished product can be "shipped" you must be brain damaged or trolling.

God, this thread is gold. Keep the laughs coming Smiley
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:24:32 PM

I hope this is investigated more and this community continues to grow more skeptical (not abusive mind you) of promise, regardless of how many fans are in a box.

Absolutely right. BTW where's your scammer Tag? IIRC you made a similar stunt like BFL with your bet?!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:39:38 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 12:59:39 PM by Matthew N. Wright

Absolutely right. BTW where's your scammer Tag? IIRC you made a similar stunt like BFL with your bet?!

I'm not a scammer, just pretty naive of the consequences of my actions on occasion and was acting a bit manic at that time. I've worked and continue to work diligently to make up for my mistakes, including paying people for the bet. In hindsight, I had underestimated the greed in this community and although I did help hundreds of people learn a common sense lesson at a great personal expense, it also had the adverse effect of directing legitimate steam away from Pirate and towards me instead (angry mob-style). At the point I knew it was time to get my life together and I took a long break to do just that.

I'm less concerned with reputation on a forum than I am with the development of my own integrity and principles. When BFL starts showing that same integrity, I'll believe in them again. Right now they're starting to look like a large heist planned by Sonny. Sorry, Sonny, but that shoe is starting to look very comfy on you.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:46:44 PM

You are contributing greatly by being a laughingstock.

Keep up the good work.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
nathanrees19

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:19:20 PM

You are contributing greatly by being a laughingstock.

Keep up the good work.

I believe it goes both ways, yeah?

I'm going to resume laughing at Mr. it's-literally-impossible-to-ship-an-unfinished-product.
DataPlumber

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:29:53 PM

SimCity?

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:38:59 PM

SimCity?

Or really any game / application / operating system / other software ever...even hardware isn't totally perfected at times..hence later renditions of it.

Anyway..I like how this thread has grown by 100% since I was last here. Just to throw in my 2 Satoshis on the previous bet discussion, since the title does count towards the 'betting contract' as coinjedi admitted, then the bet is clearly true. At that point I don't see any way around it, and calling it a draw shouldn't have happened.

Back on topic: Luke, while you were there did you overhear / encounter any other issues besides those relating to power (if you can tell us)? Just wondering if there are other problems with the chips or boards that I get to wait another 6 months for them to resolve...

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:49:48 PM

SimCity?

Shipping a defective product is not the same as shipping an unfinished one to get it finished  Tongue

Luke is not a final customer. Although he might be one in the future.

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:51:57 PM

Hey Nathan, which BFL product did you order?

The 25 GH machine or the 50 GH machine?
DataPlumber

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 06:23:09 PM

SimCity?

Shipping a defective product is not the same as shipping an unfinished one to get it finished  Tongue

Luke is not a final customer. Although he might be one in the future.
Not to get too far afield, but shipping an unfinished product just to get it "finished" / meet a deadline is EXACTLY what happened in SimCity's case, as far as I can tell.

But they were able to claim it shipped.

My point is that you don't have to be 'brain damaged or trolling' to call the shipping of something that "only marginally qualifies as ready" as "shipping."  Companies much larger than BFL have been doing it for decades.

To be clear, I'm not taking a side here, just trying to call out the hyperbole a bit.  But then, this is probably the wrong thread for that.

<puts self on ignore>

tbd

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:40:40 PM

Companies do crazy things to claim to "ship" products.

A long time ago, Miniscribe, a Colorado hard drive manufacturer, shipped bricks (yes, bricks) as hard drives:
In mid-December 1987, Miniscribe's management, with Wiles' approval and Schleibaum's assistance, engaged in an extensive cover-up which included recording the shipment of bricks as in-transit inventory. To implement the plan, Miniscribe employees first rented an empty warehouse in Boulder, Colorado, and procured ten, forty-eight foot exclusive-use trailers. They then purchased 26,000 bricks from the Colorado Brick Company.

On Saturday, December 18, 1987, Schleibaum, Taranta, Huff, Lorea and others gathered at the warehouse. Wiles did not attend. From early morning to late afternoon, those present loaded the bricks onto pallets, shrink wrapped the pallets, and boxed them. The weight of each brick pallet approximated the weight of a pallet of disk drives. The brick pallets then were loaded onto the trailers and taken to a farm in Larimer County, Colorado.

Unsurprisingly, they went bankrupt.

https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/102/102.F3d.1043.94-1592.95-1022.html
coinnewb

Activity: 155

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:42:22 PM

+1
Boycott BoB
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 »
  Print  

Jump to: