Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 10:23:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 399 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Firo (FIRO) - Implementing ZKP privacy without trusted setup  (Read 662504 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (2 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
SatyrA

Activity: 172
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 26, 2018, 08:35:40 PM

We are aware of about 20-30% hashrate on some unaccounted pools. We knew this because when we were trying to notify our pools to hard fork, we couldn't find these guys.

Btw, we are aware of some of the concerns of miners that our hashrate is being dominated by botnets. Ocminer from Suprnova mentioned that previously there were some schools etc who complained to him and he identified them from many small hashrates. He does have a point.

I spoke to miningpoolhub on this and he mentioned that this could be CPU miners as well and he brought up that on other coins, there are single entities with much bigger hashing power as well.

So, both sides have valid points.

Regardless of this, MTP is now an absolute priority and coding is well underway. We will post updates as soon as they are available and a more accurate timeframe can be estimated but tentatively should be by the end of Q2 2018 and hence we won't be doing a another transition algorithm since it's not that far off.

We previously had some concerns of pool software as none of our coders are experienced pool coders but we believe that even if we have to launch with solo mining to start with and then organizing a bounty for an open sourced nomp or yiimp pool for MTP, this would be acceptable. A period of solo mining isn't bad and is true decentralization.

As I don't understand too much from the tech perspective, will MTP solve the botnet mining issue once and for all or are there also problems that might come up some time in the future?

As I understood MTP requires large amount of RAM ~10 Gb. Miner activity will affect behavior of average computer much more and thus will reveal itself. As expected botnet performance will be reduced.

So every mining rig would need 12 GB or so of RAM to be able to continue mining ZCoin? That's a hefty additional expense, particularly with DDR4 systems.

That means it does not only successfully prevent botnets from mining, but also negatively impacts all the average miners who have good intentions?

It may be. But miners have intention to do job for network unlike botnet computers which are just victims and tool in hands of botnet master.
RowenaBeesley

Activity: 20

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:18:46 AM

ZCoin Community Announcement: Vote for XZC to be listed on CryptalDash.com Exchange.

ZCoin has been featured in the New Coin Listing Competition, this is your chance to grow the market cap and liquidity pool of ZCoin.

Support your coin by voting now, voting ends in 8 days. (ZCoin is currently in last place with 0 votes)
https://www.cryptaldash.com/new-coin-listing
ju5tchi11in

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 06:07:47 AM

We are aware of about 20-30% hashrate on some unaccounted pools. We knew this because when we were trying to notify our pools to hard fork, we couldn't find these guys.

Btw, we are aware of some of the concerns of miners that our hashrate is being dominated by botnets. Ocminer from Suprnova mentioned that previously there were some schools etc who complained to him and he identified them from many small hashrates. He does have a point.

I spoke to miningpoolhub on this and he mentioned that this could be CPU miners as well and he brought up that on other coins, there are single entities with much bigger hashing power as well.

Regardless of this, MTP is now an absolute priority and coding is well underway. We will post updates as soon as they are available and a more accurate timeframe can be estimated but tentatively should be by the end of Q2 2018 and hence we won't be doing a another transition algorithm since it's not that far off.

We previously had some concerns of pool software as none of our coders are experienced pool coders but we believe that even if we have to launch with solo mining to start with and then organizing a bounty for an open sourced nomp or yiimp pool for MTP, this would be acceptable. A period of solo mining isn't bad and is true decentralization.

As I don't understand too much from the tech perspective, will MTP solve the botnet mining issue once and for all or are there also problems that might come up some time in the future?

As I understood MTP requires large amount of RAM ~10 Gb. Miner activity will affect behavior of average computer much more and thus will reveal itself. As expected botnet performance will be reduced.

So every mining rig would need 12 GB or so of RAM to be able to continue mining ZCoin? That's a hefty additional expense, particularly with DDR4 systems.

That means it does not only successfully prevent botnets from mining, but also negatively impacts all the average miners who have good intentions?

It may be. But miners have intention to do job for network unlike botnet computers which are just victims and tool in hands of botnet master.

Not so much.

"Reuben Yap 7 months ago

It depends on the parameters. The design goal is actually to allow MTP to go up to 10 gb of RAM while remaining lightweight to verify though the reference implementation is 2 gb."

Zcoin MTP video, only 2minutes 49 seconds to understand it.

https://youtu.be/DAJirQaBIzY
RbiggerG

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 01:17:45 PM

Not so much.

"Reuben Yap 7 months ago

It depends on the parameters. The design goal is actually to allow MTP to go up to 10 gb of RAM while remaining lightweight to verify though the reference implementation is 2 gb."

That seems to be an interesting solution, but I keep thinking of this always as a cat and mouse game. Like no solution is forever when it coms to technology. I can be totally mistaken because I am not a programmer, but maybe one day those who produce Asics find a way to counter this again? Could that happen?

bamsterdam

Activity: 453
Merit: 261

Look Morty magic internet money

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:27:17 PM

Hello,

I just downloaded the latest wallet version because of the hard fork. But after I unzipped the new wallet and tried to open it it got stuck on the loading screen. So I see the zcoin logo but it doenst open the wallet anymore Huh does anyone have a idea why its stuck?
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 02:43:49 PM

Hello,

I just downloaded the latest wallet version because of the hard fork. But after I unzipped the new wallet and tried to open it it got stuck on the loading screen. So I see the zcoin logo but it doenst open the wallet anymore Huh does anyone have a idea why its stuck?

I did not know there was a new wallet. I guess that explained why my wallet was 7 weeks behind with no block source. I downloaded and installed the new wallet and it is working fine. It did not get stuck on the loading screen and it is currently reindexing the blocks on my computer. Maybe try closing down all instances of the program to make sure the DB is free and try running it again.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
Xman79

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 03:19:52 PM

Someone know about https://exba.se/ Huh
The new exchange for Zcoin?
bamsterdam

Activity: 453
Merit: 261

Look Morty magic internet money

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 05:16:58 PM

Hello,

I did not know there was a new wallet. I guess that explained why my wallet was 7 weeks behind with no block source. I downloaded and installed the new wallet and it is working fine. It did not get stuck on the loading screen and it is currently reindexing the blocks on my computer. Maybe try closing down all instances of the program to make sure the DB is free and try running it again.

I deleted everything and downloaded the wallet again 0.13.5.7 but same problem. After deleting all files in roaming except wallet.dat it opened. So it worked out but its kinda strange that the wallet wont open after a fresh download. Maybe a bug ?
RhinoTrader

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 06:43:13 PM

Hello,

I deleted everything and downloaded the wallet again 0.13.5.7 but same problem. After deleting all files in roaming except wallet.dat it opened. So it worked out but its kinda strange that the wallet wont open after a fresh download. Maybe a bug ?

I have seen some problems with the wallet in the past
It sucks that there are not better options just to sweep the coins to a temporary place or to spend them

I hope ledger support comes in 2018
ju5tchi11in

View Profile
March 27, 2018, 06:48:36 PM

Not so much.

"Reuben Yap 7 months ago

That seems to be an interesting solution, but I keep thinking of this always as a cat and mouse game. Like no solution is forever when it coms to technology. I can be totally mistaken because I am not a programmer, but maybe one day those who produce Asics find a way to counter this again? Could that happen?

They call them ASIC resistance algorithms. So they resist but are not ASIC proof.  Because of the memory usage, it increases the cost to produce a machine hopefully making it less profitable for them to make it for this coin/algorithm.  It should do a good job of identifying bots and help reduce those since the memory usage will hopefully alert the user that their computer is infected.

Other than that the mining difficulty is about to crack 29k, ouch.
ju5tchi11in

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 12:20:40 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2018, 12:37:05 AM by ju5tchi11in

Reuben posted a new update on Zcoin 3 hours ago on youtube 19min 47 sec video.

https://youtu.be/3DlsJXoXxiI

A couple highlights:

-Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake.
-Reaffirming Zcoin maintaining itself as a currency.
-Timeline of other coins progress ICO, or PoW phase, into PoS phases etc. and now Zcoin compares to it or will compare to those other timelines.
-MTP to ensure large distribution of Zcoins
-(Spoke on this before) MTP rollout solo-mining probably, probably bounty for pool mining programming as the Zcoin team does not have expertise in this area.
-Ensuring decentralization.

cyberspacemonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 03:47:22 AM

They call them ASIC resistance algorithms. So they resist but are not ASIC proof.  Because of the memory usage, it increases the cost to produce a machine hopefully making it less profitable for them to make it for this coin/algorithm.  It should do a good job of identifying bots and help reduce those since the memory usage will hopefully alert the user that their computer is infected.

Not only that but the price is diving too just like pretty much almost every altcoin right now, it's really not worth mining if you're just selling it right away.
ju5tchi11in

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 05:24:39 AM

They call them ASIC resistance algorithms. So they resist but are not ASIC proof.  Because of the memory usage, it increases the cost to produce a machine hopefully making it less profitable for them to make it for this coin/algorithm.  It should do a good job of identifying bots and help reduce those since the memory usage will hopefully alert the user that their computer is infected.

Not only that but the price is diving too just like pretty much almost every altcoin right now, it's really not worth mining if you're just selling it right away.

Keep mining to secure the network and support the project. Hodl the coins you earn. Create Znode.
rdepth

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 28, 2018, 11:42:45 AM

Check out ZCoin masternode stats at https://coinmasternodes.info/
SwissBoo

Activity: 700
Merit: 1

SetupMasternodes.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2018, 10:02:21 PM

Anyone in Zcoin need help troubleshooting or setup with their masternode?
Pm me for help and Check out: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3213738

Create Your own Full Masternode VPS without Technical Skills in 1 HOUR
==>  https://www.SetupMasternodes.com  <==
jackbox
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 12:03:06 AM

Earn 0.10 to 0.25 BTC per day joining the newest Masternode coin

Click Here!

(never invest more then that you are willing to loose)

scam

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
Tonisim

Activity: 532
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:19:56 PM

Difference of ZCoin & ZCash, PoW vs. PoS, MTP and Sigma! Fun interview with Reuben of ZCoin discussing various topics including the differences between ZCoin and ZCash, his view on Proof of Work vs. Proof of Stake, update on MTP and Sigma for ZCoin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUr1MdQZIWs
GreenPanda

Merit: 20

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:34:35 PM

I'm reindexing the blocks for the 4th time on win7 for the new wallet version. But when reindexing is done, it shows as if the wallet is fully sync but in fact I'm lagging over 150 blocks on the chain and my recent transfers are not appearing on my address. Also during the night, it moved from blocks 80406 to 80408 (advanced 2 blocks in 8 hours!) but we're currently at block 80550... But still the wallet says fully sync and up to date?!

ju5tchi11in

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:59:15 PM

I'm reindexing the blocks for the 4th time on win7 for the new wallet version. But when reindexing is done, it shows as if the wallet is fully sync but in fact I'm lagging over 150 blocks on the chain and my recent transfers are not appearing on my address. Also during the night, it moved from blocks 80406 to 80408 (advanced 2 blocks in 8 hours!) but we're currently at block 80550... But still the wallet says fully sync and up to date?!

Do you have v0.13.5.7?

Also, this if you have not already: https://zcoinkb.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/znode-stuck-on-block-80421/

Try updating to windows10.
GreenPanda

Merit: 20

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 04:09:51 PM
Last edit: March 29, 2018, 04:20:46 PM by GreenPanda

Do you have v0.13.5.7?

Also, this if you have not already: https://zcoinkb.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/znode-stuck-on-block-80421/

Try updating to windows10.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's the exact same problem addressed at the link you provided! That should do it! *Edit: It did it!

Pages: « 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 [322] 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 ... 399 »
  Print  

Jump to: