Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:53:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon A7 announced  (Read 147408 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mc162BCT

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 01:49:36 AM

Ordered and received a pair of the 741's today with the new controller and for reasons unknown I can't seem to get the damn thing to show up on my network.

Canaan really doesn't seem interested in any in depth setup instructions they just have basically a 4 minute youtube video of a guy setting up and that would normally be fine but I've got a sneaking suspicion that they sent me two miners and a controller that left BLANK and I mean BLANK as in no firmware.

Could this be possible?

Likely?

I have no idea but in 4yrs of mining never once have I encountered a miner that wouldn't show up on the network when my router settings are specifically tailored to welcome such devices etc..

I've had miners show up that I couldn't access like a password situation or similar but this thing is nowhere to be found and I've run every IP sniffing app I could find in the app store and my working hypothesis would be that perhaps while packing my somebody grabbed a controller from what I assume would be a big pile of controllers and perhaps mixed up the piles of "ready to be flashed" and "flashed" and they packed mine from that "ready but not yet flashed" pile?

I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

DISCLAIMER: I'm an Apple only person all the down to my routers so if please be gentle ;-)

I use an apple router because it's the only one dumb enough for somebody like me whose eyes glaze just thinking about "Advanced Network Settings" etc..

That said I've managed to mine without many problems for years without having to flash any raspberry pi's or beagle bones I'd like to avoid that if at all possible because frankly I don't even own the equipment necessary to perform such a task.

Apple kinda started going without ports and sd cards a few years ago so I don't know even know if could solve this issue if a flashing were to be in the suggested steps to take next.

I've put in support tickets with Canaan but I'm really starting to get the feeling I've got a controller with a blank SD card in it.

Would appreciate anything anybody might have to offer in the way ideas.

Cheers,
MichaelC
StevenMosher

Activity: 74
Merit: 76

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 02:17:21 AM

Glad to see someone from Canaan here. Welcome StevenMosher!

Query: Is the error control process and speed throttling why the miners report hash rate to monitor programs like we see in post #345? (saving eyeball room by not reposting pic so soon). The plot is 1hr long.

I talked to the author of Awesome Miner and he looked over what the api reports and said that graph is accurate and is what cgminer reports when queried by Awesome every 15 seconds. Don't get me wrong - the graph may not be pretty but the total average hash rate seen by kano is correct so this is not a problem, just a puzzle. I just wonder what the Canaan does to make their GUI graph so even.

Love your miners and so far have 3x 721's and 2x 741's Smiley

Ah it's good to be back in the ASIC world  (old guys might remember me from 3D graphics)  The chips function pretty much as I described. As for the GUI, it depends what variable you are looking at-- I will get a crash course later this week,  but in general the values on the real time graphs would be  moving averages with different time windows ( as I understand it ). Consequently, they would be smooth. 
The "Creative Labs" Steven Mosher?

Yup. After Creative I went to do Linux cell phone,  then spent a bunch of years doing Open source  ( R stats) packages. back to hardware.
Well, I think it is pretty awesome to see you around again. I was always a fan of Creative Labs products and extensively used their MP3 players alongside their other products.

Anyway, it would be really cool to see Canaan Creative build and sell another Avalon based usb miner. I would love to see how well the A3212 performs in a device of that type.

I was just thinking about that this morning. There are a bunch of product ideas swirling around in my head, and like always I vallue the feedback and ideas of the community. The last version wasn't quite all it needed to be in my mind, so the next version would have to be a step up in ease of use. Glad you enjoyed the Mp3 players, The first 3 or 4 generations came out of my department, and then I turned it over to  "normal"  brand managers  once it was established as a category.

Sales & Marketing: Canaan.io
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 02:27:41 AM

While yer here, I'm going to upgrade firmware tomorrow and see newer versions in the github.
https://github.com/Canaan-Creative/avalon7-docs/wiki/AvalonMiner-721-firmware-downloads
Any reason to NOT try using the even more recent 20170310 release vs the Dec 29 one?

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
StevenMosher

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 02:37:11 AM

While yer here, I'm going to upgrade firmware tomorrow and see newer versions in the github.
https://github.com/Canaan-Creative/avalon7-docs/wiki/AvalonMiner-721-firmware-downloads
Any reason to NOT try using the even more recent 20170310 release vs the Dec 29 one?

None that I know of. The CTO gets in to the office in a little bit. I will ask her when she gets here.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 02:39:10 AM

None that I know of. The CTO gets in to the office in a little bit. I will ask her when she gets here.
Got it. Thanks!

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
PeaMine

Activity: 979
Merit: 510

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 06:33:15 AM

mc162BCT what method of connection are you using from the controller to public internet, Ethernet or wifi, connecting to what, which connects to what, etc?
Wifi is disabled by default, so use Ethernet first.
On my router, it used the first free IP from the range via DHCP IPv4.

I still have some speakers from creative labs  small world. Grin

back to mining

I have 3 of the avalon 721's nice gear

Me too! Quite a few products I think.

Datacenter Technician and Electrician.  If you have any questions feel free to ask me as I am generally bored looking at logs and happy to help during free time.
mc162BCT

Activity: 30

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 06:41:44 AM

Thanks to NotfuzzyWarm  Wink

Through looking at one his links on a related thread about the new firmware and the variable raspi setups I found that my network was not allowing any IP's below 192.168.2.xx be seen therefore blocking my perfectly normal brand new miners and controller.

Just a word to whoever it might find interesting these machines ship with a default already assigned IP i guess?

Anyway it said somewhere on that link with the set ups to flash to new firmware that the device "has a default IP address of 192.168.0.100

So my issue it turned out through trial and failures seemed be my router settings needed to be allowed to assign range from 192.168.0. and after I switched it from 192.168.2. it immediately showed up and it's amazingly easy to daisy chain btw.

Thanks everybody I'll take down the multi-post solicitation.

Cheers ;-)

in2tactics

Activity: 578
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 28, 2017, 11:54:14 AM

I was just thinking about that this morning. There are a bunch of product ideas swirling around in my head, and like always I vallue the feedback and ideas of the community. The last version wasn't quite all it needed to be in my mind, so the next version would have to be a step up in ease of use. Glad you enjoyed the Mp3 players, The first 3 or 4 generations came out of my department, and then I turned it over to  "normal"  brand managers  once it was established as a category.
It is my opinion that there is a lot of interest in usb devices. I think the lack of any new usb devices by the major producers of Bitcoin miners has left a void within the community. You are definitely right about the last one produced by Canaan Creative not really being what it needed to be.

I pretty much used all of your early MP3 players simply because you put the right mix of features in your devices that completely blew away the competition. I mean, seriously, how can your competition simply leave out a simple FM radio? LOL... Unfortunately, I think the cell phone industry killed the MP3 player industry.

Current HW: 2x Apollo
Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
yxt (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 05:16:09 PM

I upgraded >100 A741, working fine
So I asume the 721version is working also:)

BTCKano Pool██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██
██
██
██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
██ ██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
   ██
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2017, 10:56:14 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2017, 03:05:16 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

I upgraded >100 A741, working fine
So I asume the 721version is working also:)
Yeah, about that...
Found a very good reason to be careful when you mix 721's and 741's on the same node (Ripi). 1st, glad I put the 3x 721's and the 741 on separate dongles (strings). Made it easy to see/understand what is to follow. The 741 is ASIC-0 and the 3x 721's are ASIC-1

This will show why it is a must-have to have another pre-configured Ripi as a spare....

While poking around Canaan's github I saw that not only is there updated controller firmware but also updated .mcs miner firmware. Soooo, silly me picked up the latest 741 hardware (.mcs)  file and applied it. Never occurred to me that the file is applied to ALL miners on that node. In my case, 3x 721 and 1x 741. My bad...

The 741 -- happy as a clam Smiley
The 3x 721's however -- very unhappy about thinking they were now 741's Sad
Node went from a combined average of 27-28THs to 15THs at best. 8.xx of the speed was from the happy 741 as expected. The 3x 721's however dropped from a usual 3*6.2THs to at best 3*3THs...

Of course I applied this at the end of day, thankfully Friday so just let 'em run to be fixed off-work on Sat.

Again, nice having a spare RiPi, in my case an old -1 but in a nice case etc. Is a Canna kit - any relation?  Loaded with the RiPi firmware from the Canaan site I so often quote, and preset with my pool & network setup. Got in Sat morning, one at a time put each miner on the test node and flashed with the latest .mcs firmware -- this time paying attention to use the correct 721 or 741 specific files. Put them back on the work node - success!

All is now well and the work node is once again steadily banging around 27+THs again.Speaking of 'steadily' - remember me mentioning how Awesome Minoer was reporting wild hash rate spikes? As in the node hitting 80 THs or more as sharp spikes followed by equally dramatic dips. Look back for it. Anywho, after the fixes and applying the latest controller firm/software -- once again the Awesome hash rate graphing reads right! No more wild spike swamping out the far lower hash rates of the mere around 13THs s9/t9's. Smiley

Very readable 26-30THs range to the Avalon node over any given 5min, totally on-par with the proportionately smaller variance all my s9 and T9's show. A lot easier to see those now since not buried in the mud from showing 80 some-odd instantaneous speed. Wink

Morals:
Keep a spare, pre-setup RiPi handy to use as a test node. Keeps the main node(s) alive while you fix fups.

At least when flashing the model-specific *.mcs miner firmware for the hardware itself -- segregate the 721 and 741 miners first!

Cheers!
Edit - eye candy of I think my 1st portable mp3 player...

Took the pic a few days ago, still works and still love the USB-stick setup of it. My current 'lil Sansa with it's 32GB sd card may be smaller/lighter but still gotta love this. Good design there.

in2tactics

View Profile
May 04, 2017, 02:31:24 AM

Took the pic a few days ago, still works and still love the USB-stick setup of it. My current 'lil Sansa with it's 32GB sd card may be smaller/lighter but still gotta love this. Good design there.
Nice! Unfortunately, my last Creative Labs MP3 player was stolen. UGH

Retired HW: 3x 2PAC, 3x Moonlander 2, 2x AntMiner S7-LN, 5x AntMiner U1, 2x ASICMiner Block Erupter Cube, 4x AntMiner S3, 4x AntMiner S1, GAW Black Widow, and ZeusMiner Thunder X6
donatebitcointome

Activity: 48

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:53:20 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2017, 06:27:32 AM by donatebitcointome

Anyone could tell me whether Avalon 741 Could Be Run With EVGA 1200 P2 Power Supply with no problem in the long run or better use EVGA 1600 P2 ?

or maybe 2x EVGA 750 G2 ?

Thanks.
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 08:42:43 AM

Anyone could tell me whether Avalon 741 Could Be Run With EVGA 1200 P2 Power Supply with no problem in the long run   [.....]
Yes.

donatebitcointome

Activity: 48

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 08:53:45 AM

Anyone could tell me whether Avalon 741 Could Be Run With EVGA 1200 P2 Power Supply with no problem in the long run   [.....]
Yes.

Thanks. That's good to hear. So EVGA 1200 P2 will be no problem for 24/7/365 run ?
As I read somewhere in this forum that Thermaltake 1200w burns out after 30 hours run.
HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 09:20:41 AM

Yes.

Thanks. That's good to hear. So EVGA 1200 P2 will be no problem for 24/7/365 run ?
As I read somewhere in this forum that Thermaltake 1200w burns out after 30 hours run.
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W is a crap quality power supply.
It has only two times 36A (12V3 and 12V4 rail) for VGA cards.
That is about 12V*72A = 864 W  only.

HagssFIN
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 07:20:09 PM

Canaan Creative sets new price 714USD for the A741 and talks about moving production to 7nm in 2018 .

Interesting.. They are the first miner manufacturer to talk about future smaller node process. No schedule news from Bitmain, yet.

https://canaan.io/2017/05/21/canaan-sets-new-pricing-for-avalonminer-741/
Code:
HONG KONG, May 21, 2017 – ​Hong Kong based Canaan.io ​announced a dramatic move in prices on it’s Avalon series of miners. 
As the price of cryptocurrencies continue to escalate, our drop in pricing makes mining an attractive option again for the individual miner.
Steven Mosher, Head of Global sales, said “Going forward we expect the companies that build mining
equipment to make more regular and predictable increases in machine capability.
The next big jump in capability won’t happen until production moves to 7nm in 2018,
so it makes sense to move the prices down and open up more opportunity for individual miners.”

SMART-SPEED.
The AvalonMiner 741 delivers a hash rate that does not fall below 7.3 TH/s and can achieve rates above 8 TH/s.
This performance is the result of a unique chip design.
Unlike other ASICs that are speed sorted, the A3212, is designed to “find” its optimum speed
by dynamically increasing the internal clocks and simultaneously verifying the output.
Min Chen, Canaan Chief Technology Officer explains:
“With SMART SPEED every chip is pushed to its optimum frequency based on the real time conditions.
We dynamically monitor the hashing functions to ensure that only valid hashes are output while driving
every internal core to the maximum achievable frequency for that core”
Pricing And Availability​:
The AvalonMiner 741 is now available priced at $714 on canaan.io.

leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:08:50 AM

Canaan Creative sets new price 714USD for the A741 and talks about moving production to 7nm in 2018 .

Interesting.. They are the first miner manufacturer to talk about future smaller node process. No schedule news from Bitmain, yet.

Code:
HONG KONG, May 21, 2017 – ​Hong Kong based Canaan.io ​announced a dramatic move in prices on it’s Avalon series of miners. 
As the price of cryptocurrencies continue to escalate, our drop in pricing makes mining an attractive option again for the individual miner.
Steven Mosher, Head of Global sales, said “Going forward we expect the companies that build mining
The next big jump in capability won’t happen until production moves to 7nm in 2018,
so it makes sense to move the prices down and open up more opportunity for individual miners.”

SMART-SPEED.
The AvalonMiner 741 delivers a hash rate that does not fall below 7.3 TH/s and can achieve rates above 8 TH/s.
Unlike other ASICs that are speed sorted, the A3212, is designed to “find” its optimum speed
by dynamically increasing the internal clocks and simultaneously verifying the output.
“With SMART SPEED every chip is pushed to its optimum frequency based on the real time conditions.
We dynamically monitor the hashing functions to ensure that only valid hashes are output while driving

Nice pricing they've got there, I'm interested to see if they're actually going to hit that date they mention in 2018. We're talking about feature sizes rivalling Intel and AMD's, which is pretty exciting. Glad to see Avalon under new management is much more competent than before, keeping the beast Bitmain under control.
StevenMosher

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 12:53:31 AM

Code:

SMART-SPEED.

Nice pricing they've got there, I'm interested to see if they're actually going to hit that date they mention in 2018. We're talking about feature sizes rivalling Intel and AMD's, which is pretty exciting. Glad to see Avalon under new management is much more competent than before, keeping the beast Bitmain under control.

Thanks guys.  More to come.    With BTC going up I thought we might have an opportunity  decentralize some more and so, A new price to make it more economical for users around the world.

in2tactics

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 01:07:37 AM

I am not sure that Canaan meant that they would get down to the 7nm node in 2018. If you read the language carefully, it sounds like they only meant that there will not be any further progress until AFTER the big players like TSMC hit 7/10nm in 2018. I know that I am taking a bit of liberty in my translation, but it is in line with current road maps.

StevenMosher

View Profile
May 22, 2017, 01:08:12 AM

Nice! Unfortunately, my last Creative Labs MP3 player was stolen. UGH

I loved that design.  In fact it gave rise to a project called Lego.  The idea was simple. Different bricks snap together lego style.
  Alas it never shipped.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: