Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:43:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 282 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][The Original Multipool - Scrypt/SHA256/Scrypt-N/X11] multipool.us  (Read 424111 times)
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 06:49:54 PM

I am curious what the theory is behind after I get the coins, is it more profitable to sell them as soon as I acquire them or hold on to them?

On one hand, you can make sure that you get the profits from whatever coin your mining if you sell right away, but on the other, waiting can allow the value to increase or also decrease and the coin can die.  I was just wondering if anyone else had any insight or theory about holding vs selling right away.

Pools like this one should be avoided or banned because they are a kick in the face to the early adopters/ supporters of the coins targeted.

This also creates alot of extra work trying to sell alts that no one, besides the exchange bots, will want to buy. By the time your coins will have confirmed, the well timed pump will have long been dumped and the miner will make a fraction of what was expected.

HT xD

Who do you propose would ban those pools? Government? Community? How do you propose they do so? It is a free market here: If a coin cannot handle sudden influx of hash power, may be it should not exist at the first place. Most of those coins do not bring anything to the table other than making few creators some money - they are just attempts to clone good and established currencies such as BTC and LTC, nothing more. I, as a free market player vote with my hash power switching to the most profitable pool to bring those coins down for good.

From what I'm seeing.. it artificially props them up, thanks to the high earning potential percentages reported by sites like Coinchoose. If a new coin is to survive, let the commutity decide and not some random pool operator.

Noobs with P&D trading bots does not constitue a free market. The MEM dump and devaluation is a prime example.

Its not that the network can't handle the influx. Its the higher (and sometimes too high) difficulty that the early adopters are left to deal with once 'the hoard' moves on. The potential for a coin to get 51'd is also a concern.

HT xD

kslavik

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

GET IN - Smart Ticket Protocol - Live in market!

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 07:22:36 PM

From what I'm seeing.. it artificially props them up, thanks to the high earning potential percentages reported by sites like Coinchoose. If a new coin is to survive, let the commutity decide and not some random pool operator.

Noobs with P&D trading bots does not constitue a free market. The MEM dump and devaluation is a prime example.

Its not that the network can't handle the influx. Its the higher (and sometimes too high) difficulty that the early adopters are left to deal with once 'the hoard' moves on. The potential for a coin to get 51'd is also a concern.

HT xD

Whoever is buying, selling or mining those coins ARE part of the free market - weather you like it or not (even if they are noobs). Only currencies which are desired and held and transacted with by a large # of participants of the market will survive. I only hold BTC, LTC and couple of other smaller ones, because I believe they are here to stay. If you like other currencies - buy and hold them.

So, what is so bad about higher difficulty? BTC and LTC have the highest difficulty and they are the least profitable most of the time, but everybody want them the most and they are doing just fine. I understand that they were first to market, but any new coins which are created have to deal with potential of the huge hash power which is out there. This hash power will find the most profitable coin even if sites like multipool or coinchoose wouldn't exit.

The real problem is that nobody want those coins unless they can by sold for profit.

████
             ███  ███
           ████     ███
         ███  ███    ███
       ████     ███    ███
     ███  ███     ███    ███
   ████     ███     ███   ██
 ███  ███     █████████████████
███     ███     ███           ██
 ███      ███     ██          ██
   ███      ██████████      ███
     ███      ██████      ███
       ███      ██      ███
         ███          ███
           ███      ███
             ███  ███
               ████

GUTS
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

smart-ticket protocol for events
live product with market traction!
    ███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

BTC ANN
  WEBSITE
  BLOG

SANDBOX
  WHITEPAPER
  BOUNTY

erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:08:36 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2013, 11:19:11 PM by erk

The concept of this pool sounds great, but since a good portion of the pool appears to not be using the auto feature, wouldn't the use of PPLNS cause miners to lose money since they are bouncing around from coin to coin?  It seems like this would be much better implemented using PPS.

Let me give you an example of the bouncing effect.

ARG network hash rate  was a low 10kH/s, at block 54,501,  so the difficulty dropped, as it does every 250 blocks, this time from 0.85 to 0.2 this made ARG jump up to just over 600% profitability, which made multipool.in hop and suddenly add over 320kH/s to the hash rate,  an increase of 3,000% plus whatever other pool hoppers elsewhere did. Since the next 250 ARG blocks were found in minutes, the difficulty jumped back up to 0.85, multipool pool bounced again, leaving ARG with a network hash rate of around 17kH/s currently, and a block time of many minutes instead of the 32sec the coins difficulty target is designed for. This is not fair on the supporters of ARG.

My suggestion is either let the miners keep some hashing power on ARG by opening up the direct port again,  or take it out of the multipool rotation. multpooli.in represents  >51% of the ARG nethash when the miners are pointed to it.
captainfuture

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:16:50 PM

cant connect to pool1.eu.multipool.in:7777

still cant connect. whats going on?

still dead.

anyone else can connect to eu multiport?
flound1129 (OP)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:30:54 PM

I am curious what the theory is behind after I get the coins, is it more profitable to sell them as soon as I acquire them or hold on to them?

On one hand, you can make sure that you get the profits from whatever coin your mining if you sell right away, but on the other, waiting can allow the value to increase or also decrease and the coin can die.  I was just wondering if anyone else had any insight or theory about holding vs selling right away.

Pools like this one should be avoided or banned because they are a kick in the face to the early adopters/ supporters of the coins targeted.

This also creates alot of extra work trying to sell alts that no one, besides the exchange bots, will want to buy. By the time your coins will have confirmed, the well timed pump will have long been dumped and the miner will make a fraction of what was expected.

HT xD

I figured something like this would be said eventually.  Look, the fact is that people are already coin hopping manually or by other means (cryptoswitcher, etc.)

If the coin developers don't like people hopping on and off their coin, they should take steps to stabilize the difficulty.  Some coins have done this with varying amounts of success.  I am under no obligation to help 'early adopters' of any coin make money.  I am also under no obligation to provide infrastructure to coin developers without any compensation.  

I have put a lot of work into this pool (practically all my free time since April), and I am spending my own time and money to provide an extremely stable and reliable infrastructure.  If I add a coin to my pool it will be under my terms and nobody else's.  If the ARG, LKY or PXC or any other heavily premined altcoin developers want me to add a general use pool for their coin or open up their coin's port for direct mining they can contact me and maybe we can arrange something.

Multipool - Always mine the most profitable coin - Scrypt, X11 or SHA-256!
flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:32:45 PM

cant connect to pool1.eu.multipool.in:7777

still cant connect. whats going on?

still dead.

anyone else can connect to eu multiport?

Should be back up shortly.

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:52:26 PM

HT xD

Who do you propose would ban those pools? Government? Community? How do you propose they do so? It is a free market here: If a coin cannot handle sudden influx of hash power, may be it should not exist at the first place. Most of those coins do not bring anything to the table other than making few creators some money - they are just attempts to clone good and established currencies such as BTC and LTC, nothing more. I, as a free market player vote with my hash power switching to the most profitable pool to bring those coins down for good.

HT xD

If anything we reduce the value of those coins because our members are (for the most part) looking to maximize profit, not true believers of some coin looking to mine and hold.  So most of these coins are being dumped as soon as they are mined.

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:53:31 PM

The concept of this pool sounds great, but since a good portion of the pool appears to not be using the auto feature, wouldn't the use of PPLNS cause miners to lose money since they are bouncing around from coin to coin?  It seems like this would be much better implemented using PPS.

Let me give you an example of the bouncing effect.

ARG network hash rate  was a low 10kH/s, at block 54,501,  so the difficulty dropped, as it does every 250 blocks, this time from 0.85 to 0.2 this made ARG jump up to just over 600% profitability, which made multipool.in hop and suddenly add over 320kH/s to the hash rate,  an increase of 3,000% plus whatever other pool hoppers elsewhere did. Since the next 250 ARG blocks were found in minutes, the difficulty jumped back up to 0.85, multipool pool bounced again, leaving ARG with a network hash rate of around 17kH/s currently, and a block time of many minutes instead of the 32sec the coins difficulty target is designed for. This is not fair on the supporters of ARG.

The same thing happens with MNC and LKY, in fact this is the main characteristic of those coins that makes them attractive for Multipool to mine.  The people holding the coin shouldn't worry because they aren't trying to sell it (right?) so they don't need the fast transactions anyway.  If any one of these coins really takes off, the network hashrate should dwarf multipool anyway.

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 11:57:39 PM

The real problem is that nobody want those coins unless they can by sold for profit.

Exactly. Unless you are a "true believer" in most of these coins, the only thing to do with them is dump them for a coin you can actually buy things with or has long term potential.

Do you think the PXC developers are going to hold on to that million coin premine forever?

nearmiss

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:13:46 AM

HT xD

I figured something like this would be said eventually.  Look, the fact is that people are already coin hopping manually or by other means (cryptoswitcher, etc.)

If the coin developers don't like people hopping on and off their coin, they should take steps to stabilize the difficulty.  Some coins have done this with varying amounts of success.  I am under no obligation to help 'early adopters' of any coin make money.  I am also under no obligation to provide infrastructure to coin developers without any compensation.  

I have put a lot of work into this pool (practically all my free time since April), and I am spending my own time and money to provide an extremely stable and reliable infrastructure.  If I add a coin to my pool it will be under my terms and nobody else's.  If the ARG, LKY or PXC or any other heavily premined altcoin developers want me to add a general use pool for their coin or open up their coin's port for direct mining they can contact me and maybe we can arrange something.

The fact people are already coin hoping is no reason to give them a completely hands off way of doing it, and doesn't magically absolve you from being part of the problem.   Its not the coin devs that don't like it, its the people mining the coin the 99% of the time its not top of coinchoose (presumably because they believe the coin has merit). Your pool hops on, owns the network for 20-30min until diff adjusts, then hops off, leaving the actual coin supporters left with another grind at a higher than required difficulty.  Remember what happened to FTC, and being stuck on a ridiculously high diff?  Your doing similar, on purpose, on an almost daily basis.  Thankfully most coins adjust at an appropriate rate to not require hard forks these days, but it doesn't mean the affect isn't felt.  

Call it free market, call it whatever you like, at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact its overall a pretty negative impact on the coins involved and the community behind them.  Perhaps your right, and many of these don't deserve to survive in the long run, especially if they 'can't handle this', but not sure that makes it any better that your contributing to their problems.

Props to you on a technical level, for putting this all together.   I respect what you've managed to build, but hate the concept and end results of it in pretty much every way.   Good luck to you, and to those mining at your pool.  Its hard to envision they are actually making what they hope to be by the time they've mined any significant amount of coins, but guess they must be if its that popular.  

To each their own.

Profit-Switching Pool w/ Vardiff -> http://hashco.ws  Optionally keep the alts we mine or auto-trade for BTC. In addition can be paid out in any of: 365, AC, BC,  BTC, C2, CINNI, COMM, FAC, HBN, MINT, PMC, QRK, RDD, WC, XBC
everybodyclapyohands

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

On one hand, you can make sure that you get the profits from whatever coin your mining if you sell right away, but on the other, waiting can allow the value to increase or also decrease and the coin can die.  I was just wondering if anyone else had any insight or theory about holding vs selling right away.

HT xD

I figured something like this would be said eventually.  Look, the fact is that people are already coin hopping manually or by other means (cryptoswitcher, etc.)

If the coin developers don't like people hopping on and off their coin, they should take steps to stabilize the difficulty.  Some coins have done this with varying amounts of success.  I am under no obligation to help 'early adopters' of any coin make money.  I am also under no obligation to provide infrastructure to coin developers without any compensation. 

I have put a lot of work into this pool (practically all my free time since April), and I am spending my own time and money to provide an extremely stable and reliable infrastructure.  If I add a coin to my pool it will be under my terms and nobody else's.  If the ARG, LKY or PXC or any other heavily premined altcoin developers want me to add a general use pool for their coin or open up their coin's port for direct mining they can contact me and maybe we can arrange something.

The fact people are already coin hoping is no reason to give them a completely hands off way of doing it, and doesn't magically absolve you from being part of the problem.   Its not the coin devs that don't like it, its the people mining the coin the 99% of the time its not top of coinchoose (presumably because they believe the coin has merit). Your pool hops on, owns the network for 20-30min until diff adjusts, then hops off, leaving the actual coin supporters left with another grind at a higher than required difficulty.  Remember what happened to FTC, and being stuck on a ridiculously high diff?  Your doing similar, on purpose, on an almost daily basis.  Thankfully most coins adjust at an appropriate rate to not require hard forks these days, but it doesn't mean the affect isn't felt. 

Call it free market, call it whatever you like, at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact its overall a pretty negative impact on the coins involved and the community behind them.  Perhaps your right, and many of these don't deserve to survive in the long run, especially if they 'can't handle this', but not sure that makes it any better that your contributing to their problems.

Props to you on a technical level, for putting this all together.   I respect what you've managed to build, but hate the concept and end results of it in pretty much every way.   Good luck to you, and to those mining at your pool.  Its hard to envision they are actually making what they hope to be by the time they've mined any significant amount of coins, but guess they must be if its that popular. 

To each their own.

+1 PRECISELY my thoughts on this. Just because people do it already doesn't mean you should make it easier for them. This and the integration into CGWatcher and other utilities will begin to kill some coins that deserve better.

Secure Online Wallet - https://mywl.lt - Vote for your favorite coin
IRC Wallets #digitalcoin on irc.freenode.net
DGC Faucet Free digitalcoin Open source faucet written in NodeJS
ahmed_bodi

Activity: 518

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:17:45 AM

agreed with the above post. Ive been in the position of having all my coins invested into mincoin, then the flashminers came along, and pretty much killed it making me lose pretty much all i had due to the value taking a sky dive. You're pretty much killing coins on a daily basis, with not a care in the world of the effort it takes to get a coin out of that high diff mess

Bitrated user: ahmedbodi.
12gaFacelift

Activity: 277

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:22:40 AM

the pool do nothing that https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=185553.0 and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248173.0 dont... then you can always cry the system to jump on the most profitable coin will stay you like it or not.

Never argue with idiots, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience. ~ *CANADA ONLY* Colloidal Silver Wire Rod - 12 Gauge Pure Silver .9999 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=775964.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=731923.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1323657.0
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:25:09 AM

agreed with the above post. Ive been in the position of having all my coins invested into mincoin, then the flashminers came along, and pretty much killed it making me lose pretty much all i had due to the value taking a sky dive. You're pretty much killing coins on a daily basis, with not a care in the world of the effort it takes to get a coin out of that high diff mess

It's not healthy, I see it like refusing to slow down at school crossings arguing that the kids should learn to get out of the way faster, then having a dig at the parents.

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:33:51 AM

HT xD

The fact people are already coin hoping is no reason to give them a completely hands off way of doing it, and doesn't magically absolve you from being part of the problem.   Its not the coin devs that don't like it, its the people mining the coin the 99% of the time its not top of coinchoose (presumably because they believe the coin has merit). Your pool hops on, owns the network for 20-30min until diff adjusts, then hops off, leaving the actual coin supporters left with another grind at a higher than required difficulty.  Remember what happened to FTC, and being stuck on a ridiculously high diff?  Your doing similar, on purpose, on an almost daily basis.  Thankfully most coins adjust at an appropriate rate to not require hard forks these days, but it doesn't mean the affect isn't felt.  

Call it free market, call it whatever you like, at the end of the day it doesn't change the fact its overall a pretty negative impact on the coins involved and the community behind them.  Perhaps your right, and many of these don't deserve to survive in the long run, especially if they 'can't handle this', but not sure that makes it any better that your contributing to their problems.

Props to you on a technical level, for putting this all together.   I respect what you've managed to build, but hate the concept and end results of it in pretty much every way.   Good luck to you, and to those mining at your pool.  Its hard to envision they are actually making what they hope to be by the time they've mined any significant amount of coins, but guess they must be if its that popular.  

To each their own.

+1 PRECISELY my thoughts on this. Just because people do it already doesn't mean you should make it easier for them. This and the integration into CGWatcher and other utilities will begin to kill some coins that deserve better.

Which coins, and why do they deserve better?

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:35:44 AM

You had everything invested in a coin that even the developer abandoned?

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:44:22 AM

HT xD

The FTC developers addressed the problem and it is now not a problem for that coin anymore.  It's not my or my miners' fault if other coins, even with the benefit of prior knowledge of what happened to FTC, continue to build copycat coins from LTC source without tweaking anything to avoid this.

I'd also like to note that 'coin jumping' wouldn't be as much of a problem if coin devs built an organic base of supporters rather than bribing exchanges to add their coin as the first thing they do.

flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:49:20 AM

It's not healthy, I see it like refusing to slow down at school crossings arguing that the kids should learn to get out of the way faster, then having a dig at the parents.

erk you're mining in the multiport right now...

nearmiss

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 12:55:03 AM

The FTC developers addressed the problem and it is now not a problem for that coin anymore.  It's not my or my miners' fault if other coins, even with the benefit of prior knowledge of what happened to FTC's, continue to build copycat coins from LTC source without tweaking anything to avoid this.

I'd also like to note that 'coin jumping' wouldn't be as much of a problem if coin devs built an organic base of supporters rather than bribing exchanges to add their coin as the first thing they do.

As I mentioned, generally at least coins these days are built so as not to require a hard fork like in FTC's case, but it doesn't mean the affect isn't felt by every other miner mining the coin outside of coinchooses 30min window of profitability.  

Coin jumping also wouldn't be as much of a problem if your pool and its hundreds of Mh/s didn't hop around on purpose, automatically, every single day.  Yah there are individual programs out there (as someone previously linked), but even that is on a per miner level (and in one case doesn't actually appear to automate any switching based on another websites data), its just for when a person decides to mine a new coin.  

All these coins your railing on for having no real support, or bribing exchanges, or not building a userbase ect. would probably be dead by now if not for coin hoping, at which point you'd then see not all the coins are in this same boat.  Some would survive just fine.

Your a leader in a dangerous race to the bottom, where no one actually cares about anything but a profitability number on a website, that is likely out of date by the time they have said coins anyways.   Building a community, infrastructure, a strong base, people hopping coins on a daily basis aren't contributing to any of that...so...what are they contributing to then? What are you?

Profit-Switching Pool w/ Vardiff -> http://hashco.ws  Optionally keep the alts we mine or auto-trade for BTC. In addition can be paid out in any of: 365, AC, BC,  BTC, C2, CINNI, COMM, FAC, HBN, MINT, PMC, QRK, RDD, WC, XBC
flound1129 (OP)

www.multipool.us

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 01:00:40 AM

The FTC developers addressed the problem and it is now not a problem for that coin anymore.  It's not my or my miners' fault if other coins, even with the benefit of prior knowledge of what happened to FTC's, continue to build copycat coins from LTC source without tweaking anything to avoid this.

As I mentioned, generally at least coins these days are built so as not to require a hard fork like in FTC's case, but it doesn't mean the affect isn't felt by every other miner mining the coin outside of coinchooses 30min window of profitability.  

Coin jumping also wouldn't be as much of a problem if your pool and its hundreds of Mh/s didn't hop around on purpose, automatically, every single day.  Yah there are individual programs out there (as someone previously linked), but even that is on a per miner level (and in one case doesn't actually appear to automate any switching based on another websites data), its just for when a person decides to mine a new coin.  

All these coins your railing on for having no real support, or bribing exchanges, or not building a userbase ect. would probably be dead by now if not for coin hoping, at which point you'd then see not all the coins are in this same boat.  Some would survive just fine.

They'll be dead when there are no more BTC offers for them on cryptsy and not a minute sooner.  Neither I nor my pool create rubes willing to buy a coin.  You can thank the shitcoin marketing services for that.

Your starting a dangerous race to the bottom, where no one actually cares about anything but a profitability number on a website, that is likely out of date by the time they have said coins anyways.   Building a community, infrastructure, a strong base, people hopping coins on a daily basis aren't contributing to any of that...so...what are they contributing to then? What are you?

Miners are looking to pay their electric bills and make money on top of that.  If you expect them to act in a selfless way you are dreaming.  If you expect people in this community not to take advantage of a weakness in coin design to profit then you are also dreaming.

I am providing a service that people want.  If miners didn't care about profit there would be no multipool, there'd be no coinchoose, there'd be no cryptsy, and for that matter there'd be no argentum, or bitcoin or litecoin either.

Adapt or die.

Pages: « 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 ... 282 »
  Print  

Jump to: