Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 06:34:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [Group Buy#1] Avalon ASICs CHIPS! Using JohnK as escrow! FINISHED!  (Read 150340 times)
ecliptic

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:57:18 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2013, 10:19:37 PM by ecliptic

Also curious to know the plan with the chips

My understanding is there are 30 sample chips for every 10k order, so every 333.33.. chips would get 1 sample chip, if divided evenly.

[ I think we don't want to go old-testament style "the chip shall be cut in two and each person shall receive half" ]

I've purchased 572 chips from batch #1 (252 from atcsecure, 320 from dserrano5, both transactions posted publically, confirmed by original owner, and raginazn himself)

I am an EE with access to a lot of nice test equipment and plan on having my Klondike-16 boards assembled by a local professional PCB Assembly (P&P + Reflow with Pb63Sn37 solder) company I've worked with and can get boards made very fast.  I'd like to get one or two of the sample chips to test and publish for everyone's knowledge the results of these tests before the full batches ship in July:

* The Klondike-16 design as-is (P&P files, Solder Paste locations -- especially the QFN pad, Solder paste stencil thickness, etc) as populated by an outsourced assembly house
* The standard functionality of the boards (with a single chip, my understanding is the design will work with any number of chips, might need to tweak the firmware).  Hash rate, power draw.  Power draw of ASIC at various clock and hash rates.
* Thermal analysis of the board.  With various heatsink, without a heatsink, with various heatsinks with poor mechanical connection (I'll watch the temp closely so it doesn't overheat and damage the chip), with and without forced airflow.
* Overclocking.  I can modify the design, change out clock sources, modify the settings on the PLL on the chip(s).  Am very curious to see what these chips are capable of with proper cooling.  I would not be surprised to see 20, maybe 30%+ better performance.  I do not think the current 282MH/sec is a thermal limit, but I can't know for sure until i can play with it.  Similar to thermal analysis, I'll keep the chip within acceptable operating range.  I don't want to blow anything up until we have a lot more information.  Especially with only the one chip.
* Affects of the above on the power requirements (increased current on the 1.2V line, perhaps above 2A/chip.  Possibly need for additional decoupling capacitance on the chips.  Oscope measurements, Spectrum analyzer (depending on if there is harmonics or noise coupling onto the Vcc plane(s)).
* After the above, some modifications to the design to support overclocking.  -- While at this time I believe there is a good amount of headroom on these chips, the current design, both Avalon's official reference and Klondikes, provides exactly the max current spec for the chips (i.e. 32A @ 1.2V for 16 chips, each rated for 2A max.)  I expect that OC'ing will push this beyond, something i'll confirm with power/current measurements when OC'ing.  (Will report Clock freq, Hash rate, Current draw, Temperature, Heatsinking methods used, etc.)

If i happen to get more than 1 (i have some chips in other orders), I will probably have multiple PCB assemblies built up, each with 1 chip.  This will help to verify a tiny bit better the yields of the assembly, which in theory should be very high.  But there would be nothing worse than suddenly realizing that 50% of the boards are scrap.  If i get say, 4, i will have 2x boards with 1 chip and 1x board with 2 chips made.

Of course we want to check to make sure that a board with say, 16x chips works of course. But i expect that BkkCoins will be getting several dozen chips from various people, so he should be able to take care of that.

Quoting my old post ITT.  

Would i be able to get one (or dare i say two, if people don't mind?  I'd be more than willing to buy out the remainder or whatever for a few engineering prototype samples.) of the sample chips? (I've got 572 chips from batch #1, which would be ~1.71  sample chips)).  I would like to be able to test these things on the K16 assembly (specifically the OC'ability and thermal analysis and limits), and of course publish and share the results.

I may be able to get another sample chip through a different group buy, but with more than one i can dedicate a PCB assembly to a long-duration burn-in test (say +10/20% OC) and i can feel free to quite literally kill a chip or two with some absurd OC'ing/undervolting/etc -- since i'll only be putting 1 of 16 chips on the PCB assemblies for these tests.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ragingazn628 (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2013, 10:44:25 PM

My understanding is there are 30 sample chips for every 10k order, so every 333.33.. chips would get 1 sample chip, if divided evenly.

[ I think we don't want to go old-testament style "the chip shall be cut in two and each person shall receive half" ]

I've purchased 572 chips from batch #1 (252 from atcsecure, 320 from dserrano5, both transactions posted publically, confirmed by original owner, and raginazn himself)

I am an EE with access to a lot of nice test equipment and plan on having my Klondike-16 boards assembled by a local professional PCB Assembly (P&P + Reflow with Pb63Sn37 solder) company I've worked with and can get boards made very fast.  I'd like to get one or two of the sample chips to test and publish for everyone's knowledge the results of these tests before the full batches ship in July:

* The Klondike-16 design as-is (P&P files, Solder Paste locations -- especially the QFN pad, Solder paste stencil thickness, etc) as populated by an outsourced assembly house
* The standard functionality of the boards (with a single chip, my understanding is the design will work with any number of chips, might need to tweak the firmware).  Hash rate, power draw.  Power draw of ASIC at various clock and hash rates.
* Thermal analysis of the board.  With various heatsink, without a heatsink, with various heatsinks with poor mechanical connection (I'll watch the temp closely so it doesn't overheat and damage the chip), with and without forced airflow.
* Overclocking.  I can modify the design, change out clock sources, modify the settings on the PLL on the chip(s).  Am very curious to see what these chips are capable of with proper cooling.  I would not be surprised to see 20, maybe 30%+ better performance.  I do not think the current 282MH/sec is a thermal limit, but I can't know for sure until i can play with it.  Similar to thermal analysis, I'll keep the chip within acceptable operating range.  I don't want to blow anything up until we have a lot more information.  Especially with only the one chip.
* Affects of the above on the power requirements (increased current on the 1.2V line, perhaps above 2A/chip.  Possibly need for additional decoupling capacitance on the chips.  Oscope measurements, Spectrum analyzer (depending on if there is harmonics or noise coupling onto the Vcc plane(s)).
* After the above, some modifications to the design to support overclocking.  -- While at this time I believe there is a good amount of headroom on these chips, the current design, both Avalon's official reference and Klondikes, provides exactly the max current spec for the chips (i.e. 32A @ 1.2V for 16 chips, each rated for 2A max.)  I expect that OC'ing will push this beyond, something i'll confirm with power/current measurements when OC'ing.  (Will report Clock freq, Hash rate, Current draw, Temperature, Heatsinking methods used, etc.)

If i happen to get more than 1 (i have some chips in other orders), I will probably have multiple PCB assemblies built up, each with 1 chip.  This will help to verify a tiny bit better the yields of the assembly, which in theory should be very high.  But there would be nothing worse than suddenly realizing that 50% of the boards are scrap.  If i get say, 4, i will have 2x boards with 1 chip and 1x board with 2 chips made.

Of course we want to check to make sure that a board with say, 16x chips works of course. But i expect that BkkCoins will be getting several dozen chips from various people, so he should be able to take care of that.

Quoting my old post ITT.  

Would i be able to get one (or dare i say two, if people don't mind?  I'd be more than willing to buy out the remainder or whatever for a few engineering prototype samples.) of the sample chips? (I've got 572 chips from batch #1, which would be ~1.71  sample chips)).  I would like to be able to test these things on the K16 assembly (specifically the OC'ability and thermal analysis and limits), and of course publish and share the results.

I may be able to get another sample chip through a different group buy, but with more than one i can dedicate a PCB assembly to a long-duration burn-in test (say +10/20% OC) and i can feel free to quite literally kill a chip or two with some absurd OC'ing/undervolting/etc -- since i'll only be putting 1 of 16 chips on the PCB assemblies for these tests.

Definitely. I can add your 1 to the 8 and send 9.
scotjam

Activity: 269

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 11:15:04 PM

FYI - for those in Europe (and the UK especially), evilscoop's order page is now up for K16 miners at www.evilminers.net

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=203682.0

RagingAzn628 - per my submission in your google form, I would like my chips delivered to evilscoop

Thanks!

scotjam
ecliptic

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 10:39:02 PM

Quoting my old post ITT.  

Definitely. I can add your 1 to the 8 and send 9.
Awesome, thanks!
ragingazn628 (OP)

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2013, 11:05:08 PM

I have personally PM'd everyone for the new submission form. Sample chips should be here soon. I will snap a few pics and ship it as soon as it gets here. Hell I might even make the UPS guy take it Tongue
darkjed

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 03:04:27 PM

Anyone in this group willing to sell me 4 chips at cost?
Todamont

Activity: 603
Merit: 273

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:30:26 PM

Willing to buy 12 chips from someone in this group buy, PM me, offering 0.09 btc per chip.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:58:31 AM

Any rough ETA of our chips?

I need to order some stuff soon just need a rough guess.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
spanishfry

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:55:23 PM

U.S. Batch 1 members: who do you think is going to be the quickest K16's integrator at this point?  I know Ragin is talking about coming out with some information, but out of the current providers who would be best to partner with?  Our chips will be on East Coast where most integrators seem to be West Coast.
ragingazn628 (OP)

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2013, 11:22:43 PM

I am calling the shipping company again to see where the sample chips are tomorrow. I called last Monday and they said they were still at customs...
SteveB

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:24:06 PM

U.S. Batch 1 members: who do you think is going to be the quickest K16's integrator at this point?  I know Ragin is talking about coming out with some information, but out of the current providers who would be best to partner with?  Our chips will be on East Coast where most integrators seem to be West Coast.

I haven't completely decided yet, but I think I'm going with Mitten Mining.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=216952.0
http://www.mittenmining.com

They are in Detroit, Michigan.
ashleysly

Activity: 225

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:41:15 PM

I am calling the shipping company again to see where the sample chips are tomorrow. I called last Monday and they said they were still at customs...

Can't wait till they're out of customs. Anyway, any updates on being able to fit our chips on pcb's?

Earn Devcoins by Writing
Support me build a plane to advertise DVC: 1Mdu9MbAEsUm81NzEPQR7GCkUxbG39pWMy
ryepdx

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 11:59:33 PM

I'm going with Stumptown Miners, but then again I'm a bit biased. :-3
ragingazn628 (OP)

Coin Generator

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2013, 12:00:12 AM

I should know this week from my partner...
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:16:15 AM

U.S. Batch 1 members: who do you think is going to be the quickest K16's integrator at this point?  I know Ragin is talking about coming out with some information, but out of the current providers who would be best to partner with?  Our chips will be on East Coast where most integrators seem to be West Coast.

I'm going with Stumptown Miners, but then again I'm a bit biased. :-3

I'll back up ryepdx (full disclosure: my chips are going to Stumptown Miners). Shipping within the US can be overnight regardless of which state you're in, so it doesn't matter a whole lot. The real issue is shipping between countries (not to mention the taxes and customs that may involve).

I can testify that ryepdx has put in a lot of work finding good prices and getting things ready to go the minute the chips show up. I've got full faith we're going to have an impressive turnaround.

SteveB

Activity: 170

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 04:59:23 AM

I considered going with ryepdx's Stumptown Miners but his prices are a bit high. Sad
Vycid

Activity: 336

♫ the AM bear who cares ♫

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:10:41 AM

I considered going with ryepdx's Stumptown Miners but his prices are a bit high. Sad

I don't want to speak for Ryan here, but you're probably going to get a partial refund on those prices. Those prices are for worst-case scenarios: if the volume from your group buy is very low, then that price will be the manufacturing cost. But this group buy already has decent volume with Stumptown, so the true price is unlikely to end up being that high.

Keep in mind, also, that Stumptown will send for manufacture upon receipt from each individual group buy. If you see lower prices elsewhere, it may be because they're going to wait for ALL of the group buys to come in before sending out. That waiting period may easily cost you more in Bitcoins mined than you would have spent to get them done faster with Stumptown.

erschiessen

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:36:05 PM

WANTED

Chips from this group buy (I already have 51, but I need MOAR!).
I will pay BTC0.10 each
If you accept paypal, $11 each.
PM me, please.

RAGING

I need to see some better efforts with your website.
Is my tablet the issue?
I can not see what products, services and charges neo-asics will provide.
For ease of service and speed of delivery I would like to marry the chips in your group buy with your boards.
For peace of mind, I need to see something to show that neo-asics is a serious manufacturing venture and not a kluge.

I don't wish to sound abrasive, or angry, or denegrating in any manner.
I only want what is best for you and your potential customer.

Thanks,
e

Your Message Here
12KHW3i2Hamk1irY8b181N4vMXUnVYL1ah
bigbeninlondon

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:47:46 PM

RAGING

Is my tablet the issue?
For ease of service and speed of delivery I would like to marry the chips in your group buy with your boards.
For peace of mind, I need to see something to show that neo-asics is a serious manufacturing venture and not a kluge.

Thanks,
e

I am also a bit worried about the lack of progress not only on the website, but the thread on bitcointalk regarding the assembly as well.  Things are ramping up, with chips looking to be delivered next week or so, and other group buys taking orders.  With some groupbuys, they may have to pick between an assembly service that is currently taking pre-orders and updating 4x a day, or yours which hasn't seen an update in a while.

I'd rather go with your assembly so I don't have to insert an extra wait for shipping from you to an assembler, but doing so means I miss the boat with other assemblers, and some assurance would go a long way.

It also appears that you are putting a heck of a lot more effort in hosting for KnC miners; which makes me wonder why you aren't pushing your own finished products for hosting more and instead focusing on KnC's assembled units.  If you could just chime in and give us an update on the assembly side of things, I think it would put a lot of people at ease.
AMuppInTime
Donator

Activity: 290

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:39:49 AM

RAGING

Is my tablet the issue?

Thanks,
e

I am also a bit worried about the lack of progress not only on the website, but the thread on bitcointalk regarding the assembly as well.  Things are ramping up, with chips looking to be delivered next week or so, and other group buys taking orders.  With some groupbuys, they may have to pick between an assembly service that is currently taking pre-orders and updating 4x a day, or yours which hasn't seen an update in a while.

I'd rather go with your assembly so I don't have to insert an extra wait for shipping from you to an assembler, but doing so means I miss the boat with other assemblers, and some assurance would go a long way.

It also appears that you are putting a heck of a lot more effort in hosting for KnC miners; which makes me wonder why you aren't pushing your own finished products for hosting more and instead focusing on KnC's assembled units.  If you could just chime in and give us an update on the assembly side of things, I think it would put a lot of people at ease.

+1
Pages: « 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: