May 08, 2024, 02:57:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 3548 3549 3550 3551 3552 3553 3554 3555 3556 3557 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 3576 3577 3578 3579 3580 3581 [3582] 3583 3584 3585 3586 3587 3588 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 3594 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 3601 3602 3603 3604 3605 3606 3607 3608 3609 3610 3611 3612 3613 3614 3615 3616 3617 3618 3619 3620 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 ... 33331 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26373726 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:01:28 AM

Jonesing for some Bitcoin excitement. Think I may go drive the wrong way down the interstate at 120mph.

I just got some Bitcoin excitement by going to see Toronto's first BTC ATM. It's also the first Canadian-made BTC ATM, made in Ottawa.

Unfortunately it wasn't running. Apparently it was working a couple of nights ago for the grand unveiling but I had something way better to do that night involving good company and good food. Dude said it should be fully operational within 2 weeks.

It was still a little rough, accepting only $5, $10 and $20 bills and was one-way, accepting fiat for bitcoins but not vice-versa. Dude assured me both matters would be rectified.

Like the Robocoin, it will either scan a QR code or print out a newly created paper wallet, but unlike the Robocoin there is no palm scan involved. I wonder how long that will last.

Oddly, dude said the exchange rate is based on Bitstamp, not Virtex. He also said that at the moment the ATM has to be manually loaded with coins until they establish a relationship with an exchange.

Current fees are 5% but dude said they would be reduced as more ATMs are added and as overall volume increases. He stressed that fees were intentionally less that Robocoin and implied active competition.

Still, 5% barely covers the cost of getting fiat over to Bitstamp. Maybe they're large-scale miners with a surplus to be converted to fiat to cover expenses/financing.

Whatever, it was an exciting break from watching the charts obsessively.  Smiley

Edit- Here's a picture

https://i.imgur.com/O9MnxYn.jpg

Well done! I'm sitting here in northern Alberta and still no ATM's, and yet the largest Canadian exchange is just 3 hours south.

perhaps virtex sees the ATM's as competition, yes?
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:02:35 AM

nanobrain
Legendary

Activity: 1008

Dumb broad

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:02:48 AM

I haven't been wrong about a specific call I've posted on here yet.

Wow...I didn't realise you are infallible.
My apologies.
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:10:33 AM

Tread lightly. A lot of signals have been triggered on lower time charts, and LTC has diverged.

If Gox falls below 861 we are going a leg down. Might even be the so awaited final capitulation.

Ok i'm selling everything i got if we touch 861. You as well i assume?
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:13:22 AM

Tread lightly. A lot of signals have been triggered on lower time charts, and LTC has diverged.

If Gox falls below 861 we are going a leg down. Might even be the so awaited final capitulation.

Ok i'm selling everything i got if we touch 861. You as well i assume?

Just my trading stash  Smiley
ShroomsKit

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:13:37 AM

I haven't been wrong about a specific call I've posted on here yet.

Wow...I didn't realise you are infallible.
My apologies.

Yes, there are quite a bunch of those here. Amazing, isn't it.
I wonder why they are even here considering they must be filthy rich and have no need to trade anymore.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:34:33 AM

Ok. I don't suppose it will be the DIP THAT HAPPENS THIS TIME EVERY WEEK, would it?

Tomorrow there will be a weekend low and that will be the best time to buy. Next week will test new levels of resistance.
The "weekend dip" does not always happen. Not at all.

It has the last couple of weekends, the holiday weekends, which we are basically still in. I am actually a little more bullish for this weekend than the last two however.
The "weekend dip" myth has been around a long, long time.

Its not a myth when it happens. And during the holiday it has happened. People taking advantage of low trading, skeptical about the rally, no new fiat, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, it happened the last two weekends and it looks like it might be happening right now.
On a sample set of what, 3 or 4? Maybe a back test is in order. But I think I have seen this conversation before....

Saying that it happens every weekend is no worse than saying it doesn't happen more frequently on weekends given certain conditions.
What are you saying, specifically?

What did you not comprehend exactly?

You are saying that the market does not always go down on the weekend. Duh. That's an obvious truth to most of us I believe. However, the market is more likely to go down on the weekend than on any random weekday, a trend that has been evident the last 2 HOLIDAY weekends. Since this is another HOLIDAY weekend (imo) then there is a possibility that it will go down again.

Just ask Voodah - hell, he thinks its going to be a full capitulation. lol

I swear, I have extremists on both sides of me.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 02:42:07 AM

Come on people, that's not football. Here in europe we have football!

Those are fightin words! Wink
kkaspar

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

banned but not broken

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:43:12 AM

Nice story! When the Unicorns come into play? Grin

Seriously now: It's a speculative thread so anyone has an opinion and he's/she's free to say it. Aside the exchanges we know there are transactions outside of them. It's like normal people who are able to buy themselves their stocks from the stock exchange; and there's a big fund who wants to do the same job. The only common between those two is that they both trading; the rules are different though.

Believe me when the big move is about to come we will know about it. When BTC China went down we KNEW about it and several people here made a lot of coins/fiat from the intel. MOST people will do nothing about it. Either there's fear and despair, speculation that "this is not it" (even if it actually is and everybody says so) or really whatever reason makes one feel comfortable in his divinity of dreams.

The game has specific rules for EVERYBODY. Chances are you and me have the same. Chances are we have not. Don't get too emotional with other people's thoughts or TAs. I like monitoring and verifying a couple of those funky charts; but frankly I don't give a damn. They're as valid as a total lucky call is. What I have in mind is my point of entry (I did so) and my point of exit. This is what most small holders should do IMHO. Otherwise, there are many chances that it will end in tears for them.

Have a nice one; I'm off to sleep. Goodnight from Greece.

The unicorn went to Eskimo Nebula with the Leprechaun and the Alien, after they all assured me that BTC will be the world currency, because it is of the people, by the people and for the people, unlike fiat of course.
I think that big moves are different, and one big move isn't the same as another. Chinese govt changed their subtle stance on BTC quite suddenly, from "BTC is one of the answers against dollar domination" to "BTC is a threat to our people". I think that the reason was that they found out that BTC is actually run by the same people who get their best profits from dollar domination.
Now, you can't actually hide the fact that BTCChina is crippled by regulations. These regulations are public and viewable to the most novice of the information scouts. But you can hide the fact that BTC value is hardly crippled by the loss of BTCChina, by just pumping more money into BTC and keeping the price up just by financial strenght. With this method, you can make the coming dump much more profitable then it would have been at first. And the method is quite effective with BTC market also, because most don't care about the reality of real value that comes from usability of the coin, most are just following graphs and make their decisions on what everyone else seems to be doing.
I agree that BTC market is mostly luck because you can't use predictions of trends to speculate the choices of a small communicative group. BTC markets would be predictable if wealth would be spread out to larger groups of people, whose actions therefor become predictable. I exited 100% BTC to fiat in the beginning of december when I thought I saw what will come soon. From this day, I have used about 10% maximum of these funds to entertain myself with short-term trades. I have started to think that I won't return my money to BTC and I will just wait for another crypto that has a more matured market system, with some regulations to make the value more solid and wealth not being concentrated so much. I think I'll only return my money for a month or so in spring/summer if new news will surface about BTC being unstoppable again, because new unforeseen circumstances surfaced about potential übersuccess. Then it is more predictable that there will come a solid pump, just like when there were news about China govt. being pro-bitcoin. But to invest in the current market, that has no logical trends or directions, is just gambling to me and I not very fond of gambling.
CoinDox

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:43:16 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of bitcoin - where the players are bi-polar and the markets run on E
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:50:14 AM

We have never been to a price without coming back down to at least 50% of it.

That's an interesting claim. I find it impossible to believe, however: 

Suppose we hit an ATH, then came back down to 50% of it.  Then the next time we went 0.001% past that ATH, in order for the observation to be true, the price would have to hit 50.0005% of that original ATH thereafter.  Clearly we have not seen such a revisitation of that level relative to many previous spike tops.

Nonetheless, your point is taken, with suitable qualifiers and parameter changes, and if that pattern were to persist, trading it would be very lucrative.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:50:29 AM

Ok. I don't suppose it will be the DIP THAT HAPPENS THIS TIME EVERY WEEK, would it?

Tomorrow there will be a weekend low and that will be the best time to buy. Next week will test new levels of resistance.

It has the last couple of weekends, the holiday weekends, which we are basically still in. I am actually a little more bullish for this weekend than the last two however.

Its not a myth when it happens. And during the holiday it has happened. People taking advantage of low trading, skeptical about the rally, no new fiat, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, it happened the last two weekends and it looks like it might be happening right now.
On a sample set of what, 3 or 4? Maybe a back test is in order. But I think I have seen this conversation before....

Saying that it happens every weekend is no worse than saying it doesn't happen more frequently on weekends given certain conditions.

You are saying that the market does not always go down on the weekend. Duh. That's an obvious truth to most of us I believe. However, the market is more likely to go down on the weekend than on any random weekday, a trend that has been evident the last 2 HOLIDAY weekends. Since this is another HOLIDAY weekend (imo) then there is a possibility that it will go down again.

What I did not comprehend was why you went from stating the "weekend dip" as virtual fact to stating some meaningless, ambiguous statement that addressed nothing I said.

Based on your sample set of 2, I would go out on limb and say there should be no discussion of the "weekend dip." First, let's establish that such a thing exists, using a less pathetic data set.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:56:58 AM

What I did not comprehend was why you went from stating the "weekend dip" as virtual fact to stating some meaningless, ambiguous statement that addressed nothing I said.

Based on your sample set of 2, I would go out on limb and say there should be no discussion of the "weekend dip." First, let's establish that such a thing exists, using a less pathetic data set.

No your silly pseudo scientific mind assumed that since I said they weekend dip theory was not a myth, that I held that it was a constant. That was your false assumption.

Let me state more clearly for you. The market on average does not perform as well on weekends.

If you want to disprove that then go fetch the data set of the last 26 weeks and show us otherwise.

Walsoraj

Activity: 686

Ultranode

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:59:27 AM

I'm going to dump about 50k coins this weekend. So, I suggest you all sell asap. You are welcome for the tip.

Cheesy Cheesy Wink
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:59:55 AM

Suppose we hit an ATH, then came back down to 50% of it.  Then the next time we went 0.001% past that ATH, in order for the observation to be true, the price would have to hit 50.0005% of that original ATH thereafter.  Clearly we have not seen such a revisitation of that level relative to many previous spike tops.

Nonetheless, your point is taken, with suitable qualifiers and parameter changes, and if that pattern were to persist, trading it would be very lucrative.

Correct. I believe we hit 300 and never went back to 150.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:02:36 AM

JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:12:14 AM

The ping-pong game at MtGox has stopped for a couple of hours now. Volume fell to less than half.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:16:07 AM

Suppose we hit an ATH, then came back down to 50% of it.  Then the next time we went 0.001% past that ATH, in order for the observation to be true, the price would have to hit 50.0005% of that original ATH thereafter.  Clearly we have not seen such a revisitation of that level relative to many previous spike tops.

No. Your reasoning is wrong.

You have to look for lowest lows in between ATHs.

Notice that this has already been accomplished even for this last bubble, so I wouldn't automatically assume this is bearish.

ATH: 31.9099
Lowest low till next ATH: 1.994
Retrace %: -93.75 %

ATH: 266
Lowest low till next ATH: 65.42
Retrace %: -75.41 %

ATH: 1242
Lowest low till next ATH: 455
Retrace %: -63.37 %

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 03:16:19 AM

hahaha

only one thing will save you from the boom thats about to go off!

BUY SOME F'ing BITCOIN!

I have already saved myself adam! Thanks!  Wink

probably wouldnt hurt to get a few feathercoins

my friend just payed me some FTC!! for gas money to go pick up her friend...  Cheesy

I just import her private key and send her an email with a picture to a new paper wallet with her funds.

she bought FTC at ~0.10cent and spent some now at ~0.30cent  Cool

i know everyone likes ltc and the new HOT alt... i really think ftc is a good house to bet on, good price strong fundamentals, its all about the community Wink
thefunkybits
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:20:44 AM

400 BTC buy wall on stamp not even causing a single panic buy
ha!

also Voodah you suddenly turned bearish?

edit: FTC is garbage adam! lol only coins with innovation will succeed IMO
Pages: « 1 ... 3532 3533 3534 3535 3536 3537 3538 3539 3540 3541 3542 3543 3544 3545 3546 3547 3548 3549 3550 3551 3552 3553 3554 3555 3556 3557 3558 3559 3560 3561 3562 3563 3564 3565 3566 3567 3568 3569 3570 3571 3572 3573 3574 3575 3576 3577 3578 3579 3580 3581 [3582] 3583 3584 3585 3586 3587 3588 3589 3590 3591 3592 3593 3594 3595 3596 3597 3598 3599 3600 3601 3602 3603 3604 3605 3606 3607 3608 3609 3610 3611 3612 3613 3614 3615 3616 3617 3618 3619 3620 3621 3622 3623 3624 3625 3626 3627 3628 3629 3630 3631 3632 ... 33331 »
  Print  

Jump to: