April 30, 2024, 12:04:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4029 4030 4031 4032 4033 4034 4035 4036 4037 4038 4039 4040 4041 4042 4043 4044 4045 4046 4047 4048 4049 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 4056 4057 4058 4059 4060 4061 4062 4063 4064 4065 4066 4067 4068 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 [4079] 4080 4081 4082 4083 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 4090 4091 4092 4093 4094 4095 4096 4097 4098 4099 4100 4101 4102 4103 4104 4105 4106 4107 4108 4109 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 ... 33307 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26369627 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1745

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:02:47 AM

Explanation

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RicePicker

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

RicePicker

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:09:00 AM

Economics and trading are two different things, Junior.  The fact that you consider it play money may be why you have less than a quarter of your original stack. Hope you enjoy that DD2 memory. Your brain memory isn't apparently doing you much good.

That is nice to hear. I am pretty sure when I am at your age I will be sitting on an internet forum arguing with someone 20 years younger than him about how much money you have made.
windjc
Legendary

Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:10:01 AM

People like you

Lol...good to see you Windy, not lost any of your charm I see Wink

Look, it's true though. Long term bears almost to a (wo)man Wink make the mistake of thinking they know what the value of bitcoin is. I could have understood that even a year ago. But today? With what's going on now with bitcoins fundamentals? If someone can't see it now, I have no sympathy for them, especially if they were diligent enough to find this subforum.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:12:38 AM

Economics and trading are two different things, Junior.  The fact that you consider it play money may be why you have less than a quarter of your original stack. Hope you enjoy that DD2 memory. Your brain memory isn't apparently doing you much good.

That is nice to hear. I am pretty sure when I am at your age I will be sitting on an internet forum arguing with someone 20 years younger than him about how much money you have made.

Well look. Perhaps you come from wealth and playing with magical Internet money was a cool hobby. But if not and you're smart enough to realize some people on here are more experienced than you, you just might want to pay attention to something other than your fairly unseasoned assumptions about this magical money.
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 10:24:30 AM

I started buying when it was less than $10/BTC and I still am going to wait. You seem to think it was easy money. It wasn't. Everybody was screaming at us to sell when it jumped to $50, $100, $200, etc.  We held. and we held through the crashes too. Easy money spends easy. Hard money is hard to part with.
But you just said people had stopped spending because rates had gone down. And that merchants would now think twice. So are you saying $900 is the magic number for you and others to start spending? Or are you holding regardless?

I have nothing against you holding, btw.

That's close to MY magic number, but not everybody's. I try to stabilize prices by buying BTC on the way down and selling it on the way up to reduce volatility. Making money is just how I keep score on how good I am doing.  It's the opposite strategy of the momentum traders and it can be very profitable if you buy and sell the right amounts at the right times. and they haven't stopped spending. They've slowed down. We're aiming at moving targets.
jsteelbeam

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:30:58 AM

People like you

Look, it's true though. Long term bears almost to a (wo)man Wink make the mistake of thinking they know what the value of bitcoin is. I could have understood that even a year ago. But today? With what's going on now with bitcoins fundamentals? If someone can't see it now, I have no sympathy for them, especially if they were diligent enough to find this subforum.

Before you attack me, I want to be clear that i'm a long-term bull, but if you are criticizing bears for a projected price less than what it is now, you must have a valuation figured out.  Otherwise, you can be accused of the same guessing of valuation you accuse the bears of doing.  So, what did you figure a fair-market price of BTC should be now?  What about 6 months from now?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 10:34:30 AM

Kid, you can learn from people like me or you can learn the hard way. It's your choice. An ego is an extremely expensive luxury to maintain. Fiat is a terrible store of value but it's liquid, so if you need to keep some around to maximize your options, fine. Just remember most people work for their money but smart people let their money work for them.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:41:17 AM

People like you

Before you attack me, I want to be clear that i'm a long-term bull, but if you are criticizing bears for a projected price less than what it is now, you must have a valuation figured out.  Otherwise, you can be accused of the same guessing of valuation you accuse the bears of doing.  So, what did you figure a fair-market price of BTC should be now?  What about 6 months from now?

Look. As Allaire pointed out, the elephant in the room is that for bitcoin to have the liquidity to be a world trade and/or retail currency it need to be 10x50 times bigger than it is now. As more and more big players get involved in the Eco system - once banks and US exchanges get involved, the price will be forced higher because it simply has to be to function on a large scale.

6 months from now? I don't know. Somewhere between 450-2000.

But in the next 24-36 months, bitcoin is somewhere between 10k-50k. It simply has to be. The scale at which the entities getting involved now operate scale wise, bitcoin will be forced there. And 17 year olds that mined this useless Internet money will have their minds blown.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:45:53 AM

podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:53:49 AM

People like you

Look. As Allaire pointed out, the elephant in the room is that for bitcoin to have the liquidity to be a world trade and/or retail currency it need to be 10x50 times bigger than it is now. As more and more big players get involved in the Eco system - once banks and US exchanges get involved, the price will be forced higher because it simply has to be to function on a large scale.

6 months from now? I don't know. Somewhere between 450-2000.

But in the next 24-36 months, bitcoin is somewhere between 10k-50k. It simply has to be. The scale at which the entities getting involved now operate scale wise, bitcoin will be forced there. And 17 year olds that mined this useless Internet money will have their minds blown.

i agree that it has to be 50k+ in 3 years

its basic human psychology pretty much. its just hard to imagine
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 10:56:19 AM

To be fair, you're taking a bet that e.g. the US government won't ban the use of Bitcoin in the US. Look at India and China, for example. Bans can be quite effective. If the US government banned Bitcoin tomorrow - not beyond the realm of possibility given the US Treasury Secretary's recent remarks and the difficulties regulators and the IRS will have addressing Bitcoin - it simply will not have the chance to grow to the size you want it to be.

I'm long Bitcoin too, but it's a gamble nonetheless.

windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:06:10 AM

To be fair, you're taking a bet that e.g. the US government won't ban the use of Bitcoin in the US. Look at India and China, for example. Bans can be quite effective. If the US government banned Bitcoin tomorrow - not beyond the realm of possibility given the US Treasury Secretary's recent remarks and the difficulties regulators and the IRS will have addressing Bitcoin - it simply will not have the chance to grow to the size you want it to be.

It is absolutely beyond most realms of possibilities at this point.

Do you live in the US? It doesn't matter I suppose given how many people here are paranoid about our government, but the truth is the US doesn't go around banning technologies. And there is no indication they will ban bitcoin. They aren't banning gay marriage. They aren't banning bitcoin. The NY regulators lead these type of financial decisions in the US. And the hearings made it clear they will support bitcoin and bitcoin innovation. The US takes pride in being world leaders and bitcoin is no different.

It's happening. It's no longer if. It's when.
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:09:06 AM

I haven't watched the entire panel yet but did they ask anything about what happens when EC is broken?
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 11:09:24 AM

Not that much of a gamble. If the USG bans bitcoin, the FBI will have to destroy their private keys and that would be very bullish. It would still be traded here, just underground. An outright ban is very unlikely, even if regulation tightens to the point of scaring institutional investors and certain whales off. I think that is unlikely as well. What's more likely is that mining difficulty will increase substantially due to some new hardware coming on line and the price will adjust up accordingly. More merchants will come online. QE will continue or even increase, one or more national currencies will hyperinflate, new applications for the blockchain will be developed, client software and apps will be released, and we'll all wish we bought more of those overvalued bitcoins.
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:12:05 AM

Not that much of a gamble. If the USG bans bitcoin, the FBI will have to destroy their private keys and that would be very bullish. It would still be traded here, just underground. An outright ban is very unlikely, even if regulation tightens to the point of scaring institutional investors and certain whales off. I think that is unlikely as well. What's more likely is that mining difficulty will increase substantially due to some new hardware coming on line and the price will adjust up accordingly. More merchants will come online. QE will continue or even increase, one or more national currencies will hyperinflate, new applications for the blockchain will be developed, client software and apps will be released, and we'll all wish we bought more of those overvalued bitcoins.

Yes. All this and the US will not ban bitcoin.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:15:20 AM

I think this is one of the longer periods we have seen price stability in awhile. 2 weeks in bitcoin time is like 2 months in real time (as far as how quickly things usually move)
electronistul

Activity: 160

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:21:58 AM

I think this is one of the longer periods we have seen price stability in awhile. 2 weeks in bitcoin time is like 2 months in real time (as far as how quickly things usually move)
Question is: what happens next ? Any of you got a crystal ball ?
jsteelbeam

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:28:50 AM

Do you live in the US? It doesn't matter I suppose given how many people here are paranoid about our government, but the truth is the US doesn't go around banning technologies. And there is no indication they will ban bitcoin. They aren't banning gay marriage. They aren't banning bitcoin. The NY regulators lead these type of financial decisions in the US. And the hearings made it clear they will support bitcoin and bitcoin innovation. The US takes pride in being world leaders and bitcoin is no different.

I actually agree 1000% with your outlook.  The only thing that worries me is if it is actually Bitcoin itself with the marketshare projected 24-36 months out.  I've seen many posts of people who say that the the statements from the Congressional and NY State hearings are bullish because the chairmen have made comments that they see the value in Bitcoin.  But my fear is that they see the value in the blockchain technology, not Bitcoin literally.  

Just think about it: the US government (and all governments, for that matter) allow the Bitcoin community to spend it's blood, sweat and tears working out the bugs of a distributed ledger to record financial transactions and work to make the public somewhat comfortable with transferring money through such a system.  Once it becomes fairly polished, the government launches their own blockchain and USDollarCoin.  They empower existing banks to function as exchanges from fiat to USDollarCoin and ban any entity such as businesses from transacting in Bitcoin.  They can now issue their currency electronically without incurring the actual costs of printing paper money and supporting the infrastructure in distributing the physical cash.

It really is a regulator's wet dream, because right now, the government has no real visibility on what happens during cash or credit card sales on the transactional level, but once they have their own blockchain, they can trace the movement of every little penny within the system.

Let me head off the "But that defeats the decentralized benefit of Bitcoin" argument by offering this: 95% of the population can give two sh!ts about decentralization.  They will just do what the government tells them to do.

Am I the only one who sees this scenario as a real threat?  If so, I need to get rid of my tinfoil hat. Wink
windjc
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:30:41 AM

I actually agree 1000% with your outlook.  The only thing that worries me is if it is actually Bitcoin itself with the marketshare projected 24-36 months out.  I've seen many posts of people who say that the the statements from the Congressional and NY State hearings are bullish because the chairmen have made comments that they see the value in Bitcoin.  But my fear is that they see the value in the blockchain technology, not Bitcoin literally.  

Just think about it: the US government (and all governments, for that matter) allow the Bitcoin community to spend it's blood, sweat and tears working out the bugs of a distributed ledger to record financial transactions and work to make the public somewhat comfortable with transferring money through such a system.  Once it becomes fairly polished, the government launches their own blockchain and USDollarCoin.  They empower existing banks to function as exchanges from fiat to USDollarCoin and ban any entity such as businesses from transacting in Bitcoin.  They can now issue their currency electronically without incurring the actual costs of printing paper money and supporting the infrastructure in distributing the physical cash.

It really is a regulator's wet dream, because right now, the government has no real visibility on what happens during cash or credit card sales on the transactional level, but once they have their own blockchain, they can trace the movement of every little penny within the system.

Let me head off the "But that defeats the decentralized benefit of Bitcoin" argument by offering this: 95% of the population can give two sh!ts about decentralization.  They will just do what the government tells them to do.

Am I the only one who sees this scenario as a real threat?  If so, I need to get rid of my tinfoil hat. Wink

Get rid of your tin cool hat. Smiley
delphic

Activity: 378

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:34:39 AM

Get rid of your tin cool hat. Smiley
...and Bitcoin holders in the rest of the world would carry on using Bitcoins, for the same reasons they got Bitcoins in the first place..
Pages: « 1 ... 4029 4030 4031 4032 4033 4034 4035 4036 4037 4038 4039 4040 4041 4042 4043 4044 4045 4046 4047 4048 4049 4050 4051 4052 4053 4054 4055 4056 4057 4058 4059 4060 4061 4062 4063 4064 4065 4066 4067 4068 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 [4079] 4080 4081 4082 4083 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 4090 4091 4092 4093 4094 4095 4096 4097 4098 4099 4100 4101 4102 4103 4104 4105 4106 4107 4108 4109 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 ... 33307 »
  Print  

Jump to: