June 27, 2024, 07:58:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 4054 4055 4056 4057 4058 4059 4060 4061 4062 4063 4064 4065 4066 4067 4068 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 4079 4080 4081 4082 4083 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 4090 4091 4092 4093 4094 4095 4096 4097 4098 4099 4100 4101 4102 4103 [4104] 4105 4106 4107 4108 4109 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 4130 4131 4132 4133 4134 4135 4136 4137 4138 4139 4140 4141 4142 4143 4144 4145 4146 4147 4148 4149 4150 4151 4152 4153 4154 ... 33486 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26407487 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
bambou

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:32:25 PM

I really dont like these Winklevossies. It seems they only try to make more money outta other people hard work and with daddy's money. They dont see the interest in bitcoin but only that grabbing 1% of it all would make them richer. They just pretend to be so smart but they just seems to get f**cking second if not last all the time.

ergo Zuckerberg ditched them
ergo Satoshi (and even FBI) got way more BTCs than they can ever dream of
ergo them ETF is far from opening.
ergo i wont consider a single news related to them as they mean nothing. Smiley
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:34:14 PM

Here is my prediction for the coming month:

The plot shows the Bitstamp prices from Nov/2013 to Jan/2014 (purple) and estimated lower and upper bounds for Feb/2014 (green).  I claim that, in any 1-hour interval in the coming month, the Bitstamp price will be within the two green lines above, with 95% probability.

For example, I claim that on Feb/22 the price will be between 300 USD and 2200 USD with 95% probability.

(Note that this is not the same thing as saying that the entire price plot will stay in that region for the whole month with 95% probability.)

This prediction is based on the simple "log Brownian" model that I described a while ago.  Namely, it assumes that the price change from one 1-hour interval to the next, in log scale, is a normal random variable that is independent of the previous history. 

More precisely let P(i) be the weighted mean transaction price in the 1-hourinterval number i.  Let Z(i) be log_10(P(i)). The model assumes that

Z(i+1) = Z(i) + C*RAND(i)

where the factors RAND(i) are independent random variabls with zero mean, unit deviation, and Gaussian distribution.  Therefore, for any n > 0,

Z(i+n) = Z(i) + C*sqrt(n)*RAND(i,n)

where factors RAND(i,n) are again random (but not independent) variables with zero mean, unit deviation, and Gaussian distribution.

Analysis of the Bitstamp prices from Sep/2013 to Jan/2014 yields 0.00964 as the best fit for the parameter C.

Since 95% of the probability of the Gaussian distribution is within 2 deviations of the mean, the model implies that, n steps in the future,
the value Z(i+n) will be within the values

Zmin(i,n) = Z(i) - 2*C*sqrt(n) and
  Zmax(i,n) = Z(i) + 2*C*sqrt(n)

with 95% probability, where Z(i) is the current (last known) price.  The green lines are these two bounds, converted back to linear scale (Pmin(i,n) = 10**Zmin(i,n), etc.)

More specifically, according to the model, at any specific 1-hour interval i+n in the future, the log price Z(i+n) will be

below Zmin(i,n) with 2.5% probability;
   between Zmin(i,n) and the current price Z(i) with 47.5% probability;
   between the current price Z(i) and Zmax(i,n) with 47.5% probability;
   above Zmax(i,n) with 2.5% probability.

Note that, by this model, the future prices P(i+n) may be on either side of the current price (red line) with equal probability, even though the inverse log mapping yields a much wider range above than below.

Of course this model is quite rudimentary and basically useless for traders.  There may be more sophisticated models, but I doubt that they can yield better predictions. 

(The Brownian model is visibly inadequate for small n, since the log price increments from one interval to the next do not have a Gaussian distribution.  As a consequence, the 2*sigma interval Zmin(i,n) to Zmax(i,n) contains somewhat less than 95% of the probability.  However, by the Law of Large Numbers the distribution becomes almost Gaussian after a few hours. )

(before people ask: no, a model with a linear "historical trend" term Z(i+n) = Z(i) + T*n + C*sqrt(n)*RAND(i,n) does not seem appropriate, and its predictions for the next month would not be significantly different.)
bambou

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:39:52 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2014, 08:50:30 PM by bambou

@JorgeStolfi pretty impressive piece of work there. i think you made quite a point altough a forecast between $300 - 2200 by feb/22 is quite reasonable and easy to apprehend.. but +1 for the demonstration Smiley
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 08:49:31 PM

had some fun with charts.

Tongue

I want expancive coins.

unlikely to happen...

if the main triangle breaks up "adam's cheapness indicator" will actually drop toward cheap coins as the  price moves up!
and if the triangle breaks down,  "adam's cheapness indicator" will drop with price
no matter what way you look at it, cheap coins ahead!   Cool
FierceRadish

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:57:16 PM

For example, I claim that on Feb/22 the price will be between 300 USD and 2200 USD with 95% probability.

That's a well-thought out argument, but this is a pretty wide price bracket. Plus, people here seem to demand either confirmed bull or confirmed bear. This kind of scope will fry minds Wink
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 08:58:36 PM

I really dont like these Winklevossies. It seems they only try to make more money outta other people hard work and with daddy's money. They dont see the interest in bitcoin but only that grabbing 1% of it all would make them richer. They just pretend to be so smart but they just seems to get f**cking second if not last all the time.

Your comment was very helpful to me. I've been constipated for days but was able to use your comment to dislodge the obstruction.  Here, I washed off your comment so you can have it back. Thank you.
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:02:38 PM

It was my understanding that Black–Scholes was the commonly used model ?
runam0k
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Touchdown

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:03:19 PM

had some fun with charts.

Tongue

I want expancive coins.
Are they like colored coins? Or something new?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:03:46 PM

The plot shows the Bitstamp prices from Nov/2013 to Jan/2014 (purple) and estimated lower and upper bounds for Feb/2014 (green).  I claim that, in any 1-hour interval in the coming month, the Bitstamp price will be within the two green lines above, with 95% probability.

(Note that this is not the same thing as saying that the entire price plot will stay in that region for the whole month with 95% probability.)

This prediction is based on the simple "log Brownian" model that I described a while ago.  Namely, it assumes that the price change from one 1-hour interval to the next, in log scale, is a normal random variable that is independent of the previous history.  

More precisely let P(i) be the weighted mean transaction price in the 1-hourinterval number i.  Let Z(i) be log_10(P(i)). The model assumes that

where the factors RAND(i) are independent random variabls with zero mean, unit deviation, and Gaussian distribution.  Therefore, for any n > 0,

where factors RAND(i,n) are again random (but not independent) variables with zero mean, unit deviation, and Gaussian distribution.

Analysis of the Bitstamp prices from Sep/2013 to Jan/2014 yields 0.00964 as the best fit for the parameter C.

Since 95% of the probability of the Gaussian distribution is within 2 deviations of the mean, the model implies that, n steps in the future,

with 95% probability, where Z(i) is the current (last known) price.  The green lines are these two bounds, converted back to linear scale (Pmin(i,n) = 10**Zmin(i,n), etc.)

More specifically, according to the model, at any specific 1-hour interval i+n in the future, the log price Z(i+n) will be

Note that, by this model, the future prices P(i+n) may be on either side of the current price (red line) with equal probability, even though the inverse log mapping yields a much wider range above than below.

Of course this model is quite rudimentary and basically useless for traders.  There may be more sophisticated models, but I doubt that they can yield better predictions.  

(The Brownian model is visibly inadequate for small n, since the log price increments from one interval to the next do not have a Gaussian distribution.  As a consequence, the 2*sigma interval Zmin(i,n) to Zmax(i,n) contains somewhat less than 95% of the probability.  However, by the Law of Large Numbers the distribution becomes almost Gaussian after a few hours. )

(before people ask: no, a model with a linear "historical trend" term Z(i+n) = Z(i) + T*n + C*sqrt(n)*RAND(i,n) does not seem appropriate, and its predictions for the next month would not be significantly different.)

As the work of Mandelbrot pretty definitively shows[1], you should nearly always include a fat tail on both sides of your distribution.  You can still skew it if you like, but odds are your model will be vastly wrong at some point if you don't have a fat tail on the downside risk.  Tell me, at which point does risk reach 0?

Your methodology is pretty much what has been taught the last 50 years in finance, but since 2008, Mandelbrot's critique and improved models have gotten some attention.  As you can clearly see by being involved with Bitcoin, people are cautions when their assets are involved.  Sometimes this causes clinging to outdated dogma, but you have to fit the model to the data, not the data to the model.

1. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=mandelbrot+markets
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:04:59 PM

You sound jealous.
KFR

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:13:15 PM

The plot shows the Bitstamp prices from Nov/2013 to Jan/2014 (purple) and estimated lower and upper bounds for Feb/2014 (green).  I claim that, in any 1-hour interval in the coming month, the Bitstamp price will be within the two green lines above, with 95% probability.

This prediction is based on the simple "log Brownian" model that I described a while ago.  Namely, it assumes that the price change from one 1-hour interval to the next, in log scale, is a normal random variable that is independent of the previous history. 

More precisely let P(i) be the weighted mean transaction price in the 1-hourinterval number i.  Let Z(i) be log_10(P(i)). The model assumes that

where the factors RAND(i) are independent random variabls with zero mean, unit deviation, and Gaussian distribution.  Therefore, for any n > 0,

with 95% probability, where Z(i) is the current (last known) price.  The green lines are these two bounds, converted back to linear scale (Pmin(i,n) = 10**Zmin(i,n), etc.)

Of course this model is quite rudimentary and basically useless for traders.  There may be more sophisticated models, but I doubt that they can yield better predictions. 

(The Brownian model is visibly inadequate for small n, since the log price increments from one interval to the next do not have a Gaussian distribution.  As a consequence, the 2*sigma interval Zmin(i,n) to Zmax(i,n) contains somewhat less than 95% of the probability.  However, by the Law of Large Numbers the distribution becomes almost Gaussian after a few hours. )

Nice work.  Thanks for sharing your method. Smiley
bambou

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:16:19 PM

You sound jealous.

you got me Cheesy
ampere9765

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:21:04 PM

You sound jealous.
i sure am. but there is some cause for resentment when, all other things equal, they wouldnt have 1% of BTC if they werent simply born with silver spoons in hand. clearly many smaller holders got in long before them, but have far fewer coins not by virtue of foresight or skill, but by virtue of birth. in that sense, i have far less respect for the twins than i do for many of the smaller fish around since 2010.
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:36:23 PM

I claim that on Feb 22 the price will be:

between $200 and $2300 with 96% probability.
between $100 and $2400 with 97% probabliity.
between $50 and $2500 with 98% probability.
between $0 and $2600 with 99% proability.
more than Dogecoin with 100% probability.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:36:36 PM

You sound jealous.
i sure am. but there is some cause for resentment when, all other things equal, they wouldnt have 1% of BTC if they werent simply born with silver spoons in hand. clearly many smaller holders got in long before them, but have far fewer coins not by virtue of foresight or skill, but by virtue of birth. in that sense, i have far less respect for the twins than i do for many of the smaller fish around since 2010.

There are many with far more wealth than the Winklevii with zero bitcoin holdings. Foresight, skill and/or luck certainly have something to do with their choice of holdings. If it was purely about money, then the 1% would have a much larger share of BTC in the market.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:37:45 PM

Life ain't fair. No point getting bent out of shape about it.
ampere9765

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:44:04 PM

Life ain't fair. No point getting bent out of shape about it.
who's getting bent out of shape? someone mentioned jealousy and i said, yeah i am jealous. Smiley

There are many with far more wealth than the Winklevii with zero bitcoin holdings. Foresight, skill and/or luck certainly have something to do with their choice of holdings. If it was purely about money, then the 1% would have a much larger share of BTC in the market.
i said all other things equal. meaning that those with the same foresight to invest in bitcoin have much smaller holdings by virtue only of the twins being born into wealth.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:24:01 PM

who's getting bent out of shape? someone mentioned jealousy and i said, yeah i am jealous. Smiley

Jealousy is unhealthy. Switch to envy. Much better.
MANofthePEOPLE

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 10:40:55 PM

Sure is slow lately =/
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 10:48:19 PM

You sound jealous.

Life ain't fair. Get over it. It's pretty unflattering for you to be envious when you yourself are likely to be very lucky in the birth lottery compared to most of Earth's population. Count your blessings. It'll make you a happier person.
Pages: « 1 ... 4054 4055 4056 4057 4058 4059 4060 4061 4062 4063 4064 4065 4066 4067 4068 4069 4070 4071 4072 4073 4074 4075 4076 4077 4078 4079 4080 4081 4082 4083 4084 4085 4086 4087 4088 4089 4090 4091 4092 4093 4094 4095 4096 4097 4098 4099 4100 4101 4102 4103 [4104] 4105 4106 4107 4108 4109 4110 4111 4112 4113 4114 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 4124 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 4130 4131 4132 4133 4134 4135 4136 4137 4138 4139 4140 4141 4142 4143 4144 4145 4146 4147 4148 4149 4150 4151 4152 4153 4154 ... 33486 »
  Print  

Jump to: