May 11, 2024, 06:19:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 11895 11896 11897 11898 11899 11900 11901 11902 11903 11904 11905 11906 11907 11908 11909 11910 11911 11912 11913 11914 11915 11916 11917 11918 11919 11920 11921 11922 11923 11924 11925 11926 11927 11928 11929 11930 11931 11932 11933 11934 11935 11936 11937 11938 11939 11940 11941 11942 11943 11944 [11945] 11946 11947 11948 11949 11950 11951 11952 11953 11954 11955 11956 11957 11958 11959 11960 11961 11962 11963 11964 11965 11966 11967 11968 11969 11970 11971 11972 11973 11974 11975 11976 11977 11978 11979 11980 11981 11982 11983 11984 11985 11986 11987 11988 11989 11990 11991 11992 11993 11994 11995 ... 33342 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26381887 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:50:02 PM

again this story about short squeeze?

Roll Eyes

better look at those fake bids so nicely stacked in close 240 + range. 7 k to 240 and then like 4 k till 220. but keep buying in 250+ range pigs.

we need you.

Enough yapping. But I suppose that is all you can do apart from help the price higher when you cover.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:51:56 PM

You speak in what if's with little knowledge of the subject or that mater what "miners" want. No alts for starters...  A larger block size would solve transaction limits as was the original intent.

Did you read the posts?

Adam wrote that it was so difficult to get consensus on even trivial changes like increasing block size, imagine on postponing the halving.  I just pointed out that the miners will have no monetary gain with larger blocks, but would have a huge one with the postponement.

Last time I checked, the top 4-6 miners had more than 51% and were all in China.  Do we know what they may want?  

Since that "attack" would not be risk free, the top miners will not want to risk it unless they have much more than 51%.  Also, if the price more than doubles before that, say 800 $/BTC by early 2016, they would probably regain a comfortable profit margin and may be happy with it.

But with the price at 800 $/BTC, on the other hand, postponing the halving would give them ~500 M$ of extra revenue per year...

Yes but ONLY IF Bitstamp, Bitfinex, Bitpay, BTC-E, Second Market BIT, Winklevoss fund, etc accept these "Bitcoin"
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:52:55 PM

again this story about short squeeze?

Roll Eyes

better look at those fake bids so nicely stacked in close 240 + range. 7 k to 240 and then like 4 k till 220. but keep buying in 250+ range pigs.

we need you.

Enough yapping. But I suppose that is all you can do apart from help the price higher when you cover.

I am tempted to move more funds to bitfinex and short sell more, actually.

but I dont trust them that much.

bistamp feels safe.

that support at 250 is laughable. I mean, bears are just waiting for more walls to be placed in that area.

and you are a fucking bull sockpuppet inca. I piss on you.
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:53:38 PM

Sorry but thats bullsh*t, if the block halving changed the price would crumble.
Already replied to that.  It is a subjective prediction of how "the bitcoiners" would behave. My view of "the bitcoiners" and their motivations is obviously very different from yours.

You suggest that the miners could agree on it and everyone who pays their bills (the buyers) would just be like ah okay. Not gonna happen.

Today, the new investors (those who buy or earn coins and hold them for a while) are quite happily paying 900'000 $/day to the miners, plus who-knows-how-much to the earlier investors who are selling; money that will never come back to the system.  The new investors cannot be entirely conscious of that.  So, if the halving were to be postponed, they would probably not take notice, and continue pouring in the same daily amounts, either way.

By the way, don't expect the price to immediately double when the next halving happens.  The miners will put 1800 fewer coins per day on the markets, but many earlier investors will start selling their coins once the price rises a little.  In other words, there is lots of hidden liquidity in the old hoards, that will readily absorb the 450'000 k$/day that the miners will stop receiving.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 05:58:39 PM

Coin
Explanation
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:01:18 PM

You speak in what if's with little knowledge of the subject or that mater what "miners" want. No alts for starters...  A larger block size would solve transaction limits as was the original intent.

Did you read the posts?

Adam wrote that it was so difficult to get consensus on even trivial changes like increasing block size, imagine on postponing the halving.  I just pointed out that the miners will have no monetary gain with larger blocks, but would have a huge one with the postponement.

Last time I checked, the top 4-6 miners had more than 51% and were all in China.  Do we know what they may want?  

Since that "attack" would not be risk free, the top miners will not want to risk it unless they have much more than 51%.  Also, if the price more than doubles before that, say 800 $/BTC by early 2016, they would probably regain a comfortable profit margin and may be happy with it.

But with the price at 800 $/BTC, on the other hand, postponing the halving would give them ~500 M$ of extra revenue per year...

Sorry but thats bullsh*t, if the block halving changed the price would crumble. So they would have no monetary gain at all. It makes no economical sense, you suggest that the miners could agree on it and everyone who pays their bills (the buyers) would just be like ah okay. Not gonna happen.

Edit: Lets also not forget that 51% is where it becomes possible, its still a hard thing to do and to pull off succesfully would likely require much more than that.

I might have fallen and hit my head, but I thought the 51% attack was related to transactions. To change the halving you would have to change the bitcoin client. Those "bad miners" would be mining an alt.
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:02:19 PM

Did you read the posts?

Yes but ONLY IF Bitstamp, Bitfinex, Bitpay, BTC-E, Second Market BIT, Winklevoss fund, etc accept these "Bitcoin"

fuck them. no miners no network.
WeltMaster

Activity: 437
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:06:33 PM

Do not panic bears!!

This is just the usual blip upward before this market resumes its march to oblivion.

Keep adding more shorts!!!

Remember:

"The price always goes back down"
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:10:22 PM

Do not panic bears!!

This is just the usual blip upward before this market resumes its march to oblivion.

Keep adding more shorts!!!

Remember:

"The price always goes back down"

I can't wait till we reach minus territory, that's where the real shorting starts.

To Hades!!!
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:10:23 PM

in any case, if one small group starts to mine this 25mill BTC bitcoin fork, it doesn't it mean everyone else can't continue to mine the original 21mill BTC bitcoin. And there would be HUGE incentive for poeple like me (highly invested but never got a miner) to get a miner and add hashrate to the original 21mill BTC bitcoin.

it would be like this massive cryptonic-hashrate-cyber war
fucking wonderful!

I discussed that "attack" at length in another thread.  It will be a small group of half a dozen miners, but it will have more than half of the global hashpower.  WIth that power they can still profitably mine the 25 M chain and jam the original one so that it becomes unusable and un-mineable. 

So, for the individual miner, he either joins the cartel on the 25 M chain, and keeps earning as much BTC as before, or keeps mining the old chain, and has all his blocks orphaned by the cartel jamming.  For the typical miner, switching should be a no-brainer.

Moreover, each client who has N coins on the original chain will get another N coins on the 25 M chain, accessible through teh same keys, whether he wants them or not. So each client can upgrade his software (at any time, before or after the fork) and use his coins, or refuse to upgrade and have his coins blocked until if and when the "attack" fails.  On the other hand, if he upgrades and the attack then fails, his coins will still be there on the 21 M chain, unspent.  Again, for the typical user, the decision to upgrade should be a no-brainer.
D05GTO

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:18:33 PM

It will be a small group of half a dozen miners, but it will have more than half of the global hashpower.

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.   Even with Memristor technology it would take more than a small group to jam out the global hashpower.  There's billions in infrastructure and it would require trillions to topple.  Not worth the effort.  If you had trillions why bother with taking over the bitcoin hash, just buy most of it up and it's yours.
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:20:19 PM

in any case, if one small group starts to mine this 25mill BTC bitcoin fork, it doesn't it mean everyone else can't continue to mine the original 21mill BTC bitcoin. And there would be HUGE incentive for poeple like me (highly invested but never got a miner) to get a miner and add hashrate to the original 21mill BTC bitcoin.

fucking wonderful!

I discussed that "attack" at length in another thread.  It will be a small group of half a dozen miners, but it will have more than half of the global hashpower.  WIth that power they can still profitably mine the 25 M chain and jam the original one so that it becomes unusable and un-mineable.  

In that case, bitcoin is DEAD. Both the 21M and 25M forks are dead. No one will trust the miners in the 25M fork because that can easily extend it to a 250M fork in the same way. Finally, miners will just mine for nothing valuable.

Congratulations, you have just rediscovered 51% attack.

On the other hand, if he upgrades and the attack then fails, his coins will still be there on the 21 M chain, unspent.  Again, for the typical user, the decision to upgrade should be a no-brainer.

Yes, but with the reason above, no one will exchange anything valuable with those bitcoin, no matter the 21M or 25M fork
Sitarow
Legendary

Merit: 1047

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:21:09 PM

fucking wonderful!

I discussed that "attack" at length in another thread.  It will be a small group of half a dozen miners, but it will have more than half of the global hashpower.  WIth that power they can still profitably mine the 25 M chain and jam the original one so that it becomes unusable and un-mineable. 

So, for the individual miner, he either joins the cartel on the 25 M chain, and keeps earning as much BTC as before, or keeps mining the old chain, and has all his blocks orphaned by the cartel jamming.  For the typical miner, switching should be a no-brainer.

Moreover, each client who has N coins on the original chain will get another N coins on the 25 M chain, accessible through teh same keys, whether he wants them or not. So each client can upgrade his software (at any time, before or after the fork) and use his coins, or refuse to upgrade and have his coins blocked until if and when the "attack" fails.  On the other hand, if he upgrades and the attack then fails, his coins will still be there on the 21 M chain, unspent.  Again, for the typical user, the decision to upgrade should be a no-brainer.

If the need presents itself the more probable outcome would be to change the hashing algorithm use cpu's and kill all asic behemoths and adjust the difficulty to the new hardware scale than what you suggest.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 06:23:48 PM

fucking wonderful!

first no one comes close to having 50% of the network hashrate https://blockchain.info/pools

second they would need 101% of the network hash rate 50% dedicated to securing their BS version of bitcoin, and the other 50% dedicated attacking the one and only true Bitcoin.

third the great-massive-online-cryptonic-hashrate-cyber-war would make Bitcoins hashrate double overnight.

forth, who's to say we wouldn't come up with a defence against such an attack ( lets all agree to ignore BS blocks coming from the attacker )

lastly, everyone would sell there BS version of bitcoin BTC never to reinvest at any price, because we would CRUSH THEM.
Fatman3001
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:25:29 PM

It will be a small group of half a dozen miners, but it will have more than half of the global hashpower.

That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.   Even with Memristor technology it would take more than a small group to jam out the global hashpower.  There's billions in infrastructure and it would require trillions to topple.  Not worth the effort.  If you had trillions why bother with taking over the bitcoin hash, just buy most of it up and it's yours.
True, just rape the market and buy most of the coins. Much easier.

Hey!... Tarmi! Are you trying to take over Bitcoin?
jl2012
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:26:09 PM

fucking wonderful!

first no one comes close to having 50% of the network hashrate https://blockchain.info/pools

second they would need 101% of the network hash rate 50% dedicated to securing their BS version of bitcoin, and the other 50% dedicated attacking the one and only true Bitcoin.

third the great-massive-online-cryptonic-hashrate-cyber-war would make Bitcoins hashrate double overnight.

forth, who's to say we wouldn't come up with a defence against such an attack ( lets all agree to ignore BS blocks coming from the attacker )

lastly, everyone would sell there BS version of bitcoin BTC never to reinvest at any price, because we would CRUSH THEM.

With merge mining, only 51% is enough.
JorgeStolfi

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:26:15 PM

The funds, and anyone who only holds bitcoins without moving them, can just wait for the outcome and then upgrade or not, as appropriate.

Like other active bitcoin users, the exchanges and payment processors will have to choose between upgrading their software and working only with the 25 M chain, or sticking to the 21 M chain and having all their coins frozen, until if and when the "attack" fails.   While trading inside each exchange could continue with no problems, all bitcoin withdrawals and deposits would be blocked.  For those companies too, switching (and urging clients to switch) should be a no-brainer.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:28:48 PM

The funds, and anyone who only holds bitcoins without moving them, can just wait for the outcome and then upgrade or not, as appropriate.

Like other active bitcoin users, the exchanges and payment processors will have to choose between upgrading their software and working only with the 25 M chain, or sticking to the 21 M chain and having all their coins frozen, until if and when the "attack" fails.   While trading inside each exchange could continue with no problems, all bitcoin withdrawals and deposits would be blocked.  For those companies too, switching (and urging clients to switch) should be a no-brainer.

If what you say is true then why has it not happened yet?

Sitarow
Legendary

Merit: 1047

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 06:30:24 PM

Like other active bitcoin users, the exchanges and payment processors will have to choose between upgrading their software and working only with the 25 M chain, or sticking to the 21 M chain and having all their coins frozen, until if and when the "attack" fails.   While trading inside each exchange could continue with no problems, all bitcoin withdrawals and deposits would be blocked.  For those companies too, switching (and urging clients to switch) should be a no-brainer.

If what you say is true then why has it not happened yet?

Because if the need presents itself the more probable outcome would be to change the hashing algorithm use cpu's and kill all asic behemoths and adjust the difficulty to the new hardware scale than what Jorge suggest.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 06:34:19 PM

Like other active bitcoin users, the exchanges and payment processors will have to choose between upgrading their software and working only with the 25 M chain, or sticking to the 21 M chain and having all their coins frozen, until if and when the "attack" fails.   While trading inside each exchange could continue with no problems, all bitcoin withdrawals and deposits would be blocked.  For those companies too, switching (and urging clients to switch) should be a no-brainer.

it would not be a no-brainer, it would be a spectacular show

there would be a hotfix implemented within hours to ignore the attackers blocks until we can find his mining-bunker and blow it up to high heavens  
Pages: « 1 ... 11895 11896 11897 11898 11899 11900 11901 11902 11903 11904 11905 11906 11907 11908 11909 11910 11911 11912 11913 11914 11915 11916 11917 11918 11919 11920 11921 11922 11923 11924 11925 11926 11927 11928 11929 11930 11931 11932 11933 11934 11935 11936 11937 11938 11939 11940 11941 11942 11943 11944 [11945] 11946 11947 11948 11949 11950 11951 11952 11953 11954 11955 11956 11957 11958 11959 11960 11961 11962 11963 11964 11965 11966 11967 11968 11969 11970 11971 11972 11973 11974 11975 11976 11977 11978 11979 11980 11981 11982 11983 11984 11985 11986 11987 11988 11989 11990 11991 11992 11993 11994 11995 ... 33342 »
  Print  

Jump to: