July 01, 2024, 11:15:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 14596 14597 14598 14599 14600 14601 14602 14603 14604 14605 14606 14607 14608 14609 [14610] 14611 14612 14613 14614 14615 14616 14617 14618 14619 14620 14621 14622 14623 14624 14625 14626 14627 14628 14629 14630 14631 14632 14633 14634 14635 14636 14637 14638 14639 14640 14641 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 ... 33499 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26409838 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 06:58:25 AM

every day without an inch of movement from Blockstream, increases the possibility. The fact that they start bringing up PoW changes when backed into a corner gives even more weight to the idea that they would rather go to war than compromise to 2MB.

Blockstream is moving rapidly on segwit, sidechains, and Lightning.  They are meticulously preparing Bitcoin to be carefully scaled ASAP.

Classic, OTOH, is spreading '2MB? Not much testing needed' nonsense.

And yes, we will "go to war" to defend Bitcoin's diverse/diffuse/defensible/resilient characteristics, from which its key interesting property of antifragility emerges.

Whine about it all you want.  Nothing you do can move our Honey Badger's needle one iota.  You have no power here.

I still have doubts regarding sidechains security:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3vg06a/official_release_rootstock_white_paper/cxnfe6n

As for the segwit thing, I am still quite opposed to the excision of cryptographic signatures from the holy ledger (also implying the introduction of 3rd trusted parties)..

WHat you think?

If he was able to think, he would not be the good old iCE.

Classic is coming, like it or not. The alternative is to go down with a ship full of corecoins or popescucoins.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1779

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:01:32 AM

Coin

Explanation
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:21:38 AM

every day without an inch of movement from Blockstream, increases the possibility. The fact that they start bringing up PoW changes when backed into a corner gives even more weight to the idea that they would rather go to war than compromise to 2MB.

Blockstream is moving rapidly on segwit, sidechains, and Lightning.  They are meticulously preparing Bitcoin to be carefully scaled ASAP.

And yes, we will "go to war" to defend Bitcoin's diverse/diffuse/defensible/resilient characteristics, from which its key interesting property of antifragility emerges.

Whine about it all you want.  Nothing you do can move our Honey Badger's needle one iota.  You have no power here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3vg06a/official_release_rootstock_white_paper/cxnfe6n

As for the segwit thing, I am still quite opposed to the excision of cryptographic signatures from the holy ledger (also implying the introduction of 3rd trusted parties)..

WHat you think?

Classic is coming, like it or not. The alternative is to go down with a ship full of corecoins or popescucoins.

As you clearly you lost any ability to think, it would still be appreciated that you mind your manners and do not answer a question that is not being asked to you.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 07:31:06 AM

Blockstream is moving rapidly on segwit, sidechains, and Lightning.  They are meticulously preparing Bitcoin to be carefully scaled ASAP.

Whine about it all you want.  Nothing you do can move our Honey Badger's needle one iota.  You have no power here.

WHat you think?

Sigs aren't being excised from the Holy Ledger, merely segregated from tx.

That makes the Holy Leger more secure by patching up some outstanding maintenance issues.  The tps bump is just a nice side effect.

I trust the BIP process will work out any bugs with segwit and sidechains.  So far, so good.   Cool
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:35:58 AM

It does no such thing. Every node that receives a block will receive the segwit data as well, with the exception (eventually) of new pruned nodes that are syncing below a checkpoint and would ignore the signatures anyway. The segwit data is referenced by a hash committed to the block and can't be changed, making it part of the ledger for all practical purposes.

hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:40:37 AM

WHat you think?

That makes the Holy Leger more secure by patching up some outstanding maintenance issues.  The tps bump is just a nice side effect.

I trust the BIP process will work out any bugs with segwit and sidechains.  So far, so good.   Cool

Eh, to me they are introducing further points of failure and security breach (centralization, 3rd parties, etc...) whilst over-complexifying Bitcoin's code.

I'd rather have efficient (transparent?) off chain solutions to scaling as it will necessarily lead to centralization.

I just don't like my money being forked to please the social media and their mass adoption coffee cups urges.

"Wouldn't it be extremely inefficient to copy every single coffee purchase on everyone's computer?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/42tcqm/eli5_wouldnt_it_be_extremely_inefficient_to_copy/

bitcoinboy12

Activity: 518
Merit: 254

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:45:27 AM

Blockstream is moving rapidly on segwit, sidechains, and Lightning.  They are meticulously preparing Bitcoin to be carefully scaled ASAP.

Whine about it all you want.  Nothing you do can move our Honey Badger's needle one iota.  You have no power here.

WHat you think?

As you clearly you lost any ability to think, it would still be appreciated that you mind your manners and do not answer a question that is not being asked to you.

It'll still go up but I can't say that it will be a smooth ride upwards as we head to halving. There's a lot of possible things that could happen and don't forget the rich who controls the exchanges by putting/withdrawing millions of dollars only to benefit them at the end.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 08:01:28 AM

Coin

Explanation
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 08:16:27 AM

Do people have insider information on Eth? --

no inside info, all in plain sight

http://coinjournal.net/prediction-10-billion-will-be-invested-in-blockchain-startups-in-2016/

“It’s already started. I mean, my estimate is that we’re going to see $1 billion come into the Ethereum ecosystem in 2016 alone, and the general estimates for the amount of money going into the entire blockchain ecosystem, including Bitcoin, is on the order of $10 billion.”  - Vinay Gupta (original CypherPunk member)

from what i understand huge consortium of financial institutions invested in R3 (Mike Hearn) using the ethereum programming

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/r3-connects-11-banks-distributed-ledger-using-ethereum-microsoft-azure-1539044

some other financial institutions are using the legacy open source linux hyperledger

ASX is testing this at the moment

bit hard to ignore other blockchains
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 08:54:05 AM

WHat you think?

That makes the Holy Leger more secure by patching up some outstanding maintenance issues.  The tps bump is just a nice side effect.

I trust the BIP process will work out any bugs with segwit and sidechains.  So far, so good.   Cool

Eh, to me they are introducing further points of failure and security breach (centralization, 3rd parties, etc...) whilst over-complexifying Bitcoin's code.

I'd rather have efficient (transparent?) off chain solutions to scaling as it will necessarily lead to centralization.

I just don't like my money being forked to please the social media and their mass adoption coffee cups urges.

"Wouldn't it be extremely inefficient to copy every single coffee purchase on everyone's computer?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/42tcqm/eli5_wouldnt_it_be_extremely_inefficient_to_copy/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2016/01/26/segwit-benefits/ is a long read, but well worth the time*effort. 

There's no centralization or TPPs involved in segwit.  For one thing, Bitcoin CEO Adam Back (Ph.D. in distributed systems) wouldn't stand for it.

Segwit isn't being done for coffees-on-the-blockchain.  The tps bump is merely a serendipitous bonus, and just the thing for shutting up the 2MB ClassicCoin troll-forkers.

Segwit is being done to make our potentially disruptive experiment an eventually viable candidate for the job of high-powered digital cash, capable of being the provably honest mother of all settlement networks.

Segwit fixes several points of potential failure and security breach.  It also enables some amazing features, IE linear sighash scaling.

What can we do with tx signed by groups of 100 or 100k users?  I have no idea but am in favor of finding out, because I like Nice Things.

Details aside, look at the big picture here.

SW is being done as a soft fork, so there is nothing anyone can do to prevent its deployment (besides finding a deal-breaker bug or other flaw).

We can't force people to desegregate their tx and sig data.  Node operators are free to construct their blocks however they like.  Almost all of them will choose to use the new option of segregated witness, because of the apparently overwhelming advantages and acceptably negligible trade-offs.

We can run the old version and refuse to look in the newly provided companion blocks for sig data, but that doesn't change anything but our own opsec.

We are obligated to fight features, but at some point some of them begin to smell like a done deal.  Remember when everyone was upset ("rabble rabble Peter Todd rabble") about CLTV, but then some wag called it OP_HODL and suddenly all was well?   Cheesy

The BIP process has worked like a charm so far.  I don't see any reason to stop trusting it for fear of segwit, sidechains, and RBF (oh my!).

The white smoke for segwit, sidechains, Lightning, and RBF went up at the HK #ScalingBitcoin.  They're coming, and the world is preparing for a Bitcoin that is ready to scale, eventually.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:01:30 AM

Coin

Explanation
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:26:24 AM

What centralization do you see in segwit? It simply isn't there.
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:28:11 AM

Pathetic.  Grin
suda123

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:29:01 AM

Do people have insider information on Eth? --

no inside info, all in plain sight

http://coinjournal.net/prediction-10-billion-will-be-invested-in-blockchain-startups-in-2016/

“It’s already started. I mean, my estimate is that we’re going to see $1 billion come into the Ethereum ecosystem in 2016 alone, and the general estimates for the amount of money going into the entire blockchain ecosystem, including Bitcoin, is on the order of $10 billion.”  - Vinay Gupta (original CypherPunk member)

from what i understand huge consortium of financial institutions invested in R3 (Mike Hearn) using the ethereum programming

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/r3-connects-11-banks-distributed-ledger-using-ethereum-microsoft-azure-1539044

some other financial institutions are using the legacy open source linux hyperledger

ASX is testing this at the moment

bit hard to ignore other blockchains
*no inside info, all in plain sight*

interesting
Andre#

Activity: 737
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:30:17 AM

WHat you think?

If you want privacy, get a room.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 09:41:28 AM

Classic is coming, like it or not.

OK sure, just like 3 months ago 64MB Unlimited blocks were coming, like it or not.

OK sure, just like 6 months ago 8MB XTblocks were coming, like it or not.

OK sure, just like 9 months ago 20MB Gavinblocks were coming, like it or not.

Wake me up when somebody actually wastes the opportunity to mine a real block by solving a ToominBlock.

The life of that orphan chain will be nasty, brutish, and short.  I'll need to make some new #rekt memes for the occasion.   Smiley
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

@theshmadz

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:41:56 AM
Last edit: January 27, 2016, 09:59:57 AM by shmadz

What's the longest wait you had for a transaction to go through? When the spam attacks were running people who paid fees were waiting over half a day, and the backlog took a week to clear. Did you try sending any zero fee transactions while those attacks were ongoing?
Longest wait was when I tried to buy my first Avalon, they wouldn't give me an order number until my transaction confirmed, I was watching people chime in with order numbers going up and up, felt horrible, I don't remember exactly how long it took, I waited a couple hours, then went to sleep, so sometime between 2 and 6 hours.

I did not try any 0 fee during the height of the stress testing, in hindsight I wish I had. I did send a couple with minimum fee that were confirmed in first or second block.

Even without a fee I suspect they would have been confirmed pretty quick just because of the age of the coins and because they are from mining so typically very close to their respective genesis blocks and they are typically from a single unspent output...

Doesn't say much for fungibility, but not all coins are considered equal unfortunately. Also not great for scalability as the more the coins become split up, the more they are exchanged back and forth,  the more difficult they become to move...

Edit: in fact, if this bitcoin thing continues to succeed for the next several years at some point I could envision that old coins in big chunks will sell for a premium to payment processors simply because using these less tarnished coins could bring considerable savings in transaction costs...
Fatman3001
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013

Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 09:55:44 AM

I send 0 fee transactions all the time and so far they've always* gone through, so there's definitely still a decent percentage of miners that accept them. The only time I pay a fee is if I'm using a web wallet or phone wallet where the fee is built in, or if I'm sending coin to an exchange to make a trade and time is of the essence.

[more anti-semitic crap]

For the record: Fuck you, roach!
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Coin

Explanation
Dotto
Legendary

Activity: 981
Merit: 1005

No maps for these territories

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 10:06:45 AM

The mempool is at 102MB and growing. What happens when it does overflow the servers memory?. Is there some flushing mecanism or the computer get the blue screen of the death?.

What happens with that txs?
Pages: « 1 ... 14560 14561 14562 14563 14564 14565 14566 14567 14568 14569 14570 14571 14572 14573 14574 14575 14576 14577 14578 14579 14580 14581 14582 14583 14584 14585 14586 14587 14588 14589 14590 14591 14592 14593 14594 14595 14596 14597 14598 14599 14600 14601 14602 14603 14604 14605 14606 14607 14608 14609 [14610] 14611 14612 14613 14614 14615 14616 14617 14618 14619 14620 14621 14622 14623 14624 14625 14626 14627 14628 14629 14630 14631 14632 14633 14634 14635 14636 14637 14638 14639 14640 14641 14642 14643 14644 14645 14646 14647 14648 14649 14650 14651 14652 14653 14654 14655 14656 14657 14658 14659 14660 ... 33499 »
  Print  

Jump to: