Bitcoin Forum
August 21, 2024, 08:20:00 AM *
News: All versions of Windows are affected by a critical security bug; make sure you update.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: When will BTC get back above $70K:
7/14 - 0 (0%)
7/21 - 1 (1.1%)
7/28 - 11 (11.8%)
8/4 - 16 (17.2%)
8/11 - 7 (7.5%)
8/18 - 5 (5.4%)
8/25 - 7 (7.5%)
After August - 46 (49.5%)
Total Voters: 93

Pages: « 1 ... 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 ... 33665 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26439573 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:17:14 PM

Yeah but, 131 is ~1800 coins away.  Fundamentally, nothing has really changed.

Yup, true. But slowly up we go... after leaving 131 behind, it should move veery fast. Wink

Oh yeah, there is nothing stopping it after that.  I've just learned to be a little more patient with BitStamp.  You see how long it took to break through 130, right?   Shocked

Additionally, it would seem to me there is alot of continued upward push.  As bearish as I like to be, I still see nothing but "open road" ahead.  Obviously one whale could send this whole thing crashing but as it stands, this looks to have some continued power behind it. 

We are in an interesting phase of price discovery. Clearly a lot of coins are disappearing due to being put in a "savings account" and at the same time we are seeing more coins being used for donations, daily purchases, etc. I wonder how much the price will go up just based on more adoption via actual daily usage??? Really, that is an interesting question as Bitpay and the like are going to be doing the instant conversions so will be creating liquidity at the exchanges.

As the price moves up (and at times violently) we are going to see people call tops and sell. Eventually, I imagine there will be a reasonable distribution, but the early adopters will always hold a portion as they believe in the greater purpose. They will further most likely re-"invest" in Bitcoin in a variety of ways - e.g., legal fund, VC, etc.

Just considering the current float of 11 million or so and the fact that the actual float is probably less than half that, I really would not be shocked at any price this year between what we are at currently and even $1000. I don't care so much about the price, but it is still a very interesting thing to consider as we are still trying to understand what this is...

http://blockchain.info/charts/estimated-transaction-volume?daysAverageString=7

Get real , everybody is hoarding as much as they can
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 06:33:06 PM

next week starts tomorrow

just sayin...

Grin

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:35:58 PM

Yup, true. But slowly up we go... after leaving 131 behind, it should move veery fast. Wink

Oh yeah, there is nothing stopping it after that.  I've just learned to be a little more patient with BitStamp.  You see how long it took to break through 130, right?   Shocked

Additionally, it would seem to me there is alot of continued upward push.  As bearish as I like to be, I still see nothing but "open road" ahead.  Obviously one whale could send this whole thing crashing but as it stands, this looks to have some continued power behind it. 

We are in an interesting phase of price discovery. Clearly a lot of coins are disappearing due to being put in a "savings account" and at the same time we are seeing more coins being used for donations, daily purchases, etc. I wonder how much the price will go up just based on more adoption via actual daily usage??? Really, that is an interesting question as Bitpay and the like are going to be doing the instant conversions so will be creating liquidity at the exchanges.

As the price moves up (and at times violently) we are going to see people call tops and sell. Eventually, I imagine there will be a reasonable distribution, but the early adopters will always hold a portion as they believe in the greater purpose. They will further most likely re-"invest" in Bitcoin in a variety of ways - e.g., legal fund, VC, etc.

Just considering the current float of 11 million or so and the fact that the actual float is probably less than half that, I really would not be shocked at any price this year between what we are at currently and even $1000. I don't care so much about the price, but it is still a very interesting thing to consider as we are still trying to understand what this is...

How do you equate transaction volume to hoarding? I'm not saying people are not putting coins in paper wallets, but "hoarding" sounds awfully negative.

Now, even if 90% of coins were hoarded, what would it do?
The hoarders wouldn't see any value as they would be holding, right?
The 8 decimal places (100 million bits per BTC) would make it such that all transactions could still easily take place.
Eventually, some stability would be reached in the price as the volume of full BTC trades (as opposed to fractional trades) would go down, no?

The only thing that hoarding does is add value by decreasing circulating float. It doesn't seem to decrease the efficacy of what BTC is. Actually, it just attracts more people.

I just think too much worry is placed on the hoarding scenario.

IAS
dexX7
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1026

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 06:36:12 PM

http://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions?daysAverageString=7

The number of transactions is rising, but with less volume.

Some nice work from a redditor:

dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:42:54 PM

Just bought 25 btc at mt gox. Currently bouncing between 134 and 135.
Nightowlace

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2013, 06:45:26 PM

next week starts tomorrow

just sayin...

Grin

Just saying what?  Undecided
icekiss

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 06:48:04 PM

Yeah but, 131 is ~1800 coins away.  Fundamentally, nothing has really changed.

at current rate i think the wall is eaten in 2 or 3 days..  there's also a +1k short  @ bitfinex that at some point will close its position so it can go faster then we think.

depends on movement on mt.gox. If price stays more or less the same, then yes, it will take a while. But as soon as it is established above 136 (bid wall above 136), volume on bitstamp will rocket up and those walls will go down very fast indeed.  Cheesy
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1799

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:01:43 PM

Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

Additionally, it would seem to me there is alot of continued upward push.  As bearish as I like to be, I still see nothing but "open road" ahead.  Obviously one whale could send this whole thing crashing but as it stands, this looks to have some continued power behind it.  

Kinda hard to be wrong with a prediction range of 130-1000.   Shocked   Grin Grin

Seriously though, without any really bad news, (major USG type news) I can't really find much fault in this analysis.  Speculation of course, but fair.  For me it's the same, really too soon to narrow down the "silver bullet" to the rise as so many new things are taking place.  It may very well be just a perfect storm building of incoming capital, aftermath of the convention, confidence after Dwolla and Liberty, may well have a positive affect soon.  Not sure how well Gyft sales are doing but there is just a ton of little positives that seem to be adding together nicely.

For you bulls, I have to admit, there is much to cheer about or at least be optimistic about in the short term.  Mid-long term is anyones guess but for now, enjoy the fact that I can find no legitamate FUD to spread around.   Grin
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:21:29 PM

So, would rising transactions but on less volume be a sign of "hoarding"?
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:29:18 PM

I fail to see the "rising transactions" on that graph.
But , if indeed they were up , what do you think?

How about an analysis on actual fact and numbers and not suppositions?
And i'm saying that because most of your predictions are based on suppositions. Smiley))))))
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:34:46 PM

And i'm saying that because most of your predictions are based on suppositions. Smiley))))))

I'm a bit confused by your question. Where did I predict anything? Me not being shocked by a huge price range possibility?

Yes, I am supposing a lot, but aren't we all? And, I'm doing it in a sense of querying, searching and such. We don't know what it is we are dealing with and hence a lot of what I said. But I am not trying to say I know.

edit - to answer your question. If I see more transactions with decreasing volume, I would think that day to day transactions of BTC is taking place and that people see the current phase of price formation as an opportunity to collect, since we are seeing most sells met with buys (limiting downside). (So yes, people are collecting coins). Also, as others mentioned, perhaps early adopters, by their very nature and caring, don't want to sell into downward price movement so we have a huge volume of users holding coins on our side. Probably a relatively rare situation in "markets", where things are mostly just about money.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:38:14 PM

Additionally, it would seem to me there is alot of continued upward push.  As bearish as I like to be, I still see nothing but "open road" ahead.  Obviously one whale could send this whole thing crashing but as it stands, this looks to have some continued power behind it.  

Kinda hard to be wrong with a prediction range of 130-1000.   Shocked   Grin Grin

Seriously though, without any really bad news, (major USG type news) I can't really find much fault in this analysis.  Speculation of course, but fair.  For me it's the same, really too soon to narrow down the "silver bullet" to the rise as so many new things are taking place.  It may very well be just a perfect storm building of incoming capital, aftermath of the convention, confidence after Dwolla and Liberty, may well have a positive affect soon.  Not sure how well Gyft sales are doing but there is just a ton of little positives that seem to be adding together nicely.

For you bulls, I have to admit, there is much to cheer about or at least be optimistic about in the short term.  Mid-long term is anyones guess but for now, enjoy the fact that I can find no legitamate FUD to spread around.   Grin

What happened with "the US will go after Bitcoin and will kill it, Ripple will take over" and other FUD you spread non stop after the Dwolla situation? What made you to change your  mind?

Maybe you sold your useless XRPs and bought some BTC? Or you educated yourself a bit and understood that Bitcoin was designed to be immune to bans/regulation?
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

I'm a bit confused by your question. Where did I predict anything? Me not being shocked by a huge price range possibility?

Yes, I am supposing a lot, but aren't we all? And, I'm doing it in a sense of querying, searching and such. We don't know what it is we are dealing with and hence a lot of what I said. But I am not trying to say I know.

Let me quote you again
"and at the same time we are seeing more coins being used for donations, daily purchases, etc."

So, on what basis did you said that?

I like that you are so enthusiast about bitcoin , but shouldn't we keep our head cool when posting things as facts ? , we're not kings of the world yet..
Bitcoins have gone up in price , but it's role as currency is almost neglected , even by its owners. (except sr).

And sincerly I wonder where bitcoin would be without SR sometimes.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:00:46 PM

Let me quote you again
"and at the same time we are seeing more coins being used for donations, daily purchases, etc."

So, on what basis did you said that?

I like that you are so enthusiast about bitcoin , but shouldn't we keep our head cool when posting things as facts ? , we're not kings of the world yet..
Bitcoins have gone up in price , but it's role as currency is almost neglected , even by its owners. (except sr).

First, to be fair, you should probably quote exactly what it is your are questioning me about.

Now, my basis:

Listening to The Daily Bitcoin show, quite a few times now they have mentioned how donations using BTC is a very big use of it in general. And, they said it is growing (on their show). I know from my own habits, that for some reason, it feels good to tip using BTC. I'm not basing my statement on me, but adding weight to what they said on TDB show.

Daily purchases going up is all but certain. Taken from: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-16/peter-thiel-gets-bitcoin-bug
"Back in March I noted that the company was putting up mind-boggling growth rate numbers.  Incredibly, the tremendous growth rate continues as they added another 1,900 merchants in April and are currently signing up around 100 additional merchants a day."

Now, how else am I to interpret 100 new customers a day being added? I think it is pretty clear that business using BTC is increasing.

BTC as a currency is certainly being neglected by a lot of people, most notably it's speculators. But, it is also seen as a store of value, albeit a risky one (I know, ironic). I think many of us feel it's use as a currency is a given as the benefits, the TREMENDOUS benefits, are overwhelming. So, to me, it is matter of fact.

Lastly, you say I'm enthusiastic about BTC. Yes I am, but that is such an underwhelming statement to make considering what I really see happening.  Grin
Honestly, what BTC is and once you factor in the underlying technology and it's uses, to say this is a huge thing is not enough imo. It is a Black Swan, right before our eyes and it certainly appears to be anti-fragile as well. (see my sig). The only worry I do have though is regulation/government. But my bet is they are hoping to co-opt BTC and not so much slow it down. (Oh, I can't recall right now what SR is...)

IAS
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1799

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:01:48 PM

Coinseeker

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:06:09 PM

If you agree BTC is riding a bull short-term, why not hop on for the ride? Then go back to being a bear after the ride is over?  I think we will see a nice upside increase for some time that can be taken advantage of.

I'm a short term bear, long term bull.  I want cheap coins, like anyone else.   Grin  Been actually "skimming" a few points between Ripple and BitStamp, best I can.
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1018

PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:08:08 PM

Is SR back?

Yes Sr is back online.
Coinseeker

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:17:51 PM

What happened with "the US will go after Bitcoin and will kill it, Ripple will take over" and other FUD you spread non stop after the Dwolla situation? What made you to change your  mind?

I haven't changed my mind.  I speak on the here and now and all seems quite at the moment.  If you continue to believe Bitcoin is out of the crosshairs of the USG and DHS, please feel free to continue in your delusions.   Wink  I have every confidence we WILL see double digits again.  Fundamentally, that hasn't changed.

Maybe you sold your useless XRPs and bought some BTC? Or you educated yourself a bit and understood that Bitcoin was designed to be immune to bans/regulation?

If you actually followed my posts, you'd know I've never had more than 600 XRP up until last week, which I won a contest for 75k.  You can easily check my XRP and see what I have left....I'll wait..........................

Foot enter mouth.   Grin

Why you would want me to repeat my beliefs, of the USG coming after Bitcoin, is beyond me.  My views have not changed but why repeat them every day.  Things seem bright, you all deserve to enjoy the moment.  If any of you was ever paying attention, you'd know that I don't actually spread FUD.  I just call things the way I see them.  I said last monday we'd see a rise, "possibly as high as 130".  BOOM! Most of my predictions are actually accurate since I've been here so, you believe who and what you want.

But since you just want a negative jewel, I'll give you one.  In the end, I still think Bitcoin will die or at least be marginalized to black market nothingness.  Why?  Because it defies human nature.  It is based on anti-trust beliefs, where systems like Ripple are, based on trust in one another.  Two different systems and in time only one can survive.  If history is any indicator, I put my money on trust verses anti-trust.  

Now please tell me how your desire for more negative has helped this thread. Or was it you really just thought you had a "gotcha" moment.   Grin  I'm too smart for you son.  Please go back to the kiddie table and stop trying to pick a fight where there currently isn't one.   Wink
crumbcake

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2013, 08:28:02 PM

Keep seeing TA charts here, and the same nagging question comes up:  Why always straight lines?  Why not a more complex function?  Is there something fundamentally different about straight lines, other than rulers being handier than French curves? (as a minimum a half-serious question Cheesy)

http://s20.postimg.org/jls225ovx/000.jpg
Pages: « 1 ... 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 [552] 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 ... 33665 »
  Print  

Jump to: