May 06, 2024, 09:55:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 20343 20344 20345 20346 20347 20348 20349 20350 20351 20352 20353 20354 20355 20356 20357 20358 20359 20360 20361 20362 20363 20364 20365 20366 20367 20368 20369 20370 20371 20372 20373 20374 20375 20376 20377 20378 20379 20380 20381 20382 20383 20384 20385 20386 20387 20388 20389 20390 20391 20392 [20393] 20394 20395 20396 20397 20398 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 20439 20440 20441 20442 20443 ... 33326 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26372788 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
TERA2

Activity: 266
Merit: 222

Deb Rah Von Doom

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:06:10 AM

Those fucking nocoiners that didn't want to go all in max leveraged long at 10k.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 10212

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:52:42 AM
Merited by PoolMinor (2), LFC_Bitcoin (1)

I cannot believe how much money Google spent developing the JayJuanGee chat AI for these results.

Must be one of those cases in which one questions whether everything in the whole word is a simulation, which remains doubtful on the existential level.

The fact that nocoiners, like you, seem to recognize some value in AI, thus you should recognize some value in bitcoin, too.. but some of the AI endorsing fucks are getting distracted by supposed value of various other cryptos rather than recognizing the real innovations of bitcoin...... similar to you, who seems to get distracted in recognizing value in PMs, it is like you are living in the past, yet you seem smart enough that even you probably don't believe the nonsense PM pumping bullshit that you spout nor the identity politics inflamatory posts, either.

Those fucking nocoiners that didn't want to go all in max leveraged long at 10k.

That is a strawman argument, if I have ever seen one.

Only you troll shills are suggesting that regular peeps should be playing around with leverage, because you hope that you can cause peeps to perceive BTC investing as gambling rather than the long term value that it actually is.  Fact of the matter, Tera, remains that it does not matter exactly when you began to buy into bitcoin, including starting at $19,666, because if you maintain a prudent strategy and you continue to prudently invest in BTC, such as dollar cost averaging, incrementalism, accumulation and buying on dips, you are quite likely to thank yourselfie profusely in 3-5 years (and perhaps a shorter period of time) that you took an active approach to get involved in BTC and to take stake and accumulate as many BTC as you can within your reasonable means (perhaps using some leverage, but certainly not max leveraging anything because past BTC performance should teach any reasonable person that BTC is like to continue to be volatile and even downwardly manipulated below its fundamental value).
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 04:13:48 AM

Oh please. the way banknotes started in the first place is merchants wanted to store their gold at a bank, rather than lugging it around themselves or setting up their own fort and small militia to protect it. Then they were issued a piece of paper, a banknote. When the bankers discovered people were using the banknotes like money, they discovered a way to loan people paper and run a fractional reserve. It doesn't matter what medium you use as money. Someone is going to find a way to put them self in the middle and exact their usurious fees. Or just plain use force or stealth and outright steal your bounty.

Interestingly, the first technology to be developed since the advent of fractional reserve banking that actually has a real chance of putting a stop to most of the double counting of reserve assets is... drum-roll... blockchain!

Except not even exchanges are currently using that "feature".

Thanks to blockchain exchanges could be already guaranteeing they don't run fractional reserve. It would be as simple as this:

- Every exchange user is given a "unique private identifier".
- Every day, the exchange publish a balance sheet that comprises a listing of all UPI's and its individual balances. The total is the minimum amount of reserves the exchange must control to prove absence of fractional reserve "banking".
- Simultaneously the exchange publish a listing of addresses which individual balances (can be checked on their respective blockchains for accuracy) sum, at least, the total needed. Obviously they sign a timestamped code with those addresses to prove ownership.

- Individual users could check their balances are included and accounted for in the balance sheet.

... But not a single one exchange is still doing this. Wonder why.....

Agreed. Decentralized exchanges need to take hold.

Bisq is an ok start but p2p is not good for liquidity.

I started work on a decentralized exchange that acts just like a regular exchange with fiat. But it's not the simplest of things to accomplish, will take some time.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:29:11 AM

you know what goes here

Oh please. the way banknotes started in the first place is merchants wanted to store their gold at a bank, rather than lugging it around themselves or setting up their own fort and small militia to protect it. Then they were issued a piece of paper, a banknote. When the bankers discovered people were using the banknotes like money, they discovered a way to loan people paper and run a fractional reserve. It doesn't matter what medium you use as money. Someone is going to find a way to put them self in the middle and exact their usurious fees. Or just plain use force or stealth and outright steal your bounty.

Interestingly, the first technology to be developed since the advent of fractional reserve banking that actually has a real chance of putting a stop to most of the double counting of reserve assets is... drum-roll... blockchain!

I'm sorry. I don't subscribe to your point of view either.  All I have seen in the 4 years in this cryptocurrency space is scam after scam and scheme after scheme. There is no salvation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVpMxVn6mk

Ok what If I modify my statement a bit.

Interestingly, the first technology to be developed since the advent of fractional reserve banking that actually has a real chance is theoretically technologically capable of putting a stop to most of the double counting of reserve assets is... drum-roll... blockchain!

Would you disagree that it is a tool that is, at least in theory, capable of combating this in a meaningful way? If so, would you agree that it is the first technology that has ever been invented that is potentially capable of doing this?

The main reason that we see so much scamminess in this space is that blockchain is largely about censorship resistance, which is for the most part only needed by people who would be censored, and, big surprise, it turns out that a lot of the people who would have been censored are people who would have been up to no good. IMAGINE THAT! Anyway, just because that sort of thing is the lowest hanging fruit and so developed out first, I don't think this means that blockchain technology will never find legitimate use cases in safeguarding against scams (like the double counting of precious metals reserves).

4 years is not a long time, it is a flash in the pan.
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:31:04 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 05:01:36 AM by bones261

Thanks to blockchain exchanges could be already guaranteeing they don't run fractional reserve. It would be as simple as this:

- Every day, the exchange publish a balance sheet that comprises a listing of all UPI's and its individual balances. The total is the minimum amount of reserves the exchange must control to prove absence of fractional reserve "banking".
- Simultaneously the exchange publish a listing of addresses which individual balances (can be checked on their respective blockchains for accuracy) sum, at least, the total needed. Obviously they sign a timestamped code with those addresses to prove ownership.

- Individual users could check their balances are included and accounted for in the balance sheet.

Agreed. Decentralized exchanges need to take hold.

Bisq is an ok start but p2p is not good for liquidity.

I started work on a decentralized exchange that acts just like a regular exchange with fiat[/b]. But it's not the simplest of things to accomplish, will take some time.

And this is the crux of the problem. BTC needs to find a way to decouple itself from fiat. Unfortunately, there is not enough adoption at this time to accomplish this. One would be really hard pressed to be able to fully purchase all of the goods and services they need directly with BTC.
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:44:14 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 05:06:09 AM by bones261

I'm sorry. I don't subscribe to your point of view either.  All I have seen in the 4 years in this cryptocurrency space is scam after scam and scheme after scheme. There is no salvation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPVpMxVn6mk

Interestingly, the first technology to be developed since the advent of fractional reserve banking that actually has a real chance is theoretically technologically capable of putting a stop to most of the double counting of reserve assets is... drum-roll... blockchain!

Would you disagree that it is a tool that is, at least in theory, capable of combating this in a meaningful way? If so, would you agree that it is the first technology that has ever been invented that is potentially capable of doing this?

The main reason that we see so much scamminess in this space is that blockchain is largely about censorship resistance, which is for the most part only needed by people who would be censored, and, big surprise, it turns out that a lot of the people who would have been censored are people who would have been up to no good. IMAGINE THAT! Anyway, just because that sort of thing is the lowest hanging fruit and so developed out first, I don't think this means that blockchain technology will never find legitimate use cases in safeguarding against scams (like the double counting of precious metals reserves).

Unfortunately, there is nothing to prevent someone from building a layer on top of a blockchain and issuing tokens that are supposed to be backed by deposits and then running a fractional reserve. (Many accuse Tether of doing just that.) Furthermore, blockchains have difficulty scaling. That is why BTC has resorted to the lightning network to attempt to address the scaling problem.
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2784
Merit: 1813

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 05:28:00 AM

Unfortunately, there is nothing to prevent someone from building a layer on top of a blockchain and issuing tokens that are supposed to be backed by deposits and then running a fractional reserve. (Many accuse Tether of doing just that.) Furthermore, blockchains have difficulty scaling. That is why BTC has resorted to the lightning network to attempt to address the scaling problem.

So BTC is a solution, but it's really not a solution because someone can come up with a different solution on top of BTC which wouldn't really be a solution at all, thus making underlying BTC not a solution. Think i got it. And then BTC is having problem scaling so that's why they introduced a scaling solution called LN. Did i get it right?
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 05:41:40 AM

Okey so whats next???

Were gonne drop to €3k???

thinking BTC is just testing the doug polk 10K bet

I haven't seen anything from DPolk, recently, but I would imagine that he must be getting a bit nervous..... Tone Vays did have the better side of the bet in terms of being able to use the bet as leverage.. but it did seem that DPolk did make what seemed to be a reasonably decent bet in which odds seemed to be working pretty good for him.. and not so much now..

I seriously doubt Doug is the least bit nervous.  He is a pro, he knows his odds and is resigned to the outcome the fates deliver.

Also, he isn't exactly going hungry if he loses.

edit/ I see capslock beat me to it
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 05:51:08 AM

And this is the crux of the problem. BTC needs to find a way to decouple itself from fiat. Unfortunately, there is not enough adoption at this time to accomplish this. One would be really hard pressed to be able to fully purchase all of the goods and services they need directly with BTC.

I got to about 90% of purchases when I lived in Germany (I think gasoline was the final thing).

In the US it would have been so much easier. Bitcoin people in the US have it so easy for spending bitcoins but they don't even know it.
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:09:43 AM

So BTC is a solution, but it's really not a solution because someone can come up with a different solution on top of BTC which wouldn't really be a solution at all, thus making underlying BTC not a solution. Think i got it. And then BTC is having problem scaling so that's why they introduced a scaling solution called LN. Did i get it right?

If the solution you want is to totally prevent people from running fractional reserves, then no, the blockchain is not the solution. Perhaps if you could cram all of the functionality onto the blockchain itself it may be a solution. However, when you try to cram all of the functionality onto the blockchain itself, you run into a scaling issue. You can get a blockchain to scale, but this always comes at the cost of the network being more centralized.
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:25:08 AM

If the solution you want is to totally prevent people from running fractional reserves, then no, the blockchain is not the solution. Perhaps if you could cram all of the functionality onto the blockchain itself it may be a solution. However, when you try to cram all of the functionality onto the blockchain itself, you run into a scaling issue. You can get a blockchain to scale, but this always comes at the cost of the network being more centralized.

Oh ok i think you cleared it up now, but just to make sure, so it's impossible to cram every possible functionality in any system, and it's also impossible to prevent a derivatives market based on any underlying asset. And since BTC exists in our faulty universe BTC is burdened with the restrictions that apply to every other system. Thus we draw a conclusion that BTC is a failed experiment and will die? I believe the scientific name for this argument is 'R0ach logic'
nanobtc

Activity: 601
Merit: 610

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2018, 06:28:22 AM

Please don't quote the established trolls. You cannot win, and they gain traction.
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:41:23 AM

Because since fiat reserves cannot be verified in this manner, you're going through all this trouble to only verify 50% of your reserves. Meaning they can still theoretically run 50% fractional reserve but now you'd have that warm comforting feeling that those number mean something that they really don't.
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:50:25 AM

Good roach it's like you're almost relevant in this form!
bitserve
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1464

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:54:49 AM

Because since fiat reserves cannot be verified in this manner, you're going through all this trouble to only verify 50% of your reserves. Meaning they can still theoretically run 50% fractional reserve but now you'd have that warm comforting feeling that those number mean something that they really don't.

Being able to verify they are not running fractional reserve on crypto alone would be a great advantage. Also, FIAT funds can be proved by a signed and stamped bank statement. It could be forged yeah.... but, anyways, the FIAT reserves of the exchanges, being stored in bank accounts, are ALREADY being subject to fractional reserve by the banks itself Wink

Do you really not think an exchange that proofs daily that they have all the crypto they are suppossed to have would not be a big improvement to current system?
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:01:44 AM

I officially bull trolled myself out of a once in a lifetime opportunity to make something of myself. That is so me.

AMA.

Did you sell?
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:02:44 AM

Being able to verify they are not running fractional reserve on crypto alone would be a great advantage. Also, FIAT funds can be proved by a signed and stamped bank statement. It could be forged yeah.... but, anyways, the FIAT reserves of the exchanges, being stored in bank accounts, are ALREADY being subject to fractional reserve by the banks itself Wink

Do you really not think an exchange that proofs daily that they have all the crypto they are suppossed to have would not be a big improvement to current system?

I'm an exchange, you deposit BTC100 with me and r0ach deposits his 2643940 shekels. I buy a lambo i mean get "hacked" for BTC50. I go to another exchange and purchase BTC50 with roaches 1321970 shekels. And at the end of the day i can still provide verifiable proof that i hold BTC100 which corresponds to my balance sheet. Yay for false sense of security!! Partial audits are pretty useless. Now this possibly could work on those crypto only exchanges, that's the future we hope to have one day

Edit: Oh and i also go to another bank and take a loan out for 1321970 shekels, and deposit it in the first bank and provide a legit statement of the full 2643940 shekels in the first bank. Never mind my 1321970 shekel liability to the 2nd bank. Unfortunately fiat is untraceable thats why all the drug cartels, pimps, and war lords use it, would be awesome to replace it with something better 
bitserve
Legendary

Self made HODLER ✓

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:07:07 AM

I'm an exchange, you deposit BTC100 with me and r0ach deposits 2643940 shekels. I buy a lambo i mean get "hacked" for BTC50. I go to another exchange and purchase BTC50 with roaches 1321970 shekels. And at the end of the day i can still provide verifiable proof that i hold BTC10 which corresponds to my balance sheet. Yay for false sense of security!!

It's not only for "security". As soon as you are not running fractional reserve on crypto you are not lowering the price of it. It's ok to me if every (or any, for starters) exchange is forced to proof they hodl the real btc balance. And as I said, it could also be complemented with a bank balance certificate of FIAT funds in the "traditional" way.
bones261
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:10:21 AM

Oh ok i think you cleared it up now, but just to make sure, so it's impossible to cram every possible functionality in any system, and it's also impossible to prevent a derivatives market based on any underlying asset. And since BTC exists in our faulty universe BTC is burdened with the restrictions that apply to every other system. Thus we draw a conclusion that BTC is a failed experiment and will die? I believe the scientific name for this argument is 'R0ach logic'

Did I ever state that BTC is a failed experiment? Or is that what is implied whenever someone dare states that the blockchain and BTC are not the end all be all solution to everything.  Cheesy
DaRude
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:12:08 AM

It's not only for "security". As soon as you are not running fractional reserve on crypto you are not lowering the price of it. It's ok to me if every (or any, for starters) exchange is forced to proof they hodl the real btc balance. And as I said, it could also be complemented with a bank balance certificate of FIAT funds in the "traditional" way.

See my edit above
Pages: « 1 ... 20343 20344 20345 20346 20347 20348 20349 20350 20351 20352 20353 20354 20355 20356 20357 20358 20359 20360 20361 20362 20363 20364 20365 20366 20367 20368 20369 20370 20371 20372 20373 20374 20375 20376 20377 20378 20379 20380 20381 20382 20383 20384 20385 20386 20387 20388 20389 20390 20391 20392 [20393] 20394 20395 20396 20397 20398 20399 20400 20401 20402 20403 20404 20405 20406 20407 20408 20409 20410 20411 20412 20413 20414 20415 20416 20417 20418 20419 20420 20421 20422 20423 20424 20425 20426 20427 20428 20429 20430 20431 20432 20433 20434 20435 20436 20437 20438 20439 20440 20441 20442 20443 ... 33326 »
  Print  

Jump to: