May 02, 2024, 12:18:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What happens first:
New ATH - 43 (69.4%)
<$60,000 - 19 (30.6%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: « 1 ... 7352 7353 7354 7355 7356 7357 7358 7359 7360 7361 7362 7363 7364 7365 7366 7367 7368 7369 7370 7371 7372 7373 7374 7375 7376 7377 7378 7379 7380 7381 7382 7383 7384 7385 7386 7387 7388 7389 7390 7391 7392 7393 7394 7395 7396 7397 7398 7399 7400 7401 [7402] 7403 7404 7405 7406 7407 7408 7409 7410 7411 7412 7413 7414 7415 7416 7417 7418 7419 7420 7421 7422 7423 7424 7425 7426 7427 7428 7429 7430 7431 7432 7433 7434 7435 7436 7437 7438 7439 7440 7441 7442 7443 7444 7445 7446 7447 7448 7449 7450 7451 7452 ... 33315 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion  (Read 26370853 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (174 posts by 3 users with 9 merit deleted.)
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 05:17:09 AM

Nice!!!!!!!

We moved up $3.00!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

whoo who...

well with no or little volume..everyone hoarding btc including whales on anticipated next rally....and only a certain speed of newbies or adaptation
in the real world to encourage demand or crazy btc'er's like us to further buy/mine and hold and crank the cycle around to the next level

it likely is gonna be a big 'yawn' for a few more months imho

seems we have hit a bottleneck and thy name is "bitcoin acceptance/expansion" of course it is hard to do with all the press/and claims of FUD
and every day the prediction of BTC's ultimate failure in order to sell papers or make $$$ for your network etc

yet BTC still chugs along (just not at the speed I'd like)

guess it makes sense it is universal among the 10 people that I told last fall and now they asked so I told them how I'm doing this year with BTC
they still think it is a big ponzi scheme scam and I should cash out....they cling to the belief it is a 'bubble' 'scam' because to admit otherwise
means they missed the boat when I told them about BTC last fall....that is an unacceptable deflation of ego if BTC fails would be an ego  boost.
cause they 'called it' as a scam....so denial has kicked in imho...so I will shut up about it till they ask another 1/2 year from now on my BTC hobby
(poor deluded fool that I am in their view) maybe if BTC is over 1K by then I can get them to admit it 'might' not be a scam...

man I hate these negative BTC headwinds by the powers that be/press/media etc

anyway BTC is still  plugging along ..but we may sit imho at between 550 usd and 650 usd for quite a while maybe as long as Oct 2014 before
enough acceptance/expansion happens...to make the price stabilize at a higher level again just in a poor mood this week with above...so take
this with a grain of salt..

what do I know just my pessimistic view over getting beat up on bitcoin by the above family/friends/co-workers etc that I tried to tell about it
last fall.....the consensus in my small world/group has not changed..in fact it seems more hostile...again if I'm right they all missed the boat

somehow I am pretty sure if BTC hits 2k it is all gonna be my fault I did not convince the people above to get some BTC last year or this week

so it goes I guess

Searing

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ChartBuddy
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1776

1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:00:11 AM

Explanation
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 06:45:01 AM

The listing of COIN will be a liquidity event like no other in BTC history.  The most extreme bubble in BTC history is the 53x ramp from April to June of 2011.  It would be unreasonable not to consider that the impact of COIN might exceed that event, therefore.  A 60x ramp would achieve that by a significant margin, without breaking new territory.  

Let's suppose that there is a 50% chance of COIN being listed, and an 90% chance of a multi-month topping formation to ensue, and a 10% chance of that formation, conditional upon its formation, breaking a new scale record.  I consider all of these estimates to be low-ball.  The resulting contribution to the aggregate value of a bitcoin in Q1 2015, over all scenarios, is 920; a 25 bp/diem return means that if all other scenarios were flat zeros, even so your expection is net 9 bp/diem positive carry against current BFX margin rates.  

If the stopping time of a 13% margin call at 620 is less that sqrt((920-620)*9/25) ~ 10 times the duration of the scenario (I take at 160 days), then there is a net negative expectation.  I will spare you the stopping time calculation (a bunch of stochastic integration very ill-suited to a forum post).  It is much less.  In other words, I consider provable given a few reasonable and not very limiting scenario assumptions (although not here proven even conditionally) the (perhaps obvious) conclusion that even the most eggregiously optimistic scenario cannot justify the risk of full margined carry, unless you can get substantially better rates (or higher leverage limits) elsewhere.

Holding, on the other hand, is a no-brainer.  

Intermediate leverage falls between, and I have yet to calculate the optimum, which depends on better scenario coverage for its confidence margins.  It really requires a numerical approximation to do it on a principled basis with reasonable margins, at my level of understanding.  I couldn't expect to produce a closed form for the general case in the time one could allow to do a doctoral dissertation, so it's just not practical for me to try.

TL;DR: HODL

ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:00:10 AM

Explanation
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:05:51 AM

Past history has shown us that BTC can only sit stagnate for short spurts. I'm thinking we are bound to see some volatility soon. Hopefully in the green direction!
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:10:24 AM

The listing of COIN will be a liquidity event like no other in BTC history.
In what ways is COIN different from SMBIT and PBP?

Asrael999

Activity: 703
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:19:58 AM

The listing of COIN will be a liquidity event like no other in BTC history.
In what ways is COIN different from SMBIT and PBP?

An ETF can be invested in by anyone regardless of their net worth. It will also be eligible for pension accounts -which neither SMBIT or PBP are. It should also be far more liquid.

EDIT:

Do I think it will have an immediate positive impact on the bitcoin price? No, professional investors already have a number of options for bitcoin investment - and the vast majority will choose to invest in companies that will make money from bitcoin adoption via fiat cashflows, (this they understand eg coinbase, bitpay, circle ) rather than taking a speculative punt on bitcoin itself, which ultimately may only be an exchange medium through which fiat passes in order to reduce transaction costs.   That said the new ETF will be different to the previously registered fund types
JorgeStolfi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:29:01 AM

[ COIN ] will also be eligible for pension accounts -which neither SMBIT or PBP are.
Thanks! I thought that the main advantage of SMBIT over bitcoin itself was that it could be used for retirement accounts, some of them at least (Roth?)
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:38:17 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 07:54:44 AM by aminorex

[ COIN ] will also be eligible for pension accounts -which neither SMBIT or PBP are.
Thanks! I thought that the main advantage of SMBIT over bitcoin itself was that it could be used for retirement accounts, some of them at least (Roth?)

You can certainly hold BTC in an IRA, Roth or traditional, or a 401k, Roth or traditional, etc.  However, it is very inconvenient to do so today.  With COIN it will become substantially easier, although it's still a bit of a bother to convert in most cases.  This is typical of highly regulated systems.  The rules don't actually prevent you from doing anything you choose, they just make it costly and difficult to do anything creative or counter-cultural.

COIN is an open-ended fund.  Any retail investor can buy it.  Any mutual fund the rules of which allow it can buy it.  In the extremal case, all of the funds currently being used to purchase other ETPs (stocks &c) can flow into COIN.  That's a lot.

The only practical limit to the amount of fiat COIN can burn is the propensity of the regulators to pull the plug.  SMBIT, PBP in contrast live in a very rarified atmosphere.

In an extreme (not yet extremal) scenario, COIN burns too much fiat, so it is halted.  Meanwhile, now mania is only piqued by events, and all the fiat, in a frenzied heat, leaves the capital markets to seek BTC over the counter.  Singularity is discovered - an alternate extremum.
Asrael999

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:42:53 AM

I am not sure about that - you may be right - the minimum investment in SMBIT is quite large, the ETF should have a much smaller investment size.  Please also see my EDIT to my previous post, I am also a little dubious that a listing for COIN has an immediate positive impact on the price of BTC.
Asrael999

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:47:13 AM

You can certainly hold BTC in an IRA, Roth or traditional, or a 401k, Roth or traditional, etc.

COIN is an open-ended fund.  Any retail investor can buy it.  Any mutual fund the rules of which allow it can buy it.  In the extremal case, all of the funds currently being used to purchase other ETPs (stocks &c) can flow into COIN.  That's a lot.

The only practical limit to the amount of fiat COIN can burn is the propensity of the regulators to pull the plug.  SMBIT, PBP in contrast live in a very rarified atmosphere, in comparison.

In an extreme (not yet extremal) scenario, COIN burns too much fiat, so it is halted.  Meanwhile, now mania is only piqued by events, and all the fiat, in a frenzied heat, leaves the capital markets to seek BTC over the counter.  Singularity is discovered - an alternate extremum.

Agreed - and thanks for the info on US pension systems, I was unaware of this.
My question is - Is the mere existence of COIN enough to trigger a price rise - or do you need another trigger event (or series of events) where COIN can then facilitate the investment of fiat into BTC?
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:52:25 AM

My question is - Is the mere existence of COIN enough to trigger a price rise - or do you need another trigger event (or series of events) where COIN can then facilitate the investment of fiat into BTC?

I said COIN removed the limits on how much fiat "can" flow in.  The willingness of buyers to buy determine how much "will" flow in.  I don't have any adequate model for that (heh).  Some argue that none is possible.  I think their notions of adequacy are unreasonable, however.

Yeah, you definitely need a trigger sequence.
dannyspk

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:53:11 AM

The listing of COIN will be a liquidity event like no other in BTC history.  The most extreme bubble in BTC history is the 53x ramp from April to June of 2011.  It would be unreasonable not to consider that the impact of COIN might exceed that event, therefore.  A 60x ramp would achieve that by a significant margin, without breaking new territory.  

Let's suppose that there is a 50% chance of COIN being listed, and an 90% chance of a multi-month topping formation to ensue, and a 10% chance of that formation, conditional upon its formation, breaking a new scale record.  I consider all of these estimates to be low-ball.  The resulting contribution to the aggregate value of a bitcoin in Q1 2015, over all scenarios, is 920; a 25 bp/diem return means that if all other scenarios were flat zeros, even so your expection is net 9 bp/diem positive carry against current BFX margin rates.  

If the stopping time of a 13% margin call at 620 is less that sqrt((920-620)*9/25) ~ 10 times the duration of the scenario (I take at 160 days), then there is a net negative expectation.  I will spare you the stopping time calculation (a bunch of stochastic integration very ill-suited to a forum post).  It is much less.  In other words, I consider provable given a few reasonable and not very limiting scenario assumptions (although not here proven even conditionally) the (perhaps obvious) conclusion that even the most eggregiously optimistic scenario cannot justify the risk of full margined carry, unless you can get substantially better rates (or higher leverage limits) elsewhere.

Holding, on the other hand, is a no-brainer.  

Intermediate leverage falls between, and I have yet to calculate the optimum, which depends on better scenario coverage for its confidence margins.  It really requires a numerical approximation to do it on a principled basis with reasonable margins, at my level of understanding.  I couldn't expect to produce a closed form for the general case in the time one could allow to do a doctoral dissertation, so it's just not practical for me to try.

I've always found staggering credibility in your posts. So, looking at what you wrote, Bitcoin price went from $0.6 to $32 between April to June of 2011. That's a 53x ramp as you said. Are you saying after the listing of COIN, Bitcoin will see another surge of 60x from it's current $600?
kehtolo

Activity: 707
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 07:57:21 AM

Nice!!!!!!!

We moved up $3.00!!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

what do I know just my pessimistic view over getting beat up on bitcoin by the above family/friends/co-workers etc that I tried to tell about it
last fall.....the consensus in my small world/group has not changed..in fact it seems more hostile...again if I'm right they all missed the boat

Searing

..Had a conversation last weekend with an otherwise very intelligent guy. He also thinks bitcoin is a ponzi and a scam..
We talked about the concept on money and ponzi's.. i didn't convince him of anything.. nor did he convince me of anything.. (his arguments were nothing i haven't heard before anyway)
At least he had heard of it and some opinions on it.. even if i thought they were wrong.

I don't waste time on people like this.. it's not my job to change their minds.. but maybe like you, we can revisit the topic in another 1/2 year.. and might have a different conversation.
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:00:12 AM

Explanation
aminorex
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:03:58 AM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 08:20:30 AM by aminorex

I've always found staggering credibility in your posts.

Perhaps in this case my staggering credibility derived from copping to the fact that I'm too lazy/dumb to do the proper maths.  And from the fact that I am staggering just a bit.

So, looking at what you wrote, Bitcoin price went from $0.6 to $32 between April to June of 2011. That's a 53x ramp as you said. Are you saying after the listing of COIN, Bitcoin will see another surge of 60x from it's current $600?

No, I'm just trying to make you think that's what I'm saying.  (Truth in humor: It suits me if people think about inspiring extrema as well as the dismal ones so often promulgated.)

What I am saying is that there is a case to be made that it is possible, on the basis of historic precedent, and on the basis of fundamental market structure.  Once possibility is established we are motivated to ask how probable it is.  It seems much more probable that the fund will rise 60x (BTC market cap about 500bn, which is less than half of Apple, for example) than that a bitcoin singularity occurs.  Given the propensity of market panics to lead to divergent behaviours, even the latter is conceivably possible.  Or bitcoin can go to zero due to a bug or an cryptographic innovation or a political action.

I'm raising various extreme scenarios.  Usually an extreme scenario requires lots of things to happen in just the right way, so they don't happen very often.  But it's good to be prepared, and they do exercise the limits of our preparedness.  That includes extremely bullish cases as well as extremely bearish ones.  (But that doesn't mean that the two opposite extremes cancel each other out.  Whether they do depends on your utility function, which is a whole 'nother topic.  Utility functions I consider reasonable result in very asymmetric outcomes:  There is much more risk of missed opportunity than there is risk of ruinous calamity -- and, most practically, the latter is much easier to hedge.)

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:29:39 AM

I've always found staggering credibility in your posts.

Perhaps in this case my staggering credibility derived from copping to the fact that I'm too lazy/dumb to do the proper maths.  And from the fact that I am staggering just a bit.

stagger |ˈstagər| verb
1 walk or move unsteadily, as if about to fall:
2 astonish or deeply shock: (as adj. staggering)

The question is: did he mean definition 1 or 2? Tongue

In any case, I agree that it is difficult to overstate the potential impact of COIN. 
nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:46:44 AM

I believe aminorex has been drinking yet he is coherent.  What is he doing up in the middle of the night?
ChartBuddy
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:00:09 AM

Explanation
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 09:20:31 AM

(...)

Most bullish post since months.

Reminds me of this chart:

Grin Grin Grin

I sincerely hope you you are right. It would mean I could retire when i'm only 25  LOL
Pages: « 1 ... 7352 7353 7354 7355 7356 7357 7358 7359 7360 7361 7362 7363 7364 7365 7366 7367 7368 7369 7370 7371 7372 7373 7374 7375 7376 7377 7378 7379 7380 7381 7382 7383 7384 7385 7386 7387 7388 7389 7390 7391 7392 7393 7394 7395 7396 7397 7398 7399 7400 7401 [7402] 7403 7404 7405 7406 7407 7408 7409 7410 7411 7412 7413 7414 7415 7416 7417 7418 7419 7420 7421 7422 7423 7424 7425 7426 7427 7428 7429 7430 7431 7432 7433 7434 7435 7436 7437 7438 7439 7440 7441 7442 7443 7444 7445 7446 7447 7448 7449 7450 7451 7452 ... 33315 »
  Print  

Jump to: