Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 01:05:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  
Author Topic: bitfloor issues?  (Read 55492 times)
notig

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:48:50 PM

Wasn't the market depth of bitfloor rather tiny? A panic sounds hilariousss. I don't think the alt exchanges can cause or have panics .. since everything is focused on mt gox
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:52:23 PM

Wasn't the market depth of bitfloor rather tiny? A panic sounds hilariousss. I don't think the alt exchanges can cause or have panics .. since everything is focused on mt gox

They were the 4th largest USD exchange, by volume.  There are several smaller fish.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
antimattercrusader

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 11:56:21 PM

Real businesses get chargebacks and they file through the claim process.   Real businesses do not get paypal frozen if they had opened the account properly and gave truthful information on what they are doing. 

Oh my.  I'm sorry, but you're mistaken.  It happens all the time.

+1, I cannot agree strongly enough. I had horrible issues with Paypal. They froze my account for 6 months, reversed payments I had sent to suppliers and refunds to customers to the tune of $7000, and refused to repay these people even after the provided proof of shipments/services rendered. I had to repay them with Western Union, and since my capital was stuck in Paypal, that was not an easy task. I called their support, one person was extremely rude, saying "Our reasons are proprietary and confidential, this is a private company. We are simply telling you we no longer want you as a customer, which we have the right to do".  Another agent was nicer, but still unable to unfreeze the account or do anything useful.

They did, after 6 months, release the funds. But by then damage was done. Now I am part of the "love bitcoin" community lol! I guess Paypal is right, they can choose to not do business as they see fit. It's a free market. However, reversing refunds and payment to vendors and then freezing them is unacceptable. In fact they even froze & terminated one of my vendors accounts. I think "Our reasons are proprietary and confidential" is unacceptable given this tactics.

Screw paypal. (And Bitfloor's bank). Long live bitcoin!

BTC: 13WYhobWLHRMvBwXGq5ckEuUyuDPgMmHuK
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 11:57:54 PM

PayPal is notorious for freezing funds without much explination and taking forever. They also have horrible customer service.

I've had them freeze funds of a legit business of mine for months on end.

Do not trust PayPal, its not a good company.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Dr3AM$cAp3

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:14:48 AM

Screw paypal. (And Bitfloor's bank). Long live bitcoin!

Fucking. This.

New to the game, too much to learn.
Smiley OD, sarcasm implied.
johnblaze

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:16:26 AM

i didn't get this email... why not?
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:19:44 AM

That's actually a good question.

It was said the e-mail would be sent out in small grouops so as not to completely disrupt the market @ bitfloor, but it seems like alot of people didn't get notified.

Did you have a USD balance? Maybe they only notified people with a USD balance, or maybe only if you have a BTC balance or something. Not sure, but I got the e-mail 8am.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:22:23 AM

You better remove your personal information from headers.

And please post headers of another know to be legit mail from bitfloor to compare.

Are there any personal details in there aside from email address?

I can confirm that the headers match from an email I received in 2012.

Just your IP address.  Now "they" know what IP to hack to find a bitcoin wallet Tongue.

His IP is not in the headers, that's the sender.

Just the sender eh?

Received: by 10.112.143.98

Are you trolling or just retarded? When someone sends you an e-mail, your IP doesn't magically jump into the headers. Received ips is referring to the receiving mail server.

No... it's just most people I know run their own mail servers.  As I said above.

ASS U ME

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
fitty

Activity: 728

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:26:32 AM

You better remove your personal information from headers.

And please post headers of another know to be legit mail from bitfloor to compare.

Are there any personal details in there aside from email address?

I can confirm that the headers match from an email I received in 2012.

Just your IP address.  Now "they" know what IP to hack to find a bitcoin wallet Tongue.

His IP is not in the headers, that's the sender.

Just the sender eh?

Received: by 10.112.143.98

Are you trolling or just retarded? When someone sends you an e-mail, your IP doesn't magically jump into the headers. Received ips is referring to the receiving mail server.

No... it's just most people I know run their own mail servers.  As I said above.

ASS U ME

*lol* On their home internet connection? Really? They run a domain, the mail server, from their home net connection. Funny how I don't know ANYONE who does that. I know people who have shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server doing that, but on their home net connection? Really?

He had a gmail address and it's clearly google's mail servers. I didn't have to assume, I knew it wasn't his IP.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:37:34 AM

Yes.  We prefer to control the hardware, security, and backup procedures ourselves.  A service agreement can't recover your data.

I should have clarified I didn't believe his IP was in the headers.  I just wanted to correct your statement that only the sender ip was in the headers.

That said, I will now hopefully make you smile so you can just drop the attacks and move on with your life.

fitty, you win the internet

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
fitty

Activity: 728

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 01:46:51 AM

Yes.  We prefer to control the hardware, security, and backup procedures ourselves.  A service agreement can't recover your data.

I should have clarified I didn't believe his IP was in the headers.  I just wanted to correct your statement that only the sender ip was in the headers.

That said, I will now hopefully make you smile so you can just drop the attacks and move on with your life.

fitty, you win the internet

Google apps is free bro, it's more secure then whatever bootleg server you're running in your bedroom.

99.9999% of the planet isn't running a mail server out of their basement. Your IP is not in the headers. You made it seem like it was. 99.9999% of the time it's not. So it's not worth mentioning.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
segfault

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 01:58:05 AM

I really like their UI. I hope they are able to find another bank and have the will to continue running an exchange.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:03:39 AM

Wait, it isn't frozen though...right?  It's just being shut down in a few days....

So we're good.... yeah?

Love me some Bitfloor. Sad

The account was frozen but folks can still ACH back to their personal bank accounts. Roman will have to find a new bank and a new fiat funding route; I think he only had CapitalOne360 Person2Person and cash deposit.
But seriously, bitfloor was the only place where I could easily buy coins, I could put cash in and have it online in 30 minutes, with a total charge of 2%
That was too good to be true. Now I have to use crappy moneygram (that takes 10% total fee to load the dollars) or wire money (and wait 3-5 days)

This shows how easily banks can fight back against bitcoin, making adoption more difficult.
1) Check out CampBX, you can mail USPS money orders and they are credited within a day after being received. USPS money orders cost ~$1.35 and a first class stamp costs forty something cents.
2) If banks didn't do stuff like this, nobody would be interested in bitcoin. Don't let the banksters win  Wink
Real businesses get chargebacks and they file through the claim process.   Real businesses do not get paypal frozen if they had opened the account properly and gave truthful information on what they are doing.  

Lol. Minor Miner is going to have a nice surprise when he reads the rest of the thread with the people who owned real businesses and were scammed by PayPal. Minor Miner needs to lurk a little more, PayPal is one of the most fraudulent money-transfer corporations in existence. Google "paypal fraud." They freeze accounts left and right for absolutely no reason - downright scamsters.
I remember reading about a woman who sold pantyhose and other womens-fashion-related items and was completely upfront about what she sold, was a "real business," registered, etc. After a year of flawless service they froze her funds and her account, citing "violation of TOS by selling sexual merchandise." I looked on her website, it was nothing sexual at all, simply what you'd see on a website that sells womens' clothes and accessories. It took her months to get her funds back, there were thousands of dollars tied up.
The internet is full of PayPal horror stories! Get your head out of your ass dude! "Real businesses" lol. You been schooled! Sent back to school! The school of "what banksters do in the real world to 'real businesses'"  Grin Grin Grin a division of the "school of hard knocks"

LorenzoMoney

Activity: 335

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:13:26 AM

This is sad because I did like their website and interface more than MtGox.
The Bitcoin world needs more exchanges not less.

Got my Bitcoin out to my wallet in time, but Bitfloor owes me a good chunk of US$.
I do hope they honor their debts, and pay all people whom they owe.

If anyone from Bitfloor is reading this, please indicate how and when you are going to resolve problems related to USD that you owe former users.

https://twitter.com/Lorenzo_Money -- Bitcoin Address: 1EttqaSSCksRAXrwejoChs5zmGjSikN9mC -- http://lorenzomoney.wordpress.com/
The Bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking. - Jonathan Swift
DOGE COIN address: DSYMgD1HfmJFwNuc6Zvhp7PkrVD1QRBsgu
johnblaze

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:28:13 AM

That's actually a good question.

It was said the e-mail would be sent out in small grouops so as not to completely disrupt the market @ bitfloor, but it seems like alot of people didn't get notified.

Did you have a USD balance? Maybe they only notified people with a USD balance, or maybe only if you have a BTC balance or something. Not sure, but I got the e-mail 8am.

i have a large -ish USD balance and hardly any BTC on there because i sold prior to this last drop to $50.

i wish i wouldve known because then i couldve bought BTC and just withdraw my BTC
antimattercrusader

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:39:29 AM

BitcoinAshley, again.. +1.  Grin You're 100% right about googling paypal scams, paypal limitation etc. After I had my bad experience, I googled that to check on solutions. Wish I had googled before! Like 80% of info on them online is negative. It's amazing they're still in business - but it's a chicken and egg scenario really... hopefully bitcoin will eventually end them.  

If I'm not mistaken, CampBX has a dwolla option as well.

Update on my previous post about my BTC not sending from Bitfloor, they finally cleared. I imagine they had them in an offline wallet or something. Another +1 for bitfloor. Hopefully they return to fight another day.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:44:35 AM

I would point out we used BofA at one time.  If bitfloor got the same kind of shutdown notice that our company did, BofA provided no explanation, no freeze of funds, didn't block any services, and simply informed us we had 30 days to finish business and our account would be closed.  BofA informed us we had done nothing wrong however their deposit agreement allows them to close any account at any time for any reason (or without reason) with 30 days notice.  They gave us 30 days notice and everything on the account functioned normally until midnight 30 days later when it all shutdown.  They even let me make a $18,000 cash withdraw the last day.  We got a cashier's check in the mail for the closing balance (couple hundred bucks I left to cover any check card transactions) a week later..

Roman didn't say anything about the account being closed in a few days.  
He didn't say anything about the account be frozen.  
At this point the only thing he said is that the account WILL (future tense) be closed.  
I don't have any inside knowledge but since I went through something similar in 20012 I thought I might provide some insight.

If I had to guess Roman suspending trading to wind things down LONG BEFORE the account gets shutdown in order to ensure that everyone gets their funds back without delay.  Doing it now would let me payout all current ACH, verify all unverified accounts, and payout those ACH before the account is closed.  Once again I have no inside information just basing this on my own recent similar experience.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2013, 02:44:47 AM

*lol* On their home internet connection? Really? They run a domain, the mail server, from their home net connection. Funny how I don't know ANYONE who does that. I know people who have shared hosting, VPS, dedicated server doing that, but on their home net connection? Really?

Hihi! Nice to meet you. Now you do know someone who does that  Cheesy
antimattercrusader

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 02:45:51 AM

I would point out we used BofA at one time.  If bitfloor got the same kind of shutdown notice that our company did, BofA provided no explanation, no freeze of funds, didn't block any services, and simply informed us we had 30 days to finish business and our account would be closed.

Roman didn't say anything about the account being closed in a few days.  He didn't say anything about the account be frozen.  At this point the only thing he said is that the account WILL (future tense) be closed.  I don't have any inside knowledge but since I went through something similar in 20012 I thought I might provide some insight.

If I had to guess Roman suspending trading to wind things down LONG BEFORE the account gets shutdown in order to ensure that everyone gets their funds back without delay.

BOA'd... Gox'd..... eh.... I'd rather be gox'd.

BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 03:06:35 AM

Got my Bitcoin out to my wallet in time, but Bitfloor owes me a good chunk of US$.
I do hope they honor their debts, and pay all people whom they owe.

If anyone from Bitfloor is reading this, please indicate how and when you are going to resolve problems related to USD that you owe former users.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, I think that perhaps you misunderstand the situation.
There is no debt, they don't owe anybody anything (in regards to the current situation). There is no problem relating to USD that they owe users (in regards to the current situation). If you have USD in bitfloor, simply ACH it out same as you'd do after you sold coins and wanted the cash.

Let me emphasize: There is no problem relating to USD, there is no debt, there is nobody owing anybody anything. This was made clear in the announcement and the email. You can get your USD out perfectly fine.

However, there is a chance that I misunderstood you, and that you are in fact one of the unfortunate people who had Bitcoins stored in Bitfloor when it was hacked in 2012. In this case, Bitfloor owes you bitcoins not USD, and they have been slowly paying back those who were users at that time and you would already know this, which is why I assumed you misunderstood the situation with the USD. (In this case, you'd be screwed unless Bitfloor resumed operations, since they are paying back those users with current and future trading comissions.) Not to worry, your dollars are safe! Cheesy
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 »
  Print  

Jump to: